Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258671 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Destiny At The Gates
« Reply #1140 on: June 09, 2016, 11:55:49 pm »

Right. Let's forget earlier mistakes and rest while waiting for Lee's return. Wait, scratch that! I have better idea! Peek into various INEVITABLE futures, especially into one where I have learned spontaneous materialization. Bring it closer to present so I can skip the long learning process. Or learn what steps are required to learn the thing.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:26:45 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 10, 2016, 12:35:35 pm »

((So essentially five answers and a literal genie wish.

Ehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

I'll have to take some time to think about this, right now I'm not really able to concentrate to the amount I'd need to exploit this effectively.))

Still only four answers, but you get to ask eight questions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 10, 2016, 01:05:24 pm »

((...huh. This would be best enabled by asking two-parters then...
Gaaaaaah if I end up taking too long with this go ahead with the rest of the turn, I think I'll be here a while.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 10, 2016, 02:51:39 pm »

"Don't be an idiot. We've all got far better things to do, I'm sure, and the two of you couldn't seriously harm each other with those bits of wood if you try. Just drop it and talk out your differences later."

This is ridiculous.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 10, 2016, 07:36:16 pm »

"You face us at last, demon. Nothing else matters now, everything has been leading up to this moment. Life, death, everything is at stake here. Let it begin."

This is serious.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 07:40:34 pm by penguinofhonor »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 11, 2016, 05:06:59 am »

((Note:  I'm going out of town this weekend.  It shouldn't be too hard to follow this by phone, but I make no promises of perfect attendance.))

"Well, good sir stout fellow, what is it they say in the movies?  In guard?  I think that's it!"

Looks like there's no stopping the duel!

[Round One: 5 vs. 3]

As it usually is with a duel, the action begins with a wild sprint toward one another, swords oriented in a promisingly dangerous fashion, Ms. Minett setting the tone most adequately with a short monologue. You close the distance shortly enough, and once in melee range you step around your adversary, both of you swinging your swords with all your might for a dramatic first clash. The clonk of wood on wood rings out through the courtyard, little dents appearing on your swords from the impact. Locking your blades, you engage in a test of strength, one in which you seem remarkably evenly matched.

It's all terribly good fun, of course, until Mr. Wilde starts to rather impudently criticize your choice of conflict resolution methods, remarking on how it would really be all that much more preferable if you didn't go about all this frippery of fighting like proper men and instead did something as silly as try and talk this out. One can't help but sigh a little at this bewildering display of naivete, looking his way with clear disapproval. Talking is so inefficient, one has to say. It lacks that certain punch that good old fashioned ritualized violence provides. As a man of relative peace, you do see Mr. Wilde's point to some degree, of course, but one does put forward a convincing counterargument.

Pondering how to resolve this, you decide upon an empirical test and give one a solid smack to the head. The blade gives an admirable crack, the weight of it sinking most adequately into one's skull, and one is forced back a little. See, one points out to Mr. Wilde, superior conflict resolution. You punctuate the statement with a crash of the sword on one's back, sending him face-first into the ground, the demon-thing emitting a groan as its limbs momentarily detach from one another and its body flows back into an upright position. One turns to you, and with a simultaneous whip of all one's limbs. Now that that's settled, you can begin the fight in earnest. You agree in the best possible way, giving one another smack to the head, which seems to get to the heart of the matter most adequately.

Right. Let's forget earlier mistakes and rest while waiting for Lee's return. Wait, scratch that! I have better idea! Peek into various INEVITABLE futures, especially into one where I have learned spontaneous materialization. Bring it closer to present so I can skip the long learning process. Or learn what steps are required to learn the thing.

