Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258438 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Knights of the Far Beyond
« Reply #1320 on: July 15, 2016, 10:18:50 pm »

Hmmm... that... no.  No, that's just silly.  Just a trick of the light.  "Come on now, we're not getting any closer here."

Steadfastly ignore the special effects and get on toward the town, like we're supposed to be.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: July 16, 2016, 08:05:00 am »

"The stoat's already made a run for it, so let me rephrase that question: do you have any objection to the (probably crazy) woman holding a sword to your throat leaving here and never bothering you again?"
This is one thing I have no objection to following Minett's lead on.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: July 16, 2016, 11:26:49 am »

Daniels sighs impatiently.

"Yes okay fine now go do guard things somewhere else. Don't worry, I'll be out of here soon."

Stare malevolently at the guard until he goes away, then engage in that strangulation I was thinking of. Not enough to kill, just to weaken him enough for the absorption thing.

[Mystic Eyes of Death Anticipation: 6]

Your murder-thought scans the surface of the guard, trailing along his silhouette, engraving his shadow into the wall behind him, chips of stone falling down behind him as you give your very best death glare. The air starts to grow thick as the guard shrinks away.

Uh, he says, you... er, you really shouldn't... actually you know something, he just remembered he left a pot boiling. Yeah. He almost begins to walk, but starts to sprint instead. Right, where were you.

[Struggling Together: 1 vs. 4+1]

Oh right, strangulation of this feebly struggling guy. Shouldn't be too difficult.

[Safe Strangling Practices: 5+1]

Right, you've got time, so you make sure to carefully apply a slight blood choke. Enough to render the man quite unconscious within about half a minute with only minimal risk of death! Not quite a nerve pinch or anything, but near enough to it for this particular application. And with that done, you decide to let the dark have a go as well.

[Insights In The Murk: 1]

Whatever happens next as you straddle the body of the fellow is somewhat unclear. You suspect memory fuckery at work. Point is, some unspecified amount of time later he's not quite around anymore. Well, he's sort of around, you guess. You keep getting this weird feeling he's right out of sight, but when you turn to look, the man's not there. You... guess that worked?

"But trade is lifeline of any civilization! It's like the force that keeps world rotating or something. When guys in castle break out the siege there's definitely work to do for a mechant. Especially for resourceful man like yourself."

Encourage. Carefully deposit my backpack down. Practice that levitation thing while they are talking.

There's the problem, says the man. Time was when he'd have been immensely happy for the opportunity to make filthy loads of money profiteering off extremely unlikely events, but not only is the possibility of the siege being broken quite miserably remote, he's also somewhat lost taste for all the buying and selling business. Turns out hurting people was what his actual talent in life was. Strange thing to discover at age 40, let him tell you.

What of the stoatmen, asks Lee. Trade possibilities? The man laughs. That's the other thing, yes. They're rather big fans of collective property. Part of why the man had so much free time to spend on his hobby-turned-occupation. All trade goes through the trade secretary. And the stoats still haven't quite relinquished their ghetto favor-based economy, which is quite dismal indeed if you're not a stoatman yourself and live in Anglefork.

Lee continues to ask short questions about the specifics, and when the talk starts to veer into food supplies your eyes glaze over sufficiently to start considering other things to do. Like levitating! You had a trick in mind already.

[Out of Sight, Out of Mind: 4]

As Lee continues to probe into matters about the fur trade, wine production, metalworking and Odin even knows what else you lounge on the branch of a nearby tree, about 20 meters up from the ground. You pop over abstractly to a nearby treetop. You hop above the woods and turn once around to survey the area. It's reasonably informative, even if most of the place is quite heavily wooded. You land a little sharply, and both of your companions look at you. What was that, Lee asks. What was what, you reply. There was a most unique sound, says your backpack. As if the underbrush was struck with the force of a meteor. Very strange to say the least.

"They won't let the stoat leave. He'll be imprisoned and killed before long. It doesn't take much for these guys to want to brutally sacrifice a stoatman."

"Actually..." I say, making eye contact with the guardswoman. "Would you let me take him and leave peacefully? You heard what Wilde said, I've done a lot to defend the city today. Let me spare a life."

Oh, what? You think the people in the castle are the bad guys here? Not too much to sacrifice a person? Yeah! Only took a breakout from prison and an assassination attempt on the bloody queen! You get the sense that the guard's feeling rather personally offended at this.

