Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: NEW! - Suggestions for 42.01  (Read 27837 times)

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW! - Suggestions for 42.01
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2015, 04:28:49 pm »

I suggest that MWDF 2016 be developed using github.
I second this. It can handle versions, issues, and a wiki. Besides, for downloads you can just use the DFFD like normal, and I think github can do those as well
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2015, 07:31:40 pm »

I suggest that MWDF 2016 be developed using github.
I second this. It can handle versions, issues, and a wiki. Besides, for downloads you can just use the DFFD like normal, and I think github can do those as well

We already been there and done that, it did not work out. It's harder to use for a non dev, especially when there is routines and habits already in place.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2015, 07:38:29 pm »

...non-devs don't need to be involved at all, i can't see how it's harder to use when they'll never touch it

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2015, 10:18:00 pm »

If it's worth anything I can not find my way around Github. It's hard for me to use. IDK why. I prefer the current system
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2015, 10:44:02 pm »

you wouldn't really need to deal with github as a developer, it'd mostly just have to be meph

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2015, 03:40:29 am »

you wouldn't really need to deal with github as a developer, it'd mostly just have to be meph
Which is why my opinion would be the important one, because I'm the one who would have to use it. I had this suggestion in the past, tried it, decided I really dislike github, and thats that. I can understand its merit when sharing code in community projects like dfhack, but modding Raws is not that difficult. It's easier and faster for me to read a bugfix in the forums and add it to a text file than go through git, commits, forks, pull requests, etc.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2015, 09:06:16 am »

Which is why my opinion would be the important one, because I'm the one who would have to use it. I had this suggestion in the past, tried it, decided I really dislike github, and thats that. I can understand its merit when sharing code in community projects like dfhack, but modding Raws is not that difficult. It's easier and faster for me to read a bugfix in the forums and add it to a text file than go through git, commits, forks, pull requests, etc.

I went through this at my job too, and my boss felt that I should piss more code instead of spending a couple of days training my peers. I had to thank him for the justifiably irate colleagues.

Anyway I may suggest we do a quick dfhack-less release:
- Add the right tags for  the creatures/civ to be controllable
- Disable the scripted workshop, to be reactivated later
- Remove instruments, let the civs generate new ones
- Add scholars based on values (it's faster than defining them by hand)
- Update the humans values (it's fully random now)
- Add alcohol resistance to dwarves
- Paste the bookmaking reactions and the bookcase 'tool'
- Check with winmerge what vanilla file to copy, I already know plants (alcohol), translation (new words) can be copied

Seriously even without dfhack, making taverns is really enjoyable.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:27:36 am by Boltgun »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2015, 09:43:20 am »

Seeing masterwork finally getting updated...It fills you with determination.

(Sorry, I just had to. The joke was right there and it had to be made.)
Sadly, I dont get it.
Neither do I. It's not really updated yet...?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2015, 09:55:10 am »

I went through this at my job too, and my boss felt that I should piss more code instead of spending a couple of days training my peers. I had to thank him for the justifiably irate colleagues.

Anyway I may suggest we do a quick dfhack-less release:
- Add the right tags for  the creatures/civ to be controllable
- Disable the scripted workshop, to be reactivated later
- Remove instruments, let the civs generate new ones
- Add scholars based on values (it's faster than defining them by hand)
- Update the humans values (it's fully random now)
- Add alcohol resistance to dwarves
- Paste the bookmaking reactions and the bookcase 'tool'
- Check with winmerge what vanilla file to copy, I already know plants (alcohol), translation (new words) can be copied

Seriously even without dfhack, making taverns is really enjoyable.
I have a free day tomorrow, I will have a look. Start porting some thing to 42.03. But otherwise I have a tight schedule atm, 3 more flights this year. I settle down for a bit 10th January, from then on I got time.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2015, 02:03:31 pm »

Display cases from 0.34, i miss then so much.
I still play 0.34 Masterwork. One of my longest running forts (40 years now) is in that version. :)

Voukras

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2015, 02:17:13 pm »

Seeing masterwork finally getting updated...It fills you with determination.

(Sorry, I just had to. The joke was right there and it had to be made.)
Sadly, I dont get it.
Neither do I. It's not really updated yet...?

"It fills you with determination" is a catchphrase from a game called Undertale.

Every save point opens a dialogue screen where the character remarks something in the scenery or just thinks about something that fills them with determination, so every save point's dialogue ends with "It fills you with determination" and that allows you to save. It's become sort of an in-joke, or at least something that gets repeated a lot in the fandom. It's basically applicable to anything good that happens ever.

TanaNari

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Price
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2015, 07:24:16 pm »

Which is why my opinion would be the important one, because I'm the one who would have to use it. I had this suggestion in the past, tried it, decided I really dislike github, and thats that.

Heh. Dwarf Fortress players complaining that something is unintuitive and hard to learn.

Just lampshading that for everyone.
Price- a gritty, street level supers story by yours truly.

https://pricestory.wordpress.com

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2015, 07:31:04 pm »

Which is why my opinion would be the important one, because I'm the one who would have to use it. I had this suggestion in the past, tried it, decided I really dislike github, and thats that.

Heh. Dwarf Fortress players complaining that something is unintuitive and hard to learn.

Quick, to the TVtropes!... I want to sig this so badly
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2015, 07:59:24 pm »

To be fair, he didn't say he had trouble learning it. He said he doesn't like it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2015, 03:27:44 am »

To be fair, he didn't say he had trouble learning it. He said he doesn't like it.
I also had trouble learning it.

I dont like it because I think it is unnecessary to run a mod.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11