Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259801 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Words Which Burn
« Reply #225 on: December 27, 2015, 06:19:27 pm »

"Hmm. Living things, eh? You'd think you'd get to trying something bigger than rats after a while. Eh, I suppose I can try it out with a rat at first. Is everyone here, should I start?

Oh dear, that fellow's rather shiny. Maybe I should step behind this here pillar in case of sudden lasers or somesuch."

Go behind a nearby pillar.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 27, 2015, 07:54:41 pm »

Okay, whatever the people over there are doing creeps me out less. And I don't really want to know if there are consequences to attending this ritual unprepared. I approach the sparkly man.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:40:49 am by penguinofhonor »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 28, 2015, 09:33:57 am »

Assume The position.

"Praise the SUN."

SUN

The word reverberates in your mind, and you are bathed in a soft, warm radiance that shines upon you and glares off your reflective robe. It is a pure white, illuminating the courtyard to midday's brightness. The crowd collectively breathes in, observing your praise in plain and unabashed awe. The light brightens to a peak, the courtyard growing brighter than daylight for but a moment before it darkens once more.

As the people look on in wonderment, the priest, who seems to have been grinning ear to ear in ecstatic glee throughout the display, raises his arms in imitation of you. "Praise be!" he bellows. "Praise the Sun!" A few echo his cry, and imitate you in turn, the attention of the entire yard now resting squarely upon your grossly incandescent, though currently dimming form. The others start to join in, perhaps not convinced, but definitely very excited.

"They probably kill him when they catch him, but that's just the risk one have to take if one wishes to escape the prison, which is also why I have learned to serve my punishment. Notably less common practice in western countries, thankfully.
So, gotta pass some time before evening comes, right? Tell me more about yourself. You said you had a reputation as a small talker before? And is there something wrong with your face?"

Oh, she did! She used to be the proper lady of the castle, and a rather beloved hostess at that. Well, before the queen came and took over when her education demanded the attendance of Anglefork's splendid minder tower. You venture a question on how long ago this might have been, and she counters with a question of what year it is - the obvious answer doesn't make any sense to her for some reason, so you both move on with the conversation. She didn't mind the takeover, she mentions, as she had already moved here at this point. Her countenance demanded it, she says.

Her face, then, you ask with perhaps a little less tact than you should. What's the matter with it? Truth be told, she doesn't entirely know. The minders aren't sure, either. But it has severely deleterious effects on any beholder, she discovered. Hits people straight in the heart and the brain. It's some kind of strange disease, the minders said. Something about her visage becoming a yawning chasm of uncertainty that twists the minds of any onlookers into shapes described as direly unnatural. Might have something to do with the Corner of the World being so close, actually. Something about the infinitely tall mountains tends to disagree with the physically possible.

She elected to come here for the sake of public safety. She's come to quite enjoy the darkness and the confined space, really. Never liked roomy places to begin with. At least here she can feel all the walls, explore the ceilings. And she gets a lot more exercise with nothing better to do. She'd recommend spending some time in the dungeon to the poor little queen, really, were the suggestion not somewhat likely to be misconstrued.

Of course, conversation is something she's quite missed. The minders have been trying to visit her often, but they do have such important business to attend to. And the queen sometimes, too, but your cellmate fears she finds her somewhat unsettling for some reason. One wonders why - she's certainly been nothing but pleasant, she feels. Perhaps it's the dark, but hardly anything one can do about that without needlessly endangering Her Majesty. Maybe some audiences with the common folk may be in order in the near future if this siege business goes well. She hasn't been following that too closely, truth be told - military matters have always been very boring to her. Politics as well, now that she thinks about it, her rather strong opinion on the stoat question notwithstanding.

Thomas looked at the shiny fellow.  Well, that's a thing, and probably the main focus of whatever this event was, and- oh no, is it SUNSET?  Did he already miss the meeting?  Well, there's one problem that can be fixed.

Go grab that sandbag and see if it can be made into a pants-like apparatus.  Dump it out if need be.  Then watch the performance, maybe see if they drop a time or date.

It cannot, unfortunately, not with the current nonexistent tools at your disposal, though you fail to discover this before an uncomfortable amount of sand has graced your lower quarters. So you return to-

SUN

-er, well, you return to the doorframe, and notice that the fellow has gotten quite a lot shinier. And the courtyard seems to have gotten considerably brighter, too. A bit brighter than day, if that makes any sense. Must be some heavy-duty lighting at work. Guess they don't value their authenticity that much. Or maybe they're just a confused sect of neopagans with a healthy appreciation for special effects. You make no assumptions.

The gathering people look to be eating it up, in any case. Very favorable crowd, you suppose, to be impressed by a spotlight or two to that degree. They start praising the sun and everything under the guidance of the filthy, bloody lunatic accompanying the shiny gentleman.

"Hmm. Living things, eh? You'd think you'd get to trying something bigger than rats after a while. Eh, I suppose I can try it out with a rat at first. Is everyone here, should I start?

