Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: NEW! - Suggestions for 42.01  (Read 27858 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: NEW! - Suggestions for 42.01
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2016, 02:59:56 pm »

Fortbent was hours of work total to update to 0.40.01 and 0.42.01 combined. I doubt Masterwork would take much more than a week with some smart search and replace and, uh, good... version control...

nevermind

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2016, 03:11:04 pm »

and, uh, good... version control...

nevermind
hehehehe

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2016, 06:24:02 pm »

Fortbent was hours of work total to update to 0.40.01 and 0.42.01 combined. I doubt Masterwork would take much more than a week with some smart search and replace and, uh, good... version control...

nevermind

well, i was meaning a porting over of the non-reborn edition; the old version with gnomes, kobolds, succubuses, warlocks, humans, the hermits, etc. also, i didnt get the version control joke :/

stormwolf442

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2016, 03:50:54 am »

The only things I would really want are an updated manual, fortress mode magic (I think it was removed, ignore if I am wrong...), and more adventure mode stuff pretty much like Wanderer's Friend, though I don't know how much work that would be since I absolutely suck at modding anything.

EDIT: I take it back, I can modify posts on this site pretty good if I forget something... :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2016, 04:50:40 am »

nevermind

well, i was meaning a porting over of the non-reborn edition; the old version with gnomes, kobolds, succubuses, warlocks, humans, the hermits, etc. also, i didnt get the version control joke :/
Basically it would just require Meph or someone else to go through the raws from the old version and ensure that any new tags from the new version are present where applicable, and then it -should- work. Would likely require some troubleshooting.

But I think Meph wanted to re-do masterwork from the ground up rather than throwing in every kitchen sink mod, which is why he started the reborn version. I believe Meph will be working on it from his laptop while he does his cross-country bike tour thingy

The version control joke.. wasn't important. :P

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2016, 07:15:22 pm »

nevermind

Basically it would just require Meph or someone else to go through the raws from the old version and ensure that any new tags from the new version are present where applicable, and then it -should- work. Would likely require some troubleshooting.

But I think Meph wanted to re-do masterwork from the ground up rather than throwing in every kitchen sink mod, which is why he started the reborn version. I believe Meph will be working on it from his laptop while he does his cross-country bike tour thingy

yeah, but still, who wants a less-kitchen sinky version of masterwork dwarf fortress? its why i love it, the randomly generated creatures, the templates, the extreme ammounts of content-poisoning weapons, archeology, currency, what more would you want?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2016, 11:38:52 pm »

nevermind

yeah, but still, who wants a less-kitchen sinky version of masterwork dwarf fortress? its why i love it, the randomly generated creatures, the templates, the extreme ammounts of content-poisoning weapons, archeology, currency, what more would you want?

Meph made a few vote-survey-things, the consensus was to tone down the Dwarves. An unbalance that one-sided is poor design in any game where there's more than 1 playable faction, like if someone modded AoE2 and added the cheater-machine-gun-cars as a default unit to the Persians.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 11:46:18 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2016, 11:40:57 pm »

nevermind

unique, interesting mechanics that have meaning to the game at large

but then again i've realized recently that that's basically impossible with raws

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2016, 07:57:20 am »

realized recently
Havent you been here for a couple of years? ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2016, 07:14:29 pm »

I always thought that it was more a subset of such good mechanics that were impossible with raws rather than literally all of them, as i'm beginning to think. Raws are turing complete with interactions, but they're the worst tarpit i've ever laid my eyes upon if you want to do computation. Easier to use game of life or DF's fluids. Toady mentioned when i asked for college recently and hinted during a FOTF response that there ought to be a proper scripting system, and i'm really beginning to agree.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2016, 08:04:53 pm »

I'm not sure of that, but I suspect it's the case.  I know Willows, for example, produce Willow Fruit, but Willow Fruit is inedible so your dwarves ignore it completely, even with a plant gathering zone.

In fact, I know of no plant fruits that are gathered that don't contain either [EDIBLE_RAW], [EDIBLE_COOKED], or a DRINK_MAT result.  Doesn't mean I'm right, but I think that's what governs when dwarves are willing to collect the fruits
Aha, I just got a great idea. Make it a seed! That way, it should be edible cooked, but not allowed by default.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2016, 01:02:33 pm »

...there ought to be a proper scripting system...
Well, Lua as a data lang were developed in Brazilian Petrobras to give an answer to the same use case we have with DF raws.
Let´s see an extract from "The evolution of an extension language: a history of Lua" by Roberto Ierusalimschy, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo, Waldemar Celes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe the time of Lua DF raws has come...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:04:45 pm by Abadrausar »
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2016, 01:04:00 pm »

Thus the 1-indexing.

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2016, 01:07:19 pm »

Thus the 1-indexing.
You could always trivially redefine the _length method in metatables if that is a problem.
For lua using 0 index is not a problem, the real problem is that the default _lenght implementation does not take that into account.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:14:12 pm by Abadrausar »
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2016, 03:42:14 pm »

And, internally, the zero index is always in the hash part of the table so it is slightly slower to read than the other indexes, not to mention that ```({"a", "b", "c"})[0] == nil```
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11