Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Those Keas!! DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL.  (Read 6277 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Those Keas!! DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL.
« on: December 04, 2015, 01:12:34 pm »

I'm really getting tired of these damned demon birds from hell. It's year one in my fortress, my civilization is dead so I have a very small population. I have no marksdwarves. And swarms of freaking Keas are constantly assaulting my fortress trying to steal items from the depot that my Dwarves are too lazy to take to the stockpile when it's clear, and too fearful when these tiny little birds are flying overhead. I have EIGHT War Grizzly Bears and 3 milita dwarves guarding the depot, but these wretches keep coming and stealing steel weapons and armor that are several times over their size and weight to possibly be able to carry. Some die, but most get away. They are actually wearing down MY GRIZZLY BEARS who are 200 times larger than the Keas. They all have cut open paws, bruised tissue.. It's ridiculous. I can't get anything done because they are constantly chasing away everyone who comes to the surface to bring goods inside. Meanwhile, I have two idiots who have climbed up trees and are now stuck and very thirsty/hungry, so while dealing with these demon birds I have to try and cut the tree out from under them, stock the hospital, and dig down into the cavern to build a well because everything is frozen over. But I can't build the well because of the Keas are blocking access to the goods needed to build it.

Please tell me how I can edit the raws in my savegame to make these blighted little terrors DIE DIE DIE. Can I remove their lungs or something and make them all suffocate? I imagine I could remove their [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] tag to make them stop stealing, but no, these little buggers need to die.

/impotentrage
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 01:17:28 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
Re: Those Keas!! DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 01:18:52 pm »

I suggest removing the BRAIN from the line that says:

[BODY:HUMANOID_ARMLESS_NECK:2WINGS:2EYES:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:GIZZARD:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:4TOES:BEAK:TONGUE:RIBCAGE]

In [your save folder]/raws/objects/creature_birds_new.txt

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Beer loving Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 01:30:13 pm »

Heh, I got a small story.

So I decided to embark on the wilderness on a calm place to test the new update. I brought some basic weaponry, turkeys, dogs and a cat (not 2 because LMAO 2CAT). As my dorves started to dig a hole in the ground, I didn't notice the 8 FUCKING KEAS that came out of nowhere and stole ALL OF MY WEAPONRY except for a helmet and a copper battle axe (used for cutting trees). I, of course, panicked as soon as I noticed the damn birds taking away my shit and sent my two miners (who were also a makeshift militia) who weren't really capable of getting them as we also lacked any crossbow (gg me).

I just ignored the fact I was basically defenceless and continued.

Fast forward to caravan arrival, start to trade prepared food for iron and steel equipment so I can melt it and make weapons, when suddenly...

GIANT
FUCKING
KEAS

They fucked up the caravan so easily it was ridiculous, the rng god wasn't on their side... And mine neither. I had my dwarves hauling wood to a stockpile when the keas started to attack them. They all shat their pants and climbed onto the trees. Because "Let's run away from flying creatures by climbing closer to them guise!".

Long story short, the giant keas attacked my dwarves on top of the trees, made them jump, and they all got injured. I didn't have any medical equipment yet so everyone's injuries started to rot and they died. A few dwarves drowned because they fell on the water and injured their heads, falling unconscious. The keas proceeded to steal the rest of my shit and then just got the fuck out.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 01:37:42 pm »

And here I thought the regular Keas were bad. They seem to be master appraisers too, because I swear they always steal what is the most valuable.

A Fort reduced to ruin by giant parrots. Only in Dwarf Fortress.

Well, I am eager to see some brainless Keas drop dead out of the sky. Just wish I could gather up their bodies AND EAT THEM. Thanks BenLubar!

EDIT: Removing their brain makes the game crash a short while after loading the game. Presumably when they enter the map or somesuch. So sadly that isn't working. I also tried changing 2LUNGS to 0LUNGS and that also causes a crash.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:03:32 pm by BoogieMan »

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 01:42:56 pm »

I'm almost tempted to delete them from the raws, along with buzzards and vultures.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 01:50:01 pm »

I'm almost tempted to delete them from the raws, along with buzzards and vultures.

I'm seriously considering doing that myself, they are too often just a headache that I don't need.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:02:28 pm by BoogieMan »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 01:55:27 pm »

It's better to site the depot underground, or at least under a cover. The guard bears can defend a single tunnel or structure much more effectively than an outdoor area with an open sky. Plus you don't need to constantly crank out bolts to keep your SAM sites marksdwarves supplied.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 02:26:50 pm »

You can also remove their flier tag. That makes them fall to their death.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 02:58:57 pm »

There's nothing wrong with roofing over any above ground fortress.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 03:28:16 pm »

You can also remove their flier tag. That makes them fall to their death.
That's a good thing to do actually, fliers means they're going to have lots more pathfinding calculations than ground creatures, so it may impact performance, removing the flier tag should help with that.

And additionally prevent them to be the complete nuisance they are if you have no marksdwarves, as your ground troops will then be able to get them.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 03:52:22 pm »

"Kea were sponsored by the generous contributions of the Bay 12 community."

Begin the Inquisition, I'll supply the hot irons.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 04:58:02 pm »

Giant kea.... Oh god. Sure, one can put stuff underground to make it easier to defend.. but defending against giant Kea is another thing alltogether.

That being said a pack of war grizzlies would probably stand a chance
Magma is overrated.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 05:59:16 pm »

Build a depot with two hallways, one you can wall off with a bridge and the other lined with cage traps. Trap those suckers, train 'em, slaughter 'em, and feast for days on kea meat.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 10:39:49 pm »

1: I am lightheaded from laughing at this thread.

2: Do not delete Keas - that is a bitch move. :)

3: I also hate Keas, and I hope they die horribly.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 10:45:03 pm »

Have a few hunters in your fort, they really help when there's a Kea infestation :)
Pages: [1] 2 3