Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258686 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Unlocking Potential
« Reply #1170 on: June 17, 2016, 03:16:41 pm »

"...Wilde got to him, huh. I will have to have words with him. Probably of the unpleasant variety.

My thanks for the answers, well. I admit I had you pegged wrong before, thinking you were some sort of exploitative extradimensional fiend. Now I see you're merely overly literal due to a different perspective. More business can likely be had between us now that I understand this. Now for my fulfilment.

Ahem.

'I desire the ability to absorb connections and sources and transplant them wherever I so wish as we discussed in my first question. The mastery of actually performing this technique so as to increase efficiency would be appreciated but is not strictly necessary.'"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: June 17, 2016, 03:35:08 pm »

Well, I'm probably not unconscious per se as I'm capable of thinking I'm unconscious. Cogito ergo sum. At least I know that what happened apparantly involves that infernal chaos of Ms. Minett - perhaps some order is required.
Well, let's start visualising. An ionic lattice, perhaps? A perfect crystal at 0K, even?
It might not work, but it'll give me something to do until this unfortunate condition abates, at least.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: June 17, 2016, 05:20:01 pm »

Tulips!  Just like Rose, Mr. Munderley's secretary, would bring in on occasion.  Very nice.

Wait, wasn't there a fight going on?

Can we get back to the fight, please?  It was starting to get enjoyable.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: June 18, 2016, 03:33:29 am »

"By Thor's mighty hammer, that was nice interference! You see, she accidentally gained control over my limbs and made me dance like a fool. I wouldn't mind if she can't do it again. Ahm, let's skedaddle somewhere safer now?"

Now, finally steal the spear and follow Lee's lead. After moment of "peace" ask if she wants the spear. Because it was technically she who dealt with the stoat.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: June 19, 2016, 04:52:37 am »

Gray. Stoat. Gray. Stoat.

With however much of my mind I have control over, I try to focus this violence on a specific target.

[Grasping Tendrils: 2]

You try to find your way around the area, but you can't see anything. Not really. It is as if a nigh-impenetrable mist is obscuring your sight. You swing around and fly through the courtyard, still unable to stop. You can only hope you ram into your target by sheer luck, you fear, unless you find some way to direct yourself.

"...Wilde got to him, huh. I will have to have words with him. Probably of the unpleasant variety.

My thanks for the answers, well. I admit I had you pegged wrong before, thinking you were some sort of exploitative extradimensional fiend. Now I see you're merely overly literal due to a different perspective. More business can likely be had between us now that I understand this. Now for my fulfilment.

Ahem.

'I desire the ability to absorb connections and sources and transplant them wherever I so wish as we discussed in my first question. The mastery of actually performing this technique so as to increase efficiency would be appreciated but is not strictly necessary.'"

Apologies must also be offered for the previous unhelpfulness of answers provided. It was incorrectly assumed that your intent was to exploit your creator, when you were probably only acting from limited information. More cooperation in the future would meet with correspondingly good rewards.

Your fulfillment comes subtly, a kernel of hungry emptiness worming its way into your skull, settling somewhere between your childhood memories, almost unnoticeably taking its fill, then regurgitating it in a mildly different shape, using irrelevant information to keep it busy. A pulsing numbness builds within your forehead, taking a moment to get used to. Bring it near a source in a moment of vulnerability, and take a connection - or, if trusted completely or utterly helpless, take the whole of their being. Use the same method to swap a connection with one stored, or swap one source with another. Touch your forehead, close your eyes and set your mind to the task to bring a source out from your own self. You may store six connections and three sources.

And if you are interested in more incentives, vary what you bring here. Of interest currently are unintegrated clanfolk, stoatmen and humans of El. Each source will give you the special rate you took advantage of now. Other sources will give two answers each, being of lesser interest. Connections of all kinds will grant one answer each.

Well, I'm probably not unconscious per se as I'm capable of thinking I'm unconscious. Cogito ergo sum. At least I know that what happened apparantly involves that infernal chaos of Ms. Minett - perhaps some order is required.
Well, let's start visualising. An ionic lattice, perhaps? A perfect crystal at 0K, even?
It might not work, but it'll give me something to do until this unfortunate condition abates, at least.

[Imposing Order: 2]

The trouble with visualization, you discover, is that whatever it's supposed to help you with is really quite vague. Is it a meditation exercise? Are you trying to ascertain if your spirit animal is actually sodium chloride? Are you, like many gurus before you, applying crystals to a problem in hopes that the situation will improve?

It is a mystery, of course. Just like it's something of a mystery why you feel like you are repeatedly smacking into an object of stone in an ineffectual manner.

Tulips!  Just like Rose, Mr. Munderley's secretary, would bring in on occasion.  Very nice.

Wait, wasn't there a fight going on?

Can we get back to the fight, please?  It was starting to get enjoyable.

