Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 137

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 201914 times)

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.42.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #915 on: May 04, 2016, 05:58:32 am »

Hey guys. I'm technically new to the forums (as in I've never posted, just read several of the well-known succession games), and I'm still mostly new to DF, and NOW I'm trying modding. Can anyone help me add a new civilization and creatures? I've looked at the wiki, but it doesn't go very in-depth. And of course the thing I'm trying to mod in could be truly impossible too... I can C&P what I've got so far (no idea if it'll work/what works) and explain what I'm trying to do.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #916 on: May 04, 2016, 06:13:46 am »

Sure, post what you're having a problem with and what your intent is and I'll see if I can help.

Bozdogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: May 04, 2016, 01:15:31 pm »

I would like to make a flower golem for good shrubland/plains and i need help for tissue and itemcorpse
I would like the tissue to be made out of random flowers and grass, and for the corpse the same flowers/grasses
Take a look
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:36:28 pm by Bozdogan »

Bozdogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 04, 2016, 01:34:46 pm »

Also this reaction works, though it doesnt give a bed, the reagents just vanish

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: May 04, 2016, 01:48:27 pm »

Bozdogan, I would model your creature on the Grimeling, and then use a lot of tissue layer descriptions to apply "flowers" to various bodyparts.

Each "flower" requires a pattern description, then include something like

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_TOKEN:HD:SKIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:ROSE:3:DAISY:3:TULIP:1:VIOLET:1:SUNFOWER:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:head:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_TOKEN:UB:SKIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:ROSE:3:DAISY:3:TULIP:1:VIOLET:1:SUNFOWER:1]
{TLCM_NOUN:upper body:SINGULAR]

and so on.  Each of those patterns needs its own entry, preferably associated with a sensible color.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #920 on: May 04, 2016, 01:53:27 pm »

You can't make them out of random materials, doesn't work that way, unfortunately - you can do what Dirst suggests and add patterns for them.

You'd have to define a generic "grass" or "flower" inorganic material and make their body entirely out of those (you can base the off the bronze colossus raws), or use the default [STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE] though that'll probably result in them being really easily killable.

I'm not sure what you want to do with the itemcorpse, but going by the petals I'm guessing you want them to explode into those on death, right? If that's your intention, then define the petals and their syndrome as an inorganic material using a custom or default plant material template in another text file, and set the boiling point to something really low - then define the itemcorpse as a boulder made out of the petal material - when the creature dies it'll just evaporate into the petals and affect any unit nearby it's area of death with the syndrome.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: May 04, 2016, 04:54:39 pm »

So I'm trying to make what will be essentially a clockwork, demon-powered Necron from WH40k. Out of mostly aluminum with gold nerves and three eyes.

I've got as much of an idea as to say 'I have no clue if this is correct or not', that's about it. The wiki didn't really help because it doesn't go indepth enough. :/ I also don't know how to make it essentially a metal skeleton with gold nerves. And 'eerie purple' glowing eyes and chest cavities. Nor do I know what the hell the color for a creepy purple color is with the [COLOR:#:#:#] code, so I just threw something in.

I want them to be a civilization too. I think I could do the caste-system but I don't reaaaally know. And I could probably edit the crossbows to make them have their own kind fairly easily.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: May 04, 2016, 05:07:52 pm »

Yeah, just about everything about that is wrong, to the level that going over each individual part would be a waste of everyone's time, since there's a fundamental misunderstanding in your process (which is fine! You're a beginner, it's perfectly natural and even expected for that to be the case).

What you should do (what I do, and basically every other modder) is copy an existing creature and edit that one to your spec. Try again, starting by copying humans and editing parts to be what you want them to be.

Also, try reading the dwarf raws. Those go in-depth. So does the modding guide.

Nor do I know what the hell the color for a creepy purple color is with the [COLOR:#:#:#] code, so I just threw something in.

The COLOR codes aren't related to eye colors. Also, there's a perfectly good article on the wiki for color.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: May 04, 2016, 05:29:08 pm »

The COLOR codes aren't related to eye colors. Also, there's a perfectly good article on the wiki for color.

I didn't mean the eye color. I mean for the symbol itself. the 'N'. I guess I'll just try and find the skeletons in the RAWS and copy that... They're closer to what I'm trying to do anyhow.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 04, 2016, 05:32:30 pm »

There are no skeletons in the raws.

And that article I linked gives the exact numbers for all colors. Magenta is 5:0:1.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 04, 2016, 05:37:15 pm »

Then how do they happen when a necromancer makes them? Should I just take all the skeleton bits of a body and put them together?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 04, 2016, 05:59:54 pm »

Skeletons are just dwarves and elves and humans and goblins with the fleshy layers stripped off and extra tags piled on to let them break the rules of not having tendons or blood or vital organs.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 04, 2016, 06:04:34 pm »

Oh. Where do I find those? My 'Metallicons' are supposed to be aluminum skeletons with gold nerves and three eyes.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #928 on: May 04, 2016, 06:07:56 pm »

They're not defined in the raws - they're literally just any creature with everything but bones rotted away - also some tokens that allow them to move without any connections like tendons, etc.

To do what you want to do you'd have to define a completely new body plan and new materials.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 04, 2016, 06:13:06 pm »

And that is what I've been trying to ask for help with! I have NO idea how to make a body plan with different materials. I've got a (probably still totally screwed up) edited 'human' thing.

Since they're mechanical, they're supposed to be built. I've got no idea how not having a baby or child stage will effect them. :/ I can infer some of the mannerisms, but others not so much. Such as the posture one or the ears ones and junk.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 137