Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259379 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Skies at War
« Reply #510 on: January 31, 2016, 06:32:44 am »

I stand up, stretch, and take a look around the well. Then I climb up the chain just far enough to stick my head outside and see what's happening. I drop down into the well if I see anything dangerous or particularly fiery.

You climb up the chain to the top of the well shaft, and take a look around, seeing only primeval darkness all around you. No, really. You can't see anything out here save for the brief moments when there's ominous white flashes from an area up in the sky.

[An Ear For Trouble: 5]

You think you do hear a commotion about. People moving around nervously, unsure of where to go or what's happening. A few guards calling out to their comrades in the pitch blackness, trying to make sense of the situation. Far more distant shouts as well, seemingly nonsensical at first, but peppered with what you think to be keywords signifying contingencies and battle formations. You don't think any of them know what they're doing right now.

Underneath it all, on the edge of your hearing, you think you hear something else. A strange harmony of sorts, a unifying element at the center. You prick up your ears a little. You can almost make it out. It's here somewhere, an elusive, fleeting thing.

"I'm told I take well to a lot of things. Now then, what's the next general step with this sort of thing? You've said that you can leave problems lying here on autopilot?"

The well also kinda implied that I'm not really a human while I'm in this ... dimension or whatever, aren't I. The mentions of substrate and all have got me thinking. Also something that one on-fire lady said. Something made out of rats? And given the minder girl mentioned that she found what she thought was my mind instead of being certain, maybe I've an aptitude for this sort of thing. Hopefully so, seems pretty cool.
Gotta talk with whoever built the well at one point.
See, this is why I need that problem autopilot thing!

Oh yes. But that requires a bit more realignment. She supposes she could try to further the partitioning right now. Hold still.

[Secrets of the Mind: 1]

The students turn to look at the girl in unison with dark eyes. She looks over at them. Uh. Maybe she shouldn't dig too deep. The students begin to slide toward her one by one, growing thinner as their feet deform and crawl along the rocky ground in a worm-like fashion. Their mouths start to hang open and gape, eyes receding into their skulls, the sockets sealing up, their faces sprouting branching, sensitive antennae.

She... thinks she'll be going now.

[Watch Yourself in Deep Waters: 4]

A few moments pass, and you spot a bead of nervous sweat on her forehead as the jaws of your students split into three-way symmetrical structures and they snake toward her in curving paths, encircling her as they move in closer, some of them blending together into conjoined forms. She closes her eyes, clenches her fists. There is no place like home, there is no place like home...

... and she's gone, poofing out of existence just as one of your students extends a pseudopod to greet her. They stand there for a second, then retreat into a larger circle, restoring their original shapes. Mostly. Two of them seem to have extra eyes, one of them doesn't have any. One appears significantly larger than the unusually small one next to them. And about two or three more have visible seams on their faces. They stare at you with frozen faces, awaiting instruction from their master.

"Can't blame the man for trying." Leif shrugs. "Theoretically speaking, could I decide which connection I give to you in exhance for answer and fulfillment? Purely hypothetically, I mean. I'm not paying anything yet. Just trying to probe possibilities."

Extended payment methodology probing. Once answer is received, exit the well, ask the girl levitate and observe it. And observe everything she does. Tell her how the well considers minding being a primitive method.

You cannot choose the connections given. This is to prevent exploitation of the system in place (see maximization of gains, methods of exchange, effects of randomization).

It takes but a single step for you to be at the door, and another one to get outside. You look back on the dark. It has grown no closer or further than when you first saw it. You go through the door, meeting no resistance.

Thank you. Come again.

The minder girl stands next to a distracted-looking Mr. Daniels, a rattled look on her face as she seems to be considering something. You go over to lighten the mood. How about some levitation?

[Diversions of Minding: 1]

Look, she's not here to do party tricks for you, the girl says with an air of offense taken. There's more important concerns. The higher mysteries of minding, she throws out in a defensive manner. Oh, you say innocently as you contemplate this. The well mentioned that minding was a primitive method, you then idly recall.

Well your mother was a primitive method, she says out loud as she gives you a withering look, going to carefully sit near the drape fire still going in one of the corners, making sure to keep her back to the wall.

