Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Culture: Musicals  (Read 1511 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Culture: Musicals
« on: December 07, 2015, 07:48:29 pm »

I far as I can see, we don't have any thread here dedicated to the discussion of Musical Theatre. So let's start one! I'd like for this to be a place where we can all discuss, recommend, and alert other Theatre-lovers to Musicals out there now or in the works!

For myself, I've only really been exposed to American Broadway, with a few exceptions: (In no particular order)

Hamilton (I have yet to see it on Broadway, but I can't get enough of the album)
Les Miserables
Billy Elliot
A Christmas Carol
The Lion King
South Pacific
In the Heights
The Addams Family
White Christmas
Beauty and the Beast
and the Berlin production of Hinterm Horizont
and some more I probably can't remember right now!

I hope we can all discuss our love for Musicals here! I'll start us off: I really recommend Hamilton to anyone who likes historical drama or has an interest in American history, or just if you like Lin-Manuel Miranda (who's a genius!)

Go!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Culture: Musicals
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:04:26 pm »

For myself:
The Lion King
War Horse (not even a musical)
London theatre is expensive as fuck, but what few things I've seen have been stellar

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 09:49:37 pm »

I heartily recommend seeing a live production of Wicked, should anyone come across one.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 10:13:39 pm »

Paint Your Wagon has always been one of my favorites.

"God made the mountains,
God made the sky...
God made the people,
God knows why."

-- Ben Rumson

Best Little Whorehouse in Texas is also entertaining. As is How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 10:21:00 pm »

Musicals are a tool of the devil, and must be purged from the world.

I say this as someone who did his share of theater in high school, and it was ALWAYS FUCKING MUSICALS.
"Let us do King Lear!" we would exclaim. "Or Enemy of the People! Or Death of a Salesman!"

And then instead we'd get some steaming pile of shit like Bye Bye Birdie. I mean, not even a good musical like Cabaret.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:45:08 pm »

The only musicals I've ever seen performed by people over the age of 17 are The Mikado and The King and I, both at the theater in my home town. The Mikado was great, just the right mix of serious and over the top that put it in its well deserved place of recognition, but The King and I was kinda disappointing. The guy playing the King of Siam didn't have nearly the presence required, and even though the rest of the main cast wan't quite as disappointing it all seemed rather forced.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:48:36 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 03:41:56 am »

The only musicals I've ever seen performed by people over the age of 17 are The Mikado and The King and I, both at the theater in my home town. The Mikado was great, just the right mix of serious and over the top that put it in its well deserved place of recognition

Yeah, I got to see The Mikado live here, and it was great. They also managed some very tasteful modernisations.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 03:43:08 am »

I heartily recommend seeing a live production of Wicked, should anyone come across one.
+1 to this, I saw the recent touring cast production of it just a month or so back and it was amazing. :D

Some other recommendations if you can see them are:
Guys and Dolls
Fiddler on the Roof - Definitely a favorite, and the movie version is really good too if you've never seen it (make sure you get the 1971 version at ~181 minutes though, the 1979 version cuts 32 minutes out of it including two songs).

South Pacific
The only problem that I have with South Pacific is that so many times groups will cut the song "You've Got to be Carefully Taught", despite the fact that it's pretty much the entire crux of the whole musical. There's a reason why Rogers and Hammerstein actually said "that this number represented why they had wanted to do this play, and that even if it meant the failure of the production, it was going to stay in"! Don't cut it! :-\
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 07:30:07 am »

Fiddler on the Roof is a really good one too.

First musical I ever remember seeing was Jesus Christ Superstar. It's far back enough to be super hazy, but it can be a powerful show too, although it depends a lot on a really good Judas.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 08:34:57 am »

Aha!

I also cannot stop recommending Hamilton, mostly because it just impresses the hell out of me. Other than, that some less notable shows like Ordinary Days are also good. I've never seen Fiddler on the Roof, but I've listened to the show extensively and have read the screenplay.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 10:59:42 am »

Yellow Submarine is the best musical.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 04:47:41 pm »

Bat out of Hell (Meat Loaf). That so theatrical I call that a musical, not rock and roll.
Meat Loaf himself is originally a theater man, which might explain that
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 04:49:36 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 04:51:21 pm »

When I visited New York, I saw 'Chicago' on Broadway. That was rather good.
Aside from that...

does Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog count? :P
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 04:55:17 pm »

Speaking of Meat Loaf, Rocky Horror is also the best musical. And depending where you're at it might be performed regularly near you.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 06:45:40 pm »

I am uncultured swine and so don't know much about musicals other than Disney flicks that have lots of singing and Dr. Horrible.

However I'd like to state that I despise musicals that are just regular movies, but with the lines sung instead of spoken.  My roommate was once watching a musical like that with his girlfriend, and I think it might have been Les Miserables.  I could not stand it.

Musicals with songs == good.   :D
Musicals with sung dialog == bad.   >:(
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: [1] 2