Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this thread become the new European Politics thread?

Yes, we need one anyway.
- 17 (21.8%)
No, we should take that elsewhere and keep this thread as-is.
- 27 (34.6%)
I don't care, let's see what happens.
- 34 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49

Author Topic: The Paris Attacks  (Read 58161 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: The Paris Attacks
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2015, 09:58:42 am »

Not a surprise, but Isis claims responsibility for attack
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/df273ef8-8ab4-11e5-a549-b89a1dfede9b.html#slide0

Also looks like one attacker was 'French extremist known to police'

In other news Poland:
Poland has announced it will no longer take refugees via an EU programme, in a deeply controversial statement which linked the crisis to the killings in Paris.

“The European Council’s decisions, which we criticised, on the relocation of refugees and immigrants to all EU countries are part of European law,” European affairs minister Konrad Szymanski wrote on right-leaning website wPolityce.pl.

“After the tragic events of Paris we do not see the political possibility of respecting them,” he said.
Source on the latter? I've been following the Polish radio coverage all goddamn day and I heard nothing of it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/nov/14/paris-terror-attacks-attackers-dead-mass-killing-live-updates

Scroll little down to see the news, as the page is moving fast

EDIT:

I think this is the source of that info
http://wpolityce.pl/swiat/271757-polska-musi-zachowac-pelna-kontrole-nad-swoimi-granicami-nad-polityka-azylowa-i-migracyjna
Oh my god, that guy looks like Mr. Bean.

Also, he already backpedalled into a much less strong claim that they will 'admit them once there is a guarantee of security'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2015, 09:59:57 am »

ISIS brutally murdering arabs and syrians while capturing nearly whole fucking countries and building medieval sharia state was not that much interesting for anyone, but some minor attack in Paris makes ISIS world enemy number 1, owwww this day we all are le french.
I don't get your point, i don't remember seeing you post on all the middle east threads we had before, so it would seem you are talking mostly about yourself. If i'm wrong and you did participate\lurk there you might have noticed a lot of people were interested in syria from the start, before it was all international and threatened europe and the western world. Now they proved to be a serious threat, so people are concerned for their own safety or their family's.

"Serious threat" is rather relative of course. France has roughly 665 non-terrorist murders a year and 3250 traffic fatalities.

Why do people fear the vastly lesser threat?

Not saying we shouldn't eradicate IS, which we should. IS basically kills this amount of people on a semi-daily basis in Iraq and Syria. I have been in favour of military intervention against IS from the start. But I would say the power these terrorists have in Western Europe is overrated.
People are used to murder. They're used to traffic accidents. But multiple, coordinated attacks? 130 people being killed in just hours? There's a very big difference.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2015, 10:43:26 am »

"Serious threat" is rather relative of course. France has roughly 665 non-terrorist murders a year
this year will register a significant increase in violent deaths then, plus plenty of annoying new security measures, and arguments for authoritarians and bigots. "serious threat" is relatively accurate.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2015, 11:00:02 am »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/11/14/456002589/isis-claims-responsibiilty-for-bloody-attack-on-paris

In its statement, ISIS says the attackers "targeted the capital of abominations and perversion, that carries the banner of the cross in Europe, Paris." It added that the attacking group had acted to "throw fear into the hearts of the Crusaders in their own land."

The group also said, "France and those who follow its path should know that they will remain the principal targets of the Islamic State, and that they will continue to smell the odor of death for having taken the head of the crusade and having insulted our Prophet."

also French President Francois Hollande accused the self-proclaimed Islamic State of staging the coordinated attacks, calling them an "act of war."

so hopefully we can all get off our buts and crush that festering abomination off the face of the earth until every last one is screaming in hell! can you tell i don't like ISIS?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2015, 11:11:39 am »

ISIS brutally murdering arabs and syrians while capturing nearly whole fucking countries and building medieval sharia state was not that much interesting for anyone, but some minor attack in Paris makes ISIS world enemy number 1, owwww this day we all are le french.
I don't get your point, i don't remember seeing you post on all the middle east threads we had before, so it would seem you are talking mostly about yourself. If i'm wrong and you did participate\lurk there you might have noticed a lot of people were interested in syria from the start, before it was all international and threatened europe and the western world. Now they proved to be a serious threat, so people are concerned for their own safety or their family's.

