Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259216 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress
« Reply #615 on: February 15, 2016, 10:33:05 am »

Thomas sighed.  No closer to any real answers, other than the location of... well, a road of sorts.  All he needed was transportation and he'd be off.

"Thank you for the assistance, sir guards.  I must be going now... but I'd rather not walk all the way down the road to the highway.  Is anyone driving that way?  Maybe a loaner bicycle?"

Surely futile quest for transportation.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 15, 2016, 10:46:19 am »

Hey, speaking of, isn't there supposed to be a majora's mask type situation going on here?

It's been a while, I woulda thought it had crashed into the town by now.

Doesn't seem to be the case. Might have something to do with the way you blotted it out with umbral darkness.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 15, 2016, 10:49:57 am »

Mother of fuck I just fled the town and almost killed myself three times for no reason?

To hell with that!

Go hide in the trees and lift the darkness I created with SUN.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 15, 2016, 10:52:44 am »

Mother of fuck I just fled the town and almost killed myself three times for no reason?

It's a distinct possibility, though it's not like being outside of the besieged castle doesn't have advantages anyway.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 16, 2016, 03:10:32 pm »

"Ah, glad to have found you. Do you have your purple garment on you? If so, give it to me. If not, take me to it. Thanks!"

Extortion!

[I Need Your Clothes: 1]

Purple? The majordomo is shocked. Why would he wear a purple garment? That's the royal color. Fit for a king or a queen, which he feels the need to inform you he certainly is not. He believes it ought to still be illegal to possess anything purple in Benzerwald. Creates confusion, you see. The royal guards don't like it, being big fans of the color purple that they are.

Your attempt at extortion is cut short, however, when a unified shout of triumph is emitted from the singing and praying crowd as the darkness in the sky recedes, revealing a small proximal sun. You look up at the now-blue sky contemplatively. Does that mean it's daytime now? Seems a little odd. You don't think it's been that long.

On the bright side, you can see now. You look back at the majordomo, and note that he seems to be fully decked out in completely awful purple-and-green livery. You cast a critical eye at him as he looks back quizzically. What? You ask if he's still committed to that 'purple is illegal' thing, and he says yes without a hint of shame in his eyes. What does he call that, then, you ask about his livery.

He looks down, seemingly not understanding your question. Orange and gold, the colors of his house. Is there a problem?

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. I climb in and start crawling to the left.

[Labyrinths of Anglefork: 3]

You explore leftward along the passage, which leads you along the wall, with strategically placed peepholes (or perhaps murderholes, you're pretty sure at least one of them's well-positioned to use for stabbing somebody asleep). It runs along the entirety of the wing, and at the end of the passage there is a hole leading down. Feeling around with your foot you locate a peg set into the wall, and another beneath that. Seems like you're supposed to climb down or something.

Also, seems like the castle is brightening up. Not that this helps in the passage, which is still pretty much pitch black.

Singing is promising sign of merrymaking and good drunken party. Praying is not. And lack of burning churches can be rectified later.

Locate singers and join the party wholeheartedly, singing about great treasures taken from enemies. Also try to create a minder trick to incude state of drunkenness on others. Test it.

"I love good party!"

[Tricks of the Mind: 3]

Well, you know how to make an alcoholic grapefruit. And how to send people packets of self-unwrapping information, sort of. You think that's a good recipe for getting someone absolutely knackered, so you try it out, sending a joyful-looking lady one such grapefruit. She looks at it confusedly. You don't think she's ever seen one of those before. Or at least that's what you think. She really just looks at her hand, so who knows what's actually happening there.

[Unleash the Animal: 3]

You don't think you mesh well with the party guests, either. It might have something to do with the way they can't see you and you're not calling out to the sun in glorious song to save them all from eternal darkness. Nevertheless, some of them try to accommodate you anyway, pretending to politely listen in the middle of their chanting. Or maybe they're not and you're just hoping they're listening.

Well, the sun comes out anyway, so you congratulate them for their fine effort. Well done, well done indeed! Now can you get to the drinking and revelry? A few look up at the sky at the question. Some of them are up for it, you think. Quite a few others just seem vaguely apprehensive despite the way Sun-Mouth Prudence appears to be assuring them that the ritual has worked perfectly.

Thomas sighed.  No closer to any real answers, other than the location of... well, a road of sorts.  All he needed was transportation and he'd be off.

"Thank you for the assistance, sir guards.  I must be going now... but I'd rather not walk all the way down the road to the highway.  Is anyone driving that way?  Maybe a loaner bicycle?"

Surely futile quest for transportation.

[Foreign Devilry: 2]

They make a very good effort at pretending not to know what a bicycle or a car is, you must admit, looking almost genuinely bewildered by the very request.

In even worse news, even if your request wasn't hopelessly strange and near-indecipherable, the red-haired guy points out with what you hope is self-awareness rather than a vaguely patronizing smugness, there's kind of a siege going on. It might take a while to resolve. You're free to pitch in, though, he says with a chuckle. Maybe if you explain everything to the stoatmen they'll just let you leave.

