Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this thread become the new European Politics thread?

Yes, we need one anyway.
- 17 (21.8%)
No, we should take that elsewhere and keep this thread as-is.
- 27 (34.6%)
I don't care, let's see what happens.
- 34 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49

Author Topic: The Paris Attacks  (Read 58304 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Paris Attacks
« Reply #405 on: November 18, 2015, 02:53:59 pm »

I don't know how legit this is, but a few days ago Wikileaks posted an Islamist blog they're claiming discusses "ISIS strategy in France." It talks about eliminating the "grayzone" of people who have not sided with Islam or against it (i.e. sided with ISIS or the "crusaders"). I haven't read it all, though I don't really know if I want to.

You don't need wikileaks to know that's obviously their intent, they want people to be scared and attack Muslims.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 18, 2015, 03:23:24 pm »

I don't know how legit this is, but a few days ago Wikileaks posted an Islamist blog they're claiming discusses "ISIS strategy in France." It talks about eliminating the "grayzone" of people who have not sided with Islam or against it (i.e. sided with ISIS or the "crusaders"). I haven't read it all, though I don't really know if I want to.

You don't need wikileaks to know that's obviously their intent, they want people to be scared and attack Muslims.

Yup, pretty much. And that kind of attacks radicalizes the Muslim population, and therefore expands the local Daesh recruitment base, which in turn enables them to carry out more attacks, and repeat the cycle.

Meanwhile, the French far-right is fueled by the growing xenophobia, proposes increasingly draconian measures, and gains ground versus the more sensible moderates.

It all paints a pretty terrible scenario, in which extremism on both sides flourishes.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 18, 2015, 04:49:01 pm »

European Commission has decided to revenge(as you can read on the paper itself) by... restricting legal gun ownership:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-6110_en.htm

So, to combat the easiness building home made bombs/IEDs and the easiness of getting of (already banned with EU)fully automatic weapons originating from former Warsaw Pact and Asia either illegally imported or that have always been here, they decide to ban all basically semi-autos(see how class B7 that will become A is defined), all semi-autos that look like they could be autos, restrict all licenses to 5 years yadda yadda.

Lets see how Finland, Estonia, Poland, Hungary & CO. will react but I'm not holding high hopes.  ::)

edit: remember to sign the petition here! https://www.change.org/p/council-of-the-european-union-eu-you-cannot-stop-terrorism-by-restricting-legal-gun-ownership
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:51:14 pm by Erkki »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 18, 2015, 05:00:08 pm »

European Commission has decided to revenge(as you can read on the paper itself) by... restricting legal gun ownership:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-6110_en.htm

So, to combat the easiness building home made bombs/IEDs and the easiness of getting of (already banned with EU)fully automatic weapons originating from former Warsaw Pact and Asia either illegally imported or that have always been here, they decide to ban all basically semi-autos(see how class B7 that will become A is defined), all semi-autos that look like they could be autos, restrict all licenses to 5 years yadda yadda.

Lets see how Finland, Estonia, Poland, Hungary & CO. will react but I'm not holding high hopes.  ::)

edit: remember to sign the petition here! https://www.change.org/p/council-of-the-european-union-eu-you-cannot-stop-terrorism-by-restricting-legal-gun-ownership

Signed the petition. Don't imagine it'll do much, but it's a stupid law and would actively affect me, but yeah.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 18, 2015, 05:02:14 pm »

A change.org petition? Why not one of these "official" one, where the Commission is forced to publicly answer after a million+ signature?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 18, 2015, 05:08:00 pm »

A change.org petition? Why not one of these "official" one, where the Commission is forced to publicly answer after a million+ signature?

Can you give us the link to it? I did look for anything official but I may have failed to googling. (also nothing in social media so far)

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 18, 2015, 05:15:12 pm »

There is a shooting in my neighborhood in bosnia. Two dead. The attacker is cornered in a house. It looks like he belongs to more radical vehabist know for contacts with al qaeda during the yugoslavian civil war

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 18, 2015, 05:40:50 pm »

What's a vehabist? Though I can certainly guess from what you're saying.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 18, 2015, 05:47:36 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabism

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 18, 2015, 05:57:05 pm »

I don't know about terrorism, but our system of massively restricting firearms here in the UK has been working pretty well for keeping gun deaths down.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 18, 2015, 06:00:36 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabism

You know, if it wasn't for the oil, we'd probably have dumped Saudi Arabia as an ally a long time ago :p

I don't know about terrorism, but our system of massively restricting firearms here in the UK has been working pretty well for keeping gun deaths down.

Only problem, none of those weapons used were obtained legally.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 18, 2015, 06:10:25 pm »

Same for the Netherlands. We have had very restrictive gun laws for decades now.. If it wasn't for Schengen.. Ever since we have open borders, shooting incidents have gone from "once every few years making national news if they happen" to "once every few weeks, not even front page news anymore".
Best way to stop gun related violence is to strictly control gun posession. Schengen destroyed that. Schengen = smuggler's paradise. At least the UK still has the Channel as a natural border.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 18, 2015, 06:13:48 pm »

I dunno, it's not like there is a Schengen country from which you can easily purhase gun AFAIK. I'd love to see a good study of where guns in Belgium come from actually.

Also, boki, where in Serbia? I was there only once (and only in Sarajevo), but I liked it. It's rightful EU clay!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 18, 2015, 06:15:20 pm »

It's a shame the terrorists used the illegal, smuggled automatic firearms, rather than the legal semi-auto and bolt action (+straight pull, etc) rifles and shotguns legal here, then, isn't it?

Certainly, there's no reason for civilians to own automatic firearms. I'm a British gun owner; I'd like to think I know a little about what I'm talking about.
The only legal semi-auto guns in the UK are shotguns and .22 lr calibre rifles. However, restricting that even further because "they look like automatic firearms!" is a absolutely stupid and pointless action, done for political points rather than for any benefit to the people.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 18, 2015, 06:24:13 pm »

I dunno, it's not like there is a Schengen country from which you can easily purhase gun AFAIK. I'd love to see a good study of where guns in Belgium come from actually.

Also, boki, where in Serbia? I was there only once (and only in Sarajevo), but I liked it. It's rightful EU clay!

Sarajevo is not in Serbia, but in Bosnia. The shooting is actually happening in Sarajevo. But the attacked killed himself in the house by the last report. Not sure what to comment on its rightful EU clay, as I am not a huge fan of EU with all the crap it did in the past and is doing now, and as bosnia will not be joining EU any time soon as the population is very divided there (its more likely that country will fall apart in two if the referendum happens in some time in the future). But it is very offtopic
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49