Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300360 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2445 on: January 26, 2024, 02:04:08 pm »

Also just noting, you can find your save file in the steamapps folders and use that to save scum.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: January 26, 2024, 02:23:33 pm »

for the gog version the save(s) can be found at :
C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\My Games\Mordheim

Something that i find annoying are the various spots in the maps (scavenge/loot/jump/climb/etc...) , you need your character to be positionned with near to pixel precision for some of them to access the interaction, i had a mission in which one of my henchman was trying to steal the idol of an enemy wagon, it was maddening to find the exact pile of pixel on the ground that allowed my character to have the "steal the idol" action available.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 02:57:11 pm by Robsoie »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: January 26, 2024, 05:58:50 pm »

Even better when the pixel you need happens to just slightly overlap with an environmental hazard. ><
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: January 27, 2024, 05:08:57 pm »

Today got 2 missions in which the game simply wanted to destroy my warband and 2 missions in which they prevailed gloriously.

The 1st disaster was the result of 2 things against undead things led by some vampire : my troops were individually spawned very far from each other, and the AI warband was moving in relative group, picking easily my guys nearly 1 by 1.
While in normal situation i would have tried to disengage the unfortunate mercenary and try to run away toward some of my other guys , for some reason each time the guy was failing a terror effect roll and could mostly only have access to the "end turn", meaning not even a dodge or parry, leading into fast death as the AI wasn't missing his hits roll

The 2nd disaster was against a skaven warband, for reason i don't know, my 3 archers missed easily 90% of their shots (and that is a lot of potential damage lost there) while easily half of the skaven attacks resulted in my mercenary falling stunned on his knee, first time in all the missions i played that i saw so many stunned characters. So as expected my warband lost that mission as luck was definitively not on my side with the dice rolls this time.

Fortunately none of the characters that went out of action died from their wounds and recovered.

The 2 last missions against sisters of sigmar and another against mercenaries (similar to my warband) and went surprisingly well : parry worked most of the time with my heavy hitters that i had recently equipped with halberds (the 2 hander allowing to parry) and the leader with his spear and shield was only hit once in those 2 missions.
The archers landed the majority of their shots, bringing some good damage too.

dice rolls can really help or destroy your warband :D

So far from what i went through choosing a Hard or Brutal or Deadly is incredibly unfair until your warband is very strong and very well equipped because the AI is better leveled and equipped than yours in those difficulty : they hit much stronger and tank a lot more.
Only Normal missions seem to be balanced for a more "equal" (the AI has still an advantage but in comparison to the other difficult missoins it's being only minor).
So don't hesitate to pay the scouts to try to find a "Normal" mission when the map is only filled with hard, brutal or deadly, at least until your warband is high level, you'll win more (and winning a mission additionally give you 30 or 35% of the wryd that you didn't picked on the map). A good idea is to take the veteran skill (when your warband have ranked enough) "Explorer" that allow you to play the scouts less (as there's no guarantee they will find a "Normal" mission on their 1st try, and each try cost money)

I noticed in the game directory, your last mission is logged in a combat.log file
I replaced the
Code: [Select]
<color=#f04545ff>by
[color=red]
<color=#79a8e4ff>by
[color=blue]
and
</color>by
[/color
So it's readable on the Bay12 board, not much interesting though but you can see how lucky i have been with dice rolls in this mission (in red the AI warband members, in blue my warband members) :

Spoiler: combat.log (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 05:53:04 pm by Robsoie »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: January 28, 2024, 05:07:33 am »

Yeah the rng is brutal in Mordheim

The 2 last missions against sisters of sigmar and another against mercenaries (similar to my warband) and went surprisingly well : parry worked most of the time with my heavy hitters that i had recently equipped with halberds (the 2 hander allowing to parry) and the leader with his spear and shield was only hit once in those 2 missions.
The archers landed the majority of their shots, bringing some good damage too.

