Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258023 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: To The Four Corners Of The World
« Reply #1575 on: September 13, 2016, 01:28:41 pm »

"Sorry. I'm not exactly used to this sort of thing."

Mentally shut up / clear my mind / stop 'nucleating' or whatever.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: September 13, 2016, 03:38:24 pm »

Okay I'm not sure about the local customs but I can probably guess the meaning behind the skull.

I hide near the edge of the lake and watch the building for a while to see if I can see someone enter/leave, or any sign of what's going on in there. I also look around the lake clearing to see if there are any paths or roads leading away from here.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: September 13, 2016, 03:39:00 pm »

When miner's guts tell him it's bad idea to stand on edge, miner does well to obey. Therefore Leif falls flat on his stomach, only carefully peering down.

Tear off biggest bush I can, set it on horrible APOCALYPTIC fire and throw down into the canyon. Hopefully it manages to tumble down all the way. Observe.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: September 13, 2016, 04:54:25 pm »

Thomas pondered the itch fleetingly.  Didn't that happen before?  Oh well.  It's probably best to just go; the lord seemed to have quite a bit on his mind.  No sense in dragging out goodbyes.  He'd just let a guard know if he saw one.  Time to go!

Time to start heading out.  Wasn't there a bridge going up?  It's time to start heading to the airport.

If a guard is passed, pass the word that the lord's problem is solved satisfactorily.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Tearing the Stitches of Reality
« Reply #1579 on: September 14, 2016, 04:19:07 am »

"I'll try, but I'll note that the thought is somewhat tied to my hand, I think. Leave that alone and you shouldn't be sliced apart too much."

Try to make the murder-thought hang around just outside the door for the duration of the operation. Then strip down (I don't want these clothes damaged just after I got them) and lie down on the slab. Deep breaths. Pain only exists in the mind.

[Leave Your Thoughts At The Door: 2]

You place your murder-thought outside, pointing it at a handy rock to try and destroy, then shut the door. As it burrows back in through the wood, you get the feeling it might not be all that easy to leave your own mental projection somewhere else. Oh well. You guess there's only so much you can do. Now it's time to get naked, lie back and try not to think of manslaughter. Lay your body down, forget about your troubles, hit the lights. The blindfold goes on. All is dark.

[Romancing the Stone: 1]

Rather predictably, the blacksmith starts on the other hand. Good god, that hurts. Pain is just an illusion, pain is just an illusion, pain is weakness leaving the body, oh good god almighty, pain is anything but this! You feel like a slab of meat as the bones in your other hand are crushed, ruined, hammer blows raining down up your arm, liquefying flesh, rubbing the nerves into stone, moving up to the shoulder joint. Somehow it hurts even more with each hit. You're not even sure how that's possible, but every moment comes with a new surprise.

[Blessed Agonies: 5]

Nevertheless, you hold on tight, remain still. Feel the pain, recognize it, internalize it. Pain becomes a fact, an unavoidable reality that you may as well get well acquainted with now. You concentrate on keeping your murder-thought completely still, using it to count the cracks in the stone foundation as it circles round the blacksmith doing his work. He moves along, hammering your chest now, shattering the spine, spilling the organs as he slices your skin with a number of sharp knives of varying sizes, grinding the ichor that remains into dust, then shoveling it back into vaguely human-shaped mounds methodically. He goes along the leg, the feeling of your kneecap shattering bothering you perhaps less than you would have thought now that your spine is completely ruined. The other leg gets the same treatment, and then the last arm. At this point even your injured hand doesn't feel more than a mite uncomfortable against the background of sheer displeasure you're experiencing, your entire body trembling weakly under the hammer as your glorious transformation into jellied gore nears completion.

You feel the hammer being raised once more, this time above your throat, but the blacksmith slows his hand so that the hot, gore-covered tip of it merely touches your Adam's apple. Your entire body twitches, and though you've clearly gone through a phase transition for the most part, it still all seems vaguely connected. But only vaguely. You don't think you can take any more, and the blacksmith seems to have noticed also. Ah, he says, are you ALL RIGHT there? You gurgle something back, not having the lungs to formulate a coherent reply.

The blindfold comes off. You dare not look at the rest of yourself.

WELL, the blacksmith says. Seems that reprogramming your substrate is going to be a little more DIFFICULT than anticipated. Though he, er, must CONGRATULATE you on your durability. The measure seems to have not steered him wrong as to your capacity to endure punishment! Mind over matter, as it were!

[Every Tear A Lesson Learned: 2]

You rise, not one bone beneath your neck left unshattered, your body mostly a bag of disjointed flesh. It doesn't hurt even slightly less than a few moments ago.

HM, says the blacksmith. The method needs work. A LOT of work! But such is the nature of experimentation! Some leads invariably don't pay off! Somehow this fails to reassure you.