Oh dear, that fellow's rather shiny. Maybe I should step behind this here pillar in case of sudden lasers or somesuch."

Go behind a nearby pillar.

The captain of the guard ought to make an appearance, the shirtless man tells you. He seems a bit busy, but it would be poor form to start without him. He's the second most senior member of the gathering right after himself. And the shiny gentleman makes for a nice enough distraction that he's sure the people already gathered wouldn't mind waiting a little longer. Shiny things do tend to keep one's attention all too well. You suppose that's sensible. An equally sensible idea to perhaps not stand directly within sight of Mr. Codeburn's radiance - you haven't experienced a proper lasering yet, and you'll be damned if you plan to start now. You jump behind-

SUN

-a pillar, yes. You feel this was a very good decision, given the shiver that passed over you just now. Not that you hear screams of agony and horror or anything, or see winds of ash blowing from disintegrating, charred skeletons either. Maybe it's just some good old-fashioned UV-C, you suppose. The courtyard is bathed in surprising brightness, and the shadow of the pillar you stand in looks that much deeper now as the light brightens to a slightly unnatural peak before dimming to less unsettling levels again. You hear praise leveled at the glorious Sun coming from the crowd. Bet they'll change their tune when their birthmarks start to turn malignant.

Okay, whatever the people over there are doing creeps me out less. And I don't really want to know if there are consequences to attending this ritual unprepared. I approach the sparkly man.

Almost deific in his sparkly shininess, Mr. Codeburn certainly delivers, assuming a position you think you've seen somewhere before, speaking the words, praising the

SUN

... he flashes with white light that has no visible source, outshining the setting sun itself as you approach carefully, his reflection making you avert your eyes at first. Quite literally brilliant, he bathes courtyard in a great and mystical light, for a moment making it brighter than day. The castle folk are suitably impressed, needless to say. Seldom does one see a prophetic appearance with more than parlor tricks to back it up. The unkempt, bloody fellow who heralded his arrival is quick to capitalize on the moment, leading the more easily impressed into a massed sun-praising session. Looks like the makings of a fun night for many.

Spoiler: Hot Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 28, 2015, 09:51:23 am »

Fancy, if a bit overdone.  Well, surely someone here has a phone.  Surely kidnapping falls under a reasonable excuse for tardiness; at least make it a verbal warning instead of a written one.

Hang around the back of the crowd, and see if anyone has a phone I could borrow to call the Boss.  Maybe if someone has some pants.  At least confirm it's the date I think it is?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 28, 2015, 01:17:00 pm »

"That's happened before..."

Let's see if my dress is shiny enough to do that. But let's try something more than a parlor trick, like maybe scattering some rocks around. That's still pretty simple. I turn to face the stone circle, focus on it for several seconds, then sternly say "WATER."
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:21:52 pm by penguinofhonor »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 28, 2015, 02:43:39 pm »

"Wait, that was a magic word! There's magic words here? We can be wizards theoretically? Fuck yes, I always wanted to be a wizard!

Though there's probably something different about it than just saying it. Hmm. Maybe killing a person on that rock would get me a word..."

Wait hold up what the fuck. Why did the thought of murdering someone so casually come into my mind? I could envision how I'd do it, even. Multiple ways. Sheesh. Can't be doing that, there's decency to uphold and shit.
Well, sort of. Given that I have only an apron on, I suppose decency is a subjective term. But still. Can't just go around killing people, Jack. That's wrong.

Why am I asking why? It's just wrong, that's why.

Not the point right now, focus on the magic mirror-dress guy.

Stay behind pillar, idly/unconsciously muse on methods of ritual human sacrifice without having a knife on hand.
Sig! Onol

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 28, 2015, 05:30:35 pm »

Assume the other position.

In the name of the MOON, I will protect you!

Time to Purge an Army.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 29, 2015, 03:11:00 am »

((Pretty pretty Derm. 8)))

"Here's that word again. Minders. Who are they? At this point it sounds like they are not exactly what I think the word means. The stoat called me minders' trick."

Elaborate please, and elaborate in turn.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 29, 2015, 05:23:55 am »

Fancy, if a bit overdone.  Well, surely someone here has a phone.  Surely kidnapping falls under a reasonable excuse for tardiness; at least make it a verbal warning instead of a written one.

Hang around the back of the crowd, and see if anyone has a phone I could borrow to call the Boss.  Maybe if someone has some pants.  At least confirm it's the date I think it is?

The cheeky buggers in the crowd seem to not quite grasp the concept of a phone. You'd suspect they were ribbing you if not for the way most of the ones you ask seem genuinely confused. The word sounds familiar somehow, one of the women you ask says, but she's fairly sure she's never seen one of those before. Actually, it feels a lot like-

MOON

The shiny gentleman appears to be... huh. You... can't say you understand how he's making it look like that weird rock is orbiting him. That's strange.

"That's happened before..."

