Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 257982 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Tearing the Stitches of Reality
« Reply #1605 on: September 18, 2016, 04:23:45 pm »

((Dropping apocalypse fire into seams of world probably wasn't such a smart idea. But now the word very much lives up for its fame. Finally 8) ))

"SEAM? IS THIS A PATCHWORK WORLD?"

I order a drink of liquid truth with side order of clarity, please. Alcoholic variant. Honey and blood based, if possible. Would APOCALYPSE end what APOCALYPSE started? And what the hell is going on with world so weak that it can't take a little of unnatural fire?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: September 18, 2016, 05:20:15 pm »

"I'm not entirely sure what I am. Who are you?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: September 19, 2016, 01:41:00 am »

"Going to fucking murder whoever caused this. Probably that Eileen lady. Never leave her to wander off by herself.

Listen! This place probably not safe for long. Well is safer. For me at least. I can store you in my presence to stop you from getting hurt if need. Lay down. Don't resist."

Store the blacksmith and Diedre in my connection absorption space thing. Well, Diedre's optional, but get the blacksmith. Explain that I'm not gonna kill them or anything, in fact this'll make them safer, to make the process quicker.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: September 19, 2016, 06:53:56 am »

((Well, I think that's the body count contest sorted.))

Okay, maybe the trip can wait a moment.

Seek cover, probably in the same direction the forest creatures are going.  Brace in a doorway?  That probably doesn't apply if you're already outside.

[Chaos On The Borderlands: 2]

The earth becomes like the surface of a lake in a rainstorm, waving and shaking beneath your feet. You run with the animals, but they seem to have the strategy of running away from the source - you run about a mile back before you realize as a doe tumbles into an opening crack in the ground that they don't have any idea what they're doing either. Pores open in the ground, then close again, trees fall, water starts to flow unusually.

[Evacuation Procedures: 5]

You are back at the riverside by the castle. Quite a few more people appear to have joined the guards, and oddly enough they seem to be very well-versed in evacuation procedure, to the point where pretty much everybody seems to have gone over to this side, very few people remaining unaccounted for as the guards check up each and every one of their fellows. One of them - one of the two guard sisters you recall from before - approaches you, asking if you're all right, and more importantly whether you know anything about this earthquake.

Odder still, the rope bridge seems to be in awfully good shape. You guess having moving parts is actually a good thing in an earthquake. It looks especially nice in relation to the castle. Oh dear, the castle. It really does seem to be doing poorly. There's a giant crack in one of the walls. And the minder tower is about this close to falling over, you believe.

Pah. I'm pretty sure I can't suffer any permanent internal damage. Best not to stick around, though.
Time to go. Out of the castle entirely if that looks practical, but getting away from the keep should be a good start.

((Hmm. Would it be a spoiler to ask if This Is The End would have happened anyway or if it was assumed one of us would set it off sooner or later?))

You get the strange feeling that when you originally saw the horrible end of the castle, the ETA on it wasn't quite "early tomorrow". But hey, it's happening! Oh boy, it's definitely happening!

[I Should Go: 4]

You duck through the nearby doorway and get out of the castle just as it starts getting serious about its collapse business. You hear shrieking from deeper within as you leap through the open doorway, accompanied by a horrific, very dubiously human shrieking coming from deep within the ground floor wings.

Out in the courtyard the buildings dance to the rhythm of the earth, bits falling off them as they do, roofs bending, walls cracking. The earth undulates and heaves in ragged breaths.

Deirdre looks very happy to see you, backing away behind you as you stumble through the doorway. Nately, meanwhile, steps back toward you as well. It takes you a moment to identify what they're backing away from - Mr. Daniels, his boneless body waving like charmed snake, trying to invite your two companions to come into himself. It's probably a good time to leave, Deirdre suggests. Very quickly. As quickly as possible.

((Dropping apocalypse fire into seams of world probably wasn't such a smart idea. But now the word very much lives up for its fame. Finally 8) ))

"SEAM? IS THIS A PATCHWORK WORLD?"

