Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 48115 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2015, 03:44:01 pm »

Draw area over? I'm not talking about meeting areas or anything. You set the bedroom as normal, and then you can hit l (from the q menu of the bedroom) and it'll bring up a list of locations. Just assign it from there and it'll count. Then you just wait until you have petitioners and when you accept them, they'll claim a room when they get tired. No one else should, far as I know.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2015, 03:45:46 pm »

Holy crap I'm dumb. I also read "l" as "i".
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2015, 03:51:21 pm »

No problem. Always fun helping folks out.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2015, 04:12:44 pm »

Bug Watch:
Scribes appear to be fixed for 42.03.

Quote from: Toady One
Cool -- I saw the scribe copy Position for Everyone and another book, so it seems to be working.   
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2015, 04:19:31 pm »

Yay, somebody is writing my first book.

Is it OK to make random people scholars? I don't want to lose valuable workers, will they still work?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2015, 04:38:29 pm »

I finally noticed someone playing an instrument in my tavern today! A visiting human bowman decided to play the asiz while one of my dwarves performed a dance, accompanied by one of my dwarves singing and a visiting human poet beatboxing.

The Asiz is a large stationary percussion instrument consisting of a bone bar, struck by a musician. (Mine is made of giant mole bone.) It's hard to get more primal than that.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2015, 05:03:16 pm »

Yay, somebody is writing my first book.

Is it OK to make random people scholars? I don't want to lose valuable workers, will they still work?

Yes...tavern activities, temple activities, and scholar activities all seem to replace simple idling. If a dwarf has no work they will likely end up in a tavern or temple unless they are a scholar then they are generally in a library. Dwarves will sometimes stop working to fill the needs these places offer regardless of if they have a job or not.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2015, 05:21:10 pm »

@vjek: I've tried to build a nether-cap water wheel on flowing magma, but the wheel didn't generate any power. On the other hand it didn't catch fire either...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2015, 06:00:36 pm »

Earlier fort had a massive library that had it's own book binding area so works could be bound before they were caught in a perpetual loop of being read. 28 books have been written there so far. The tavern was much more popular than the library but at least one tavern guest (a human dancer) went to the library to write a book (about becoming a dancer).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Currently building a tower called Wisdomborn in a large, 1050 year old world with an original 7 that all have writing + a skill like mathematician or geographer. The plan is to be bare bones except for the possibly multi-floor library. I want it to be space efficient but also a little bit grandiose.

This is a mock up made in 34.11 with fastdwarf, free building materials and other cheatery things I do for easy planning of structures.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I want to spam statues till I get one of a reasonably libraryriffic god and then place that statue in the separate room visible in the diagram. That's where I want to keep the "forbidden" books that contain blasphemous ideas and such.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2015, 06:28:30 pm »

in regards to making forbidden libraries...how would one go about separating books to the right book shelves?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2015, 06:30:13 pm »

in regards to making forbidden libraries...how would one go about separating books to the right book shelves?
Arduous deconstruction, forbidding, reconstruction, and unforbidding every time a new banned book is made?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 09, 2015, 07:38:04 pm »

Careful usage of dumping and burrows might work.

Burrow some librarians in the forbidden library, dump any forbidden books there and forbid any other dwarfs from accessing the place with more burrows.

Probably easier to just dump any unwanted stuff in magma or under an atom smasher, but that's less fun.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2015, 04:30:47 am »

In other news, I've had a couple fortresses with no visitors at all, and a couple fortresses where I get almost as many visitors as migrants.  Is anyone experimenting with what situations attract visitors?  I feel like building near a road or another fortress improves your chances of visitors greatly.  In one of fortresses, I played as mod-race-A and got only mod-race-B visitors.  Maybe I was close enough to a mod-race-B fortress to attract visitors from them, but not close enough to any home civ fortresses. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2015, 02:15:23 pm »

My island fortress's tavern, library and temples attracted no visitors.

Also, I'm not getting the hang of this yet.  My scholars wound up very distracted by their wish to practice a craft (labors were on), their wish to practice martial skills (drafting them and giving them a sparring area didn't help), their wish to socialize (there was a tavern and tavernkeeper, with booze in the stocks, tables, chairs, mugs, containers) and their wish to worship (temples built with tables and containers and musical instruments, but no dice...too small maybe?).
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2015, 02:36:40 pm »

My island fortress's tavern, library and temples attracted no visitors.
Boats aren't implemented yet. So if there are no other settlements on the island, all you'll get are the hard-coded migrants and dwarven caravan -- nobody else.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16