"Sorry. I'm not exactly used to this sort of thing."

Mentally shut up / clear my mind / stop 'nucleating' or whatever.

[Your Nuclei Are Showing: 6]

You stare ahead, emptying your mind. The room starts to darken as you see, hear and feel, but decreasing amounts of sensation lead to perception. You sense the hand of the child on your head as she sees what you're doing, and your feeling suddenly meets a precipice - into the abyss it tumbles, and senselessness ensues.

[Mischief In The Dark: 1]

You awaken some time later to an empty room, the minders having gone somewhere. How rude. You try the door. It does not open. Or rather it does, but not more than about half an inch, something very heavy, perhaps seven or even eight separate pieces of furniture judging by the sound, having been moved in front of it. You notice the window has been broken as well. How very strange.

Okay I'm not sure about the local customs but I can probably guess the meaning behind the skull.

I hide near the edge of the lake and watch the building for a while to see if I can see someone enter/leave, or any sign of what's going on in there. I also look around the lake clearing to see if there are any paths or roads leading away from here.

[Strange Comings And Goings: 6]

As the sun continues to climb higher in the sky, the green water of the lake becomes more and more reflective, the warm and sunny day reaching all the way down even here. You look on until you spot a reflection in the calm, still water, a murky shadow on the opposite coast, built like a bear with longer forelegs - or, rather, longer arms as you look closer, the shadow growing more humanoid as it steps closer to the edge in an ungainly fashion, a sizable net you'd think would be used more for butterflies than fish dragging behind it. The waters start to wave a little as fish grow agitated, some of them jumping upward out of the water.

You notice that there is no equivalent figure to the shadow in the same spot on the coast, the reflection moving with a life of its own as its net meets water and emerges on this side, catching one of the larger fish with intriguing deftness and pulling it back into the other side.

[Fisher's Eye: 3 vs. 3]

As you gaze into the reflection, the reflection gazes also into you, and gazes for a good long moment, leaning in with its eyes remaining invisible and tilting its head. As it makes out your shape, you hear a muffled burble emanate from the water, its disproportionate arm rising in a wave with a surprising lack of hostility in it.

When miner's guts tell him it's bad idea to stand on edge, miner does well to obey. Therefore Leif falls flat on his stomach, only carefully peering down.

Tear off biggest bush I can, set it on horrible APOCALYPTIC fire and throw down into the canyon. Hopefully it manages to tumble down all the way. Observe.

[I Have The Shrubbery: 4]

You head a few steps back, and soon an opportunity presents itself. Emitting your best viking death growl (Bathory would be proud!) you pull a smaller shrub right out of the ground, lifting it triumphantly above your head as you scream your Word of power!

APOCALYPSE

[Word: 6]

It bursts into a terrible flame above your head, and in the heat of the moment you leap upward like some kind of magically enhanced Torgeir Bryn and slam dunk the bush into the canyon. It skips along the side, punctuating every skip with a boom no doubt heard for miles around, rocks scattering as they are set aflame, sandstone and gneiss set aflame as if they were anthracite, and about halfway down it settles into a burning roll, leaving a brightly flaming trail in its wake before tumbling twice more, three dots and three dashes of flame leaving an SOS to the gods themselves before into the black separating line it tumbles and sinks, its white-hot flame dancing in the blackness briefly.

[This Is The End: 1]

It doesn't seem to be water, that much is clear. You don't think water tends to be very explosive for the most part, for not five seconds pass as you hear a violent explosion emanate from where the bush landed, a little bit of the canyon side crumbling and falling down into it as the line starts to glow bright and spread. You step a short distance back as the ground starts to shake. Huh. You're not really sure if that's how fault lines are supposed to work - you've never really done much hydraulic fracking, being a gold mining man at heart. But you think you've definitely upset something with that maneuver!

Thomas pondered the itch fleetingly.  Didn't that happen before?  Oh well.  It's probably best to just go; the lord seemed to have quite a bit on his mind.  No sense in dragging out goodbyes.  He'd just let a guard know if he saw one.  Time to go!

Time to start heading out.  Wasn't there a bridge going up?  It's time to start heading to the airport.

If a guard is passed, pass the word that the lord's problem is solved satisfactorily.

You do head on over to the bridge outside, helpfully informing the rather large concentration of guards over there that they can tell the lord you've successfully helped him with his mother troubles. Excellent, says the royal guard commander overseeing the operations. What do you think of her new bridge, she asks, pointing at the rather wide construction of rope and boards her cadre of guards in varying states of undress have almost completed over the river, securing the last few boards at the moment. Insurable or not, she asks with a genial smile.