I order a drink of liquid truth with side order of clarity, please. Alcoholic variant. Honey and blood based, if possible. Would APOCALYPSE end what APOCALYPSE started? And what the hell is going on with world so weak that it can't take a little of unnatural fire?

YES! Lee seems positive on that. IT'S THE CORNER OF THE WORLD! DIDN'T YOU KNOW?

[The Laws of the Sea: 4]

You turn toward the raging storm, liquid poetry running through your veins. And you start to discern a pattern. This is a seam - was a seam. But not a seam of the world - the world continues beneath uninterrupted, but not in any shape you would recognize. You see the flashes of light, bubbles of light forming clouds up in the sky, raining memories of a different world, taking strange and familiar shapes. It is matter, but matter abused, twisted, changed.

Where does it come from? Deeper in, you think. It is not quite from here. Its alien nature corrupts what it touches. It comes from the actual corner, many miles northward, shaped by extrauniversal voltages. You see traces of exhaustive experimentation in its architecture. It is deconstructed, broken, the waste of some massive effort undertaken by entities vastly more alien than itself.

What will it do? It will form a great river as its seal breaks. Your apocalyptic power has touched the sea, and now it responds with imitation. It will go on for some time, as your inspiration is compelling and easy for it to imitate. Not infinite, mind you. You can see it weakening even now. Why, it'll hardly go on for more than a hundred miles in either direction. Should settle down within the week. Or you could inspire it otherwise - the sea is much like the substrate, suggestible in nature, but lacking a guiding force. But certainly not with the Words you possess. Either would hasten or amplify the effect. This you can guarantee. And Words upon Words can only create horrific disaster.

"I'm not entirely sure what I am. Who are you?"

She fishes in the light - she is a fisher. Would you like to see? If you are a mermaid, you could cross to the other side. Would you like to try?

The fisher floats over to one side of the water wall, giving way. Would you like to swim? You have an aspect of the dark, now that she looks. Would you like to observe?

"Going to fucking murder whoever caused this. Probably that Eileen lady. Never leave her to wander off by herself.

Listen! This place probably not safe for long. Well is safer. For me at least. I can store you in my presence to stop you from getting hurt if need. Lay down. Don't resist."

Store the blacksmith and Diedre in my connection absorption space thing. Well, Diedre's optional, but get the blacksmith. Explain that I'm not gonna kill them or anything, in fact this'll make them safer, to make the process quicker.

Yeah, how about no, Deirdre says, backing away briskly. Quite, Nately seems to agree, he'd really rather wait for Mr. Wilde to show up and look there he is! Mr. Wilde seems a bit confused stumbling out of the crumbling keep as Deirdre stands behind him and Nately retreats over to his side. For some reason neither of them are quite willing to trust in your good intentions. You wonder why.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: September 19, 2016, 08:18:06 am »

The dark? Hm, this lady might know something about the well.

"I would like to try crossing over. I'm not sure if I can breathe over there, so I might not be able to stay." I try to enter the wall of water.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: September 19, 2016, 01:24:56 pm »

"Indeed it is."
Eh, can't leave him. "You need a hand, Daniels?"
Leave quickly. Help Daniels along if he asks me to.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: September 19, 2016, 03:14:02 pm »

"Yes. We get out of castle now. Wish to live long enough to reverse this. Extract retribution if necessary."

Accept help.
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: September 19, 2016, 04:03:23 pm »

"Oh wow. THIS WORLD SUCKS! NOT THAT MINE IS MUCH BETTER, BUT AT LEAST IT WASN'T WASTE PRODUCT OF... OF... OF WEIRD THINGS! BY THE WAY, THIS WILL END WITHIN A WEEK."

Idea of heroic sacrifice popped into my mind, but gonna ignore it now. It Ain't The End Of The World.

Actually...

Time to do the stupid.

