Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 48080 times)

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2015, 04:10:28 pm »

So, the whole children socializing causing an immediate crash.

How are people working around that? I have a really nice location that I enjoy, but just got a wave of immigrants with children that apparently want to talk to somebody.

I've never had that make my game crash. What's the error code look like?

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2015, 05:38:58 pm »

So, the whole children socializing causing an immediate crash.

How are people working around that? I have a really nice location that I enjoy, but just got a wave of immigrants with children that apparently want to talk to somebody.

It sounds like this got fixed in 42.02.
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

Aerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2015, 08:22:38 am »

I can designate locations and my dwarves use them but my workshops seem to miss the options to create instruments or elements related to book or library (like bookcases). Could it be because I am using a quite mature Fortress from a previous save? Do you have to generate a new world to build those "books" you guys are talking about and I am drooling over?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2015, 08:44:21 am »

I can designate locations and my dwarves use them but my workshops seem to miss the options to create instruments or elements related to book or library (like bookcases). Could it be because I am using a quite mature Fortress from a previous save? Do you have to generate a new world to build those "books" you guys are talking about and I am drooling over?
Yes.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2015, 02:19:29 pm »

Has anyone gotten their dwarves to really socialize yet? I've only seen my dwarves take part in activities visitors start, they never seem to start their own. And many of them are stressed out since they haven't been able to do some merrymaking. But I've got a decent tavern set up with an active tavern keeper. I mean, they eat and drink fine. Could the dining hall classification be interfering with the tavern activities?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2015, 02:26:50 pm »

Do you have any performers there? I think they are the only ones that can start activities...not sure though

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2015, 02:36:42 pm »

I have one, but I don't think I disabled their labors yet. I'll see if a few more will help.
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2015, 02:38:51 pm »

not sure yet...I assume so. I only have a tavernkeeper right now with my first tavern.

It seems any job related to a location is pretty low priority...suppose that makes them perfect for jobless dwarves or jobs with lots of idling between being used.

As for actually using the services provided (reading, worshipping, etc) I haven't figure out the system completely yet...it pretty much requires idle time from what I can see and according to the new tweaks to wants/needs idle time is actually important to dwarves now. They are no longer robots it seems!

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2015, 03:11:13 pm »

I assigned my embark 'novice doctor' to be the scholar of a tiny library. She is rusty in all her medical skills, save surgery, and is egrossed in Ponder Incision! I think we have something useful here.

Brody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2015, 03:13:37 pm »

Idle time is important, but so is having stuff to do. One of my scholars is upset because he doesn't have anything to do but sit and think.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2015, 03:19:10 pm »

As an aside, I really like the dynamic the new release has given to fortress mode. Hyper production efficiency is actually a deficit for your dwarves now, it's really neat.

Also, I think I've discovered the issue with my tavern - it needed a booze stockpile. Now people seem to be getting unfettered thoughts by hanging around the tavern, and some of my dwarves are even telling stories.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2015, 04:13:12 pm »

So fun fact...you need to be careful who you invite to stay at your fort...

I had a troupe of performers (about 6 of them) petition to join my fort which I thought was nifty...so i let them stay to entertain...

A month later one of the elves turned into a fucking werepanda!

This furthers the proof that elves are to be slaughtered on site.

Luckily only one of my people died (and about 4 visitors).

My doctor was among those with major injuries so I had to make a new doctor...he handled it well it seems.

EDIT:
SWEET BABY ARMOK SAVE US ALL! THE WHOLE TROUPE WAS MADE OF WEREPANDAS! I HAVE BEEN INFILTRATED BY THE FORCES OF EVIL!

Edit:
My fort has now turned into a remake of "It"...and every month a new cascade of dead bodies are torn apart by new werepandas
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 04:27:49 pm by dennislp3 »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2015, 04:52:13 pm »

I've had a visiting performing troupe in the fort for over a year.  Any idea on how to get them to leave?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2015, 04:56:13 pm »

I've had a visiting performing troupe in the fort for over a year.  Any idea on how to get them to leave?
I have an idea. It's red, starts with an "m", and ends with "agma".
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2015, 04:57:07 pm »

Why would you want them to leave?

But if you really do, clear everyone out, bar the doors, and

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the place.

Edit: Beat me to it, Spehss_. Lol.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16