Spirits seem high around here. You see a few guards greedily eating some leftover rations from the war camp, and laughter comes from left, right and center as the guards are abuzz with ideas of plunder and raiding, but most of all being out of this goddamn castle at last. Most of them seem to scarcely believe it.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: September 14, 2016, 04:56:09 am »

"Uh... Jörð, is that you? Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up." Please don't be Níðhöggr or Fafnir... Definitely not Hel.

On one hand that's a good sign for Lee to follow, but one the another underground explosions are really bad.

Let's, like, run away? Like, real quick. Maybe in direction of the camp?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: September 14, 2016, 05:31:26 am »

Daniels is grinning in a manner quite similar to a chimpanzee. It's an unpleasant expression at best on a normal human face, let alone someone like him, but he's not feeling particularly endeared to the concept of friendliness right about now.

"I am going to lay down and recover from the damage you did to me. In the meantime I want you to go to the keep and find out if there are any stoatmen there. Then come back and inform me, and I will use it to give you the knowledge necessary to modify me without subjecting me to such agony that it is only my refined hate that keeps my thought from flensing your individual muscle fibers apart. You understand my words? Good. This will end well for both of us if you do as I say."

His speech is likely not intelligible, but he makes the effort nonetheless.

Lay down. Is there a bed here? If so lay down in bed. If not, lay down on nearest thing I can lay down on. Recover.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:33:33 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: September 14, 2016, 07:11:35 am »

Well that's not what I expected.

I approach the lake cautiously and wave back to the figure.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: September 14, 2016, 11:40:18 am »

"... It's happened again, hasn't it. And without Chaos this time. Shit."

One REVELATION of what exactly just happened, please. Probably shouldn't be using Words given that Grim Prophecy, but this is important. Can't keep losing control like that. I wasn't even capable of thinking this time.

((I do have the highest current body count now, though, and I'm not even trying. Try to keep up, guys.))
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:47:40 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: September 14, 2016, 03:55:46 pm »

((I do have the highest current body count now, though, and I'm not even trying. Try to keep up, guys.))

((Trying hard hardly trying.))
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: September 14, 2016, 07:17:55 pm »

((Thomas has two, and that first one hardly counts!  Not his fault he missed the catch.))

"I don't believe rope bridges can be, but I am sure the permanent one that will follow will be insurable.  Well built and completely up to code, no doubt.  Well done.  On a side note, have any of you been north past the end of the road?  Where the airport... um, place that metal dragons land and carry people is?  I am headed that way."

Appraise.  Inquire.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: September 14, 2016, 07:26:11 pm »

((Hey, I've actively been trying not to kill people! D'you know how hard it's been not to try and murder everyone who pisses Jack off? More so than you'd think for an ostensibly psychologically normal human.
Oh right, he's been slowly going mad with power over the course of the game.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: September 14, 2016, 09:45:15 pm »

((I'm pretty sure I've killed more things than anyone else. Just not very many humans.))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: September 14, 2016, 11:52:53 pm »

((Technically Derm has highest body count. Shared with his sun moon buddy.))
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: September 15, 2016, 06:55:34 am »

"Uh... Jörð, is that you? Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up." Please don't be Níðhöggr or Fafnir... Definitely not Hel.

On one hand that's a good sign for Lee to follow, but one the another underground explosions are really bad.

Let's, like, run away? Like, real quick. Maybe in direction of the camp?

A sound plan! And hey, there's Lee coming toward you as the earth stops messing around and begins to properly shake!

[Visit From The Stork: 2]

She sprints your way and, as you near each other, she asks the obvious question: WHAT DID YOU DO? The look of panic on her face is something else entirely. WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO, she asks again when you're face-to-face, the sound of rising and multiplying explosions from the canyon merging into a horrible roar as they blend into one another in a cascading furious conflagration.

[Resonance Cascade: 3]

The canyon glows brightly now, little glowing cracks spreading along the shrubland from its edges. What, you say, you said you were going to do some apocalyptic fire. And there's your apocalyptic fire! Lee looks on in horror at the continuing explosions, and you see the Storks in the camp start quickly gathering their tents as the light, sound and fury creep toward them at a geometric, though still manageable pace. The lookout on the pole seems to have long left his post, and warriors guide their masked wards away from the canyon as a hurried evacuation starts to take place.

Daniels is grinning in a manner quite similar to a chimpanzee. It's an unpleasant expression at best on a normal human face, let alone someone like him, but he's not feeling particularly endeared to the concept of friendliness right about now.

"I am going to lay down and recover from the damage you did to me. In the meantime I want you to go to the keep and find out if there are any stoatmen there. Then come back and inform me, and I will use it to give you the knowledge necessary to modify me without subjecting me to such agony that it is only my refined hate that keeps my thought from flensing your individual muscle fibers apart. You understand my words? Good. This will end well for both of us if you do as I say."

His speech is likely not intelligible, but he makes the effort nonetheless.