"Oh wow I am sick and tired of your schtick THE SUN IS COMING DOWN FROM THE TOP OF THE SKY, I REPEAT, THE TOP OF THE SKY. RUN MOTHERFUCKER, RUN.!

Escape to the battlements! But out of sight of the massive stoat army I've gone and pissed off! And the second sun!

The way to the battlements is well-known to you, and you hardly even need your luminous stone to guide the way as you make your way back up. You look one way from a crenel. Absolute darkness. You assume there's the castle that way. Unless it blew up or something.

You look the other way from an opposite crenel. There's a whole lot of jack you can see that way too. You assume there's probably stoats as well, judging by the commotion. You don't see any though, and the darkness has this thick, soupy quality that makes you feel safe in assuming they probably can't see you either.

[Watchful Eyes: 4]

An impression that is not broken after about a minute of waiting. You're still probably in big trouble if the second sun starts to break through. Maybe you ought to vacate the premises.

You see another flash up in the sky. It looks weaker than the previous.

Thomas shook his head.  "Why are all the crazy people here?"

Anyway, keep trying to save people from this deathtrap.

As Mr. Codeburn flees urgently you rededicate your efforts to evacuation.

[Safety First: 4]

You inform the darkness above that the glowy floaty rock man seems to have gone off on other business and that it's perfectly safe as long as you mind the darkness and make lots of noise so that you know where someone's falling and be able to catch them. The noise generated from the upper areas makes you think you're making some progress.

[Evacuation in Darkness: 1]

The flaws of catching falling children in complete darkness become quickly apparent, however, when two of them, impatient for rescue, jump at the same time. You run into the red-haired guard as you position yourself beneath at least one of the sources of the approaching yells. What follows are four impacts. One is your own. Another sounds like metal chain on stone. A third is followed by a sudden onset of crying.

The fourth, though... the fourth is of a meatier sort, a crack and a spill, silence following.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 31, 2016, 07:10:30 am »

Jack nods curtly at his students.

"You have done well in protecting me. I charge you thusly: maintain well this temple that is my mind. Guard it against any intruders not specifically permitted here by myself, and during your free time from either of those two activities, meditate on the best way to aquire further mastery of the powers of the mind or over reality. Alert me when you believe you have made any progress in this last one. I will be in my chambers, or my awareness will be to the outside world."

He performs a short bow, then begins to walks off in the direction he presumes the master's quarters would be in a place like this - he'd designed it, after all.

I do wonder why my manifestations of thought or subconscious or whatever they were manifested the alterations they did. A curious question, though not one I'll ask the well. Damn thing's too stingy and literal.

Give instructions to my brood of mind-kung fu-altered beings and proceed to my chambers. Try to get back to the outside world by concentrating really hard on it - seems the most obvious way to do things in one's own mind.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 31, 2016, 08:24:12 am »

What is that? I try to follow the sound. It seems safe out here... sort of.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 31, 2016, 08:55:55 am »

((The reference in the first line of Thomas's statbox just clicked for me.  Oh dear.))

Oh dear.  Uh.  "Does anyone have a light?  Maybe we shouldn't do this in the dark."

Lights please?  Also try to tend to the crying thump.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 31, 2016, 09:48:37 am »

Right, climb on my rock and haul boulder as far away from here as fast as I can. MOON if at any point the darkness lets up.

"Majora's mask did not prepare me for this shit."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 31, 2016, 01:51:31 pm »

"Well she was when she made me, she had to rely on traditional methods. Genetic manipulation wasn't available back then. But what I mean is that thing behind the door called minding primitive method of reality altering when I asked it make me one. It even said that full skill and knowledge of minding could be attained with three good questions. But it gave perfect compatibility with minding so I can use any technique I observe. So how about it? Just to test if it really works?"

Explaing things slightly better.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 01, 2016, 02:33:26 am »

Jack nods curtly at his students.

"You have done well in protecting me. I charge you thusly: maintain well this temple that is my mind. Guard it against any intruders not specifically permitted here by myself, and during your free time from either of those two activities, meditate on the best way to aquire further mastery of the powers of the mind or over reality. Alert me when you believe you have made any progress in this last one. I will be in my chambers, or my awareness will be to the outside world."