[The Struggle Continues: 4 vs. 4]

She does seem about to try something, but you edging the sword that much closer to her throat dissuades her from this foolish course of action. Right, you say, how about it? She gonna let you leave or what?

For a moment she seems very puzzled. Yeah, she says. She... wasn't actually gonna stop you from leaving to begin with, to be perfectly honest. It's just that taking a stoatman prisoner to interrogate about the state of Anglefork Town and also to prevent it from sending out an alarm to the town would have been pretty nice, all things considered. But hey, if your heart's all a-bleeding for a pack of genocidal lunatics, go for it. Just don't expect not to be the first to hang when the speakers get their hands on you.

Besides, damn thing's already running away if other guy's not lying or something. So not like she can stop the stoatman leaving.

[Making A Break For It: 4]

Of course, maybe someone else'll catch it on the way. Can always hope, right?

Hmmm... that... no.  No, that's just silly.  Just a trick of the light.  "Come on now, we're not getting any closer here."

Steadfastly ignore the special effects and get on toward the town, like we're supposed to be.

The Worm-knight nods. Something very off here. She'll make sure to include it in the report. The guard, meanwhile, says that the wall crews already know about it - it's where the shiny gentleman from the chapel made his mark, you see. Glassed the place right over!

You shrug off the guard's explanation, which he seems to be about to launch into more of, and head toward Anglefork Town.

[A Trouble-Free Experience: 3]

The town looks less than idyllic as the woods begin to clear after some twenty minutes of walking - a third of it appears to have burnt down, and the streets look quite empty from about a mile away, or at least what remains of them does.

What you do notice, however, is patrols. Limber, barely armored stoatmen with spears scouring the surrounding area nervously, not many in number - you think you see two groups of four on either side of the town right now, but they do appear to be in something of a hurry. You suppose there's been some troubling business about or some such.

"The stoat's already made a run for it, so let me rephrase that question: do you have any objection to the (probably crazy) woman holding a sword to your throat leaving here and never bothering you again?"
This is one thing I have no objection to following Minett's lead on.

At this point she really wouldn't mind if both of you just went and fucked off so she can get back to the looting, yeah.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 16, 2016, 11:54:48 am »

"That worked out nicely. Now then, to answers."

Go to the shrine! The well access point bit, rather.

((I gotta say, I love the detail and imagination you put into the supernatural things in your games.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: July 16, 2016, 12:09:12 pm »

"Say what?" I look over my shoulder. "I'm sorry for bothering you." I run after the stoat.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: July 16, 2016, 01:00:57 pm »

"Oh, Minett, one last thing - all our magic seems to have badly messed up something beneath the castle, so if you could lay off the Words till you're some distance away that'd be good. Especially since I'm going to check it out and would really rather it didn't blow up in my face or something. In any case, good luck out there; I probably won't see you again."
Help the guard up and give her her spear back.
"Sorry about - well, my sister I guess. She can get like that sometimes."
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 16, 2016, 01:07:10 pm »

"Err, I... my landing sucked a bit, but that shouldn't make much of noise. What? I was levitating. Don't look me like that, I was definitely up there!"

Resist temptation of imaginary alcoholic beverages. If they keep looking at me like that I might relapse. Are we ready to continue?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 17, 2016, 04:22:23 pm »

((I gotta say, I love the detail and imagination you put into the supernatural things in your games.))

((I concur.  And the characterization.))

Hmmm...

"Hmmm... well, you two are the professionals at this.  What do you think?  Just go ask the stout fellows what they are up to?"

Ask for advice; offer bad suggestion.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: July 18, 2016, 01:44:23 pm »

"That worked out nicely. Now then, to answers."

Go to the shrine! The well access point bit, rather.

Whistling innocently as you leave this supernatural crime scene you walk out of the keep, which seems to be coming alive at this point with people moving around again, packing things, preparing various arrangements for their inevitable departure and so forth, and head back out into the shrine, where your old friend awaits.

You sense the poor servant you absorb at the edge of your vision. He seems to be retreating as you approach, tripping over non-space as he feels a distinct nip at his very being even at a considerable distance. It is an unenviable feeling, knowing oneself to be food.

"Say what?" I look over my shoulder. "I'm sorry for bothering you." I run after the stoat.

You look to see the stoatman making a break for the river. Oh crap. You better get him.

