Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Instrument Thoughts, how do you imagine they look.  (Read 4757 times)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Instrument Thoughts, how do you imagine they look.
« on: December 04, 2015, 03:39:24 am »

I'm no good at large topics like this but I just wanted to share one of the procedural Generated Instruments in my Current Fortress/world  It's called the Solon and I'm pretty sure it's basically an acoustic/analog Keytar made of stone.

See smaller image in lower post.  unless you get scroll bars in spoiler tags.  Then this one might be easier to read.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh if you decide to post an image of  the description maybe put it in spoilers incase to files to large

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:21:42 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Instrument Thoughts, how do you imagine they look.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 05:20:44 am »

All of them that generate with like, 100+ pipes on them amuse me to no end, ngl. It's like, put together this GIANT PIPE ORGAN, haul it around like it's nothing.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 06:17:32 am »

the expanded spoiler cuts off part of the image.

When I read it it said it has "strings made of meta"

Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 06:38:24 am »

the expanded spoiler cuts off part of the image.

When I read it it said it has "strings made of meta"

on firefox (at least) there are scroll bars at the bottom. But yeah: the need to scroll is... annoying.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 08:58:27 am »

I have something called a Zot. It's basically a grand organ, but attached to 69 bells - I can't remember which off the top of my head, but I think they're made of ceramic or stone. The organ playe hits the keys on the organ that play the bells. So I imagine a giant keyboard under, or infront of, a giant metal multi-tiered frame, on which are hung rows on rows of bells going from small to large/high to low. I guess that their either attached to ropes or they're attached to beaters of some kind, which pont the press of the key, triggers the stick or rope to move, causing the bell to be struck or ring.

That gives two interpretatins of the kind of music it makes. Either you get a standard bell ring, creating one continuous multi-resonant chorus like sound with a lot of reverb and echo, rising and falling depending on how fast the notes are played, or you get a strange type of half-drum-half organ sound with some interesting resonance and verb qualities. Sort of like if a drum kit of made entirely of cymbals, but with more wiggle room and a very wide range of sound.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 05:50:16 am by WordsandChaos »

icefox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 01:33:59 pm »

I have something called a Zot. It's basically a grand organ, but attached to 69 bells - I can't remember which off the top of my head, but I think they're made f ceramic or stone. The organ player hits the keys on the organ that play the bells.

These exist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carillon

I've heard one played, they're pretty awesome.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 08:14:57 pm »

Ah woops let me see if I can get a smaller window with the description I tend to play with something that go all the way across my screen (But maybe only 75% down the screen)\

Looked up some youtube videos of a Carillon and songs being played on it... I found new "weird" instrument I like.   It's not really weird but it sounds awesome and Metal songs sound really cool on one.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:36:26 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

roushguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 04:13:50 am »

He was possessed. Clearly, this instrument is some kind of unholy demon from Weird Al's darkest nightmares.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 04:44:51 am »

He was possessed. Clearly, this instrument is some kind of unholy demon from Weird Al's darkest nightmares.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In other words, an accordion?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

roushguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 04:47:42 am »

It's an accordion/pipe organ/bagpipe.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 05:30:05 am »

I have something called a Zot. It's basically a grand organ, but attached to 69 bells - I can't remember which off the top of my head, but I think they're made f ceramic or stone. The organ player hits the keys on the organ that play the bells.

These exist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carillon

I've heard one played, they're pretty awesome.

That's fucking incredible.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 08:13:22 am »

Accordions are bellows-driven and have a keyboard. It doesn't say how big the pipes are. Given their number, I assume short and drinking straw-like. The pipes are superfluous, as accordions usually just have values and reeds.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:15:53 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 04:47:23 am »

Accordions are bellows-driven and have a keyboard. It doesn't say how big the pipes are. Given their number, I assume short and drinking straw-like. The pipes are superfluous, as accordions usually just have values and reeds.
An Accordion-Bagpipe hybrid, in the sense that a lot of the pipes are drones.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 08:42:40 am »

The pipes are superfluous, as accordions usually just have values and reeds.

My accordion is quite hedonistic, but strives for social justice.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 01:00:57 pm »

My favorite one so far is the Spuxi that a gorlak bard brought. It's a clear glass block that is plucked to create a single high pitch. I just love the idea of a simple, delicately created instrument made by a primitive culture.
Pages: [1] 2