[Focus, Dammit: 5]

Fighting! This seems to speak to you somehow. You repeat the request. Fight! Duel! Yes! Fighting is something you feel very capable of doing. And you feel that this idea is taken under very strong advisement. The stout fellow, you specify. This sows a little bit of confusion. Yes, the gray one, you add insistently. Not any other ones. Hm.

You feel sight abruptly return to you. You're still in the courtyard. And there's some... er, giant clawed masses of limbs and teeth bouncing around? You don't know what those are about. And then there's the stout fellow, who seems to be standing very still. The whole scene looks rather weird, really, with the courtyard looking that much smaller (just like the stout person, in fact, who you seem to be towering over presently, very odd).

Anyway, you decide, the gray fellow's the one you meant. The one right over there. You rumble inwardly at the clarity of the instruction.

[Interruption: 3 vs. 6]

However, before that you hear a rather well-enunciated order to

CLEANSE FLESH

[Words: 6+1]

The stout fellow vibrates and bubbles a little, thinning noticeably as you bear down on him, turning slowly to face toward you. He seems a little surprised. But altogether more ready than moments ago.

[Wave of Flesh and Blades: 3 vs. 2]

You move detachedly, giving orders rather than getting feedback, and you think what you observe is kind of a mixture between smashing into the poor man and trampling him underfoot, the liquid sword swinging over one's head as one is rather furiously stepped on with reckless abandon. You sail right over one's form and rebound off a wall, bouncing over the courtyard in a manner best described as somewhat implausible.

"By Thor's mighty hammer, that was nice interference! You see, she accidentally gained control over my limbs and made me dance like a fool. I wouldn't mind if she can't do it again. Ahm, let's skedaddle somewhere safer now?"

Now, finally steal the spear and follow Lee's lead. After moment of "peace" ask if she wants the spear. Because it was technically she who dealt with the stoat.

[Quick Disarmament: 3 vs. 5-1]

You go for the stoat guard's spear, but she dissuades you from this course of action with a surprisingly solid stab in the gut, being still very much alive and unwilling to let go of her only other advantage over you.

[Running Interference: 5+1 vs. 6-1]

Lee looks in the guard's direction as you reel back and moves in, driving her trusty knife into the woman's shoulder through the armpit a couple of times while the guard tries to fumble her spear to try and stab her. She struggles for a little longer before pain and blood loss get to her. Wasting no time as you recover, Lee handily removes the spearhead from the weapon and tosses you the shaft.

[Making A Run For It: 6+1]

You follow Lee as you weave through alleyways. She seems to be rather experienced in evasive maneuvers of this sort. And also apparently erring on the side of caution as you spend a good half hour evading what may or may not be pursuers until you're well clear of the town and, in fact, well clear of the outlying plantations and wineries as well, standing at the edge of the woods.

Hm, she thinks. Maybe you should start over. This went unexpectedly poorly.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hot Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:16:31 am by Harry Baldman »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: June 19, 2016, 06:20:54 am »

If sight won't guide me to the gray stoat, perhaps HUNGER will.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 19, 2016, 07:04:34 am »

A mystery indeed, though nothing a good revelation would solve. It'll be interesting to see if that'll even work under these circumstances.
It's worth a shot.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: June 19, 2016, 08:28:43 am »

Must have taken a bump to the head.  S'why the disorientation.

Roll back over and finish this.  I feel an advantage.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: June 19, 2016, 11:00:20 am »

"I would say so. I bet humans would be much easier to talk with. Or perhaps we could kidnap someone first and then interrogate them later in more safe and controlled enviroment? Talking about safe, what happened there when I wasn't looking?"

Recommend strategy.
Try my hand at this levitation thing.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 19, 2016, 09:27:08 pm »

"I'll certainly take note of that. Clanfolk, stoatmen, humans of El. Sounds good. Any fulfilments for any of those? Just curious."

Find out if I'll get any magic wishes for more sources/connections, and then wish the darkness a good day and exit.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 20, 2016, 02:15:51 pm »

If sight won't guide me to the gray stoat, perhaps HUNGER will.

The last time you tried something like this a stoatman got straight-up eaten, so why shouldn't it work a second time?

HUNGER

[Word: 1]

The answer to that question, it seems, is that the circumstances appear to be somewhat different. Namely, there are considerably easier targets within reach. Well, larger ones at least. Or so you reason. You're not quite sure what exactly happened just now. But you are fairly sure that from the way you appear to have lost all connection with senses of any kind you probably did it a little wrong. Or perhaps overly right?

It is a little relaxing not feeling how screwed you are, but a little unnerving as well to comprehend.

A mystery indeed, though nothing a good revelation would solve. It'll be interesting to see if that'll even work under these circumstances.
It's worth a shot.

If you can't make progress with muscle and mind, use magic. The winning strategy.

REVELATION

[Word: 2]

The dark space of anti-knowledge you presently inhabit does appear to become momentarily clearer in its all-encompassing lack of information, but by that same measure you can't say you feel terribly reassured.