You notice the castle brighten up. Is it morning already? With all these special effects it's hard to tell.

To hell with that!

Go hide in the trees and lift the darkness I created with SUN.

You're kind of already in the trees. You're not sure you want to climb one, since they're a bit burnt and ashy. Nevertheless, they might offer you some much-needed cover, as you get the feeling things may get potentially hot out here.

[Under Cover of Trees: 4]

Since running away is probably a better option than trying hide up in the branches, you just stand behind the tree, make ready for some applied linguistics, and then hop out, hands waving in arcane patterns even before you form that most wonderful syllable.

SUN

[Word: 5]

You need light. You need warmth. And you need this fucking darkness gone. You sense it up in the sky, your brother sun. It is enveloped in darkness, its passion smothered all but completely, much like your moonstone was. The solution seems intuitive now that you've come to know the extremes - the sun awakens slowly and steadily, power pouring into it as it starts to overcome the dark.

You're beginning to get good at this, you think as you withdraw your touch from its nascent mind so that it does not begin to recognize you, to remember why it sought you. It merely builds a glow, knowing no other purpose for now. And then, once daylight is safely restored, it stops. You lower your arms. Looking good, you think.

Lowering your eyes, you regard the area surrounding the castle. The stoatman ranks look relatively disorganized, metal-clad officers and padded grunts moving about as they enact twenty different protocols for minder trickery, all to absolutely no effect. Some of them appear to have knelt down and placed their heads on the ground, some have gathered in circles and begun shouting inspirational phrases, a few are trying to maintain formations and firing positions, but seem to be sorely lacking in anything worth shooting at. A few are trying to recover things off scorched and dust-flayed corpses strewn about here and there.

On one hand, they seem quite disorganized right now, although regrouping even as you consider them. However, you do believe there are still more than four hundred of them here, all of them rather decently armed and, more notably, completely cut off from any avenue of retreat. You think Sun Tzu had something to say about a situation like that.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:13:34 pm by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 16, 2016, 03:29:12 pm »

Jack shakes his head firmly.

"Nope. This," he taps a purple segment, "Is purple. The other one is green. Those are the colors. Clothes please."
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 16, 2016, 03:45:50 pm »

"Never let it be said that ERIC CODEBURN, CHILD OF THE SUN AND MOON left a job undone. You bastards ruined my clothes. Be cut down, and know your end draws near."

From the MOON to the Stoats, an engulfing storm of dust and glass! Shred their flesh, and make withered their bones!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:48:37 pm by Dermonster »
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 16, 2016, 06:51:55 pm »

Wow, that Mr. Minstep fixed things faster than I expected. What a cool guy.

And now I can devote my full attention to this. I climb down the hole.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 16, 2016, 08:02:28 pm »

((Credit where credit isn't due!))

Goodness.  Is time flying or has he just completely lost track of it?  "Fine then.  Where's the door?  I'll just go make my way out to these stout men and explain things.  Sounds like they might need better health insurance anyway if their diet is that bad.  I'm not even going to ask why they are in groups."

Seek egress.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 16, 2016, 08:07:46 pm »

I'm gonna shove toaster full of crescent rolls.

and by crescent rolls I mean I'm gonna katamari his ass with an phase inaccurate moon.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 17, 2016, 02:54:32 am »

Approach the victim of my trick.

"That's quite nice vodkafruit you got here, full of alcohol, no less. This seems like proper time to get drunk, don't you agree?"

Share good times (Erikson's Inexplicable Grapefruit) with people close by. INEVITABLE partytime!
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 17, 2016, 05:11:47 am »

Jack shakes his head firmly.

"Nope. This," he taps a purple segment, "Is purple. The other one is green. Those are the colors. Clothes please."

[A Compelling Argument: 3]

That can't be right, he says. Are you sure? You say yes. He thinks you might be wrong. You say that this is, like, his opinion. Maybe valid, of course, but sadly irrelevant. Now then, off with the clothes. Oh dear, he says. What are you going to do? He'll see momentarily, you say, and the majordomo gulps. He's not sure he likes this. Also, people are watching. You still don't really care, and give his shoulder a gentle squeeze that gets uncomfortably close to dislocating his shoulder, the look in your eyes unsettlingly paternal.

INEVITABLE

Well, he says, uh... does he really have to take off his clothes here? Can't you, say, go inside the keep or something?

You look around. There's a crowd of people about, all enthused about the sudden return of the light. Most of them appear to be paying you no mind. One set of eyes, however, meets yours. It is the knight who tried to interrupt the ritual a while back, hand on her blade as she seems to observe your business with the majordomo with interest.

"Never let it be said that ERIC CODEBURN, CHILD OF THE SUN AND MOON left a job undone. You bastards ruined my clothes. Be cut down, and know your end draws near."

From the MOON to the Stoats, an engulfing storm of dust and glass! Shred their flesh, and make withered their bones!

