Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Egregore: Religion Builder [SG + RTD] Now recruiting Priests!  (Read 2722 times)

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Egregore: Religion Builder [SG + RTD] Now recruiting Priests!
« on: November 01, 2015, 12:27:56 pm »

Scenario: The year 2015, The post-modern age has come to maturity. Atheism and Nihilism of the 20th Century has given way to New Age ideas of spirituality, liberalism and tolerance. The world is a ripe breeding ground for New Gods, and opportunities abound for those who would make them. We are the seed of one such God that wants to come into being.

All men are Gods. And when men pour forth their strength in unity and worship, a God of the group-mind is created, with its own individuality, consciousness and power. It is a separate entity from its creators, though drawing its life-force from them. Consciousness in the most basic sense is the ability to react. But in many cases, the egregores built by mankind are sentient and intelligent. Most are at least capable of acting in self-preservation. Egregores or the Gods are also a focussing point of the spiritual energies of the group, and through its worship or feeding can accumulate power that can be brought objectively into manifestation.

Thus when men build a religion, it often matters not what truth or "real" entities there are behind it. As men believe, thus it is so.

Qualities of our religion:

Alignment/ideology: For or Against God? All out for ourselves? Any affiliations with existing ideologies? What is the purpose or goals of our religion? Do we seek world peace? World destruction? Salvation of all men? Health and wealth? Going to heaven? World Domination?

Hierarchy: How are the priesthood and the ordinary followers organised? Are there systems of advancements or graduated levels of attainment?
e.g. brothers < deacons < elders // novices < lay priests < priests < bishops < primates/archbishops/patriarchs < cardinals < the Pope
Another example: Entered Apprentices < Fellowcrafts < Master Masons < Royal Arch Masons, etc.

Funding: Many Modern religions recieve tithes from their followers. But it was not uncommon for religions to recieve entire estates or even cities for their use.

Demographics: Does the religion appeal to certain types of men? The rich the poor? The adventurous? The well educated?

Any other notes for our doctrines and practices:

Priest Stats:

Assumptions - Initiates are well versed in every field of knowledge known to mankind. While specialization isn't necessary, one ought to know the outline of each discipline and their method of study. The initiate should be able to find any piece of information he needs that he doesn't already have.

Characters are also expected to be in prime physical health and fitness if they have made any progress in combatives or sorcery.

Oratory - Speaking skills and charisma. Used to charm the masses and just about anybody. Resistance to oratory skills may increase with intelligence and magickal strength. At the higher levels, this includes the finer points of social etiquette and the ability to move comfortably in high places.

Combatives
- "Why use the force when a lightsaber is much faster." Advanced skills and knowledge on the use of violent force in the physical plane. Bonuses to both personal combat and to the combat effectiveness of any troops under the character's direct control.

Bureaucracy - Organizational and management skills. Buffs any businesses under the character's direct control. Also affects skills at implementing top-down policies and directives to subordinates.

Ceremonial Magick (High Magick) - The art of ritual or ceremonial magick. Mostly through the techniques of invocation and evocation. A real-world religion example of ceremonial magick would be the Eucharist and other Christian sacraments.

Sorcery ("Low" Magick) - The art and science of directly manipulating lower astral, etheric and physical energies. Working with lower elemental entities is still classified as "low" magick. The average untrained human generates about 20 watts of power. It is one thing to direct 20 watts to rapidly seal a wound, and another to throw fireballs out of your arse. Skill at low magick also allows one to defend against its techniques. Some real world examples include things like Chi-Kung and energy-based martial arts. In the western tradition, the practice of deep hypnosis, and mental suggestion can be heavily augmented with "lower" energies.

Factions we may face in the game:

Political forces: Anyone with any disagreement with what our created religion believes in. Liberal ideologies will piss off conservatives. Ideologies that urge for charity towards the poor will offend the proud. If you stand for anything, you will make enemies.

Religious groups: Established and entrenched religions will resist any new kids on the block. Some religions are exclusive, and will persecute anyone who is not them, regardless of any similarities in beliefs. Many mainstream religions have their own secret orders of magicians, who if pressed, may build up inquisitorial forces against us.

Occult orders: Groups of white or black magicians who, if you make enough waves, may take notice of you. Some may be packing powerful inquisitorial orders.

Hidden fun stuff: *Higher-Order* Non-human entities who decide to take an interest in you, for better or worse.

Character creation: Distribute 5 points linearly into
Oratory
Combatives
Bureaucracy
Ceremonial Magick
Sorcery

Each starting stat can't be more than 3 or less than -3. You can take negative levels to boost other areas. There are no level ups unless your priest dies. Then he/she *may* be reborn with more stats.