He performs a short bow, then begins to walks off in the direction he presumes the master's quarters would be in a place like this - he'd designed it, after all.

I do wonder why my manifestations of thought or subconscious or whatever they were manifested the alterations they did. A curious question, though not one I'll ask the well. Damn thing's too stingy and literal.

Give instructions to my brood of mind-kung fu-altered beings and proceed to my chambers. Try to get back to the outside world by concentrating really hard on it - seems the most obvious way to do things in one's own mind.

Your students fall in line behind you, imitating your walk like humanoid ducklings. Every now and then a few split off and spread out as you navigate the already formed and still forming hallways of the temple, taking up positions in training rooms, meditation halls, zen gardens, the hand-cranked generator room and other things you feel appropriate for a kung fu temple to possess. You come to the master's quarters, which happen to be just past the living quarters. The remaining twelve or so students part ways with you here, and you enter the fancy incense-smelling room completely alone.

It doesn't quite manage the ascetic aesthetic of the rest of the temple, looking a lot like your typical bachelor pad, except without telltale signs of filth and disorder. There's a bed, some exercise equipment and a minifridge plugged into a nearby wall, kept well-stocked with supplies brought by fearful pilgrims, as well as a whole bunch of other odds and ends to make a kung fu existence that much more in line with modern ideas of comfort.

You think you've looked at enough to make for a reasonable guided tour, at least, and brush your new inner world aside, returning to the dark basement. The minder girl appears to have sat down next to the fire while you were out, and Mr. Erikson is currently in the process of pestering her for one reason or another. Seems to be sarcastically gesturing at her with a grin on his face.

What is that? I try to follow the sound. It seems safe out here... sort of.

[The Most Wonderful Sound: 6]

You climb out of the well carefully, and keep low to the ground as you listen to the sound. You need to get closer. You brush past a confused servant, and navigate around a worried guard, reaching the wall of what you suspect to be the shrine, judging by its unevenness. It's not the place you're looking for. But it's close. You bump into a woman in plate armor, disappearing into darkness as she draws her sword and goes on guard, and finally make your way to the chapel wall.

Hm. You'll need to go higher. Thankfully the wall has enough holes in it to climb. Guided by intuition and supported mostly by trial and error, you make your way up. Very close. You touch the edge of the sloped roof experimentally, then grab onto it with one hand. The moment of truth - you let go of the wall and grab onto the roof with both hands, then kick off the wall, using the momentum of your swing to pull yourself up to the edge, then clamber on. Not much further now.

The roof is relatively easy to navigate, though you need to remain on all fours to safely do so. You crawl to the front of the chapel. The sound is most perceptible here. You rise to your feet unsteadily, experimentally leaning one way, then the other. You are nearly there. You lean over the edge, spreading your arms and sticking your leg out backwards to balance for the moment. And there it is.

Groans of pain from the front of the chapel. Worried voices. Barked orders. A single prayer to the Sun and Moon, only halfway coherent. A distant proclamation of the honor of the Great House. Codes being shouted into the dark to inferred recipients. An electric buzz in the sky. Hurried footsteps. Furniture being stumbled over. The spilling of water. Nocturnal insects coming alive after brief confusion. Crying on the wind. Well-meaning suggestions. A topical, if perhaps not entirely apt video game reference. Underneath it all, the unifying principle.

CHAOS

You lean further forward. It feels counterintuitively safe. An entertaining contradiction.

((The reference in the first line of Thomas's statbox just clicked for me.  Oh dear.))

Oh dear.  Uh.  "Does anyone have a light?  Maybe we shouldn't do this in the dark."

Lights please?  Also try to tend to the crying thump.

[Darkness Eternal: 6]

There is a moment of silence. You hear the red-haired guard shuffle in search of something.

Lights? Does anyone have a light, you repeat the request. You feel a weird pressure build up behind your eyes. And then you notice the strangest thing. The shape of the crying child, clearly outlined in the darkness. It's a little difficult to describe, being not so much a product of your vision as it is of your perception. He landed on his feet, you think. Sprained his ankle. You step closer and reassure him that he'll probably be fine. It's, er, not fatal. Does that help? You're not sure.

