Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Weird fistfights.  (Read 15929 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Weird fistfights.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 07:41:29 am »

Well, time to armor up the important dwarves. Hell, everyone should be armored, at least in leather, so fistfights just entertain dwarves (it's true, apparently my dwarves get unfocused due to NOT fighting and starting trouble) instead of sending them to the hospital.

Also delicious military skill increases !

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 08:49:29 am »

Well, time to armor up the important dwarves.

Not until 0.42.03, ETA Saturdayish. :(
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 09:47:38 am »

I've seen this too. 2 miners just stopped working and duked out until one was unconscious. That one still has a mangled thumb to show for it. The thoughts and needs clearly detailed they had an argument which escalated to physical contact. They both felt great after having vented their emotions. They were back to work after the bruised one washed herself up.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 04:33:48 pm »

The fun really was within you all along.
I usually wait for the final bugfix version before I pick up a new release, but this amount of emergent gameplay is tempting.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 04:44:17 pm »

The fun really was within you all along.
I usually wait for the final bugfix version before I pick up a new release, but this amount of emergent gameplay is tempting.

I'm usually of the same mind, but this version is actually very playable even without utilities and bug fixes. You could run a completely peaceful fort and there's lots of fun to be had IMO. That said, I can't wait for military bugs and the rest of the new feature bugs to be resolved. This version feels like it's going to be something special. Playing bleeding edge vanilla also means you can help out with reporting bugs if you're so inclined.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 04:52:19 pm »

I must say i surprised myself into not being utterly lost without DFTherapist when dealing with my 149 dwarves.
Giving nickname to your best skilled dwarves helps a very lot though.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 05:28:17 pm »

I must say i surprised myself into not being utterly lost without DFTherapist when dealing with my 149 dwarves.
Giving nickname to your best skilled dwarves helps a very lot though.

I don't think I would ever survive without custom profession names. Never been a fan of nicknames though.
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 05:42:14 pm »

It seems weird that Dwarven Justice doesn't have anything to say about it, but I'm happy to see things like this. The dwarves certainly have a lot more personality in this release.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 07:01:54 pm »

It seems weird that Dwarven Justice doesn't have anything to say about it, but I'm happy to see things like this. The dwarves certainly have a lot more personality in this release.

Eh, perfectly content with it not being reported to the powers that be. Far as I'm concerned, dorfs take petty conflict as simply a fact of life and there's no sense bothering a noble about it unless someone's been done a serious wrong.

Silfarion

• Bay Watcher
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 01:53:11 am »

instead of sending them to the hospital.

I dunno, something like this provides a steady stream of injured dwarves for your medical crew to practice their skills on.
BEARDS! BEARDS FOR THE POOR!

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 02:29:37 am »

My fights provide a steady stream of dwarves to the grave!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 04:50:05 am »

instead of sending them to the hospital.

I dunno, something like this provides a steady stream of injured dwarves for your medical crew to practice their skills on.

When the random dwarves get injured I don't mind, but when the fights inevitably kill/cripple a weaponsmith/legendary miner/my only decent grower...

Kenshi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 02:25:20 pm »

Had that fistfight thing too.First time i thought that is a weird case of tantrum spiral(2 of my dwarfs were eated by giant king snake) but in another fortress when situation repeated i noticed that catalyst was a dwarf child that was angry coz his pet died(or at least i think it was a pet it was written like "cant believe that he has died" in thoughts).That caused a huge brawl in the meeting hall (around 50 dwarfs+riot militia unit) that was supressed by riot unit(shields+training weapons) and as result 6 dead(4 of them were killed by mad miner) and few dosens of immobilized dwarfs.So "order" was restored(blame major).So as conclusion the best tactic is to prevent this fun is do not allow a large gatherings of dwarfs(keep them busy, set up many meeting places not settle too many of them on 1 z level) and ofc keep a riot unit to quckly supress them in non lethal way.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 02:36:31 pm »

Had a fistfight and my legendary minor took serious injuries, and later died from them.  No murder charges or anything with justice.

A sheriff or fortress guard in the tavern should be able to break up fist fights and bring the instigator to jail or beat him.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 02:46:12 pm »

Hold on, the fights don't count as crimes? That seems to be a bug that someone should report.

Shortly after my new Tavern, "The Mighty Lunches" opened for business a Goblin Hammerman came to visit. (!! Apparently it's OK for armed Goblins to just hang out in my fortress now?!)

The Goblin almost immediately got into a drunken altercation with my dwarf Mechanic and they duked it out on the dance floor. My Mechanic is apparently a badass and knocked out half the Goblins teeth which went skittering over the stone floor, without sustaining any serious injuries himself. :D

-nomad_delta
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 05:48:28 pm by nomad_delta »
Pages: 1 [2] 3