Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!  (Read 48104 times)

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern / Church / Library Design Discussions!
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 07:29:00 pm »

Quick question. How exactly do I make books for the library? I made some bookcases and scroll rollers. I'm not sure how to make paper or ink, or how to get a dwarf to write a book.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 07:30:58 pm »

You just need scholars and scribes, and a container (chest etc) in the library with quires inside, along with a table+chair combo for them to write stuff on. They will randomly write stuff but it can take a while.
Not sure how to make books from paper, I've just used quires so far
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 07:35:34 pm »

You just need scholars and scribes, and a container (chest etc) in the library with quires inside, along with a table+chair combo for them to write stuff on. They will randomly write stuff but it can take a while.
Not sure how to make books from paper, I've just used quires so far

Perfect, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 07:47:48 pm »

Time to make some coins then! If they don't work, I can always melt them down for bonus material, if that hasn't bee changed.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2015, 11:12:34 pm »

I think an entire army decided to stop for a rest at my tavern. I'll need an upgrade.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Amost showed up on 27 Hematite, Kogsak showed up 8 Malachite. Twenty-one people in nine days.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2015, 12:37:05 am »

I think an entire army decided to stop for a rest at my tavern.

If that's actually a thing...I can't wait!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2015, 12:59:34 am »

This seems as good a thread to discuss the mechanics of the new location system as any:

I've placed some instruments, stationary and otherwise, inside my tavern. Only the item instruments, and not the buildings, are listed as being there in the "l" screen. No one's played either type of instrument yet, but I haven't appointed a performer yet. Does appointing a performer change this at all?

One of my dwarves brought a codex bound in red spinel to the fort in their left hand. How would I get them to put it in my library[Which has containers, bookshelves, tables and chairs]? Do I just need to appoint a scribe/scholar or two or is there something else I'm missing? Said dwarf is a soldier and I would like them to use their left hand for their shield instead of the book. It'd be badass to pummel goblins with a book, but I think a shield would be more useful in the long run.

I've got a few rooms for rent near my tavern, but none of the visitors have offered to rent one. Do I need to wait for a mayor or does it just happen more rarely then transitory visitors?

In any case, I'll probably post some pictures of my current tavern & library set-ups laterish. I don't have a temple yet, but my embark has absurd amounts of gold and marble, so I bet I can make things really nice and shiny with a little work.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:02:26 am by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2015, 05:15:44 am »

I got one guest to stay in my inn, a soldier who petitioned to live in my fortress and became a mercenary. Weird thing is, I have a total of four petitioners, and only one rents a room...

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2015, 08:11:32 am »

Arcvasti, are you sure that book isn't a personal item? I think you might need to give that dwarf a room with his own personal bookcase to get him to store the book...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2015, 07:53:03 pm »

Has anyone built a bardum (the pipe-organ instrument) yet? It sounds more like a piece of furniture than a carried instrument; confirmation that it's constructed like a building is kind of important to my tavern designs in particular. Also, using the one adn only 100-table communal dining hall as the tavern: good idea or bad idea?
Instruments are procedurally-generated and change depending on the civilization.  Each world gen will have completely different instruments.
Actually, if you go to craft the item it will tell you in the nice little info box if it is stationary or hand held. It will say something like:
"The [instrument] is a small/midsize/large/huge stationary/hand-held..." if it says "stationary" I assume it has to be built, well "hand-held" I assume doesn't.
NOTE: I've not tested this, it's just an observation.
Will look something like this part on the far left (note, in larger windows it will be a pop up in the top right)
Also, there appears to be a bug in that it can go past the one screen (size doesn't change in larger screen modes). Though I like the descriptions, and they are needed to find out where to build the parts I guess.

EDIT: It was pointed out in the next post I might want to clarify: They are Procedurally Generated, so the bardum name was just an example (I replaced it with [instrument] in the example to clarify it) and your bardum is likely different from someone else's. Thanks jwoodward48df for helping me clarify that (and apologies for making your reply seem a bit out of place, unless you meant that the stationary/hand-held referencing if it is built or a held item is random in which case that's odd and may be a bug).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:29:20 pm by Aranna »

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2015, 08:01:46 pm »

Has anyone built a bardum (the pipe-organ instrument) yet? It sounds more like a piece of furniture than a carried instrument; confirmation that it's constructed like a building is kind of important to my tavern designs in particular. Also, using the one adn only 100-table communal dining hall as the tavern: good idea or bad idea?
Instruments are procedurally-generated and change depending on the civilization.  Each world gen will have completely different instruments.
Actually, if you go to craft the item it will tell you in the nice little info box if it is stationary or hand held. It will say something like:
"The bardum is a small/midsize/large/huge stationary/hand-held..." if it says "stationary" I assume it has to be built, well "hand-held" I assume doesn't.
NOTE: I've not tested this, it's just an observation.
Will look something like this part on the far left (note, in larger windows it will be a pop up in the top right)
Also, there appears to be a bug in that it can go past the one screen (size doesn't change in larger screen modes). Though I like the descriptions, and they are needed to find out where to build the parts I guess.
Actually, it's still procedurally generated. But it gives a description, true.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2015, 11:30:37 pm »

This seems as good a thread to discuss the mechanics of the new location system as any:

I've placed some instruments, stationary and otherwise, inside my tavern. Only the item instruments, and not the buildings, are listed as being there in the "l" screen. No one's played either type of instrument yet, but I haven't appointed a performer yet. Does appointing a performer change this at all?

One of my dwarves brought a codex bound in red spinel to the fort in their left hand. How would I get them to put it in my library[Which has containers, bookshelves, tables and chairs]? Do I just need to appoint a scribe/scholar or two or is there something else I'm missing? Said dwarf is a soldier and I would like them to use their left hand for their shield instead of the book. It'd be badass to pummel goblins with a book, but I think a shield would be more useful in the long run.

I've got a few rooms for rent near my tavern, but none of the visitors have offered to rent one. Do I need to wait for a mayor or does it just happen more rarely then transitory visitors?

I've had tavern, library and temples for about 4 years now; this is my experience: Dwarves will start as transient visitors, and if they like your place, will eventually petition for long-term residency. If residency is granted, they rent a room. I think this started to happen before I got a mayor.

Scholars will discuss, ponder, and write about various subjects. Scribes will supposedly make copies of the books available, but I haven't seen this happen yet.

I've never seen someone playing an instrument, built or otherwise. I have, however, seen a group of singers imitate various instruments for the purposes of a specific musical form.

In my experience, appointing a performer doesn't seem to do much: The performers I've appointed prefer "no job" to actually performing.

As for your militant bibliophile, have you made sure that there's room on the bookshelves for his book?
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2015, 11:59:16 pm »

Said dwarf is a soldier and I would like them to use their left hand for their shield instead of the book. It'd be badass to pummel goblins with a book, but I think a shield would be more useful in the long run.

As for your militant bibliophile, have you made sure that there's room on the bookshelves for his book?

Or perhaps a bookshelf in his own room.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2015, 12:32:44 am »

Said dwarf is a soldier and I would like them to use their left hand for their shield instead of the book. It'd be badass to pummel goblins with a book, but I think a shield would be more useful in the long run.

Or perhaps a bookshelf in his own room.

I've tried both, he's still toting it around. More strangely, my bartender is carrying around an empty stone pot and using it to bash in the heads of rhesus macaques.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 12:57:53 am »

I've tried both, he's still toting it around. More strangely, my bartender is carrying around an empty stone pot and using it to bash in the heads of rhesus macaques.

O.o Remember to tip.
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16