Give the brass box to Lee. "YOU KNOW WHERE TO TAKE THIS, RIGHT? NOW I GOTTA GO AND FIX MY FUCK UPS. SEE YA LATER!" Leif gives Lee his most charming smile and runs back towards the seam. All the way back, slide in, jump in, down into depths. Take over the world!
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: September 19, 2016, 06:47:18 pm »

"Is the castle on a faultline?  Are earthquakes normal around here?  I really don't know much about Australia; is it near the Pacific plate?  In any case, there's much to do in preparing a structure for earthquakes.  I don't really know the specifics; not many earthquakes in New York."

Discuss structural preparedness while the ground shakes.

((PS: No, Australia is not directly on the Pacific plate.  The border sort of follows New Guinea/New Zealand.  Today I learned.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: September 21, 2016, 03:20:32 pm »

The dark? Hm, this lady might know something about the well.

"I would like to try crossing over. I'm not sure if I can breathe over there, so I might not be able to stay." I try to enter the wall of water.

[Lady In The Water: 2]

As the fisher gives way, you step into the murk and cold. It's dark, it's green, it stings your eyes and feels thick around your nose as you hold your breath, not daring to inhale. Gravity shifts suddenly and precipitously, and you almost start flailing to try and keep balance before the fisher closes her handlike set of tentacles around your arm to steady you for a moment.

If you are a mermaid, you should be safe. To be a mermaid is to belong in both worlds in equal measure.

"Indeed it is."
Eh, can't leave him. "You need a hand, Daniels?"
Leave quickly. Help Daniels along if he asks me to.

[Leaving Quick-Like: 6]

Mr. Daniels is a lot less weighty now that he's lost most of his bones and such. You grab him, eliciting a groan of immense displeasure, and turn around just in time to observe the venerable minder tower violently collapse before you in a surprisingly convenient, if nevertheless cataclysmic and disastrous manner, leaving a path of rubble leading straight up to the nearby wall. As you watch the gatehouse start to fall apart, you figure this to be your best chance, and lead the way, the wormlike shape of Mr. Daniels dragging behind you, making noise as he occasionally impacts a stray piece of debris.

[Driving Up The Wall: 2]

Of course, just as you step on top of the rubble, seeking to take advantage of its elevated nature, it starts to also collapse in on itself, which casts serious doubt on the idea that it'd be workable as an escape route. Particularly since you need to drag a whole other guy up it as you run.

[Social Climbing: 6]

And particularly since neither Deirdre nor Nately seem to have a similar problem as they climb on up, bits of the ruins collapsing in their wake as they balance along pieces of stray wall and other loose bits, getting all the way up to the wildly shaking castle wall, which seems sturdy enough to hold a little better than the rest of the structures, though now they seem to be facing the problem of how to get down the other side.

"Yes. We get out of castle now. Wish to live long enough to reverse this. Extract retribution if necessary."

Accept help.

Mr. Wilde is eager to help, grabbing you by your gelatinous arm and dragging you with him all the way to the collapsing ruins of the minder tower, which he seems to have considerable trouble navigating while lugging you around at a pace that wouldn't get him buried as the rubble beneath him continues to cave in.

[A Pile Of Rocks: 1]

Speaking of, as Mr. Wilde starts to consider if climbing up this tower is a good idea at all, you notice that the nearby shrine has split in half right down the middle, and is starting to fall inward. Out of it seem to protrude very perceptible tendrils. They tickle your perceptions, coaxing out small pieces of experience as you stare on glassily. Cracks are spreading along the ground.

"Oh wow. THIS WORLD SUCKS! NOT THAT MINE IS MUCH BETTER, BUT AT LEAST IT WASN'T WASTE PRODUCT OF... OF... OF WEIRD THINGS! BY THE WAY, THIS WILL END WITHIN A WEEK."

Idea of heroic sacrifice popped into my mind, but gonna ignore it now. It Ain't The End Of The World.

Actually...

Time to do the stupid.