"Serious threat" is rather relative of course. France has roughly 665 non-terrorist murders a year and 3250 traffic fatalities.

Why do people fear the vastly lesser threat?

Not saying we shouldn't eradicate IS, which we should. IS basically kills this amount of people on a semi-daily basis in Iraq and Syria. I have been in favour of military intervention against IS from the start. But I would say the power these terrorists have in Western Europe is overrated.
People are used to murder. They're used to traffic accidents. But multiple, coordinated attacks? 130 people being killed in just hours? There's a very big difference.
Boiling a frog, essentially.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2015, 11:18:32 am »

so hopefully we can all get off our buts and crush that festering abomination off the face of the earth until every last one is screaming in hell! can you tell i don't like ISIS?

We can, if your government stops making shit and start thinking a little in advance what their action make in the world.
Make love not war

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2015, 11:19:17 am »

Well i'm quite sure what those idiots are planning.
Build up anti muslim attitude in the west.
People will be angry and likely treat the refugees like invaders.
Sooner or later (maybe after more attacks) Europeans will break and start forming lynch mobs beating up any muslim/arab they can see and setting mosques on fire.
The hammer of the law swung with anger hits more innocents than real perpetrators.
Angry hated and beat up refugees are approached by ISIS (or another terror organization) agents offering them a chance at payback for the injustice.
Congratulations the terror level in Europe increased.

It's terrible that the only way of rendering the EU safe i can think of would be either ethnic cleansing or a downright Orwellian government... both being somewhat illegal under international law and  abhorrent to anyone with a sense of ethics.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 11:25:44 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2015, 11:24:48 am »

Or perhaps we could try prevent public opinion from indiscriminately hating on Muslims or Arabs, to ensure those 'normal' people aren't driven into extremism, while still acknowledging things like problem neighborhoods or hate-preaching Imams and whatnot exist and taking decisive action against such issues. Not every Muslim is a terrorist, but they aren't all saints either, and ignoring a problem won't make it go away.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 11:26:48 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2015, 11:27:20 am »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2015, 11:38:33 am »

Or perhaps we could try prevent public opinion from indiscriminately hating on Muslims or Arabs, to ensure those 'normal' people aren't driven into extremism, while still acknowledging things like problem neighborhoods or hate-preaching Imams and whatnot exist and taking decisive action against such issues. Not every Muslim is a terrorist, but they aren't all saints either, and ignoring a problem won't make it go away.

Except if you lock up a hateful imam he will instantly become painted as a god loving saint and prisoner of conscience locked up and tortured those vile infidel dogs.
Soldiers were reporting muslims making martyrs out of failed attacks on outposts in Iraq by recording dying comrades with phones instead of actually giving htem any medical help.

I really don't think it's a problem we can solve with 21'st century thinking because we are against people with medieval mindsets.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2015, 11:44:15 am »

Except if you lock up a hateful imam he will instantly become painted as a god loving saint and prisoner of conscience locked up and tortured those vile infidel dogs.
Soldiers were reporting muslims making martyrs out of failed attacks on outposts in Iraq by recording dying comrades with phones instead of actually giving htem any medical help.

I really don't think it's a problem we can solve with 21'st century thinking because we are against people with medieval mindsets.

So, any ideas on how we can combat this? Short of an all out Crusade, which is what would happen if we reverted to a medieval mindset.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2015, 11:52:48 am »

So, any ideas on how we can combat this? Short of an all out Crusade, which is what would happen if we reverted to a medieval mindset.

Crusades were notably unsuccessful for the most part
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2015, 11:59:04 am »

I think "medieval" is a pretty poor description of movements that are so effective at using social media and bureaucracy. Islamism is very modern.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2015, 12:07:09 pm »

I think "medieval" is a pretty poor description of movements that are so effective at using social media and bureaucracy. Islamism is very modern.

Perhaps the best label to use is "totalitarian". There are a striking number of similarities with ideologies such as Stalinism and Nazism, with the notable exception that the propagated dogma is not one invented by the state, but an interpretation (if that is the right word) of an already existing ideology.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2015, 12:14:11 pm »

any ideas on how we can combat this?

Step interfering in the Middle East and let them sort out their own affairs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49