Looking up, you see five more up in the alcoves, ranging from five to eight years old. The elder ones jumped first. They don't seem so sure of the prospect anymore.

At the edge of the hall, the first boy you caught. He seems to have been looking at you for a moment, but now has returned to staring at the kids up there. You vaguely sense words coming from him, and not in the spoken sense. The children hear him, their minds attaining momentary placidity. One of them steps to the edge, looking to you for assistance in a catch with an unsettling sureness given the events that just transpired.

The guard stands next to you, looking frankly worried. He can't see anything. Not like you can. You helpfully note your location to him, and he comes closer, still disoriented by the loss of visibility.

And finally, the origin of the fourth impact. You see nothing there. Just the complete blankness of impenetrable dark. Perhaps it's better that way.

Right, climb on my rock and haul boulder as far away from here as fast as I can. MOON if at any point the darkness lets up.

"Majora's mask did not prepare me for this shit."

You set yourself atop your handy stone and tell it to haul ass. Your ass, specifically. Fast and far.

[Stone's Piloting: 5]

Setting a straight course for right the fuck out of here, skipper. The stone picks up velocity to the point where you have to keep yourself low atop it lest you be blown off by the air resistance, directing most of its heat and light downward so as to not lose sight of the ground in this blasted dark. An added benefit of this is the possibility of strafing the disorganized stoat ranks, who seem to have approached the castle walls for lack of any better refuge. Precisely aimed beams of light precipitate thunderous explosions on the ground, turning any potential stoat witnesses and/or potential resistance to your escape into so much charred meat before they're even fully cognizant of your presence. You think your stone might be showing off a little on that front, but the dramatic efficiency of the extraction and the considerable stoat casualties inflicted by it probably improve your mood nevertheless.

It doesn't take long at all to get to the river at the edge of the castle island, naturally. Here you run into something of a problem, however, which is that the forest on the other side of the river seems to still be on fire. Your stone, somewhat disappointed that the way here wasn't longer, pauses to get your tactical opinion. Straight ahead, master? Or would you like to ride again? You can go along the river in a circle! Look for a place not on fire! Maybe work your way inward! That'd be quite fun, wouldn't it?

You look up at the sky with some concern. There is an even dimmer white flash. See, the stone points. You seem to be in the clear for now, master. And even if you weren't, well, you can hardly outrun a celestial body. It should know, being something of a cousin to one. Much faster than they look at the very least, it beams proudly.

"Well she was when she made me, she had to rely on traditional methods. Genetic manipulation wasn't available back then. But what I mean is that thing behind the door called minding primitive method of reality altering when I asked it make me one. It even said that full skill and knowledge of minding could be attained with three good questions. But it gave perfect compatibility with minding so I can use any technique I observe. So how about it? Just to test if it really works?"

Explaing things slightly better.

You are not helping. Geez, cheapen her art some more, will you? She's only spent the entirety of her life perfecting its basics. All for the glorious purpose of having some eldritch artifact belittle her for it by slightly less eldritch proxy. But hey! It's the call to adventure, right? She's here to teach you all her secrets so you can immediately grasp them and render her immediately obsolete and superfluous. Then you'll smugly go off to save the day or ruin everything, either's possible as far as she knows, and leave her to molder in this vacant ditch for the rest of her life, as she didn't happen to be brought into this world with a heroic destiny. She gets it. So here's a secret for you.

Looking up at you, she raises her hands in an overblown magical gesture reminiscent of a sarcastic set of jazz hands. Rainbow-colored shapes manifest in the air above her head - a confused mallard examining an apostrophe manifested to the left, the tail of the apostrophe tickling its beak mildly, the letter F ambling around slightly further to the left as it converses with a plus sign. The letter U arrives a little late to the gathering, manifesting to the right. The sound of party favors goes off in your head as you catch her meaning.

