Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 257985 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Tearing the Stitches of Reality
« Reply #1590 on: September 15, 2016, 08:07:18 am »

"Though I didn't anticipate presence of massive underground natural gas reservoirs. This one seems unfortunately large. I hope this won't become another Door to Hell. The previous one is still burning, sixty years after its ignition."

Evacuation seems like a proper plan. Pay attention on those glowing cracks spreading.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: September 15, 2016, 08:10:33 am »

This thing seems friendly enough. I follow it into the building.

((As far as I can tell, Derm killed 145 stoats with help from his sun thing, while I killed 175 with my sea monster, as well as killing various gaunts and ancient royal constructs at other points. Considering he only played the first third of the game, though, I'm very impressed with his efficiency.))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: September 15, 2016, 08:14:50 am »

((He got praise worthy words early on, so it's no wonder.))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: September 15, 2016, 01:32:13 pm »

*ggghhhhhhhh*

Mouth foaming. Mind bloody. Find blacksmith. Disable legs. Must not leave until fixed.

Stand up and find blacksmith. If blacksmith is not near his cabin, find nearest person and ask where he is. Write in the dirt if I need to. Don't tolerate any delays.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:24:30 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: September 15, 2016, 02:14:18 pm »

Interesting! Great potential here, if I can ever master it. And not do it involuntarily. In a room full of children.
Oh.
"Oh, hello there! You wouldn't happen to know what's just happened, would you? I'm rather confused about it myself."

Check I'm fully back to normal and start heading for the exit. Engage in conversation but don't stop walking whatever they say.

I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: September 15, 2016, 07:54:09 pm »

Nope.

"Gee well that sounds like fun maybe we will meet along the way I do hope things go well for you here oh you should probably take care of that bye now."

Head on to the north.  This sounds like an internal problem that doesn't need interference.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: September 16, 2016, 11:21:14 am »

"Though I didn't anticipate presence of massive underground natural gas reservoirs. This one seems unfortunately large. I hope this won't become another Door to Hell. The previous one is still burning, sixty years after its ignition."

Evacuation seems like a proper plan. Pay attention on those glowing cracks spreading.

Lee doesn't quite understand what you're referring to there, but her momentary quizzical look gives way to the obvious wisdom of continuing to evacuate as swiftly as possible. You choose the most orthogonal direction from the canyon and start running at the same time. It's a lot like a race, except everyone's a winner! Except the ones who are dead.

[Run For Your Lives: 4]

Sprinting flat out, you make it about a mile out before you feel safe enough to say that if you still get killed, there was probably no way for you to escape death to begin with. Lee stumbles as you slow your pace, her heart nearly giving out even under all the adrenaline, and you yourself feel a lot like somebody's replaced your blood with liquid helium, a chilling crawly sensation making you suspect you'll be feeling this next morning.

As you both stop a long distance away, breathing heavily as explosions ring out in the distance, you see that the flashes of light behind you are taking a while to emit their corresponding bangs. Though they've definitely kept spreading at a geometric pace, the horizon now lined with waves and ripples of white, scouring flames. You almost think they're getting closer as they increase in size every minute or so. The earth has begun to shake violently, spiderweb cracks spreading along it in your direction from afar.

[Women And Children First: 6]

Some distance to your right you see the Stork Clan, or however much of it stayed around here - a hundred people perhaps, you would say, a few of them carrying tents that they've grabbed in the confusion, four warriors watching the others like hawks as quite a few others seem to have returned to grab the rest of their valuables from the camp.

This, as it turns out, proves a rather critical mistake, as there is a sudden great flash as the flames rise to the sky and a blast knocks you, Lee and pretty much the rest of the gathered clan off their feet, dirt rising in a massive cloud as a tract of land is disintegrated by the exploding canyon, trailing along the entire horizon as the reaction goes on in a massive chain, cracks spreading in the wake of its progress. Everything shakes violently, the cracks not so slow in spreading in your direction anymore, looking like flat, dwindling lightning bolts as they race along the landscape under the massive stress the ground is being subjected to.

The air is choked with dust, and you can't see a goddamn thing as more and more of it keeps washing over you in lazy waves as it billows outward and settles at the same time. You hear Lee cough a few times before audibly pulling up her dress to cover her face. The roar continues as a massive earthquake rips through the land, though the explosions start to grow a little more distant.

This thing seems friendly enough. I follow it into the building.

The beaver-esque bridge to the hollowed mound of branches crunches under your feet as you head over to the opening and lean in as you spot a fire... going sideways above a pool of water? And you think deeper down in there is the... you lean in a little to make out the details and your sense of balance goes completely haywire for a second as you tumble forward.

