Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 320325 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1275 on: August 03, 2021, 12:35:51 am »

Taur is a pretty neat base building tower defense game. I'm not sure its worth a buy since you get pretty much everything from a playthrough so it isn't worth multiple and the game itself is fairly simple.
Its also slow enough that I fired up cheat engine so that I could increase the game speed so I didn't have to waste time waiting.
Pros:
+Very pretty.
+Watching all your towers and units fight is neat.
Cons:
-Not all that deep strategy wise
-Unskippable cutscenes and slow scene transitions
-Significant time between waves for no real reason which is annoying.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: August 04, 2021, 11:38:58 am »

While it's a game that certainly does deserve its own thread (although the one I found is a few years in the ground at this point), there's been a recent notification for Airships: Conquer the Skies about how it's going to have a price increase soon, going up to $24.99.

It's a neat little game and definitely worth checking out, so if you're interested in laying down some green for it be aware that now's probably the time to do it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: August 05, 2021, 05:44:46 pm »

Very impressed by this week epic store freebie "A Plague Tale : Innocence"
Even after lowering video settings to get it smooth on my system, it still look rather amazing.

Dialogues and dubbing are really good and very convincing, the actors have done a very good job.

So much happiness all around your teenage character , enjoying life with her "happy go lucky" family, while she move through the world, and you get the chance to meet so many wonderfully loving people in this game.
... oh maybe that's something none that played the game will ever tell you, though at least Amicia was happy with her good dog and her father when they entered the forest at the start :D

more seriously, 2 things to know :

- chapter 1 , there's a chance you may break your progression at a specific location :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

- chapter 2, the crate that can't be climbed on despite it's the only way

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:12:31 pm by Robsoie »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: August 07, 2021, 02:51:42 am »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1685310/The_Wayward_Realms/

Julian LeFay and Co. -- the original pre-todd developers of TES are making a new game... something to follow if you're interested
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: August 07, 2021, 03:29:55 am »

Last year someone mentionned the existence of a real time game in development very inspired by Cataclysm and CDDA :
https://old.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/dw8we1/i_found_out_that_some_guy_is_working_on_a_game/

And it looks like development never ceased as there have been a Kickstarter for it launched last week that reached its founding goal with still 23 days to go for the stretch goals :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monosw2000/nearly-dead

A trailer :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-BgPe4Wimg

And it's on Steam now, with a playable demo.

Nearly Dead

With the zombie apocalypse wiping out the trappings of society, you are finally free to pursue your true goal of becoming a furry.

It's... Pretty rough at this stage. The claim that it'll be done this quarter is laughable, it's incredibly clunky and buggy, and 90% of the feedback in the game is "*description coming soon*" or "null" or "快樂土豆發射台吃掉了我的褲子". My trait of having a human diet (this changes depending on how mutated you are) was quick to enlighten me that this status meant I had ":condition-change -50, :condition-change -4, :condition-change -0, :condition-change -20, :condition-change +50", putting the matter to rest.

Sometimes, you'll enter a state where opening doors will bring up your inventory page and plaster it across the screen. This can be remedied by mashing the "search" key (defaults to K) 2-3 times. Still kinda disconcerting when you happened to be popping open the monster closet featured in several houses.

Bodies occasionally forget that they're dead and will stand up to stare into the distance when you're not looking at them. This can be slightly disconcerting. I recommend butchering them into pieces that can no longer rigor mortis their way into an upright position.

On a similar note, apocalypse victims will sometimes forget that they're supposed to be dead, and will stand around aimlessly until you get closer and Mr. Human suddenly trips, falls, and tries to eat your ankles with his pristine and unmutated white teeth. You can take his bottle of mineral water off him when he's dead, as recompense.

The character customization lets you choose a character with a slightly smaller stomach (+1 point) or slightly larger stomach (-1 point), making an about 15% difference in the total capacity of nutrition your belly can store. You can also pick both at the same time, for quantum snacking.

This is meaningless however, since you can just eat beyond what your belly holds anyways and it'll keep getting added to the bar. Similarly, you can sleep until you're more awake than you can possibly be.

Don't boil water in batches larger than your single largest fluid container. When the recipe completes, you need to select a single container which will then be filled with the liquid. Anything beyond that one container's limit will simply cease to exist. It won't even get poured onto the floor.