It does occur to you that with your bestowed talent with minding it probably is mostly a matter of time until you do learn pretty much everything that minding can bestow upon you. With this reasonable deduction you dive right into the great certainty of the

INEVITABLE

[Word: 5]

Spontaneous materialization, you realize, is something of a very distant thing for you. It would involve looking into the mind of an extremely talented minder (shame you left the only one you knew of to die in a dark pit) and watch how it is exactly that they manage to reject reality and shape it to limited degrees like a mindscape. There are many futures in which you learn these secrets. And the rest are the ones in which you die before you are able to. Quite beyond your reach at the moment, of course. First you'd have to learn something as simple as, say, levitation.

Wait. Levitation. That's technically a shaping of reality. And you do know somebody who can do it for sure. Quite a lot of futures where you see someone do that, and even get to look into their thoughts, and begin to understand. It is the key to the great leap you need to make, you feel. From there quite a few things would become far more obvious. Of course, quite a few futures exist in which you meet a levitating minder later rather than sooner. And even a few in which you never meet one at all.

Drawing back from this rather deep look into inevitable eventualities, you for a moment forget how far along you are in this. Still in Anglefork Town? Ugh. You've been over these starting sections so many times already.

"Don't be an idiot. We've all got far better things to do, I'm sure, and the two of you couldn't seriously harm each other with those bits of wood if you try. Just drop it and talk out your differences later."

This is ridiculous.

[Dramatic Discouragement: 5 vs. 2]

Unfortunately they seem a bit invested into this whole beating the shit out of each other thing, even if your argument does give them quite a bit of pause. It certainly seems to take the wind out of Ms. Minett's own attempts at setting the mood.

You see someone peek out of a door nearby, then poke their head back in. Was that your companion from before? Looked like her, you think.

"You face us at last, demon. Nothing else matters now, everything has been leading up to this moment. Life, death, everything is at stake here. Let it begin."

This is serious.

[Dramatic Encouragement: 2 vs. 5]

You have to say, you don't really appreciate being heckled by the likes of Mr. Wilde, even if indirectly. Really takes that whole heroic feeling out of the thing.

Of course, even if it doesn't feel quite as overwhelmingly significant anymore as it did at the start, you still get to watch two guys beat each other with sticks, and that's kind of okay. And Mr. Minstep does seem to be making a strong showing of it right now in the headshot department.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 11, 2016, 07:46:17 am »

Do I jump into the fight now? Mr. Minstep doesn't seem like he needs a lot of help. In fact, with a more dangerous weapon I feel like he could make short work of the thing. I just need to borrow some danger from elsewhere.

I point at Mr. Minstep's blade and say "Grant his sword the power of the SEA!"
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:49:45 am by penguinofhonor »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 11, 2016, 09:10:22 am »

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own. A great way to put it, I think.

Sleep my drunkenness and wounds off. It's great I won't have hangover after this.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 11, 2016, 02:02:32 pm »

"Very well, duke it out if you want. Let's just leave them to it, then, Ms. Minett. It would certainly be extremely discourteous to interfere, wouldn't you say?"

Note which door the girl's behind for future reference and then heckle Ms. Minett a bit more.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 11, 2016, 04:27:22 pm »

Thomas panted a bit as he reveled in the exertion. This was becoming quite the interesting show! He hadn't expected this much audience participation, really.

"Well met, sir! This is quite exciting!"

Press the advantage!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: June 13, 2016, 05:08:52 am »

Do I jump into the fight now? Mr. Minstep doesn't seem like he needs a lot of help. In fact, with a more dangerous weapon I feel like he could make short work of the thing. I just need to borrow some danger from elsewhere.

I point at Mr. Minstep's blade and say "Grant his sword the power of the SEA!"

Mr. Wilde doesn't seem terribly impressed with your idea of interfering in this duel, to which you would normally have a good retort, but instead you choose to invoke the

SEA

[Word: 5]

The word goes into Mr. Minstep's sword mid-swing, and the blade becomes... unusual. Fluid. Seemingly liquid, selectively solid. Humble in appearance. And yet it cleaves flesh with ease, pouring generous and extraordinarily painful salt into wounds. Mr. Minstep swings it with oblivious ease, carving great chunks of the demon right off as he presses the advantage. Losing an arm and a leg, the creature hisses as it hops back, new limbs sprouting from its stumps and inflating with stolen flesh.