I'm not sure if you've read my post on the free games thread, but I'll suggest you to not invest on parries too much. Demons, rat ogres, chaos spawns, possessed ones and some mutants can all bypass any and all parry rolls. Overall the best form of defense, are melee/ranged resistances because they can't be hard countered and act on all incoming attacks (not just the first 1-2 per round) by lowering the enemy's "to hit" chance.

Also you might find this character planner useful
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: January 28, 2024, 06:54:08 am »

Yeah, i've read recently about the parry-ignoring creatures and it's worrying to have an ability becoming useless once those monsters will start to appear in missions .

But for now with normal enemies, parry works better than dodge because even without investing on parry (excepted from my leader because i didn't knew better when i had him learn +parry skill at the time)  all my characters have for some reason a higher parry % than a dodge one.
So as long as there are only "normal" enemies in missions i'll keep those very nice halberds (until i find better of course) for the heavy hitters.

Thanks for the planner, will be very useful for later.

I wish the game didn't had some very questionable design decisions sometime, it's very good and fun most of the time (adapting the Valkyria Chronicles gameplay POV to a boardgame was a nice touch) but some of the low points the devs insisted on having are really annoying.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 07:09:20 am by Robsoie »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: January 28, 2024, 01:14:53 pm »

Parry is based on Weapon Skill, which you want to be improving anyway, whereas Dodge is based on agility, so that's probably why.

Parry isn't a terrible thing to have some investment in, as long as its not at dodge's expense. The main issue is anything with bracers ignores parry, and that's basically any big enemy. The easy way to avoid that in most missions though is just not bring an ogre if you're the human merc band.

Mordheim was my go to game when listening to Critical Role and other podcasts a few years back, so its a guilty pleasure game for me.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: January 28, 2024, 02:08:29 pm »

Ah so that's why everyone has good parry %, because indeed weapon skill seems to be a must increase stat from its description for anyone going to melee

Got an example of -very- bad luck and -very- good luck on the same mission.

For fun decided to field a full team (but no Expensive because i don't want to see those things in the AI team yet with my bad luck with dices :D ) and go into a mission.
Appeared that the AI warband was a skaven one, i remember last time how the dices decided to have my character stunned half the time the enemy stroke and wondered if my warband would again be affected by legendary bad luck.

From the start, i choose for once the "deploy" option to place my troops myself on the possible starting spots.
They really made this as clunkly as they could but after finally moving everyone where i wanted them to be , massive problem :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wasn't aware at all of the actual status of the archer (he's my highest level archer) i placed in front of that door, he just got back from reserve after healing.
Post-game i noticed the guy had a bigger list of permanent injury that i thought (i even needed to scroll down them to see all), one being a "skull fracture"
This specific injury make your character needing to pass a stupidity roll to do anything in a whole turn when outside of melee.
And guess what : the guy missed 5 of those rolls.
And guess what's even better : the game is designed so despite there's visually enough space between him and the door or on his side to move through, actually none can actually move to the door because he is blocking that path.
And to add insult to the injury, that building has only -this- exit, meaning that those 3 characters were out of the battle for 5 turns.

But very good luck decided to strike for me :
That red guy is a chaos Bloodletter that decided to show up and not only attract but engage the whole Skaven warband, he actually killed 3 of them (one being the skaven leader, hitting their morale a lot) and let my warband plenty of time to loot the various wyrdstones around.
After that i only needed to kill 2 of the skaven henchmen to bring their morale even lower thanks to my melee guys and we got the victory as the skaven morale was so low they missed the lout roll.

------------------------------------------

EDIT : decided to test the Impressive class for my mercenary warband, it's was good old and mean Ogre

Meet Egalt Brainbasher, an Ogre that really don't like the enemies of my warband and have no trouble using his massive axe on their heads

The trouble when bringing an Impressive character class is that the AI warband will then automatically always include an Impressive too, here's the "What the hell is that chaos thing" that came with the enemies this time :

No idea what that big ugly thing was, but Egalt Brainbasher wasnt impressed and axe-killed it anyways.