I realized this when I'd filled up 6 small water bottles with a total of 18 dirty water from the kitchen tap, and then boiled it all at once. I then had 3 clean water, because it can only handle filling a single container at a time.

It's all good though, because boiling that water taught me how to make pemmican.

Fun game, interested to see where it goes from here.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: August 07, 2021, 04:26:38 am »

And it's on Steam now, with a playable demo.

Nearly Dead

It's also available on itch.io
https://monosw2000.itch.io/nearly-dead

(though at the time i write when you click to download it goes to google drive, not itch.io servers ? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VvWqvBPT8nhWWa8Ddv7u4Ku8O2J9H_7_/view?usp=sharing )

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: August 07, 2021, 05:36:00 am »

Do you guys know if it'll work on Win7?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: August 07, 2021, 05:39:05 am »

No idea. I do know that it has separate buttons for three different types of kick, though.

Also you can stack boots for extra protection.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: August 07, 2021, 08:51:57 am »

Bodies occasionally forget that they're dead and will stand up to stare into the distance when you're not looking at them. This can be slightly disconcerting. I recommend butchering them into pieces that can no longer rigor mortis their way into an upright position.

On a similar note, apocalypse victims will sometimes forget that they're supposed to be dead, and will stand around aimlessly until you get closer and Mr. Human suddenly trips, falls, and tries to eat your ankles with his pristine and unmutated white teeth. You can take his bottle of mineral water off him when he's dead, as recompense.

Z-posing

edit:
Very impressed by this week epic store freebie "A Plague Tale : Innocence"
Even after lowering video settings to get it smooth on my system, it still look rather amazing.

Dialogues and dubbing are really good and very convincing, the actors have done a very good job.

So much happiness all around your teenage character , enjoying life with her "happy go lucky" family, while she move through the world, and you get the chance to meet so many wonderfully loving people in this game.
... oh maybe that's something none that played the game will ever tell you, though at least Amicia was happy with her good dog and her father when they entered the forest at the start :D

more seriously, 2 things to know :

- chapter 1 , there's a chance you may break your progression at a specific location :

- chapter 2, the crate that can't be climbed on despite it's the only way

I've been thinking of getting this game since it came out, probably the most tempted I've been to get epic so far

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1685310/The_Wayward_Realms/

Julian LeFay and Co. -- the original pre-todd developers of TES are making a new game... something to follow if you're interested

Definitely going on my lookout list
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 09:00:20 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: August 07, 2021, 09:14:08 am »

There's a solution if you want to get some of the epic freebies but are very reluctant to install their epic launcher :
the legal open source alternative to the epic launcher : Legendary and if you're not at ease with using command lines maybe a frontend for it like Rare
https://github.com/derrod/legendary
https://github.com/Dummerle/Rare

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #1285 on: August 07, 2021, 01:36:16 pm »

There's a solution if you want to get some of the epic freebies but are very reluctant to install their epic launcher :
the legal open source alternative to the epic launcher : Legendary and if you're not at ease with using command lines maybe a frontend for it like Rare

This is impressive! I couldn't find anything similar for Steam. The closest things are linux-exclusive it seems.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1286 on: August 07, 2021, 02:53:03 pm »

This is impressive! I couldn't find anything similar for Steam. The closest things are linux-exclusive it seems.
Steam is aggressively anti-alternate interface. Probably a big reason they manage to talk most pubs into not including further layers of DRM. Double-edged.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 07, 2021, 04:01:59 pm »

There's another frontend for Legendary, "Heroic Game Launcher"
https://github.com/Heroic-Games-Launcher/HeroicGamesLauncher

I only use Rare so i have no idea if this one is better or worse, but if Rare does not suit you, you can try this one.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 07, 2021, 04:32:59 pm »

I just dropped in here, but those links are... are people actually developing alternatives to the Epic Launcher because it's so bad?

I'm not sure if this is extremely sad, or the most hilarious thing I've seen today. Either way, thank you for posting them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: August 08, 2021, 02:56:22 am »

To me, having alternative is always good. But i guess all the controversies (regardless is they were true or false) about the epic launcher are probably what motivated those open source development (especially considering the quality of some of the epic freebie). 

I just hope one day there will be similar open source alternative to the steam one (or origin or uplay or whatever else closed that likes to gather your data).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 03:03:02 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 174