When you get up, gravity seems to have taken a 90 degree turn, the vertical tunnel of the hole looking strangely horizontal as you stand next to a gently smoking campfire, the smoke rolling to your right toward a distant wall of blue, slightly cloudy sky.

You look to the other side, and see a rippling wall of water. Behind it, dimly visible in the firelight mostly on account of sheer proximity, is the long-armed figure of the fisher, which stands still and stares at you. Four nautiloid vision-holes with no eyeballs to speak of are organized symmetrically around its puckered mouth, each narrowing or widening independently as it angles its head to get a better look at you for a few moments, floating along the breadth of the water wall to try and get a sense of what exactly you seem to be.

*ggghhhhhhhh*

Mouth foaming. Mind bloody. Find blacksmith. Disable legs. Must not leave until fixed.

Stand up and find blacksmith. If blacksmith is not near his cabin, find nearest person and ask where he is. Write in the dirt if I need to. Don't tolerate any delays.

[The Worm That Walks: 2]

You can't stand up, actually. Well, not for long. You can do a snaking sort of S-shape with some effort that is about as easy to walk in as you would expect. You press on, trying your best to walk as fast as you can, and eventually make it over to the door. Flopping your sausage-like arm into it you manage to bust it open and then land out in the courtyard on your back, your head making soft contact with the dirt just as the ground starts to rumble menacingly.

Interesting! Great potential here, if I can ever master it. And not do it involuntarily. In a room full of children.
Oh.
"Oh, hello there! You wouldn't happen to know what's just happened, would you? I'm rather confused about it myself."

Check I'm fully back to normal and start heading for the exit. Engage in conversation but don't stop walking whatever they say.

The running person doesn't seem to be in the mood for conversation, which you suppose is fine. You head over to the foyer, where more people waste no time in scattering as you give them a quick greeting, leaving but two in place by the keep's open door. The first is Nately, who walks in your direction. Mr. Wilde! He was WONDERING when you'd come to!

Slightly behind him is Deirdre, hanging around the open doorway with a look of concern, raising an eyebrow at your once more quasi-normal bearing, feeling her chances of not being eaten if you come closer to be about 50-50. She asks if you'd mind staying a little ways back - for safety purposes, y'know?

It's perfectly safe, Nately says with a conviction that makes you seriously doubt he legitimately knows what he's talking about, then walks up to you and taps you on the shoulder. As your entire skin twitches on your body exactly once at the tap, he draws his hand back hurriedly. Yes, he says reassuringly to himself, perfectly safe!

What happened, you decide to ask, as you can't really remember yourself, and from both Nately and Deirdre you come to understand that clearly something went wrong in that room you were in. Some bloody minders got bloody eaten, Deirdre explains, that's what happened! And then most everyone decided to barricade the door and run, adds Nately. Simple affair, really!

The castle starts to rumble and shake gently. Nately looks around excitedly. Aha! An earthquake! Earthquakes are good luck for trips, did you know? He seems to be waiting for you to ask why.

Nope.

"Gee well that sounds like fun maybe we will meet along the way I do hope things go well for you here oh you should probably take care of that bye now."

Head on to the north.  This sounds like an internal problem that doesn't need interference.

You're not sure what these children want, but it surely can't be hygienic, so you exercise the better part of valor and head over the bridge into a brand new day of presumable travel. Looking back, you see the children approach closer, the commander looking gravely alarmed at something. Shortly after the children the castle is also vacated by the queen herself, and a rather sizable entourage of her attending staff, the girl holding up her dress a little as she too tries to run as quickly as possible to the commander's side, solidly outpaced by the lord of the castle, who has no worries about taking a tumble or two in his quest to get the hell out of dodge. Soon the riverside is even more filled with people than before as you head north along the road, looking back.

You stare straight ahead. There is a road sign stuck into a mound of rocks. Elizabeth, 53 miles north-northwest. Anglefork, 2 miles south. To Be Announced, 20 miles north. Seems you have quite a distance to cross before you get there. And... huh. Do your senses deceive you, or is the ground rumbling?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: September 16, 2016, 11:39:22 am »

*nnnnnnnggggggghhhhhhh*

Nope. Nope. Not happening today. Get back up. Walk. Walk to the ... they were taking a stoatman into the keep. The well wants stoatmen. The well can provide me with the means to heal myself. Go to the keep.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: September 16, 2016, 12:22:36 pm »

Thomas took a quick note to add checking for earthquake stability on his insurance inspections, and headed on his way.

Northward!  Toward... TBA?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: September 16, 2016, 03:22:29 pm »

Leif covers his mouth with hand and tries to speak.

"I probably should have asked this first, but do you happen know anything about that canyon other than the bottom being filled with oxygenated and highly explosive gas?"

