Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259467 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Great Divide
« Reply #435 on: January 21, 2016, 05:47:01 pm »

"I don't know what a connection is. Would you be willing to elaborate on what it is before I provide another one, so I can know if I can steal those of others and provide them to you? It could result in greater long-term gain for you."
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 21, 2016, 06:29:29 pm »

"Ah, yes!  Well, it appears no one here either knows or is willing to tell me the way to Albany.  That said, it has come to my attention the lack of adequate workman's compensation insurance in this establishment!  Let me tell you the benefits of..."

Sales pitch, go!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 21, 2016, 11:55:36 pm »

"By Thor's hammer, I figured that would be obvious by now. Sure, I'll buy it. Just catch three rats by yourself down there. You can find wooden tubes full of rats in corners down there, easy catch. I'll even help you catch few if you want."

Trading. Gain location of a living minder. And shards of possibly blue bottle. Help him if he wants help, but if anyone wants to get back up, be sure to be the first one to do so.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:07:09 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 22, 2016, 05:18:36 pm »

"I don't know about you but I could go for even more fire at the moment.

Shield myself this time. Aim at the most concentrated bits of Stoat and unleash the might of the SUN.

[A Likely Target: 2]

Ah. Well. There's a slight problem with that idea, which is that the stoats in question are a bit hard to pin down. You're a bit high up, and the brightness of the flames makes it a little difficult to make out anything in the darker bits. That, and the stoats seem to have extinguished all their flames in a systematic fashion and scattered. A surprising feat of morale given the hand of God you just unleashed upon them, though you suppose it's not like they didn't have advance warning of sorcerous nonsense from your previous displays.

"I don't know what a connection is. Would you be willing to elaborate on what it is before I provide another one, so I can know if I can steal those of others and provide them to you? It could result in greater long-term gain for you."

To obtain an answer and a fulfillment, you must provide a connection. The warmth of your kind must give way to the warmth of the well. First you must give - only then can you drink from the overflow.

"Ah, yes!  Well, it appears no one here either knows or is willing to tell me the way to Albany.  That said, it has come to my attention the lack of adequate workman's compensation insurance in this establishment!  Let me tell you the benefits of..."

Sales pitch, go!

[A Certain Mood: 3]

Workman's comp. The cornerstone of modern workplace insurance. A provision of safety for the potentially unfortunate, a shield to protect the downtrodden and endangered from cruel twists of fate! A very nice thing to have, in short. With such a safety net in place, how can a worker not feel like they can give their absolute all for their employer who has so kindly provided such a far-reaching gesture of goodwill?

The queen seems to understand what all those words mean individually, but she's having trouble piecing together what all of them mean collectively.

Workman's comp, you restate! A thing of many benefits, she has to agree! It helps one avoid lawsuits and provides much-appreciated financial security for employees. And a happy employee as well as a minimum of lawsuits make for much greater productivity, data shows. And extra productivity certainly would not go amiss in one's royal guard!

The... royal guard? Do they want a raise again? She'd be willing to provide one. Not like it actually matters, but if it makes them feel more important.

"By Thor's hammer, I figured that would be obvious by now. Sure, I'll buy it. Just catch three rats by yourself down there. You can find wooden tubes full of rats in corners down there, easy catch. I'll even help you catch few if you want."

Trading. Gain location of a living minder. And shards of possibly blue bottle. Help him if he wants help, but if anyone wants to get back up, be sure to be the first one to do so.

Oh, those rats? He's already got those. Never let a rat slip by, that is his honest philosophy. An additional honest philosophy to consider is to not trade things that clearly do not belong to you. A very honest philosophy indeed, would you not say?

Now then, back to important matters. Fragments of a blue bottle - the ultimate in multifunctional refuse. A single rat will get you enough for a number of purposes!

[Fire Sale: 6 vs. 6]

A flying piece of glass nearly slices off a part of your earlobe. Better hurry! They are going very fast, as you can see. Just one solitary, singular rat for all the broken possibly blue fragments you could ever want!

