Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38

Author Topic: A Game of Clones: Game Over, Town-Cult Draw!  (Read 51468 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia: A Game of Clones, Day 1.
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2015, 09:56:26 am »

flabort
Basically, if the scum aren't bright enough to come up with the same ideas on their own, they can attempt to use the strategies that we are attempting to come up with counter-strategies for.

So back to the question: Agree or Disagree?

Mmm... I'm going to say I lean toward disagree, will tell y'all why after you've answered Megas' question.

SaberTooth
SaberTooth: the implication being that you don't want attention on yourself. Why not, brah?

I do not want attention because lynch happy players like you might just get excited and kill a town for no apparent reason.

Now you seem worried that you're going to get lynched, yet I'm the only one actually voting for you... with ~52 hours left in D1? You seem awfully worried about dying.

PPE: well... two out of nine is still not a great deal, and FoU did admit their's is a pressure vote.

CW
At the risk of stating the obvious? Relieved. I take it as a sign of trust, or, at the very least, mercy. And gosh darn it, that just makes me feel all Hallmark-y inside. Maybe we could be pals before one of us inevitably dies or turns against one another.

Added Note : Random.org = yikes.

I don't trust myself to be able to choose people at random during the RVS, I end up picking someone like TDS as they tend to get a lot of pings from my scum-dar. I won't actually use it to choose someone to vote when it comes to crunch time, if that's what you're worried about ;)

Also lots of questions of the not-necessarily-stellar-scum-hunting variety:

How are you coping with the pacing of the game?

What do you think "playing defensively" entails?

What makes you think that town is weaker and requires playing more defensively than scum?

How do you think we could play offensively as town?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2015, 11:24:51 am »

SaberTooth: How does self-defensive paranoia help the town's cause?

I am paranoid about being lynched day one, as I consider it a lottery. As in, you lose most of the time.
If it's a lottery, it's a biased one- and it's possible to bias it enough... if the mafia(or cult leader) is obvious enough, you should try to bash the lynch into them as much as possible. See Urist McCoder in my first beginner's mafia.

Megggas: I decided to start playing mafia because it might be fun and enlightening. Why did you? Why are you trying to put attention onto me?

SaberTooth: the implication being that you don't want attention on yourself. Why not, brah?
I'd like to pull this to everybody's mind. For obvious reasons.

SaberToothTiger? A nice response to this would be nice. Pressure vote on.

True about the lottery.

To hector I already responded:

I do not want attention because lynch happy players like you might just get excited and kill a town for no apparent reason.

SaberTooth

Now you seem worried that you're going to get lynched, yet I'm the only one actually voting for you... with ~52 hours left in D1? You seem awfully worried about dying.

PPE: well... two out of nine is still not a great deal, and FoU did admit their's is a pressure vote.

I do. It is because I would prefer to enjoy the game before someone inevitably starts a massive witch hunt and starts pointing fingers at everyone else.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2015, 12:31:39 pm »

Very few of the Guardians actually know what their team mates look like without their masks on. It certainly makes it easier to safeguard against turncoats, but no one considered what to do if an enemy managed to get inside their most secure facility. Mistrust is heavy in the air, and for now the man in the tiger mask is being eyed suspiciously.

Votecount:
TheDarkStar (1): Megggas
Chromatic Wasp (1): TheDarkStar
SaberTooth Tiger (2): hector13, FallacyofUrist
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2015, 03:44:29 pm »

PFP

Well, SaberTooth, I guess I'll give you a little advice seeing as how this is probably your first game: 'round these parts, we don't tend to look kindly upon people who don't want to be in the spotlight, particularly when those people are also not asking questions of others.

While I appreciate your paranoia in regards to other people putting pressure upon you and voting you (indeed, this was something I only really got over in my most recent game) it is something you have to deal with. You are (probably) the only one that knows what your role is, and the other players need to figure that out by asking questions. You also need to do the same to them, though, else you're being supremely anti-town.

