Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this thread become the new European Politics thread?

Yes, we need one anyway.
- 17 (21.8%)
No, we should take that elsewhere and keep this thread as-is.
- 27 (34.6%)
I don't care, let's see what happens.
- 34 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 49

Author Topic: The Paris Attacks  (Read 58248 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Paris Attacks
« Reply #660 on: December 01, 2015, 05:20:20 pm »

Now a bunch of anons are going to defect to Kurdistan in some bizarre negative image of the ISIS traitors to get that sweet, sweet Xwedoda.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 01, 2015, 05:25:02 pm »

And thus spoke Zarathustra.

Really? Zoroastrians? In the 21st century? Dayum.

It's not an extinct religion, theres like 200k of them according to the article, mostly in Iran and India. It was also the state religion of Persia for a very long time.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 01, 2015, 05:52:14 pm »

Here's hoping there isn't a corresponding rise in incest.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 01, 2015, 07:21:05 pm »

The curious rebirth of zoroastrianism in Iraqi Kurdistan

Gj Daesh you have sown the seeds for the saoshyant
So, Kurdistan provinces are being converted to Zoroastrianism while Syria/Iraq are overrun by Holy Warring heretics.

Man, Sunni Islamic Faith really needs to raise their Moral Authority.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 01, 2015, 07:32:39 pm »

So, Kurdistan provinces are being converted to Zoroastrianism while Syria/Iraq are overrun by Holy Warring heretics.

The saosyant thing sounds a bit like the second coming of jesus mixed with some heavy Hindu influences.

And possibly a touch of Bhuddist influences, even though it predates Bhuddist and is as ancient as Hinduism is.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 01, 2015, 08:37:12 pm »

Now a bunch of anons are going to defect to Kurdistan in some bizarre negative image of the ISIS traitors to get that sweet, sweet Xwedoda.

Fortunately for humanity at large, chances are good that they'll be going alone.

The saosyant thing sounds a bit like the second coming of jesus mixed with some heavy Hindu influences.

And possibly a touch of Bhuddist influences, even though it predates Bhuddist and is as ancient as Hinduism is.

You would think that they'd just become Shia or something though. Zoroastrianism's moral authority can't possibly be higher than 15%.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #666 on: December 01, 2015, 11:08:40 pm »

Welcome to Consumer Kings II

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 02, 2015, 06:43:34 am »

ALL HAIL OUR GLORIOUS MIROSLAV OVERLORDS.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 02, 2015, 08:58:18 am »

I know you guys would rather keep American politics out of this thread, but heres something of Trump that will definetly hit a nerve if he becomes President and actually carries it out:

(copied from AmeriPol thread)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/02/politics/donald-trump-terrorists-families/index.html

Uh, does he even realize that said families could very well be in Europe or even American citizens? His proposal makes negative zero sense since not all of them are Syrian or Iraqi, take the French attackers as an example, most of them were French or Belgian nationals.

Gotta be the most insane proposal yet coming out of his mouth.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #669 on: December 02, 2015, 10:16:22 am »

Makes sense. China already makes families disappear and Russia sends their most ruthless - but quite notably, neither countries openly advertises either actions. If you have some loudmouth like Trump screaming that he'll kill your families if you join ISIS you've got a major demoralizer to foreign fighters because nothing's secret; no one wants to join the losing side least of all if it results in the death of people they care about. Whether or not he goes about this or not doesn't really matter as he has a habit of vaguely promising action without detailing what it will be, thereby allowing voters to fill in the blanks with the most genius plan Trump didn't need to mention anything about.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 02, 2015, 12:27:44 pm »

If you're thinking it's those families' fault, and it only happens to muslim families, you would be mistaken. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/8daa6f6df67543d8ab3dbaa8ba52a20b/expert-20-percent-islamic-state-converts-were-christian

I've read articles about some parents who have gone to extraordinary lengths - going so far as to travel into ISIL territory - to try to convince their children to come home, only to return empty-handed. Desperate parents are not the problem. Maybe you want to say "See, if they'd raised their children as atheists..." but I've also read articles where parents and siblings described family members who went from boozing or womanizing etc, to being extremely religious, and their parents were initially relieved that religion had cured their personal problems, until they disappeared to join Daesh a short while later.

