Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.01 Released  (Read 61528 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.42.01 Released
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2015, 06:12:06 pm »

clears throat

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2015, 06:14:32 pm »

Haha, I'm getting crashes on the calendar but the hype is still worth it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2015, 06:15:59 pm »

The parameters don't reproduce the world gen freeze, but I got it to happen once on my own (and my parameters then didn't reproduce it either), so I'm hoping I can at least verify when I fix it.  There's an additional issue that generating the same world twice in a row with the same seed produces different results if you don't quit the game in between (so there's some lingering data).  Probably not related to the freeze, but I'll try to get it all.
Oh boy, nondeterminism! That sounds like a fairly significant problem.

Alternatively, it isn't. I can't wait though.

jaccarmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • jaccarmac.com
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 06:22:20 pm »

Well, I can figure out dwarf fortress but not vi apparently.

My kingdom for a copy of the Dwarf_Fortress executable with line 57-thousand something changed from /data/art/mouse.png to /data/art/mouse.bmp because every editor I try it with either won't open it as the right format (kate) or is harder to figure out than df (vi) or just won't find the string (nano) so I'm stumped.

Had a try at replacing the string from Emacs, and nothing seems to be broken horribly, though I have no idea how to test the mouse image, exactly. What OS are you on? I have the modified binary from the Linux version if you desperately want it.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2015, 06:28:20 pm »

Well, I can figure out dwarf fortress but not vi apparently.

My kingdom for a copy of the Dwarf_Fortress executable with line 57-thousand something changed from /data/art/mouse.png to /data/art/mouse.bmp because every editor I try it with either won't open it as the right format (kate) or is harder to figure out than df (vi) or just won't find the string (nano) so I'm stumped.

I have no idea if your idea will work but sounds like you're looking for a hex editor, not a text editor. Fortunately "png" and "bmp" take the same number of bytes. Does [MOUSE:NO] / [MOUSE_PICTURE:NO] not solve your problem?
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2015, 06:29:13 pm »

I have no idea if your idea will work but sounds like you're looking for a hex editor, not a text editor. Fortunately "png" and "bmp" take the same number of bytes. Does [MOUSE:NO] / [MOUSE_PICTURE:NO] not solve your problem?

There was a tutorial on the wiki for fixing libpng issues on linux which called for using vi. It works fairly well, at least it did on the previous version.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2015, 06:38:39 pm »

Is it intended for you to only be able to choose only one god for temples? I put a up temple to a god and now all other temples default to the same god with no way for me to change them.

I could be missing something important, but I am flummoxed.

Derp on my part. You hit 'a'. Not sure the defaulting to the last god is a good thing though.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2015, 06:51:40 pm »

I don't know what this new Fluid Engineer skill is but I hope it's booze related.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2015, 06:57:00 pm »

There was a tutorial on the wiki for fixing libpng issues on linux which called for using vi. It works fairly well, at least it did on the previous version.
Yeah but I've got something screwed up with my native keybinds or something because if I enter insert mode on vi I can't get back out of it, and if I'm in command mode I can't get into insert mode and back out to save.

Disabling the mouse with init.txt doesn't do anything, it still looks for the mouse.png for some stupid reason.

jaccarmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • jaccarmac.com
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2015, 06:59:22 pm »

@Max: I tried sending you a DM with a patched copy, but I'll post it here again for anyone running into similar problems. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_S86gZvPJWKV2xYd0NaVFc0RGc

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2015, 07:00:41 pm »

Having great fun playing as a pandaman bard that wants to see the world. I was performing in a lord's hall when goblins (probably bandits) attacked. Took a arrow in the head but managed to get away from the fight. I guess I will have to perform elsewhere.

Navigating at fortresses and deep sites still is a pain. It's hard to find people at these sites and hard to find an exit.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2015, 07:30:01 pm »

Glory to the Toad!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2015, 08:23:20 pm »

(*) Scholars can visit your fortress libraries, bringing knowledge from around the world
   (*) Dwarves read books in the library (they don't need to be scholars)
   (*) Values can be passed in writing (both modes) and through adventure mode arguments (uses some conversation skills)

Oh dear... I'm either going to need to keep the elves out of the library, or keep the butcher out of the library.  I don't want the military complaining about where the mystery meat comes from...

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2015, 09:24:23 pm »

Congratulations Toady and Threetoe!  Thanks for the great content in this release, it is very exciting.   :D
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2015, 09:33:46 pm »

Values, not ethics.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9