Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 175

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 321901 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2235 on: April 27, 2023, 01:18:46 am »

They've been talking about adding the AI survivors to that game forever, and I don't think their much closer to adding them then they were a few years ago.

Well... AI animals are supposedly being tested right now, which I suppose is technically closer... at least, the addition of non-zombie entities.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2236 on: April 28, 2023, 12:17:12 pm »

(removed something, not sure what, that looked like it might be getting heated?  I'm not sure)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: April 28, 2023, 02:57:27 pm »

Well they are entitled to their opinion, and I came back as instigator, you could have left their stuff up and banned me for still choosing to come back after a cooling off period. But it's the good deeds that don't go unpunished... the actual content of the fiasco is resolved, making the case why some project might have come within our grasp is not going to realise said project.

Idk what to tell you, you didn't do worse at least (from my perspective),  I hope so. I'm just an asshole chugging through his self-neglect, I did nothing to deserve leniency, but thanks I guess.
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: May 01, 2023, 12:08:14 am »

Fired up some Shadow of War to do some orc hunting employment outreach.

Find a nice legendary Orc to "enlist".

I fight them, and am interrupted mid fight by another new, epic orc. Who looks pretty cool. I decide I want to "offer them a position" too. So I dominate the Legendary Orc, we gang up on the Epic Orc, and Shame him into the required level range. Cool.

I then take my newly "recruited" legendary orc to help me "hire" the epic orc. We kick off the "interview."

First we're interrupted by a 3rd, new orc I haven't met who jumps into the fight. The fight commences, things getting a little out of hand as my legendary orc is somewhat under leveled after their uh, "first day orientation" and is getting their ass kicked. But I'm managing, trying to whittle down the Epic orc that I want while dodging another opponent at the same time.

That's when things go from difficult to "eat shit." I have a betrayal event HR situation occur in the middle of this. Two of my own Epic orcs betray me and slit the throat of a third loyal one. So now it's me, one half dead loyal orc, one dying loyal orc in need of a rez, and 4 pissed off level 80 captains. Three of which I want to hire or aggressively re-hire.

Needless to say it turns into a blood bath as one of the orcs that betrayed me was a berzerker with a crossbow and starts mowing captains down with it. First, the legendary orc I brought along on this misadventure gets outright slain, no chance to rez them. Then one of my rebel orcs I wanted to keep gets slain, which happened so fast I didn't have a chance to try to dominate them. Then the Epic orc I originally came to uh, "recruit" gets slain. I manage to rez the orc who got their throat slit, slay the rando orc that interrupted the fight in the beginning and went on to re-bind one of the orcs that rebelled.

Just another day in MF Mordor son.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 12:11:37 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: May 01, 2023, 01:36:22 am »

Don't you dare make we download shadow of waldor again
Love, scriver~

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: May 02, 2023, 12:24:24 pm »

I recently picked up Raiders! Forsaken Earth when it showed up at a good sale price.

Short summary: ever wanted to play in a Mad Max-esque world... as one of the barbaric gangs that Max fights against? Here's your chance! You take control of a group of raiders operating out of a pitiful hole of a hideout. Work your way up from preying on trader caravans, to taking over industries, to dominating entire towns. Kidnap people with useful skills to run buildings in your hideout, kidnap people with useless skills to ransom back for cash. Eventually, use weapons of mass destruction and siege weaponry to take on even the fortified strongholds of slavers, other raiders, and lawmen.

Opinion: The game does a pretty good job of capturing the ambiance of living in a post-apocalyptic world. Once you start gearing up your raiders, the mish-mash of crazy equipment (riot helmet over tire armor, wielding a katana? Sure, why not!) really feels like you're playing a group of scavengers, using anything they can find.

The main downside of the game is that it's just too easy. I took some advice from a review I read and started on 'hard' difficulty. While the start of the game was a little rough, recently my raiders have successfully fought off forces 5x their number, taking no or minimal casualties. The problem is that there's just too many stacking systems: Each level (up to the max of 25) gives you points that you can use to increase your stats, including, importantly, to-hit% and raw damage. Each level also gives you skill points, which can be used to give active and passive abilities that improve your power and staying ability. Getting kills also improves your weapons - a maxed-out weapon (30 kills) has notably higher damage, to-hit%, and crit%.