[Fortuitous Interception: 5 vs. 6]

You rush his way. He looks at you. You see him panic, and he jumps straight into the river, spine bending like that of an eel as he dives into the deep. You somewhat hope he doesn't drown before you can catch up to him.

[Unleash The Eel: 5]

You see him surface momentarily despite his armor, rising to the top as he paddles downstream for dear life, the raging stream carrying him at frankly dazzling speed toward the distant Anglefork Town. You might still be able to catch up to him, you think as you stand by the shoreline, but it'd probably require you jumping into the drink as well.

"Oh, Minett, one last thing - all our magic seems to have badly messed up something beneath the castle, so if you could lay off the Words till you're some distance away that'd be good. Especially since I'm going to check it out and would really rather it didn't blow up in my face or something. In any case, good luck out there; I probably won't see you again."
Help the guard up and give her her spear back.
"Sorry about - well, my sister I guess. She can get like that sometimes."

You're not sure she heard you. In fact, you're pretty certain she didn't, as people don't tend to listen to much when they're sprinting away from you at top speed. She stops over by the shoreline some distance away. You suppose you can catch her up on paranormal business later.

For now you just give the guard a hand as you get her up to her feet and return her spear. She still seems considerably displeased with this state of affairs. Will need to make a report, she says. Probably lost the element of surprise on the town if that stoat manages to warn them. Shame.

"Err, I... my landing sucked a bit, but that shouldn't make much of noise. What? I was levitating. Don't look me like that, I was definitely up there!"

Resist temptation of imaginary alcoholic beverages. If they keep looking at me like that I might relapse. Are we ready to continue?

Levitating, says your backpack. Ah, yes, minder tricks. Lee nods. Minder tricks indeed. A pause sets in as both of them glance at you, completely thrown off their conversation by the noise.

Lee looks over at your backpack for a second, then to you again. She supposes this will be enough information. The important things have been established. The rest is merely haggling and annual variations in demand, to which your backpack says that there's a subtle art to one and a great deal of rhythm and intensity to the other. Lee raises an eyebrow, then looks to you. Anyway, this will be enough. The purpose is served. After this, a return is in order. But after a rest, most probably. Need to find a good spot.

[Local Lore: 5]

Ah, says your backpack, good spots he knows of! Many a one where a thief, a smuggler and even a murderer may rest after a night's work well done. He likes to use particular ones for each kind of business, you see. Or did, anyway. He foresees something of a dry spell for him in the near future in that regard.

Hmmm...

"Hmmm... well, you two are the professionals at this.  What do you think?  Just go ask the stout fellows what they are up to?"

Ask for advice; offer bad suggestion.

[Going For Broke: 4]

Absolutely not, says the Worm-knight. The whole point of scouting is to find out the enemy's positions without giving away yours, she tells you in a lecturing tone. Engagement of the townsfolk and especially the forces present is out of the question.

Unless, the guard suggests excitedly, you get ingenious disguises first. The resulting scowl from the Worm-knight's direction carries extraordinarily well through her helmet, you find.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 18, 2016, 01:52:37 pm »

"Sorry buddy, just bad luck on your part that you ran into me."

Enter the well point.

"I'll be quick here. This one source gets me two questions, right? Here they are: where is the blacksmith currently located? And is there a way to either repair my maimed hand or get another left hand without losing my murder-thought?"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:03:19 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 18, 2016, 01:53:32 pm »

Two questions, actually. A connection is just one.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: July 18, 2016, 01:56:07 pm »

Oh!

Well then. I shall think on the second.
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 18, 2016, 01:57:48 pm »

Damn it, he's probably going to alert the soldiers in town. I have to convince him not to start more fighting.

I jump in the river after him. The current doesn't seem too dangerous.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:01:14 pm by penguinofhonor »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 18, 2016, 03:07:02 pm »

"I wonder what we count as. Definitely two accounts of murder, no wait, four. Smuggling... probably no. Thief yes. We stole you from stoats and I kinda stole Lee from them too, back at the siege camp. Let's go with murderers. So point us at one, would you? Once we get there I could try heal you. And when I say try, I also mean it. It could end with you dying fast, dying slow, me losing my limbs or you being only partially healed. Do you want to take the risk?"

One murderer's hideout, please! Afterwards, if the backpack is willing to take the risk and we make it, try some INEVITABLE healing because time heals all wounds.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 18, 2016, 08:12:48 pm »

"Um... right.  While traipsing around in disguises sounds fun, perhaps we should just look around first."

Scouty scout scout
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 161