You nod pleasantly and imitate the gesture perfectly, manifesting the rainbow-colored image of a row of T-34s above your head accompanied by the letter H trying to squeeze in between a 1 and a 2 that are getting a little too friendly with each other. She frowns bitterly as she too hears the sound of congratulations. The technique seems a bit... specific, you think. And sadly without any actual materialization involved.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 01, 2016, 02:58:29 am »

"Sorry to end up belittling you, but you are really the best one around to learn from. This manner of reality altering is quite interesting and that eldritch thing there eats relationships in exchance for... things. One really shouldn't trust in demons. And think about it: you have the knowledge, I have the potential. By combining the two perhaps we can come up with something entirely new, perhaps improved way for reality altering. Entirely new school of functional magic! That's something not many people get around to do. So what you say? Let's put our strengths together. Have your name carved into history as a founder of entirely new school of magic!"

Analyze that technique down to basics. A visual illusion, a cognition trigger, and an auditory illusion, right? I can work new things from those, right?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 01, 2016, 07:28:00 am »

Yet another weird magical phenomenon. This merits further investigation when I can see better. I perch the brick on the edge of the roof so that I'll be able to see this spot from the ground, then try to climb down and duck into the chapel.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 01, 2016, 07:49:23 am »

"We set this place on fire pretty well. Time is of the essence, go over it."

Cover face with cloth to help with smoke. Use MOON to grow my rock beforehand for easier transport.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 01, 2016, 09:44:32 am »

This must be that thing where people who lose their sight find themselves able to compensate with other senses.  Or something.

"Okay, uh, let's go by age next?  You five up there?  The youngest jump first, when we're ready. Sir Guard, could you take two steps over?  Yes, there.  Now raise your hand, youngest one up there?  Okay, when we're ready..."

Let's finish off this evac.  Then next is finding the fire marshal.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 01, 2016, 03:09:58 pm »

"Well, that was interesting."

Jack notices his still extant burns.

"Oh right, those. I'm gonna rest for a bit, I think. Don't you kids leave me alone here or I'll break your legs, alright?"

Rest. Deep breaths. Believe away the pain.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Sun's Doom
« Reply #522 on: February 02, 2016, 05:19:38 am »

"Sorry to end up belittling you, but you are really the best one around to learn from. This manner of reality altering is quite interesting and that eldritch thing there eats relationships in exchance for... things. One really shouldn't trust in demons. And think about it: you have the knowledge, I have the potential. By combining the two perhaps we can come up with something entirely new, perhaps improved way for reality altering. Entirely new school of functional magic! That's something not many people get around to do. So what you say? Let's put our strengths together. Have your name carved into history as a founder of entirely new school of magic!"

Analyze that technique down to basics. A visual illusion, a cognition trigger, and an auditory illusion, right? I can work new things from those, right?

[Art of the Pitch: 5]

The girl thinks on this, looking at you with a little distaste. You're trying to flatter her. And appeal to her sense of pride and unquenchable ambition.

With that in mind, do go on! You've almost got her attention, she assures you.

[The Granular Approach: 4]

The illusion is a little odd, you notice. It seems to be less of an improvised assemblage of interacting elements and more of a ready-made package of thought conveyed from mind to mind with the assistance of an expressive gesture. A sequential introduction of thoughts - a setup with a perceptual component, the sudden occurrence of the solution, and a sarcastic congratulation, also with a perceptual element. You suppose robbing somebody of figuring out your riddle on their own is well within the spirit of the trick.

All in all, it's much less fancy than it looked. A mildly insidious form of telepathy where the thought payload is primed by time-delayed processing. A simple trick once you know the basics.

Yet another weird magical phenomenon. This merits further investigation when I can see better. I perch the brick on the edge of the roof so that I'll be able to see this spot from the ground, then try to climb down and duck into the chapel.

You don't think a dark brick will be easy to see in near-pitch blackness, but you suppose there's no harm in trying it. Balancing it safely on the edge, you go ahead and try to climb down.

[Exploring the Vertical: 3]

You're not entirely sure where you climbed up, but you certainly can't find it now. At least not without hanging off the edge of the roof again, which seems like a risky prospect when you have no idea if you'll even find any footholds on the wall below. You could just try and jump off, you suppose. Maybe if you bend your knees, relax your muscles and roll at the end (can you do all that at once, you're not sure), you'd even manage to not hurt yourself in the process.

In any case, you're going to need to plunge into the unfriendly darkness with no idea of what you're doing for a little bit to get back down. And you suspect right now you're just hanging at the edge of the roof dithering because you're not sure you want to.

"We set this place on fire pretty well. Time is of the essence, go over it."