One can't help but feel that you've given it some measure of license for what is about to occur, an ominous thought that is quite unlikely to be your own.

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own. A great way to put it, I think.

Sleep my drunkenness and wounds off. It's great I won't have hangover after this.

You figure you'll settle in for a bit more of a nap. This isn't the worst place you've tried to do such a thing in. There is an art to sleeping in an alleyway, one you can certainly say you've nearly mastered.

But even you could not have predicted how extraordinarily well this particular nap works out. You wake up with what you can best describe as the opposite of a hangover. Is this what being an early riser feels like? Huh.

You don't get to appreciate this heightened state of consciousness, however, as you notice Lee run past the alleyway, giving you a whistle of alarm before sprinting away. Soon after a spear-wielding guard runs right after her, shouting for her to stop right there.

"Very well, duke it out if you want. Let's just leave them to it, then, Ms. Minett. It would certainly be extremely discourteous to interfere, wouldn't you say?"

Note which door the girl's behind for future reference and then heckle Ms. Minett a bit more.

You kind of already did note which door she was behind, but you make sure to mentally underline the fact for safety's sake. Then you notice Ms. Minett try to actually interfere in this duel, and you have some words for her about this. Unfortunately, she happens to have a Word in return.

SEA

You notice Mr. Minstep's blade go liquid and rather amazingly sharp, a fact that renders it superbly advantageous against your average practice blade as you can observe momentarily when one is deprived of two whole limbs before withdrawing from immediate range with a movement best described as effortlessly supernatural. One then proceeds to regrow the lost limbs and rethink its strategy with an ominously blank expression.

Thomas panted a bit as he reveled in the exertion. This was becoming quite the interesting show! He hadn't expected this much audience participation, really.

"Well met, sir! This is quite exciting!"

Press the advantage!

One agrees with your assessment. It is really very excellent when one can resolve their issues in such an elegant fashion. You both resolve to provide a good showing in this second round of glorious melee. Well, at least until you hear the call of the

SEA

It seeps into your practice sword, focused to perfection, and the wood becomes liquid and unnaturally sharp mid-swing. One tries to block your strike in a futile effort as the blade parts and reforms on the other end, sinking into one's shoulder, severing the arm, traveling down the torso like a snaking river before cleaving through the pelvis and removing the leg as well. Fortunately you do not seem to have severed anything terribly important, as one's inner flesh appears to have a very soupy, slightly bubbling and distinctly bloodless texture. You breathe a sigh of relief at having avoided an unfortunate accident as one sort of slides away from you in a physically improbable manner, the severed part collapsing in on itself with an unusual howl and a pop even before it hits the ground.

You look over at the poor fellow with slight concern for his overall structural integrity, but he seems to have grown new limbs at this point, so you suppose that's perfectly all right. Guess he's a bit robust that  Though he does seem to give Ms. Minett a rather uncharitable look for tampering with this honorable duel.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hot Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: June 13, 2016, 05:13:13 am »

((NNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGH QUESTION INDECISION WHY))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: June 13, 2016, 10:08:55 am »

"Stop right there, criminal scum! You violated my mother!" Leif shouts after the guard. Where's that line from? Definitely heard it somewhere before...

Let's try that sense robbing technique aqain, this time more easily observed target: the guard. Rob his senses from his legs. And then rob his spear and run after Lee.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: June 13, 2016, 12:08:13 pm »

"Like you weren't already going to attack me."

I try to disrupt whatever it's about to do with a well-timed "CHAOS!"
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:42:06 pm by penguinofhonor »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: June 13, 2016, 12:32:48 pm »

"Ah. I think the likelihood of that was lower than it may have seemed. Certainly lower than it is now."

Sit down and relax a bit whilst watching, I could do with a rest.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 161