Once you've got a full party (at least 8 guys - four melee users and four ranged users, since that's the maximum that can be on-screen at once) all up at level 25 and decked out in upgraded armor (which gives both straight HP as well as damage-reduction), you're basically invulnerable, bar a bunch of their shooters all targeting the same raider and getting lucky crits.

I'm not quite done yet, as there's an end-game challenge - an actual army (as opposed to the rabble your force is made up of / fights against) invades your home area. Unless they're a huge difficulty spike, I'm not terribly worried.

Overall, I picked it up for $4, and for that price I've been having a good time. I don't know if it's a $20 game.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: May 03, 2023, 11:00:24 am »

I've been playing Mech Armada recently. It's a fun little tactical rogue-like where you make mechs to fight off monsters that have invaded earth. Well, they call them mechs, but robots is probably a better description since they don't have pilots and are only slightly bigger than a human. Think, golf-cart sized or so, sometimes smaller.

It starts off pretty rough, mostly because you'd think your mechs armed with guns would be able to shoot more than 10 feet away, but they can't. You're basically at melee the entire game, which is very balanced for the small map sizes and enemy abilities, but feels dumb. Your mechs also don't heal by default, so unless you unlock some healing capacity you're basically just going to be replacing them fairly regularly.

Fortunately, it's all about parts available and energy to spawn new mechs, not the actual mechs themselves. So the loss of one just costs you a bit of resources to make a new one.

Once you get into how the game plays, it's quite fun. You earn research points you can use to unlock new parts or upgrade old ones, and the mechs are pretty modular so you can swap stuff around and upgrade your older mechs as the game goes on. You can even do that in-battle if you want, though it ends the mech's turn. You start with 5 mech slots and can unlock more, so the map can get a bit crowded, but not in a frustrating way most of the time.

It also has a slay-the-spire kind of movement system in between battles where you take branching paths to get to the mini-boss at the end of each level. No surprises, really, it tells you what you'll get at each point for the most part (a fight, an item upgrade, or energy/research/meta-energy) and you can usually just plan out your entire route for the level at the start.

Meta progression is fairly standard rogue-like stuff. You earn meta energy that you spend in between runs to give yourself bonuses and you can unlock new starting parts for your mechs.

It's a $20 game on steam, although I bought it on sale, and I'd say it's worth about $20. Not super deep, but I've been enjoying it and it has pretty solid replay since you'll get a different combination of part unlocks each run which drastically changes your playstyle.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: May 06, 2023, 06:47:18 am »

some ai chat implementation on skyrim :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6sVWEu9HWU

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: May 06, 2023, 09:51:52 am »

I mean I guess it had to be expected we'd see it there first but I don't think that's a particularly good fit for it. They don't need to make up background stories if anything it might conflict with lore, you dont particularly want to type in this game (especially not in VR), you have to rely on text-to-speech, and idk, dialogue in general in elder scrolls was allways just filler to direct you to your next goal...

All that being said it's still very exciting, I hope to see more mods like that.
let

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: May 06, 2023, 11:29:14 am »

I think Evilution is better than The Plutionia Experiment.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: May 06, 2023, 01:49:22 pm »

Well, that's bold.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2246 on: May 06, 2023, 02:13:13 pm »

TIL that Final Doom is actually two 2nd Party addon WADs created for Doom 2.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: May 06, 2023, 04:05:47 pm »

Give Scythe (the first one as there are a Scythe 2 and 3 ) a try, that's a truly excellent megawad with small maps very well designed and some interesting challenge variety, there's even a very good slaughterfest near the end (map 26) .