Assets: You start with nothing except for what you can wear, carry or stuff in your pockets. Your character has volunteered to leave everything behind and become a full-time priest of whatever mickey mouse outfit of a religion we're creating.
If you claim to be a billionaire of sorts in your mundane life, you can carry up to 10,000 dollars of cash in small bills in your pockets. Just don't get mugged on your way out.

Weapons, property and other items can be acquired at real world prices or at blackmarket prices in weapon-restricted countries.

Whoever writes the best character backstory gets to be the first prophet of the religion! The other players and spectators can still give suggestions for his decisions.

I'll take unlimited characters at this point. Aiming for about 20.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:26:36 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
Re: Egregore: Religion Builder [SG + RTD] Now recruiting Priests!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 06:04:25 pm »

A suggestion for our choice of religion.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 06:48:07 pm »

A suggestion for our choice of religion.
Yep, +1.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 06:51:50 pm »

The modern Church of Armok still needs priests to start...
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Nunzillor

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 08:17:23 pm »

PTW, maybe play if I can think of anything decent.
Edit: maybe it'd fare better on the RTD board?
Edit 2: well, I have something half decent, and that's better than no decency at all, don't you think?

Spoiler: Father Abraham John (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:39:18 pm by Nunzillor »

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 08:19:57 pm »

Spoiler: Urist McPriest (click to show/hide)

Hopefully we get other character sheets.

+1
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:16:48 pm by Ama »

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 08:37:54 pm »

Spoiler: Urist McPriest (click to show/hide)

Hopefully we get other character sheets.

+1

The max starting skill is 3. Even with the negative levels.

Also, putting a 3 in combat would imply your character being some sort of super soldier.

Having negative magick skills would also make you a liability in religious ceremonies - maybe you sneeze during a human sacrifice causing the other priests to slip up. Botched rituals can lead to !fun!

I'll bug the ER people to play.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:14:33 pm by Aigre Excalibur »

Nunzillor

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 10:07:34 pm »

I've posted a sheet, such as it is.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 10:33:39 pm »

Father Abraham John looks good.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 10:38:29 pm »

Reserved

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 10:55:37 pm »

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 12:39:30 am »

I will entertain this snowflake. Most occult sites are deliberately filled with what we call smokes and blinds to throw people like Joshua off and keep lay researchers running in circles. Perfect health is also usually a requirement to work with energies dealt with in Low Magick. There is no such thing as a high intellect, low physique magician.

Let's just assume that he's a highly developed individual who somehow managed to find the necessary information on his own. And that his rituals to Armok have filled him with the power needed to do his work.

Direct Pyromancy is inefficient. Putting a number on his skills, let's say he has a strength that is 3 standard deviations away from the norm, and can channel roughly 2 kilowatts of energy - equivalent to about 100 men, or the power of an expensive medium sized home-stereo that can cause really nasty fires. It's sufficient to burn someone's pants off, but sustaining that level of energy long enough for him to be dangerous would put him in bed for a week and would have a high-chance of injuring him. He could mitigate or lessen the risks by finding an external power-source, but a man with a handgun would still be a better killer than a pyromaniac trying to channel physical fire directly from the astral plane.

There are several things a practical magician could do with (weaponized) fire, most of which involve working with tools we already have on the physical plane. He could consecrate firebombs and flamethrowers for potency, using ritual to focus his energies and those of his followers. While raw energy output even for trained magicians is relatively low (compared to say, machine guns), they would look into techniques for storing and building up these energies like a capacitor storing charge. One way he could work with magickal fires directly with relatively more efficiency is to build astral fires around the things that need combustion, and then wait for the manifestation to occur. (It usually takes weeks, and will draw energy from him until it comes into full manifestation and is then extinguished.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:43:34 am by Aigre Excalibur »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 03:55:25 am »

Spoiler: Kutam (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:16:31 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 06:53:07 am »

[spoiler:Urist Mc Friend]
Backstory: Urist is a mysterious Vietnam vet. In Vietnam, he sacrificed people to the blood God armok. When he got back, he recruited druggies and former vets. Sometimes sacrificing them in the name of Armok.

Stats
Combat: 3
Oratory: 1
Bureacrat: -2
High Magik: 1
Low Magik: 2

Assist
Soldier and druggie followers
A small arsenal of weapons
A completed "Armok and you" book
[/spoiler]
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 07:59:41 am »

Spoiler: Kutam (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Urist Mc Friend (click to show/hide)

Both Characters accepted. You don't start with any followers though.
Pages: [1] 2 3