Let's see if my dress is shiny enough to do that. But let's try something more than a parlor trick, like maybe scattering some rocks around. That's still pretty simple. I turn to face the stone circle, focus on it for several seconds, then sternly say "WATER."

Water. Water! Water? Hm. It doesn't sound right. Not like-

MOON

-yes, not like that at all. Mr. Codeburn appears to have something you don't, you think, as he seems to have gathered a perfectly fine rock already by making another reference these people will now forever associate with a religious experience of the utmost gravity.

Stay behind pillar, idly/unconsciously muse on methods of ritual human sacrifice without having a knife on hand.

MOON

You don't quite see what that did, of course, being behind a pillar. No bursts of light, certainly.

As for human sacrifice, well... strangulation seems like an idea. You could also use a rock that's lying around, or maybe smash something against the slab repeatedly. You'd be better served by broader motions, you suspect, since those can be better seen from the back. Have to make sure there is an observable action and an observable reaction - kind of like shooting a martial arts movie, or maybe like professional wrestling rather than, say, your average UFC bout (spectacular headkicks and unusual quantities of blood notwithstanding) or something of that stripe. Putting some extra showmanship into your animal cruelty is sure to pay a great deal of dividends in the ritual sacrifice business.

Assume the other position.

In the name of the MOON, I will protect you!

Time to Purge an Army.

MOON

Dust rises from all around the courtyard as you speak the words, coming to you at your bidding. You gently jump from your position, rising some three feet above everyone else in the courtyard as the pull of the earth weakens on your body. The dust flies at you, some of it gathering on your robe, blackening it in places, the rest gathering in a small sphere orbiting your head, the particles growing wild and untamed by atmosphere as you approach the peak of your jump and begin to float downward.

Even as the feeling of lightness subsides when your feet touch the ground once more, the sphere remains, continuing to orbit you at a considerable pace. You look at it for a moment and it stops immediately, only to return to its circling as you look at the crowd, who the priest seems to be trying to lead in a chant (not that anyone's really paying attention to him, being a bit too busy gawking at you presently). It's not as fancy a transformation sequence as you would like, of course. But it seems to be impressing this lot just fine, chaotic praising of the Sun and Moon creating a proper din around you.

((Pretty pretty Derm. 8)))

"Here's that word again. Minders. Who are they? At this point it sounds like they are not exactly what I think the word means. The stoat called me minders' trick."

Elaborate please, and elaborate in turn.

The minders... well, they're very knowledgeable people who live in the minder tower, the lady explains. They have gotten to the point where they can think things, and some of them happen by the force of their will. Or something of that nature, anyway. She doesn't know the specifics - she did try out the preparatory meditations when she was but a girl, but minding never really came to her naturally, unlike her cousin in Thereford. Minding used to be in the blood of the Anglefork lords, but seems like that got misplaced somewhere along the way in her pedigree, unfortunately. Though maybe for the best, really, since minding can get rather dangerous at times.

And she supposes that bit with you being a minder trick is just some more stoat talk. They think everything is a minder trick, from taxes to governance by the aristocracy. Everything has to be an unforgivable assault on the privacy of their twisted minds. They probably blame minders for themselves being crazy, too. Foolish stoats.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 29, 2015, 06:25:37 am »

Jack's mind roils with disquieting thoughts of murder and blood. Who knows why, he certainly doesn't. Sure, he occasionally gets the urge to punch someone in the trachea and watch them choke on their own windpipe, or to jam his thumb into their eye and ram their nose straight up into their brain with his knee, or something of the like, but that was just the side effects of practicing how to kill people for a long time.

"Say shirtless guy, did you see what happened there, with the moon thing and all? Also did you mention you had a knife? Or does someone attending have a sharp stabby thing? I'm feeling very inspired for some reason."

((The prospect of ritualistically killing someone in a Harry Baldman game? My enthusiasm gland expands!))
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 29, 2015, 06:41:09 am »

"To be honest, taxes are a trick, one by government though. Leaders can lead and issue orders without actually doing anything and live by taxes."

"Seeing I have nothing but time and my gods are mostly 'help yourself first' type, mind teaching me those minder meditations? A man ought to try new things occasionally. That, and making mead appear directly into my stomach sounds like a lot of fun."

Cultural adaptation is important. If they are nuts, pretend to be one too.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 29, 2015, 09:02:38 am »

Well crap, magic is harder than I thought. I continue to observe the ritual circle and dancing shiny man, staying closer to the latter.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 29, 2015, 11:55:03 am »

Moon jump to the Ramparts! See how well I can actually control this Moonstone. Like, how far away can I send it, or whether I can swing it like a wrecking ball through many many many enemy forces.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 30, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »

Darn it!  These folk are some of the best actors he had ever seen... what's the phrase... "staying in character" or somesuch?

That is a neat effect.  Maybe this is one of those traveling magic shows?

Ask around to see how often this show comes around.  Continue to look for clothing choices.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 30, 2015, 08:52:25 pm »

Spoiler: Henrique Jackson (click to show/hide)
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 161