Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Version Performance?  (Read 4292 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
New Version Performance?
« on: December 02, 2015, 09:21:16 am »

Hey, I just wanted to make this thread to ask how the performance is in the new version. Better than DF2k14, worse? About the same?

My computer is pretty beefy so its not that big of a deal for me, but I'm sure it is for lots of other people.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Version Performance?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 10:51:10 am »

It handles about the same to me, but I've had quite a few crashes (as to be expected with a brand new release).
-An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer-
The Adventures of Lord Cikul Knifejoke
The Under Appreciated Anthropologist of Steel
-A Fortress History-
The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
Life in Canyonfuture

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 11:00:40 am »

Gameplay seems the same, but I haven't gotten too far into a fort yet. World gen and the calender did seem faster for me, which is something consider how much new stuff is going on.

I've been spared the crashes during world gen that others are having, though, so happy for that.

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 11:07:36 am »

My world gen only crashes if I try to generate a history longer than about 150 years. Most of my crashes happen after adventurer creation or randomly during adventure mode. I haven't tried fortress mode yet since I waiting for df hack and dwarf therapist to catch up.
-An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer-
The Adventures of Lord Cikul Knifejoke
The Under Appreciated Anthropologist of Steel
-A Fortress History-
The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
Life in Canyonfuture

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 11:13:26 am »

Adventure mode feels much slower to me when dealing with large number of units.

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 12:04:45 pm »

There are some random crashes for no apparent reason, which is to be expected from a brand new version. FPS-wise, I think it's a little better than 2014. I think they fixed some world pathing issues which might help. I only played for a few years yesterday though, I can see the clutter from mugs/toys/trinkets/etc becoming an issue later on.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 04:07:17 pm »

world gen crashed about 1 out of 6 when genning 250y worlds. calendar speeds seem to be extremely fast now

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 04:12:57 pm »

Can't say for sure because my old saves keep crashing before I can get a reliable FPS reading. :v

My new forts are running very smoothly, though, so it's probably not a turn for the worse.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 04:18:13 pm »

If you're having worldgen crash issues first try to set affinity for DF to one core (and don't tab out anywhere or leave the DF window) or run world gen through command line.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Command_line

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 03:42:22 am »

I've noticed an immediate difference in FPS while playing Fort mode. However, I also noticed its a lot more spastic.
It seems to freeze every so often and come back after 5 seconds or so.
Crashes seem to be a big thing, but hey... it's a first release, what should we have expected?

Adventure mode seems to run better in towns (I don't crash when I enter the market), but when I go near a Fortress the FPS drops dramatically.

I haven't been near a dark fortress, but I'd assume they might be a bit more manageable.

All in all, It could use some work.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 05:20:10 am »

If you're having worldgen crash issues first try to set affinity for DF to one core (and don't tab out anywhere or leave the DF window) or run world gen through command line.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Command_line
Thanks! It took me aboout 20 tries to get through worldgen without crashing. I'll try the command line and see if I get a better rate of return.

(What, I say elsewhere I wasn't going to have time to play this until this weekend? Um.... look over there! I'm busy over here doing my real work that has nothing whatsoever do with Dwarf Fortress. Busy, busy...)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 09:50:35 am »

I have actually noticed a slight increase in FPS. In previous version, 3*3 embark more or less flat embark site with stream running in one corner, with all features enabled would give me something like 200-300 FPS. In 0.42.01, I have noticed that my FPS stays pretty much above 400...

It could be coincident, but I think not. Perhaps Toady did some tweaking in Temperature and Weather calculations?
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 12:00:43 pm »

It could be the bug fixes too...the bugged army pathing for instance...who is to say if that wasn't stuck in a bad endless loop that affected performance or something before the fix...that would be my assumption as to where performance was boosted (if it has been in fact boosted in some way)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 12:47:14 pm »

Most of the performance issues seem to be bugs rather than intended behaviour.

At least the world flooded with horses are certainly a potential cause for this.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 03:17:07 pm »

Sodding brilliant on my end. I don't know if that' just my new computer, the update, and the medium sized world, - but I whipped through world gen, whipped through the time-screen, and then search for sites went through the entire world in less that 20 seconds.
70 population and FPS is constant at the cap of 60.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:37:10 pm by WordsandChaos »
Pages: [1] 2