Lay down. Is there a bed here? If so lay down in bed. If not, lay down on nearest thing I can lay down on. Recover.

[Sinister Gurgling: 2]

WELL, says the blacksmith, clearly not having understood a goddamn word you just attempted to say despite putting in his very best effort to listen, he supposes you could use a rest now, yes? His bed is over THERE, he points at a slightly less filthy corner than you remember last time you paid attention to such things. You can go ahead and sleep there! He intends to be leaving in a short while anyway, you see. Just have to find Mr. Wilde, and work more on the THEORIES! Sweet, lovely theories.

Before you can gurgle more at him like a vengeful zombie he decides to quickly wipe some of his tools on a bit of cloth, then wrap them up in his bloodstained apron, which he takes under his arm. There! Ready for travel, pretty much. He observes a moment as you worm your way off the slab, skin and meat dragging along the ground, leaving thick trails of red as you clamber into his former ragged bedding. Good luck with your recovery, he shouts encouragingly as you start to leak from all of your bits into the bedroll. And his SINCEREST APOLOGIES for the setback!

And with that, he's gone, and you manage the apelike grin on your face for an hour longer as you stew in agony and misery on the floor, staring at the ceiling as you decide, after running out of cracks to count, to settle for making new ones with your murder-thought. Your bones fail to knit themselves back together, but you do scab, your jelly-like consistency developing a thick enough outer skin that you feel confident you won't just fall to pieces if you attempt to get up.

Well that's not what I expected.

I approach the lake cautiously and wave back to the figure.

The figure puts its net away a second, casting a clumsy look around its reflected shoreline, then jumps - downward, in your perspective, its enormous, long-armed shape spreading out as it seems to swim through the air, its fingers webbed, powerful and very long, closing together as it thrusts its arms forward, then spreading as it propels itself along the reflection, floating closer to the water, struggling to stay deeper down as it is pulled toward the surface. It points toward the mound of sticks, then starts swimming toward the primitive building, seemingly quite eager to meet you for a closer look.

"... It's happened again, hasn't it. And without Chaos this time. Shit."

One REVELATION of what exactly just happened, please. Probably shouldn't be using Words given that Grim Prophecy, but this is important. Can't keep losing control like that. I wasn't even capable of thinking this time.

They say some truths are too horrible to contemplate. But how would you know if this is one of them without finding out the contents first?

REVELATION

[Word: 1]

You do not see the reality. But you do feel it, your substrate springing to life with your mind's implicit permission. It can demonstrate. It will demonstrate. Material is needed, however. You feel a pull as your center of mass is pulled forward, your arms flailing, lengthening, legs searching for support, your mouth opening wider than you would think physically possible, and you feel yourself unfold with a thousand mouths as a hunger for material to innovate with presents itself.

[The Means Present: 5]

The door! You wrap your fingers around the hinges, the iron like chocolate in your hands, disappearing into your hungry fingers as you bend it, swallowing whole boards moments later, the bracing disappearing into your stomach, rivets and all. You stuff tables, chairs and barrels into yourself. It does not seem to matter. The barricade was no real obstacle, you realize, at least not when approached with a measure of thought. The metal feels foreign at first as you add it to yourself, but goes down within a short while. The wood? The wood feels downright delicious - organic, light, like a more ethical sort of bone. You wonder if you'd like to be made of wood briefly. You could be, you realize. If you tried, and studied, and made sure the rats agreed. You need-

You notice somebody running down the hallways as you finally eat up the last piece of barricade. The sound snaps you back to reality, the site of a humanoid figure reasserting your mind's better impulses. Ah! Right. You should, er, mind yourself, you suppose.

"I don't believe rope bridges can be, but I am sure the permanent one that will follow will be insurable.  Well built and completely up to code, no doubt.  Well done.  On a side note, have any of you been north past the end of the road?  Where the airport... um, place that metal dragons land and carry people is?  I am headed that way."

Appraise.  Inquire.

[Pleasant Conversation: 1]

Oh, they won't need a permanent one, the commander says. That would imply they were intending to go back.

As for northward, that was where she was intending to go, actually, along with all of the royal guards. The queen is a little reluctant, the commander relates, watching the last few boards being put up. But that's mostly because of certain hearsay. For one, the dragons are-

Alarm suddenly flares in your mind, and the commander as well as about ten of the nearby guards looks in the opposite direction immediately. You notice the minder girl floating rather rapidly, though still going through the trouble of moving her feet as quickly as possible, to no apparent effect. Seems she's quite distressed. He ate them! And then he was gonna eat her!

You also become aware of a much slower-moving procession of some of her commonly attending children, trailing the minder girl at a long distance mostly due to there being only so much distance they can cover on their tiny legs. Some trip and tumble through the mud, another child invariably tripping over them before both get up again, scrambling in your direction.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 161