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: May 09, 2023, 09:26:00 am »

I tried Hero's Rest this week, and overall, it's pretty good.
The premise or setting of the game is you're running the town that adventurers go to, to obtain Quests, then buy what they need (gear, armor, weapons, potions, food) before and after the Quests.  You create the supply and demand for the whole adventure loop.
Layouts of the towns are limited to 4 settings/biomes at the moment.  Some are objectively better than others, just due to distance & pathing, but they all get the job done in terms of being able to create the 7 different shops.
You can have an Inn, Blacksmith, Woodworker, Tanner, Tailor, Apothecary, and Training Grounds.  Each has their own workshop for Adventurers, and then a separate 'civilian' feature, for visitors who aren't specifically Questing Adventurers.

The clever bit is you have to collect all the raw materials to make the stuff that you need to create & provide the goods the visitors and adventurers will consume or want.
You create the Quests, food, and every category of gear, all from the raw materials.  Raw materials categories are metal, wood, cloth, leather, herbs, food,  Each one has four tiers, and you need the higher tier raw material before making the higher tier goods within each shop.  You can only have one shop per plot of land within the town, and how it's laid out doesn't really matter, as long as the objects are placed within each.
You can use Tier 2 items to advance to Tier 3, or even Tier 1 items to advance to Tier 3, in terms of XP granted to advance, within each shop.
You should only make gear your specific classes need.  You create each adventuring class, and recruit only those classes you want/create.  Each class has different bonuses in terms of what they bring to the town (when they're in town).
This means if you make classes that use two handed swords, don't make daggers.  :D  Tanners have the most demand and appear to make the most (legitimate) money.

The tutorial is good, didn't run into any bugs.  All the hackable values are just 4 byte integers, so that's extremely handy if you don't want to grind through hours of gameplay to see how the story/plot advances.  This includes the storage of all raw materials and gold, as well as upgrade gems.
In terms of story, the outline is that you keep sending adventurers on quests to specific areas, and those areas open up until you have a complete knowledge of all locations, then you can create high CR (Challenge Rating) Quests that lead to the Boss fight.  Once the boss has been removed, you now control that territory, but that just advances to the next territory. Goblins, Kobolds, Animals, Bandits, Orcs & Trolls, Elementals, Undead, Giants, Demons, Dragons are the territories.
From time to time the King will send you requests for materials, which if you satisfy, you get rewarded.
There are 'Imminent Threats' which are things like, if you don't kill x of y Goblins or Kobolds, they attack your town, and your Constitution-class based heroes will try to fight them off.  If not, they steal money and resources.

Fair warning, if you get ahead of the CR curve, you can't go back unless you ditch your high level adventurers (remove their classes) and start again with a new class type.  that's just to get Adventurers who are low enough level/CR that they can do all that low-level exploration.  Ultimately it doesn't seem to matter too much, the Imminent threats aren't game-ending and you can create high CR 'slay' quests to keep your adventurers happy.  Some adventurers die.. especially those just starting out without a lot of good gear, money, or potions to help them along.  Some end up with Epic or Legendary gear that you happened to make and/or upgrade.

That's the part that's pretty fun, in my opinion, you outfitting then sending them off and seeing the results.  Some of them come back under 5% health and 100% morale, because they just LOVED that quest so much that they almost died.  It's pretty funny that way.  When they get particularly good items, they say things like "That Backpack of Slaying is going to make me a Legend!"
GPU load & performance of the game, with appropriate settings, is efficient from what I saw.  It won't turn your GPU into a space heater unless you max out everything.
Anyway, that's my opinion of Hero's Rest, worth trying if you've never played anything similar.  I've also tried Travellers Rest, and that one focuses more on being an Innkeeper, rather than all the different aspects of adventuring, at least so far.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: May 10, 2023, 09:00:08 am »

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Not gonna resurrect the dedicated thread just for this - just wanted to say that I picked it up on sale on a whim, having previously dismissed it as just another generic DnD RPG. And it's the most fun I've had with this genre since the original Planescape. It's great. Presentation, writing, characters, the munchkin-y min-maxing, the HoM&M-lite strategy bits, it's all excellent. I've already sunk some 50h into it, and it feels like I'm maybe half-way through the story.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 175