Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 48101 times)

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2015, 02:38:40 pm »

Maybe personality factors in?
Two of my scholars are always scholaring, two of my scholars are always doing other things even though they all have the same labour settings and amount of things to get distracted by

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2015, 04:48:10 pm »

My island fortress's tavern, library and temples attracted no visitors. ...
I don't receive visitors unless there are multiple high-population civs of humans, dwarves, and elves, in addition to my fortress.  Then they're like ticks on a dog. :)  Can't get rid of 'em! heheh.

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2015, 07:31:13 pm »

My scholars wound up very distracted by... their wish to worship (temples built with tables and containers and musical instruments, but no dice...too small maybe?).

I read this as "no dice (objects crafted and assigned to temples.)" For a second I was very confused: "But dice are a tavern item, and I thought only in adventure mode?"

Also, worship needs aren't being met in 40.02 due to a bug, but there's a bugfix in the next release. Dwarves also won't spar, which might be why the "martial art" need isn't being met. I wish you could assign an area as a "gym" for dwarves to practice when they need to; that would reduce the micromanagement needed.
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2015, 07:52:34 pm »

I read this as "no dice (objects crafted and assigned to temples.)" For a second I was very confused: "But dice are a tavern item, and I thought only in adventure mode?"

Also, worship needs aren't being met in 40.02 due to a bug, but there's a bugfix in the next release. Dwarves also won't spar, which might be why the "martial art" need isn't being met. I wish you could assign an area as a "gym" for dwarves to practice when they need to; that would reduce the micromanagement needed.

I thought that was a 40.01 bug? My dwarves are receiving all the positive thoughts of praying. There are still a couple of dwarves distracted for lack of praying but it seems like they generally go over to the temple eventually. It's possible the dwarves are so caught up in some other activity/need that they aren't getting to it promptly.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2015, 10:25:38 pm »

Praying/meditating/worship works for me in 0.42.02.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2015, 12:57:24 am »

Figured it out.  Designate TEMPLES from tables.  Designate TAVERNS from meeting areas.  Now my tavernkeeper serves drinks properly and my dwarves are going and worshiping.  Just noticed one of the assigned performers serving drinks too, so that's a thing.

Except...one of my dwarves is still grumpy about not praying, even though everyone else has managed to get their faith on.  And it's my king.  He started as an average migrant, then got promoted to Baron of Somewhere Else quite suddenly - the liason helpfully informed us later on that Somewhere Else got conquered by goblins, hence the elevation.  Not that much later, the Baron was suddenly Kinged, and while plenty of dwarves have hit the temple to meditate on Death and Deformity, not him.

I kept working at it, and it looks like he wasn't the only one.  It looks like it's cleared up to some degree when I made a large temple to no specific deity but the king's need to pray is still in the red, while other worshipers of the same deity are having no issues. 

Edit: And when the king DOES have free time, he gladly goes to socialize in the tavern, but never sets foot in the temple, despite his anxiety.

Further edit:  And of course, when I look away, there he goes.

Although, come to think of it, I saved and loaded...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:20:14 am by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2015, 12:37:14 pm »

Do we yet have a way to assign specific books and scrolls to specific libraries? I want to keep my originals safe in a forbidden library only scribes access while having a big library of copies that everyone can access.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2015, 12:47:25 pm »

There's no way to assign books to a library.  You can make one library accessible only to citizens and a library accessible to everyone, and put scribes in the citizen only library and hope they copy enough books for use for everyone.  This would probably keep random traveling scholars from stealing your originals or something.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2015, 12:52:00 pm »

There's no way to assign books to a library.  You can make one library accessible only to citizens and a library accessible to everyone, and put scribes in the citizen only library and hope they copy enough books for use for everyone.  This would probably keep random traveling scholars from stealing your originals or something.
Troubling. What actions can I take to maximize the chance that any originals I produce are going to end up in the citizen-only library?

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2015, 05:03:19 pm »

they get put into the closest book shelf usually...so unless someone carries it out of the library (which I have personally never seen except from foreigners) they should stay where they are written

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2015, 05:16:21 pm »

they get put into the closest book shelf usually...so unless someone carries it out of the library (which I have personally never seen except from foreigners) they should stay where they are written
Okay, so I assign the scholars to the originals library, and the scribes to the copies library....wait, won't that cause the scribes to either grab originals and put them in the copies when they're done copying them or only copy other copies?

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2015, 05:23:27 pm »

Okay, so I assign the scholars to the originals library, and the scribes to the copies library....wait, won't that cause the scribes to either grab originals and put them in the copies when they're done copying them or only copy other copies?
I don't know if the respective scribes and scholars of the library are the only people that can place books. Book ownership is fortress wide no? We need librarians!
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2015, 05:24:39 pm »

they would only copy stuff that foreigners write in the library open to everyone.

The easiest way to do it (I think...not tried) is to make originals, set them to be dumped and have a refuse pile in a new library to be copied, then set the copies to be dumped in the open for everyone library...just make sure after they are moved you take them out of the refuse pile.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2015, 05:35:31 pm »

I think I figured out a better way: Set up an originals library, a first copy library, and a public library. Make the originals and their first copies in the originals library, dump the first copies into the first copy library where second copies are made from them, then dump the second copies into the public library. You can make additional copies in either the first copy or public library, but the originals library needs to be kept free of copies so there's always more room for originals.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 11, 2015, 05:36:41 pm »

does the game specify what is a copy vs an original? I have not seen a copy yet myself
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16