You do get the vague sense that somebody is nearby, however. Somebody very hostile.

Must have taken a bump to the head.  S'why the disorientation.

Roll back over and finish this.  I feel an advantage.

[Rude Missile: 3]

You find yourself a little difficult to steer around once you've got a good bounce going. As you try to direct yourself along the courtyard away from all the other bouncing balls of twisting flesh, you find a little trouble in getting the correct angles, though to your credit you do eventually manage to get a reasonably good course going, at which point the stout fellow turns to you with some words of interest, same as before.

CLEANSE FLESH

[Words: 2+4]

Like the stern admonishment of a respected superior the words hit you fast and hard, and like the motivational abuse of a seasoned drill sergeant they introduce shape and top form, a cold feeling of relief and strength flooding back into you as your disorientation clears, and once again you are all the more identifiably you, standing in the courtyard facing your notable opponent.

Right, one is compelled to note, cracking one's own knuckles. That was a slight setback. But now you can get back to business, as it were. Particularly with the interruptions taken care of, one inclines one's head toward what appear to be two flying, very violently fighting masses of flesh launching limbs loaded with blades at one another. Or, rather, one seems to be trying to ward the other off, and the other one seems to be trying to engulf it. It's a fascinating sight, like two octopuses made of spikes and eyes trying to assert each other's dominance.

But yes, duel!

[Unknown Round: 2 vs. 4]

This time, though, the stout fellow does not use the sword at all. You swing the watery blade one's way, and one makes sure to be elsewhere when you do, changing position with steps executed in a flash, each dodge more spectacular than the last as you swing increasingly quickly, sprinting from one end to the courtyard to the other, the fellow giving ground in spades, but taking absolutely no hits. Up until you reach the wall, which is when the counter-strike is made, the force of a hundred knuckles meeting your chest and sending you rolling backward and into a nearby building, a trail of dust rising in your wake.

There, one says. Now the fight's begun in earnest!

"I would say so. I bet humans would be much easier to talk with. Or perhaps we could kidnap someone first and then interrogate them later in more safe and controlled enviroment? Talking about safe, what happened there when I wasn't looking?"

Recommend strategy.
Try my hand at this levitation thing.

Kidnapping works, says Lee. Especially of ordinary townsfolk. And what happened was an unlikely series of errors and happenings that led to her detection by a guardsman. A chase ensued.

That seems to be all the explanation you get on the matter, with Lee looking back toward the town with a thoughtful eye while saying nothing more, so you figure you'll try one more trick before maybe heading back in. Levitation! You did see a future where you did it. Maybe that's good enough.

[Tricks of the Mind: 6]

Flying's probably really easy, you think. A trick of the mind. You just need to forget that you can't do certain very important things, like fly or shoot lightning out of your eyes. It's no doubt extremely easy. And not just because you're a goddamn eldritch-enhanced genius, mind you. But because, when it comes down to it, you are simply better at everything than a 10-year-old girl. And any other answer is simply unacceptable. You must reach the heavens! And you must reach them now! Or at least that branch over there. You can almost feel it within your grasp already. Almost... almost...

What are you doing, asks Lee, and you feel yourself fall on your ass in a frankly embarrassing manner. From about four feet up. You turn to her. What were you doing, you ask pointedly. She replies that she wasn't sure. That's why she asked.

"I'll certainly take note of that. Clanfolk, stoatmen, humans of El. Sounds good. Any fulfilments for any of those? Just curious."

Find out if I'll get any magic wishes for more sources/connections, and then wish the darkness a good day and exit.

One fulfillment for sources of interest - clanfolk, stoatmen, humans of El. None for any others. After each of these is given, more specific targets can be proposed.

Thank you. Come again.

You raise yourself from the transformed altar, now much better acquainted with the secrets of heroism. Now you guess it's time for proper application, you think as you head for...

[Piercing Destiny: 1]

... you know, you get the sense that you should probably wait here a bit and make a plan first. It sounds like what's outside isn't for you.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 20, 2016, 02:38:56 pm »

"Every time I leave for five minutes they break reality, I swear. Probably that Minett lady with her hunger or chaos words again. You'd really think she'd learn not to overuse those. Or words in general, hell. Unpredictable things."

Take a quick peek outside. Determine what's going on, what's making that racket, and where the blacksmith's place is relative to me.
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 20, 2016, 03:30:35 pm »

fuck

Let's see what happens when I launch some explosive cysts like this! That should scare off anyone trying to mess with me, at least.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: June 20, 2016, 04:20:07 pm »

Brilliant. Mortal danger at just the right time.
Sensory input would be really nice right now, so concentrate as hard as possible on trying to receive some through this void. At least some should be making it through.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 20, 2016, 09:01:44 pm »

My, these effects really are something else-

"Ouch!  Goodness, that was a bit direct!  Maybe you're getting a bit excited with the show?

Let's turn the audience participation the other way; where he's getting hit this time.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 161