For the most part, the players on B12 are smart enough not to jump on a bandwagon just because someone says "Saber is obviously scum! String 'em up!" but they will if someone offers a thought out case supported with evidence (for example, "Saber has admitted to not wanting any attention and has done no scum hunting, so I believe they are more likely scum than not.")

Thus, you have some things to do. I would advise reading through the posts already made and questioning the posters on any bits that stick out to you. I personally prefer open-ended questions (what, how, why) though you may find a different method of questioning suits your play style better.

Finally, mafia pretty much is a massive witch-hunt. We know there are baddies among us, we just need to figure out who they are so we can kill 'em. Remember scum-hunting isn't just about finding scum, it's about finding town (though arguably a little less so in this game, given the mechanics)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2015, 04:26:52 pm »

"Saber is obviously scum! String 'em up!"

GASP
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2015, 05:08:05 pm »

fillipk:  Since this game has a cult instead of a mafia, do you think we'll have to scum hunt differently or roughly the same?
Just the same, honestly a cult is no different then the mafia when it comes to scum hunting
fillipk: Why are tntey's ally?
I neither confirm nor deny being the ally of Tntey as he has neither been proven town or scum at the moment
FillipK How does my answer to FoU make you feel?
Honestly, your answer didn't make me feel anything.  I will try to be more active in this game but it is somewhat limited due to rehearsals and school, usually I will be posting from my phone and will have small posts, but I will refrain from active lurking.
filipk: What kind of gambit are you trying to pull!?
The kind where I have a couple 7 hour rehearsals, need to do homework and sleep so I don't post much in this mafia game  ;D As for any actual gambits, time will tell.
fillipk: there are 3 players left, you being one of them, the other two being hector13 and TheDarkStar. TheDarkStar is trying to convince you that hector13 is the remaining cult or some villainous third party, and hector13 is doing likewise. Would TheDarkStar's experience in the game lead to indecision on your part?
No, because hesitation leads to doubt and such and such.  I would read back through their posts and their interactions and think, would this make since if they were town and then vote one of them.
filipk What kind of questions do you think a scum would ask D1 to dry and divert suspicion?
Just questions, honestly if the scum were trying to avoid suspicion they should just check their posts before they hit post to make sure they don't show that they have more knowledge then the town should have.

Okay questions done, next post will have a vote
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2015, 05:41:30 pm »

SabertoothTiger is this your first game of mafia? of bay12 mafia?

This game has strong superhero themes with the Guardians of the Earth and a satellite base so therefore it makes sense for everyone to be a power role.  There are 9 people in this game, 1 cult puts the cult at a disadvantage if what I think is true and we all have a power role, therefore there is either a third party or multiple cult to start with. 
flabort:
flabort:  Do you think that there are any third party factions in this game?

It's possible; the only "known" is that there is a cult, the rest is unknowns. Do I expect there to be? No, but regardless I still wouldn't be surprised
So you recognize it's possible, but you are kind of leaning toward there not being a third party.  What factors make you believe that a third party is a little bit unlikely?
1) Player count. There are only 9 players; assuming one player is the cult leader, then there could be either 0 or 1 starting scum to accompany them. That leaves 7 or 8 Non-Cult at start; with third parties, it lessens the amount of town, which hastens the rate at which town would lose and the game would end.
2) The opening text; "unconfirmed third parties have told this reported that someone operating under the name of the Clone Lord is responsible." This line leaves the possibility for third parties, but how would they know who the Clone Lord is? It seems more likely from a flavor perspective to me that it's one of the Clone Lord's own or even the Clone Lord himself who told the reporter such an egotistical name.
3) Gut instinct. I know that's not much to go on, but I have a feeling that if there should be one, there should be more than one.
4) The Mod, Deus Asmoth, is clever. He'd be very careful when balancing the game to make it equally likely for any one team or person to win; third parties are notoriously hard to balance for a chance at their victory, and always throw a monkey wrench into game balance.