Cover face with cloth to help with smoke. Use MOON to grow my rock beforehand for easier transport.

You hide your face in the collar of your nightgown and try to give your shining stone another improvement.

MOON

[Word: 1]

A core of dust, orbit of a satellite, the inner flame of a proximal star, a mass far greater than yours. It is incongruous. A mess of words. It of the Sun and of the Moon, but does not resemble either. As your word links it to the black and starless sky, the power of the new moon takes precedence. You think you sense a moment of panic within it as a shiver runs through its core, and its flame is extinguished within the space of a millisecond. It jerks out from underneath your feet, flying at a right angle to your intended heading. Thrown off-balance, you fall.

[A Fortuitous Landing: 1]

The freezing, unquiet waters of the mountain river beneath take your breath away as you plunge into them. You lose sight of the burning forest as you sink to the bottom, trying to flail yourself into buoyancy while inhaling copious amounts of spring-fresh water.

[Sink or Swim: 6]

The bottom is fortunately not as far as it could be. Raising your arms to increase your downward momentum, you bounce off the river bed and propel yourself toward the edge, smacking yourself into a rather large rock, then rolling out into fordable waters over the rough underwater terrain, finally crawling out to the shore, feeling somewhat on the wet and miserable side. Coughing out some of the water you accumulated in your lungs in the process of trying not to drown, you take a look around. The light on the other side of the river from the forest fire seems terribly dim. You appear to still be on the castle island.

You notice a small shifting of the wind as something massive flies past you at considerable speed. The moonstone. Now returned to its proper form, and considerably larger for it. You call out to it, but it does not seem able to answer.

There is one more flash in the sky, bright and powerful, and even when it is stopped by the sky you feel the surroundings heat up a little. The skies quiet down a little, and you see little more.

This must be that thing where people who lose their sight find themselves able to compensate with other senses.  Or something.

"Okay, uh, let's go by age next?  You five up there?  The youngest jump first, when we're ready. Sir Guard, could you take two steps over?  Yes, there.  Now raise your hand, youngest one up there?  Okay, when we're ready..."

Let's finish off this evac.  Then next is finding the fire marshal.

[An Organized Rescue: 4]

Being able to see works wonders on your rescuer abilities. As the children fall out of their alcoves one by one you catch them, depositing their blankly staring forms down on the chairs conveniently available in great numbers. They don't seem to feel like moving any further, which you suppose is all right by now. Between your efforts and those of the guard you guide, the children are all safely caught within two minutes. They stare at you collectively as you suggest finding the fire marshal, but say nothing. Or even particularly move. Once you start walking, though, they follow in an orderly row except for the kid you talked to before, who follows from behind, an intense look on his face. His nose appears to be bleeding, and he's doing nothing to stop it, seemingly lost in thought.

Now then, where might one find a fire marshal in this place? The keep, perhaps? It'd be a little strange, granted. And it's still bloody dark out here, the perfect clarity of your companions and, strangely enough, quite a few other people in the courtyard notwithstanding. There's a bit of a commotion out here. No fire that you can see, but people seem very worried nevertheless.

"Well, that was interesting."

Jack notices his still extant burns.

"Oh right, those. I'm gonna rest for a bit, I think. Don't you kids leave me alone here or I'll break your legs, alright?"

Rest. Deep breaths. Believe away the pain.

You're not sure why lying down in a filthy basement strikes you as adequate treatment for second degree burns, but you're not about to second-guess something that gets you a short break from all the nonsense. There's a nice spot right there in one of the empty corners, too. Needs a bit of sweeping to remove some shards on the ground, but you manage just fine.

Feels good to lie back on the cold stone floor and let the world go on for a bit. Not too long, though. Can't just sleep the pitch-black night away. Or can you? You're not entirely sure. Is any of this supposed to be normal? So many questions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 02, 2016, 05:30:42 am »

Lay back. Chillax. Contemplate life and my situation. What do I really want to do, since I'm evidently some sort of demonic abomination thing in the guise of a human, if all the things those various people and extradimensional entities have said are true?
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 02, 2016, 07:00:19 am »

Well... this wasn't a great decision. I try to swing myself towards the wall as I drop off.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 161