Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 175

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 321922 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2220 on: April 18, 2023, 04:04:50 pm »

Eh, or that they can break the opposing party with legal fees without actually needing a case. Frivolous lawsuits as a punitive thing are something the wealthy seem to love.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: April 19, 2023, 12:59:14 pm »

Blasphemous 2.

Thoroughly enjoyed the first game. Metroidvania Soulslikes may be a little played out at this point, but the themes really elevated it to something special.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2222 on: April 19, 2023, 02:49:59 pm »

The souls-likes aren't my thing, but I know someone that'll be happy to hear this got a sequel.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: April 19, 2023, 07:33:03 pm »

I'm trying Desktop Dungeons, but the controls are bad. It's pretty much mouse-or-nothing. Diagonals require pushing 2 buttons, despite being required to proceed, selecting an enemy requires moust input to actually attack, there are "click to continue" things, and there is no list of commands anywhere (let alone allowing you to re-bind keys).

I love this type of game, but I'm not sure I can handle playing for long.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 07:34:38 pm by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: April 19, 2023, 08:06:27 pm »

Maybe give a try to the old freeware version (still available on their website , on the bottom of that page https://www.desktopdungeons.net/legacy/ ) , it had diagonals with 1 button (when playing with the keypad) and fight was only running into a monster until you or him died, or using a special ability.

On the freeware version i never managed to beat the Crypt with Assassin to unlock the last race (that is a requirement to unlock the lothlorien and boss hive challenges). Just retried after so many years, and still no go, also stopped playing because the game was becoming less fun the more you won the normal challenge as each further normal play was increasingly harder :D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 08:19:23 pm by Robsoie »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2225 on: April 20, 2023, 11:45:57 am »

Played the new chapter of PSO2:NGS and it's very "Well, that escalated quickly.", but nice to actually get a connection confirmed back to original PSO2's plot.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 01:26:56 pm by MorleyDev »

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: April 21, 2023, 06:54:41 am »

xkcd has a gravity/thrust game as the current 'comic'.
It became quite addictive once I realized you could find upgrades for your ship.
https://xkcd.com/2765
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: April 22, 2023, 04:12:34 am »

Shardpunk Verminfall is a like a cross between XCOM and Darkest Dungeon.
Your merry band of 4 survivors plus an automaton try to reach the end of the level while looting and being attacked by skaven ... I mean vermin. You accumulate stress, which can lead to disadvantages when maxed out. Once save you manage the camp phase, upgrading weapons and abilities, trying to heal, reduce stress, maybe craft and prepare for the next mission. Then it is out again on a FTL or Slay the Spire style map where you choose your next battle.
You can unlock new abilities and characters. It has nice pixel graphics, though I think it could have used some more colour.
The price is a imo fair 11,79€ and there's a demo.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1183800/Shardpunk_Verminfall/

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: April 23, 2023, 11:36:44 am »

Tolkien character or Antidepressant? There are a few gimmies, but mostly they can easily go either way.

https://antidepressantsortolkien.vercel.app/

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: April 23, 2023, 08:22:09 pm »

In the Advance Wars remake they finally made the AI respect fog of war.  In the original three games it could see everything, and could attack things beyond vision without revealing them first, except when a unit is concealed by woods.

In this one they actually do need to scout, and even get trapped just like the player when a unit moves into an unseen enemy.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: April 24, 2023, 01:32:56 pm »

Played "Death Trash" this weekend.

It's a retro-pixel game set in a post-apocalypse. Basically Fallout, plus Cthulhu monsters and a lot of vomit. Vomit is actually a central game mechanic.

It's pretty good. Real time action. Has a dodge roll and some pretty tight enemy timing. Can be played Coop with a friend using Steam Remote Play. My friend and I had a good time playing it.

Unfortunately, it's not finished even a year into Early Access. We got about 20 hours of it and that was with a lot of backtracking, running around, repeatedly failing some combat encounters.

It's good, but if you're looking to get it, wait. There's so much to the game in terms of content that isn't finished.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: April 24, 2023, 09:05:48 pm »

Tolkien character or Antidepressant? There are a few gimmies, but mostly they can easily go either way.

https://antidepressantsortolkien.vercel.app/

I failed five times in a row then laughed a bit . nice

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: April 26, 2023, 09:13:18 pm »

chatGPT can "write" "code". An important distinction.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: April 27, 2023, 12:23:10 am »

It would have to be quite well done, they need to be able to verbally underatand what they are doing ingame, but since chatgpt can write code, I think it should be abe to interprete the own code it's running on, as long as it knows it's actually acting and what that entails, it doesn't need truely need to be aware what the AI is concretly doing just to intreprete it's behaviour, kinda like that one thought experiment, how's it it called again... ah yes the chinese room.

A bit of clarification - ChatGPT is effectively a very complex autocomplete. It does not do any contemplation or mulling things over, it just guesses the next word in the sentence by probability, without any knowledge of what those words mean. Our brains attribute agency to anything that looks like it could be moving/acting on its own, so it's hard not to read to much into the machine (refer to Blake Lemoine). That sort of self-reflection is unfortunately outside the scope of ChatGPT (and GPT in general, I'd guess.)

That said, there's been interesting experiments with Agent AIs1, and with the leaps in processing demands (i.e., making them much lighter on processing power), we'll be seeing this stuff in games very soon indeed.

1 - This one is actually run with ChatGPT, still - but seems no more complex than Rimworld pawns. A tailored AI for this sort of thing could blow Dorfs out of the water, easy.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: April 27, 2023, 01:15:56 am »

They've been talking about adding the AI survivors to that game forever, and I don't think their much closer to adding them then they were a few years ago.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 175