Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103374 times)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #525 on: December 30, 2016, 10:45:15 pm »

Alright, if I change ideology or faction as someone with subjects, will they leave? (Going Fascist Britain, for example)

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 31, 2016, 12:25:01 am »

Alright, if I change ideology or faction as someone with subjects, will they leave? (Going Fascist Britain, for example)

If your ideology is different and your dominions havent done their stay with/leave focus, they will almost always leave the commonwealth if you're not the same ideology. Otherwise, they stay. There's no automatic 'get out of my house' for puppets.

Puppets always join your faction afaik
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 07, 2017, 10:18:17 am »

Does anyone play multi-player?  Seems like way too much hassle without a LAN. 

But I have two laptops, occurs to me I can have a ‘virtual multi-player’ game with simultaneous control of two countries.  Would be easy with HOI2 – came with a disc – but for 3 or 4, Steam family-play rules disallow, would require two coded copies.  I’m still thinking about HOI4, enjoy HOI3, would cost all of $10 to have a 2nd laptop enabled.  Or maybe Pirate Bay.   :)

Does anyone else do this?   
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #528 on: January 07, 2017, 01:28:34 pm »

Could you not just start the 2nd laptop's steam in offline mode and run it that way? I haven't tried.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 07, 2017, 08:04:39 pm »

Interesting idea, thanks!  From How-To Geek’s article on running Steam games off-line,
http:/www.howtogeek.com/117424/how-to-make-steams-offline-mode-work/

Steam’s offline mode is notoriously problematic. To ensure it will work properly, you should perform a series of steps while online. If you don’t, Steam is supposed to prompt you for offline mode – but this doesn’t always work properly.

Yeah, well … first time I tried it, didn’t work.  Not sure why, will keep futzing with it a bit and report back.  The idea of playing both US and UK simultaneously from ’36 with goal of taking on the Comintern late is tempting, might need to change the end date anyway. 

edit: Tried a simple cross-over setup, cable left over from days of playing Red Baron with a bud.  Doesn't work, HOI3 might have an online requirement default as part of the multiplayer setup.  Will keep trying. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:31:31 pm by jimboo »
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 08, 2017, 04:40:18 am »

So, anyone played that Götterdammerung mod? I finally foundsomething really challenging.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 23, 2017, 11:44:48 am »

Planning on getting this game quite soon.
But I have a question.. How complicated is the game, compared to CKII?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 23, 2017, 12:06:03 pm »

Planning on getting this game quite soon.
But I have a question.. How complicated is the game, compared to CKII?

Impossible to compare, really. Whereas most of the complications of CKII are mechanics related, HOIIV is all in the strategy and is as simple or complex as you want it to be. I mean, you can pull off some crazy shit with the right planning. Airborne Invasion of England by Belgium? Done it. Invade America as Fascist Netherlands? Done it. Encircle and the bulk of Allied forces in the Italian Alps? Done it.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 23, 2017, 12:07:08 pm »

So I won't be overwhelmed by the UI and stuff?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 23, 2017, 12:08:45 pm »

So I won't be overwhelmed by the UI and stuff?

If you can handle CKII's UI, you can handle HOIIVs UI.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #535 on: February 23, 2017, 03:52:17 pm »

My suggestion is watching some Let's Plays. They'll introduce you to the mechanics, which will be important :)

I can vouch for quill18's :)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 23, 2017, 04:31:22 pm »

If anything, the UI is much much simpler than CK2's (addmitedly I tried CK2 for an hour before giving up in frustration/resignation (partly because the game ran like ass on my old laptop)). Most of the stuff is straightforward like research, picking national focuses and cabinet personell. Construction is silly simple too, production is a bit more complex since you gotta juggle resources, factories, equipment models and the like and all of that comes well before designing and deploying divisions, which is simple once you learn it, but the sheer wall of info you're presented at first can be a bit daunting. Air and Naval stuff is kinda obtuse at first and not very well designed but they're promising a rework of some of it atleast in the next big patch. Combat itself is simply shuffling stuff around, but the tricky bit is figuring out what to shuffle, when and why, and again, a bunch of numbers and stats comes into it if you want to analyze and optimise but it can be simple enough to figure out if you're winning or not at a glance.

So yeah, game is relatively simple to pick up, arguably the simplest of all PD titles atm, maybe competing with Stellaris for that title, but it doesn't lack depth at all if you're looking for it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 23, 2017, 04:56:19 pm »

Well, this all answers my questions. Thanks.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 23, 2017, 10:09:02 pm »

If anything, the UI is much much simpler than CK2's (addmitedly I tried CK2 for an hour before giving up in frustration/resignation (partly because the game ran like ass on my old laptop)). Most of the stuff is straightforward like research, picking national focuses and cabinet personell. Construction is silly simple too, production is a bit more complex since you gotta juggle resources, factories, equipment models and the like and all of that comes well before designing and deploying divisions, which is simple once you learn it, but the sheer wall of info you're presented at first can be a bit daunting. Air and Naval stuff is kinda obtuse at first and not very well designed but they're promising a rework of some of it atleast in the next big patch. Combat itself is simply shuffling stuff around, but the tricky bit is figuring out what to shuffle, when and why, and again, a bunch of numbers and stats comes into it if you want to analyze and optimise but it can be simple enough to figure out if you're winning or not at a glance.

So yeah, game is relatively simple to pick up, arguably the simplest of all PD titles atm, maybe competing with Stellaris for that title, but it doesn't lack depth at all if you're looking for it.

Also for combat, you'll be able to delegate a good deal of the action to your generals and you'll be able to simply 'paint' the areas you want them to attack/defend and push the edge of that area out towards the opponent and they'll handle the rest.

Protip: Start a game as MURICA! as early as the game allows (i think 1934?) and work on learning how construction, production, assigning units to a general and assigning him the goal of defending all of the continental U.S all work. This will prep you a good deal on the basics. Build civ factories. EVERYWHERE. You'll need all of them.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 28, 2017, 10:09:44 am »

Alright. I bought the game, got stuck in the tutorial.. Started over as the US as JimboM12 suggested.. And..

edit:
What is the smallest nation I can be, without worrying about being eaten by larger nations at start?
I learn best by starting small and slowly expanding as I progress.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:20:51 am by Ultimuh »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 51