So while I can't say it's impossible for there to be a third party, I do feel that there probably isn't.
Mostly for these reasons.  So if we are looking for multiple cult, probably with the ability to replace the cult leader since the name is "The clone Lord" it makes sense there would only be two to start.  I agree Sabertooth has been acting suspicious up to this point and should be pressured, but it could just be a newbie mistake, I know I made a lot of them.

On all the other conversations: to me all those conversations are about people asking each other questions and people answering them, nothing to suspicious so far.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2015, 05:54:04 pm »

How do you think DA balanced the game if all the townies are power roles, filipk?

Also, DA, silly question: are there hammers in this game?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2015, 05:59:18 pm »

Also, what kind of third party do you think there would be, if it existed?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2015, 06:09:25 pm »

Hammers are not in this game. You can vote to shorten if you feel it's necessary though.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2015, 06:16:16 pm »

flabort:
How much priority do you put on analyzing potential cult strategies and designing counter strategies relative to scum hunting?  Do you think that topic is only worth discussing during the RVS, or also during later times, such as Day 2 and beyond?

I'm going to bed now.  I've had a busy day.  I'll post more tomorrow.
About half as important as scum hunting, but increasing priority so that if we reach day 4 it becomes more important then.

Chromatic Wasp You are given the choice to be town or scum. Which do you choose?

This is a tricky question. Being town means that you're playing defensive on two fronts; defensive from the killers, and defensive from the suspicions of your peers.

Being scum means you play both the offensive and the defensive, so one would assume the increased power would mean an advantage; but you have to craft your lies very carefully as scum, more so than as town, where you can just be honest most of the time.

Because of that, honestly, town is the "weaker" role, but it's also a lot lower pressure, especially when you consider the majority is on your side.

So, I'd have to pick town.
This is interesting. Generally when I've asked this question, most players pick scum; I wouldn't say it's indicative of anything yet,  but I think I'll enjoy this game.

PFP, no time for other answers yet.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2015, 06:26:02 pm »

Alright, guys.  I'm back at a computer and ready to respond to any...

This game has strong superhero themes with the Guardians of the Earth and a satellite base so therefore it makes sense for everyone to be a power role.

Unvote.
Seriously, fillipk?  How does mentioning this idea help the town AT ALL?  Obviously, anyone who thinks this idea could be right would have a power role, and anyone who confidently disagrees or asserts that it is impossible would just be a vanilla townie.  This is information that the Cult Leader would love to hear.  Discussing this idea brings NO benefit to the town whatsoever.

Why shouldn't I believe that you are the cult leader using this comment to fish for power roles?
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2015, 06:29:37 pm »

Alright, guys.  I'm back at a computer and ready to respond to any...

This game has strong superhero themes with the Guardians of the Earth and a satellite base so therefore it makes sense for everyone to be a power role.

Unvote.
Seriously, fillipk?  How does mentioning this idea help the town AT ALL?  Obviously, anyone who thinks this idea could be right would have a power role, and anyone who confidently disagrees or asserts that it is impossible would just be a vanilla townie.  This is information that the Cult Leader would love to hear.  Discussing this idea brings NO benefit to the town whatsoever.

Why shouldn't I believe that you are the cult leader using this comment to fish for power roles?

Fuck off, Megas, stop stealing my thunder. I was just looking for filipk's game history before actually calling him out on it. Bitch :P

Unvote

Vote filipk

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2015, 06:30:56 pm »

EBWOP

As an addendum to Megas stuff, filipk, if town, has essentially just claimed a power role. Not good play for D1, I think.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2015, 06:40:11 pm »

Fuck off, Megas, stop stealing my thunder. I was just looking for filipk's game history before actually calling him out on it. Bitch :P

Ahh, good.  Lol, based on your earlier response to him, I thought that you had fallen for his ploy. :P
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38