You think it's been a little too long since you last terrorized these stoatmen. Time to give them another taste.

MOON

[Word: 3]

A wind begins to pick up from the woods, blowing castleward. The stoatmen pause a moment as it starts to bite into their faces sharply, and within moments more orders begin to be barked at them by superiors - it's time to enact the impromptu scattering protocol, you believe. You see them start to take cover, anticipating more magical nonsense to come shortly. The wind, however, while clearly an unpleasant experience, does not seem to be immediately lethal in any sense, much to your disappointment.

[Stoats' Senses: 6]

The way the wind appears to be coming from the woods, however, is not lost upon their commanders. Units of stoatmen form up quickly enough, garbing themselves in whatever sheets and tent fragments they can find to guard against the dust, and move into firing positions by the riverside. They don't appear to know where you are, you don't think, but they seem quite determined to not take any magical guff from a stretch of burnt forest, forty stoatmen loading up their crossbows to unleash a volley on the suspected area, which unfortunately seems to include your position.

Wow, that Mr. Minstep fixed things faster than I expected. What a cool guy.

And now I can devote my full attention to this. I climb down the hole.

[Labyrinths of Anglefork: 4]

You climb down the pegs - it's a bit of a trip. Further down than one floor, certainly. You're not entirely sure where you end up - the climb terminates in a short drop on a wooden floor, the resulting noise eliciting a response from the darkness.

Who's there, asks a woman's voice weakly. It sounds slightly familiar somehow. The room itself feels considerably more expansive than the secret passageway, though despite this the air feels, if anything, considerably more oppressive.

((Credit where credit isn't due!))

Goodness.  Is time flying or has he just completely lost track of it?  "Fine then.  Where's the door?  I'll just go make my way out to these stout men and explain things.  Sounds like they might need better health insurance anyway if their diet is that bad.  I'm not even going to ask why they are in groups."

Seek egress.

[Comfortable Egress: 5]

There's the main gate, of course. That's closed, however. Can't let anyone in, you understand. You could get some guards to lower you with a rope over the wall, of course. Or maybe take a dive into the moat. Might be a little difficult getting back in, of course, if you can't come to an arrangement with the besieging force.

Granted, this isn't something the red-haired guard can jolly well advise you to do, of course. The stoatmen can get a little... dedicated in their pursuits, if you catch his meaning. They're a little less forgiving of your kind of thing than, say, the castle folk. Very 'in-character', he clarifies. Almost fanatically so. And their axes and swords are actually pretty sharp, he's heard. So, er, you might want to wait until they go away? If they go away?

Approach the victim of my trick.

"That's quite nice vodkafruit you got here, full of alcohol, no less. This seems like proper time to get drunk, don't you agree?"

Share good times (Erikson's Inexplicable Grapefruit) with people close by. INEVITABLE partytime!

[Peer Pressure: 3]

She's... not sure she wants to eat fruit that she's unsure as to the origin of. She's had hallucinations like this before, and never have they ended well. It's not a hallucination, you say. Well, that's what all hallucinations say, she replies. She knows how this all works. Maybe she'll try it later, she says noncommittally. When she's sure it's real and not just a clod of dirt. You can see it, you lie confidently. Isn't that a good predictor of reality? She looks at her hand, then nibbles at it slightly. Her face becomes an expression of utmost distaste. You look at her in confusion before realizing the issue - don't eat the peel, the peel's not any good. It's the soft innards you want. She doesn't seem convinced.

Hm. You think this party needs a pick-me-up. And you think you have just the thing.

INEVITABLE

[Word: 3]

Someone has to go for it, you're sure. And someone absolutely will. It's a matter of time more than it is of actual possibility. You walk over to a larger man. You approach a small servant girl. You draw closer to the priest. You tap a metal-clad woman on the shoulder. They all turn their heads from distant sides of the crowd, and become aware of a grapefruit in their hand. The metal-clad woman discards it. The priest ignores it. The larger man takes a moment to examine it. The servant girl, however, coos with excitement, becoming the one you have approached immediately. You instruct her to peel it and eat it, and she does, enjoying it immensely from the looks of it. Excellent! Now to do it again a few times.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 17, 2016, 05:35:22 am »

"Alright fine, if you're that shy. Cmon, let's go, then I won't have to bother you no more."

Head inside the keep and wait while the majordomo disrobes. Then take his clothes, thank him for his cooperation and wish him a good rest of his existence or whatever, and go hurry off to the blacksmith. Wave cheerily to the knight if I see her again, though try to maintain some distance between us per our agreement.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 17, 2016, 05:59:49 am »

"An explorer," I reply. "Who is this?" I creep toward the voice carefully, trying not to get too close unless I'm sure there's something separating us.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:02:36 am by penguinofhonor »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 17, 2016, 08:31:03 am »

"God damnit not this shit again. Thought I had this stuff down."

Have the second SUN... refocus their attention. Like an ant gets its attention refocused by a kid with a magnifying glass.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 161