((Whoopsie.))
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:53:36 am by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: September 16, 2016, 03:34:01 pm »

I wave at the creature again. "Hello," I say loudly enough to be heard through a bit of water. "Do you speak?"

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: September 16, 2016, 04:02:27 pm »

"In what way is it good luck? Especially if it's due to that thing I had a vision of earlier. Very bad news in that case. Just like the news that whatever my body is made of seems perfectly capable of running on autopilot and said autopilot's first instinct is to feed. Blame the rats for that, I suppose."
Keep talking. Oh, and stop it with that twitch-when-touched thing. I'm in control now. Just don't stop talking.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: September 18, 2016, 06:46:56 am »

*nnnnnnnggggggghhhhhhh*

Nope. Nope. Not happening today. Get back up. Walk. Walk to the ... they were taking a stoatman into the keep. The well wants stoatmen. The well can provide me with the means to heal myself. Go to the keep.

[Stand Tall: 4]

You rise up with less effort this time, undulating to keep stable, exerting constant muscle movement to maintain some semblance of posture as you shamble toward the keep. You observe Deirdre run out the door. She starts instinctively running away perpendicular to your approach before she recognizes you, stopping mid-step to stare in a mixture of disgust and morbid curiosity. Good god, what the hell happened to you, she asks.

Moments later, you see the blacksmith dive out of the keep. Everything's shaking. You think something's collapsing within. This earthquake seems to be building in strength rapidly.

Thomas took a quick note to add checking for earthquake stability on his insurance inspections, and headed on his way.

Northward!  Toward... TBA?

[Walk The Trembling Earth: 2]

The road goes from shaky to violently trembling, bits of it rising and falling as you try to make progress. You head on nevertheless, only for your progress to be interrupted a mile out when a rather large crack opens in the ground ahead, layers of the earth peeling upward and back as it spreads out, filling rapidly with water as the river blasts into it from nearby. All the sensible animals, you notice, appear to be running in the opposite direction that you're going in.

Leif covers his mouth with hand and tries to speak.

"I probably should have asked this first, but do you happen know anything about that canyon other than the bottom being filled with oxygenated and highly explosive gas?"

((Whoopsie.))

WHAT, asks Lee. You said, do you know anything about the canyon beyond it being explosive? She still can't hear you. CANYON, you shout, WHAT'S ITS PROBLEM.

[Lore of the North: 6]

SEAM, she clarifies. OTHERWORLD BELOW. The explosions continue in the background, migrating on as you turn your backs to the incoming dust waves, pillars of blinding light exploding upward like lightning bolts from the shining sea now revealed.

I wave at the creature again. "Hello," I say loudly enough to be heard through a bit of water. "Do you speak?"

[Xenolinguistics: 5]

Its mouth dilates ever so slightly as it burbles in surprise. It speaks, you hear it pose quizzically as it tilts its head. You speak. But you are not from this side. Strange.

Are you a mermaid, it asks after a moment's thought, having no more rational explanation for this.

"In what way is it good luck? Especially if it's due to that thing I had a vision of earlier. Very bad news in that case. Just like the news that whatever my body is made of seems perfectly capable of running on autopilot and said autopilot's first instinct is to feed. Blame the rats for that, I suppose."
Keep talking. Oh, and stop it with that twitch-when-touched thing. I'm in control now. Just don't stop talking.

It's good luck, says Nately, because then it's clearly a good idea to get out while you still can! As the rumble intensifies, you fail to produce any belly laughs at this clever wordplay.

[Build Them Like They Used To: 1]

You hear something collapse in a hall to the side. The walls start to buckle and weave as the rumbling reaches a very much resonant frequency. Deirdre decides immediately to back the hell away into the courtyard.

[Unfortunate Architecture: 2]

At about this point a very exquisitely painted block from the ceiling lands straight on your head. You stumble forward, then to the side, your brain very palpably impacted, and fall to your knees as everything starts to shake wildly.

[Helpful Minions: 2]

Nately seems to very strongly consider helping you, but then the realization that he has a much lower tolerance for physical punishment than you do sinks in, and so he just follows in Deirdre's footsteps, diving out of the foyer as you try to get your bearings.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: September 18, 2016, 08:51:36 am »

((Well, I think that's the body count contest sorted.))

Okay, maybe the trip can wait a moment.

Seek cover, probably in the same direction the forest creatures are going.  Brace in a doorway?  That probably doesn't apply if you're already outside.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: September 18, 2016, 10:49:19 am »

Pah. I'm pretty sure I can't suffer any permanent internal damage. Best not to stick around, though.
Time to go. Out of the castle entirely if that looks practical, but getting away from the keep should be a good start.

((Hmm. Would it be a spoiler to ask if This Is The End would have happened anyway or if it was assumed one of us would set it off sooner or later?))
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 161