Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this thread become the new European Politics thread?

Yes, we need one anyway.
- 17 (21.8%)
No, we should take that elsewhere and keep this thread as-is.
- 27 (34.6%)
I don't care, let's see what happens.
- 34 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49

Author Topic: The Paris Attacks  (Read 58191 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Paris Attacks
« on: November 13, 2015, 10:55:25 pm »

We sort of need a thread, and since the EU one is locked, I made this one.

No discussion of refugees, please. This is not the time.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: The Paris Attacks
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 10:56:39 pm »

Does anyone have any decent source for updates? I'm having trouble deciphering what's going on.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 10:57:30 pm »

NYTimes seems decent. Le Monde, if you speak French. For German speakers, Die Zeit has a live blog.

E: NYTimes overview. They also have a live blog of some kind.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:59:24 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 10:58:26 pm »

CNN or BBC is good for english news sources, but even those in France are still trying to make total sense of what's going on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 11:01:28 pm »

ISIS supporters were professing support over the hastag #Parisburns, if you check it now it's all been flooded with prayers of support for the victims instead.

At least 120 confirmed dead with the attackers also killed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 11:04:53 pm »

I've not got a source, but apparently Al-Quaeda is also taking credit. Every terrorist organisation under the sun will be taking credit.
I have not seen ISIS take credit, though they have professed support and praise. Haven't seen Al-Qaeda take credit yet either.

153 confirmed dead

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 11:05:42 pm »

CNN has said that nobody has claimed responsibility, at least none with credible claims anyway.

Also, CNN's death toll is at 153, that could still go up or down as people are accounted for or die in the hospital.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 11:10:59 pm »

I'll leave a very depressed PTW here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 11:11:09 pm »

Early reports say there have been as many as six attacks around the city, but three major attacks have emerged as the most deadly:

• At least 100 hostages were taken in the Bataclan concert venue, during a performance by the American band, Eagles of Death Metal (the band is reported to be safe, although it is not clear whether all the crew managed to escape.)
  • At least 11 people died in shootings in two restaurants, Le Petit Cambodge and Le Carillon, which are right across the street from each other (it is not immediately clear which victims were in which establishments.)
  • Three explosions were reported at a bar outside the Stade de France, where thousands were gathered to watch France play Germany, and at least two are reported to be suicide bombings.
  • Shots were also fired outside La Belle Equipe bar, in the 11th arrondissement. Other reported attacks have not been confirmed.
  • Estimates of the total number of dead vary, but as of early Saturday local time authorities said they expect the total death toll to be about 120. At least 100 people were killed during the hostage situation inside the Bataclan theater, and witnesses reported several gunmen methodically executing hostage concert-goers. At least 11 are reported dead near the two restaurants, with many others injured. Police officials say at least 5 attackers may be dead across the city, and the head of Paris police said they now believe all the attackers are dead.

http://time.com/4112639/paris-attack-terror-bataclan-hollande/

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 11:31:39 pm »

Fuck.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 11:52:34 pm »

Today's Friday the 13th. The attacks were... probably during the 14th in France.

It's fascinating to think that people might have been killed in France for the effect the killings would have on a US audience.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 11:53:16 pm »

I've not got a source, but apparently Al-Quaeda is also taking credit. Every terrorist organisation under the sun will be taking credit.
Well let's just hope the jihadists start killing each other over the right to take credit for stuff.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 11:58:11 pm »

I was wrong, LordBucket. Seems that they were at 9-10PM in France local-time. So, still Friday the 13th there when this occurred.

Ahh. Ok. Was a fascinating possibility to consider.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 12:00:25 am »

Also fairly unlikely, given that there are reports of the terrorists citing French involvement in Syria as motive.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 12:02:29 am »

Well, this is awful.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49