Lesson to learn : don't mess with Egalt Brainbasher
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 06:58:40 pm by Robsoie »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: January 29, 2024, 04:28:45 am »

Two heads?

Double the brain to bash.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: January 31, 2024, 07:35:14 am »

Mordheim is definitively a strange game : there are some annoying flaws (and AI getting stuck or being slow) and some dev design decisions i don't like, but in the same time it's so fun and really addictive, it has a "just one more mission" feel especially as missions are rather fast paced.

Transforming the presentation from a "normal boardgame and move your pieces" view into a Valkyrie Chronicles-like was a good idea in the end as it manage to deliver some interesting atmosphere and tension. 

Had to fire a level 4 Champion  and a level 5 Marksman , the first having lost a leg was way too slow to move around in time to help his teammates and the other had lost an arm lowering his accuracy noticably with bows.
So far i have 2 teams, my high level guys (level 10 Leader, level 8 Wolf Priest, the level 4 Ogre and some good marskmen) with the best equipment i have so far , team that managed to get a victory on a mission at difficulty "Deadly" to my surprise (though it's were i got my marskman losing his arm and the 1st mission my Ogre got "Out of Action" but was 100% the reason i managed to survive that mission) for the 1st time

The other team are all new characters i recruited at rank 0 and being very well equipped (the best items my 1st team does not use) are tearing apart the similar (the AI match your team composition and its rating) AI teams on the missions they went through.

About each mission difficulties :
Spoiler: from wiki (click to show/hide)

Some people mention that the quality of wyrdstones in mission improve with your warband ranks, not sure if it's true and if a party of level 0 rookies drafted in a high warband rank will find more clusters and shards than at rank 0 on normal missions.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: January 31, 2024, 08:51:57 am »

Mordheim had so much potential to become a truly great game, it's a shame that the devs abandoned it in its current state.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: January 31, 2024, 09:17:10 am »

A pity the AI never was fixed to get rid of the sometime "stuck forever in a place" or the "thinking way too long just to move the obvious way toward the goal"
Especially as the goal is rather simple for the Mordheim AI :
- as long as the AI does not see any of your troop the goal is the nearest wyrdstone
- when the AI see any of your troop the goal become your troop (usually the 1st guy they see) and it will ignore every other goal (the wyrdstones).

And from what i have read those problems are even worse in the dev next game Necromunda.

Interestingly i have sometime battled with AI warband that some members had an important injury (missing an arm or missing a leg, or missing an eye) , that's nice and give the illusion they don't only have the ridiculous advantages the devs game them over your own warband.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: January 31, 2024, 10:41:02 am »

Interestingly i have sometime battled with AI warband that some members had an important injury (missing an arm or missing a leg, or missing an eye) , that's nice and give the illusion they don't only have the ridiculous advantages the devs game them over your own warband.

Yeah no unfair advantages...until that one armed fiend starts dodging like a slippery god because of it's newfound balance  :P

I'm not sure if the ai is just that simplistic or simply bugged. I remember a game, rather fondly despite the loss, where the last skaven unit (globadier or whatever it's called) had holed up on the top of some building and it managed to wipe my party (3 or 4 units) due to a combination of poison attacks and a lot of failed climbing rolls.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: February 03, 2024, 02:47:05 pm »

Still having a lot of fun in Mordheim running a mission here and there when i have time with my warbands, odd considering how many flaws i find with the game.

Mostly making lots of money and increasing my 2nd team levels while my top team is still waiting in the back row.
It's been a looong while i haven't lost a mission too, blame the much better equipment and the characters having several new skills that make the AI advantages not making a difference anymore

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: February 05, 2024, 09:06:39 pm »

I played a bit of Mordheim and also have the same complaints alongside the same persistent desire to keep playing... It's a frustrating fame, but just not soul crushing enough to get me away from it.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 168