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 22, 2016, 05:22:57 pm »

"Well, compensation is really a combination of salary and benefits, is it not?  Increase the benefits and it's as if you're increasing the salary without actually doing so!  Plus, the decrease of net risk to you makes it essentially free to you!  Why, let me tell you the story of another client of ours..."

Continue the pitch!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 23, 2016, 12:17:10 am »

"Okay then, I'll give a connection. If I have one to give. In return ... May I request the complete knowledge of the metaphysics of this universe, including how to operate them. Magic, basically. The words and all that?

My question - again, if I have a connection to give - is the closest location of a purple object - preferably an impressive one."

((Metagaming a little? Perhaps, but I've found myself in the odd situation of role playing a guy who subconsciously thinks he's in a hallucination/fantasy thing and thus feels free to act differently than he would otherwise.))
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 12:35:22 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 23, 2016, 12:20:36 am »

Welp, Time to go give the good news to the Queen. Descend!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 23, 2016, 12:51:52 am »

"Ah, yes. The minders. I don't know how else to say this, so I'll be straightforward. They have died, but they left us ways to access their power. I believe we can use this to defeat the stoats. The thing is, this is arcane magic with strange rules and I can't tap into it without others. Would you be willing to help? It shouldn't take long."

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 23, 2016, 02:52:16 am »

This guy isn't really helping. Leif steps away from the well (mostly to avoid barrage of fragments) and thinks better ways to find minders. Hmm, how about asking? Literally ask everybody at one by shouting very loud: "Where are the minders!? Don't tell me in tower because there was none!"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 24, 2016, 10:27:19 am »

"Well, compensation is really a combination of salary and benefits, is it not?  Increase the benefits and it's as if you're increasing the salary without actually doing so!  Plus, the decrease of net risk to you makes it essentially free to you!  Why, let me tell you the story of another client of ours..."

Continue the pitch!

[On The Nature of Employment Benefits: 1]

It's just smoke and mirrors, isn't it? She can give the royal guards whatever they please, and it doesn't matter one bit. There's just no real backing for any of it, the queen explains. There's gold that nobody wants and that nobody can spend. There are the rats, which are of no use if they survive. And there are favors, of which there are none of any real value.

Listen, there is an army out there, waiting for the day when the people in here have been starved out to sufficient weakness to permit their mass slaughter, and here you are talking about employment benefits for the royal guard of all things. It's balderdash! Insanity!

"Okay then, I'll give a connection. If I have one to give. In return ... May I request the complete knowledge of the metaphysics of this universe, including how to operate them. Magic, basically. The words and all that?

My question - again, if I have a connection to give - is the closest location of a purple object - preferably an impressive one."

Your fulfillment: the metaphysics of the universe are a matter of perspective (see relativity of reality, nature of perception, elusiveness of true knowledge). Narrowing the question, your sphere of interest appears to be magic. Explanation: your high compatibility with the well allows the context-sensitive manipulation of the world through linguistic units applied from special revelations (see words, magic, context-dependent words of magic). Words are deployed through your interpreter (see interpreter, vessel composition, universality of language) and cause localized distortions in reality that tend to be unpredictable in success rate and results, but allow for results normally impossible within the metaphysical framework of the universe you inhabit. In essence they are the utilization of the interpreter to persuade the universe to behave otherwise (see universality of language, efforts of will, lies-to-children). Words depend on ancillary elements such as gestures, thoughts and actions to elaborate their effects, and are thus highly multifunctional. You are capable of deploying a single spoken Word at a time (see interpreter, limitations of universality of language, compact solutions). The deployment of several spoken Words at a time increases or dampens their effects (see interference, unity of context, apocalyptic events). The attainment of a Word typically requires an important resolution of ambiguity (see ambiguity, vessel functions, rewards beyond imagining).

Your answer: the majordomo has a parade robe to present himself to minders. It is purple and gold. He will not part with it, but he is old and weak. He dwells in the keep.

Your price: a connection now belongs to the well.

Welp, Time to go give the good news to the Queen. Descend!

