Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Version Performance?  (Read 4293 times)

maqertas

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWIMS_INNATE]
    • View Profile
Re: New Version Performance?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 04:08:18 pm »

The fortress mode is working quite astonishing, considering my well-worn hardware and compared to the lags in the previous version. The only significant performance drops happen in adventure mode, when I enter some heavily populated areas.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 06:36:00 pm »

Has anyone visited a dark fortress yet?  Are they still unplayable?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 08:30:59 pm »

I visited one , and it was unplayable :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9170
Didn't tried to visit more of them are there were a few on my world.

I had a human starting in one of those maze-like dwarven fortress in 42.01 too, and it was unplayable too (but fortunately, unlike a gob site, you can fast travel out of it)

So basically, both in adventure and fortress mode i have not noticed any difference in performance in comparions to df2014, at least for now, as i had not got a near full fort yet.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 11:53:21 pm »

For the most part, it's been very playable for me, with one exception in my fort with just over 20 dwarves, when speeds dropped down to something near 10fps (dwarves taking about 1 step/second) for my not-inconsiderable PC.

A lot happened in the fort at the time it bogged down (merchants came, I set up a library, got a moody dwarf, etc, etc), but near as I can figure, it was probably the moody dwarf - he'd been unable to path to the existing workshop to claim it, having been stranded on a ledge adjacent to an inaccessible ramp.  Shortly after identifying why he wasn't pathing and tearing down a wall to open a path, he claimed a workshop, and that's about the time the FPS returned to normal

If that's truly a cause of slowness, might merit a recreate and forwarding over to Toady.  Unfortunately, planning a mood to happen just when a dwarf is stranded is difficult.
//Torrenal

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 12:34:30 am »

For the most part, it's been very playable for me, with one exception in my fort with just over 20 dwarves, when speeds dropped down to something near 10fps (dwarves taking about 1 step/second) for my not-inconsiderable PC.

A lot happened in the fort at the time it bogged down (merchants came, I set up a library, got a moody dwarf, etc, etc), but near as I can figure, it was probably the moody dwarf - he'd been unable to path to the existing workshop to claim it, having been stranded on a ledge adjacent to an inaccessible ramp.  Shortly after identifying why he wasn't pathing and tearing down a wall to open a path, he claimed a workshop, and that's about the time the FPS returned to normal

If that's truly a cause of slowness, might merit a recreate and forwarding over to Toady.  Unfortunately, planning a mood to happen just when a dwarf is stranded is difficult.
//Torrenal

DFhack can force a strangemood, so if DFhack is updated, it can be easily tested.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 04:12:53 am »

With a fort of 23 dwarves it seems fast enough, but I have a feeling this version is even more sensitive to pathfinding issues. A single cat brought a 30-40 hit to FPS by relentlessly headbutting a pet-locked door in the lower levels. It had decided that it really wanted to get through that one door and kept spewing pathfinding spam until I unlocked it.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Aerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 06:13:25 am »

With 199 Dwarfs, nearly that many animals, 2 visitors, one human caravan unloading, one tavern but still no temple and no library I am hitting a 36 FPS which for me is fine and was what I had in the previous version.

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 12:18:18 pm »

I've found that the fps fluctuates much more in this version. 60-90 fps with 20 dwarves and 20ish residents and 20ish visitors sometimes drops to the 10-20 range for some time. I assume it has to do with world calculations.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 12:22:17 pm »

i have a 3 year fort, seems to be less lag than the last version though i dont have the amazing stockpile of 10000 barrels of sunshine and dwarven wine each like my last fort

i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/
Pages: 1 [2]