Targeting the family members is absurd and even saying that the policy exists will further alienate Muslims.

The vast majority of family members aren't to blame. It's also a violation of their rights (without probable cause, you can't issue a warrant, and "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated" is part of the fourth amendment).

Trump is bad news that just keeps getting worse.

P.S. Of course, apparently a lot of Iraqis think we're supporting Daesh, so... https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/iraqis-think-the-us-is-in-cahoots-with-isis-and-it-is-hurting-the-war/2015/12/01/d00968ec-9243-11e5-befa-99ceebcbb272_story.html
The Kurds still think we're great, so there's that.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 02, 2015, 12:34:39 pm »

Hey come on, Trump is the one blaming the families, not me, I was just making a point that not all of them are Syrian or Iraqi and that if he really wanted to kill the families, he'd also have to kill American citizens and the citizens of our European allies.

If I thought families were the problem, would I say it's the most insane thing he's said yet?

Also, how even do people think we're in cahoots with ISIS? O.o
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:37:17 pm by smjjames »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 02, 2015, 12:42:02 pm »

That was more in response to Loud Whispers, who sounded more enthusiastic about it.

Iranian propaganda, apparently?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 02, 2015, 12:45:52 pm »

The problem I have is that the US relies on it's European allies as much as they rely on the US. I really don't appreciate someone suggesting to murder my compatriots and being supported by more than ten percent of the society. I really don't. That's just a bad idea to alienate your friends allies. If Trump gets to power public opinion of the US will drop really hard, and the last thing the USA needs is nationalist parties sprouting up in Europe. There is already a growing support for them here and I at this point in history I don't think nationalism will do anyone any good.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #674 on: December 03, 2015, 11:21:01 am »

If you're thinking it's those families' fault, and it only happens to muslim families, you would be mistaken.
Don't care and nope
I've read articles about some parents who have gone to extraordinary lengths - going so far as to travel into ISIL territory - to try to convince their children to come home, only to return empty-handed. Desperate parents are not the problem. Maybe you want to say "See, if they'd raised their children as atheists..." but I've also read articles where parents and siblings described family members who went from boozing or womanizing etc, to being extremely religious, and their parents were initially relieved that religion had cured their personal problems, until they disappeared to join Daesh a short while later.
Yeah and I find there's some dark hilarity with progressive parents raising their kids to be tolerant progressives only to find their kids hop off to ISIS, tragic but amusing
Maybe you're not being tolerant enough? XD
Targeting the family members is absurd and even saying that the policy exists will further alienate Muslims.
No it won't because ISIS is not Islamic
The vast majority of family members aren't to blame. It's also a violation of their rights (without probable cause, you can't issue a warrant, and "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated" is part of the fourth amendment).
Yeah and we can't shred the passports of our blokes gone off to behead infidels; we're still going to kill as many of them as we can
Trump is bad news that just keeps getting worse.
Literally Hitler
P.S. Of course, apparently a lot of Iraqis think we're supporting Daesh, so... https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/iraqis-think-the-us-is-in-cahoots-with-isis-and-it-is-hurting-the-war/2015/12/01/d00968ec-9243-11e5-befa-99ceebcbb272_story.html
The Kurds still think we're great, so there's that.
I wonder why the Iraqis think that when the US keeps sending weapons to "moderates" which a few dodgy salesmen later ends up sent to cheeky jihad bandits
The problem I have is that the US relies on it's European allies as much as they rely on the US. I really don't appreciate someone suggesting to murder my compatriots and being supported by more than ten percent of the society. I really don't. That's just a bad idea to alienate your friends allies. If Trump gets to power public opinion of the US will drop really hard, and the last thing the USA needs is nationalist parties sprouting up in Europe. There is already a growing support for them here and I at this point in history I don't think nationalism will do anyone any good.
Not murdering your compatriots is very easy to do lol... Excepting joint military operations. Good God.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 49