Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Culture: Musicals  (Read 1513 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Culture: Musicals
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 12:01:08 pm »

does Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog count? :P

Yes. Yes it does! At least in my book.

Musicals with songs == good.   :D
Musicals with sung dialog == bad.   >:(

So ye hate Recitative style. :P

Can't say I really blame you. It's more of an Opera thing, but in all reality, Les Miserables is basically an Opera for all intents and purposes. The amount of time spent singing is exceedingly massive and there might only be one or two sections where actual speaking dialogue is employed. Plot is delivered only through music, which can be dangerous when you have an important idea you need to get out.

However! What Disney stuff do you enjoy? I may or may not be able to recommend something.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 12:20:57 pm »

It's a pity that Soli and Vector's musical stream nights didn't take off due to RL issues. Those were some of the funnest streams ever.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 01:38:08 pm »

However! What Disney stuff do you enjoy? I may or may not be able to recommend something.

Honestly I pretty much love it all.  I can't think of any disney movie with singing that I didn't enjoy.   :P    Maybe if I watched more musicals I'd get a bit more discerning.

I also love it when cartoons (like Adventure time or Steven Universe) or shows (like Buffy the Vampire Slayers musical episode) have songs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:39:57 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 03:18:30 pm »

Lemme think here then...

Shrek the Musical is actually pretty damn good. There is a recording on Netflix with an absolutely dazzling performance as Sutton Foster as Fiona. In the same vein of things, Into the Woods is a comedy/drama classic and plays off the idea of Fairy Tales as well; while also managing to really stick it to the audience during the second act in all the right ways.

In a completely different vein, Matilda is a favorite of mine musically. I've never watched a performance of it, but at the very least I can vouch for the music being solid.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 06:45:12 pm »

I'll put Into the Woods on my watch list, that sounds like something I'd like.    :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 09:06:53 pm »

Well, I'm really fond of the music from The Phantom of the Opera. Recall going to see it in theatre as a kid and was familiar enough with the plot to be alarmed that the chandelier was positioned over the actual audience. :P

Also saw Man of La Mancha for the second time recently and enjoyed it a lot.

I had a soundtrack for "Cats" that I listened to about ten thousand times when I was a kid, so that brings back good memories. Though even when I actually got to see it live the plot was incomprehensible to me.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 01:02:23 am »

Aha!

I also cannot stop recommending Hamilton, mostly because it just impresses the hell out of me. Other than, that some less notable shows like Ordinary Days are also good. I've never seen Fiddler on the Roof, but I've listened to the show extensively and have read the screenplay.

If you haven't already you should see/watch/listen to In The Heights, also by Lin-Manuel Miranda who is just a goddamn genius.

Also, I also prefer the sung-through musicals. Les Mis is my favorite by far that I've seen.

I now remember that I also got to see a Czech production of The Three Musketeers. It was a humorous piece and I got to see it in of the famous revolving theatres. Something to try if you have the time.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:06:20 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 [2]