[Triumphant Descent: 6]
[Stone's Aid: 3]

You step atop the stone and tell it to carry you to the keep! It seems to be terribly honored to carry you once again. A very good display of magical fireworks, master. It only wishes it could muster up half of your style and unmitigated charm. It is its greatest privilege to be able to convey you to report your success. These people will soon know better than to have ever doubted your greatness!

[A Vindictive Rebuttal: 5 vs. 5]

A bolt flies uncomfortably past your head as you descend a few floors, the stone's graceful, deliberate floating as well as telltale glow making you a very easy target for the still 500-odd stoatmen hanging out by the outer earthworks, having been put on heights of alert seldom seen before by modern eyes by your display of power. It is soon followed by another, then another, and you find yourself in an uncomfortable rain of projectiles coming from positions you can't quite see on account of the illumination of your footing deepening the distant shadows in which they no doubt reside.

The stone asks if you'd like to be conveyed to the keep's roof a little faster, or if you'd instead like to bask in their impotent hatred of your radiant, perfect shape.

"Ah, yes. The minders. I don't know how else to say this, so I'll be straightforward. They have died, but they left us ways to access their power. I believe we can use this to defeat the stoats. The thing is, this is arcane magic with strange rules and I can't tap into it without others. Would you be willing to help? It shouldn't take long."

Claire takes a long drink from her mug as you mention the deaths of the minders, looking melancholy as you explain what you need. This is hope you offer, she says as she takes your hand. A terrible thing to offer lightly. She hopes you understand this, because she will trust you.

Tell her what you need. And tell her why.

This guy isn't really helping. Leif steps away from the well (mostly to avoid barrage of fragments) and thinks better ways to find minders. Hmm, how about asking? Literally ask everybody at one by shouting very loud: "Where are the minders!? Don't tell me in tower because there was none!"

[Raving into the Dark: 3]

Nobody seems to feel like answering your query. The keep's door guards roll their eyes, wondering if perhaps another stay in jail may be in order for you. Other than that, no signs of life present themselves.

[An Unlikely Demonstration: 6-1 vs. 1]

In fact, they are altogether delighted when you are interrupted by a fragment of a possibly blue bottle embedding itself into one of your carotid arteries after proceeding along an unlikely trajectory probably aimed more by ear, a half-blocked arterial spray painting it a very definite red. As a little of your generously spilling blood flies down into the well (that blood pressure really is something, you find), you hear a hearty whoop-whoop of triumph.

[A Healthy Crossfire: 4-1 vs. 4]

This is accompanied by a sudden rain of crossbow bolts from the heavens. None of them hit you, but you think more than mere peasants have taken offense at your question, to be frank.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:32:12 am by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 24, 2016, 10:38:29 am »

"Dear, oh dear, a lack of present funds is the cause of the decline of our services?  Well, if you decide you don't want lawsuits tearing down your business, then I'll give you my phone number."  Lacking a card, Thomas is forced to simply recite his number a couple times.  "Now if I could kindly ask you the way to Albany, I will be on my way.

Finally giving up.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 24, 2016, 12:12:43 pm »

BACK UP TO THE ROOF! Um. Can the MOON hide me?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 24, 2016, 12:30:57 pm »

This was more fun when I was drunk.

Negotiations failed. Jump on that bastard who's throwing shards at me. Literally jump on him. Land on him with my whole gravity assisted weight. It's also probably good place to hide from offended archers.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 24, 2016, 12:43:40 pm »

"Thanks, well! You're really swell.
I apologize for that pun, I should know better. Can I exit now?"

Exit well darkness, look around, assess situation.
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 24, 2016, 02:14:38 pm »

She could have taken it worse, I suppose. I sip some mead. "It's a very grim situation. But the minders have brought me to Anglefork with a group of other people, and we're all trying to help. I have been investigating a strange door in the well that belonged to the Hidden, one that draws strength from connections between people. I believe I can channel significant power with our connection. Will you go to the well with me?"

I finish my drink and stare her in the eyes. Let's hope she believes I know what I'm doing. I lead her outside if she agrees.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:16:55 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 161