Give the brass box to Lee. "YOU KNOW WHERE TO TAKE THIS, RIGHT? NOW I GOTTA GO AND FIX MY FUCK UPS. SEE YA LATER!" Leif gives Lee his most charming smile and runs back towards the seam. All the way back, slide in, jump in, down into depths. Take over the world!

You hand Lee the box! YOU KNOW WHERE TO TAKE THIS, RIGHT, you say, and she says ELIZABETH, so you say CLOSE ENOUGH and head out to enact THE BEST PLAN.

[Walking Toward The Explosion: 5]

You duck through pillars of white flame and bubbles of dire warning, navigate eddies of physics gone wrong and the storm of horrible dust, and as the booming noise of the canyon continuing to explode grows quieter and quieter, until finally it stops. When you are at the edge, all that you hear is a hum.

Beyond the precipice is an ancient sea, pieces of the canyon crumbling into it, floating as they slowly dissolve in unnatural currents of light and impossibility. It is blindingly bright, and seemingly infinite beneath you, contracting and expanding in explosions. You jump a little to the left as a large piece of canyon falls into it, slowly starting to float down, whirls of glittering smoke coming off the edges as they grind against matter that should not be.

It stands almost half a mile wide, this glimpse of the sea, and you think you see faint outlines of various figures in it, afterimages. A stork with wings spread. A sword tearing violently outward. A spear flying. Small meadows emerging from the soup, then melting away once more. A bubble of white floats up past your face, blossoming into a golden moth. Curious, shapeless currents turn to examine you, surrounded by waves of erupting divine fire.

[The Best Plan: 3]

You wonder if the mead is still working, or whether this is truly what it looks like.

"Is the castle on a faultline?  Are earthquakes normal around here?  I really don't know much about Australia; is it near the Pacific plate?  In any case, there's much to do in preparing a structure for earthquakes.  I don't really know the specifics; not many earthquakes in New York."

Discuss structural preparedness while the ground shakes.

((PS: No, Australia is not directly on the Pacific plate.  The border sort of follows New Guinea/New Zealand.  Today I learned.))

It is not, the guardswoman says, and they are most certainly not. Or at least she should hope they'd build the castles better if that were the case, she points at the currently buckling walls of the castle.

[Structural Preparedness: 3]

Hrm. Can't say she'll miss the place. Almost satisfying to see it fall to dust as a recompense for the past few months. She never could get used to staying in one place. Speaking of, how long is this earthquake going to take, do you think? She was rather looking forward to raiding that damn town. You think asking the commander would be a good idea?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:26:19 pm by Harry Baldman »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: September 21, 2016, 03:56:26 pm »

((I have two separate body counts?))
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: September 21, 2016, 08:38:30 pm »

"Uh.  I've never been in one myself, but I do think this one is going on a bit long.  Surely it's wearing off.  Or maybe it's an aftershock.  Might as well ask her!"

Converse.  Be helpful.  Just generally observe, really; this isn't travelling weather.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: September 21, 2016, 11:26:46 pm »

((I have two separate body counts?))

Good catch! You now stand at 33.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: September 22, 2016, 12:19:58 am »

angry

"You get the FUCK back into the shrine this is NOT the TIME"

Hopefully Wilde gets us out; if not, REND the nearest castle wall to bits to make an exit.

Necessary clarification: not the entire wall, just a section of it. Assist the demolition with floppy worm-arm punches if necessary.

Spew profanity.

Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: September 22, 2016, 02:03:49 am »

"Hello there you weird thing. You are in need of guidance, right? Wanna see how viking handles things? Follow my example!"

Leading by example, Leif withdraws into his mental world, inviting the sea in. Repeatedly, if it doesn't catch my drift. There he shows aftermath of apocalypse, and how to rebuild broken anew. Especially gods like Hœnir. From memory of knowledge new beings imagined into existance. Recreate all Ęsir and Vanir just to show it how it's done. Maybe it can follow my example. Bring my gods into reality.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 161