Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Instrument Thoughts, how do you imagine they look.  (Read 4760 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Instrument Thoughts, how do you imagine they look.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 03:00:58 pm »

One of my civ's instruments:

The gärem is a huge stationary percussion instrument.  It consists of a bone triangle.  The musician strikes the triangle.  The instrument has a single low pitch.  The instrument has a resonant timbre.

I like to imagine it being made from a brontosaurus bone or something....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 03:16:27 pm »

One of my civ's instruments:

The gärem is a huge stationary percussion instrument.  It consists of a bone triangle.  The musician strikes the triangle.  The instrument has a single low pitch.  The instrument has a resonant timbre.

I like to imagine it being made from a brontosaurus bone or something....

I'm confused as to how hitting a bone creates a resonant timbre. Unless it was the bone from a bronze colossus.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 03:18:35 pm »

After creating a bard character, I've been spending the past few days simply trying to draw it, with no success. It's mainly because of the confusion of what the hell a "Yoke" is, and even after going through so many websites, I'm still not sure what I'm looking at. I don't have a screen shot, but I did take a few notes:
   Clear Glass "Nastrisp" (means Blot in the DF Human language)
Has a "Yoke" made from Graphite,
a clear glass Sound Chest,
5 strings made from "Shadow Stuff" (the kind that's only found in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and a Bow made of custard apple wood.
The whole thing is tuned via pegs and levers,
has a four octave range from mid-low to a very high pitch,
and it has a "Brittle piercing strident timbre."

any thoughts on what it may closely resemble/ what is a yoke would be helpful.
My favorite one so far is the Spuxi that a gorlak bard brought. It's a clear glass block that is plucked to create a single high pitch. I just love the idea of a simple, delicately created instrument made by a primitive culture.
That's actually pretty cool! It almost hints at a cultural difference between Gorlaks and other races. I wonder if Toad programmed it so that cavern races would have less complicated instruments?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 03:30:06 pm »

It's an accordion/pipe organ/bagpipe.
Accordions are bellows-driven and have a keyboard.

So were medieval and early modern organs (big organs required extras to work the bellows - with their feet). I think the mention of both flue and reed pipes very strongly points towards a portable organ, but i wouldn't exclude an accordion with drones.

I have a variety of instruments in my tavern. Several are just variations on the harp (frame, body, several dozen strings plucked with a plectrum, no way to alter pitch; curiosly, several use textile fibres for strings which i wouldn't expect to give a very clear sound), a kind of mandoline with a glass neck, two types of trombones (wind instrument with a slide to alter pitch; one is wooden, the other made from stone), one's a pretty fancy bagpipe - it has a windbag, a blowpipe (metal), a melody pipe (metal) and a pair of drone pipes (glass). And then there's a drum with adjustable-tension leather head, giving it a two-octave range.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 07:19:53 pm »

After creating a bard character, I've been spending the past few days simply trying to draw it, with no success. It's mainly because of the confusion of what the hell a "Yoke" is, and even after going through so many websites, I'm still not sure what I'm looking at. I don't have a screen shot, but I did take a few notes:
   Clear Glass "Nastrisp" (means Blot in the DF Human language)
Has a "Yoke" made from Graphite,
a clear glass Sound Chest,
5 strings made from "Shadow Stuff" (the kind that's only found in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and a Bow made of custard apple wood.
The whole thing is tuned via pegs and levers,
has a four octave range from mid-low to a very high pitch,
and it has a "Brittle piercing strident timbre."

any thoughts on what it may closely resemble/ what is a yoke would be helpful.
My favorite one so far is the Spuxi that a gorlak bard brought. It's a clear glass block that is plucked to create a single high pitch. I just love the idea of a simple, delicately created instrument made by a primitive culture.
That's actually pretty cool! It almost hints at a cultural difference between Gorlaks and other races. I wonder if Toad programmed it so that cavern races would have less complicated instruments?
I think that's the volute, or the "head" part on top of the neck for a Violin.

So you got a 5-string glass/carbon fibre violin analogue.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 08:57:39 pm »

Huh, neat. I bet it looks Bad Ass with the shadow stuff. Thanks!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 12:41:09 am »

Huh, neat. I bet it looks Bad Ass with the shadow stuff. Thanks!

Hario does produce a few glass string instruments. Overall the sound is much less warm and more piercing even for low registers. They don't have HFS for string of course, but I bet using something this hard will make tuning very difficult.

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 03:36:26 am »

I've got an instrument that's fairly straight-forward (a conical stone wind instrument), but I'm a little confused by this line:
The musician selects the pitch by achieving higher and higher harmonics and can also stop holes.
Thankfully, there are no runaway holes in my fort (thanks to the presence of the mighty Okol). Do you think this might just be a typo/generation error?

The rest of my instruments are really boring, including not one but two drums of basically the same shape (one is bone and the other is stone, with leather heads).

Remember, if your holes are running away, fetch your Okol!
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 05:29:10 am »

I've got an instrument that's fairly straight-forward (a conical stone wind instrument), but I'm a little confused by this line:
The musician selects the pitch by achieving higher and higher harmonics and can also stop holes.
Thankfully, there are no runaway holes in my fort (thanks to the presence of the mighty Okol). Do you think this might just be a typo/generation error?

The rest of my instruments are really boring, including not one but two drums of basically the same shape (one is bone and the other is stone, with leather heads).

Remember, if your holes are running away, fetch your Okol!
Well this is standard for woodwind instruments. Grab a recorder/Tin whistle and try to play all the notes on the fingering chart if you don't understand.

By stopping a hole you cover the hole by a finger or a pad attached to a key.

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 09:07:40 am »

Well this is standard for woodwind instruments. Grab a recorder/Tin whistle and try to play all the notes on the fingering chart if you don't understand.

I get what it meant by stopping holes, just the grammar felt a bit off to me at first. The more I think about it the more sense it makes. 'The musician [...] can also stop holes.'
I just thought it was funny, worded like that. Maybe you can plug holes with the Okol too? It is conical ...
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 11:43:05 am »

I get what it meant by stopping holes, just the grammar felt a bit off to me at first. The more I think about it the more sense it makes. 'The musician [...] can also stop holes.'
I just thought it was funny, worded like that. Maybe you can plug holes with the Okol too? It is conical ...
Well the Oboe and recorder both have conical bores. Try plugging a hole with these.
Pages: 1 [2]