Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

Author Topic: Thoughts on Transhumanism  (Read 22046 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Transhumanism
« Reply #330 on: March 25, 2016, 04:23:48 pm »

It all hinges on continuity of consciousness. If your mind is continually functioning on some level (because no, being asleep is not the same thing as being dead), upload-you is the same person. If it's a direct transfer of your mind in the sense of your mind being turned off in your biological brain and being turned back on in your mechanical brain, upload-you is the same person (otherwise we'd not be treating people who died and were revived after dead as the same person). If you're forked, there are now two independent copies of you who are distinct people by virtue of their time apart. If your consciousness is split between multiple bodies, there's just one you. If you're forked and the forks are later recombined, there's one you who is still functionally both the original you and each of the fork-yous.

If your mind is copied and activated in a new body, that's not you, regardless of whether the original you is still around. Hence why teleporters that work by destroying your body and reassembling it on the far side are shady. It's not a problem as long as you're okay with people being killed and replaced by someone who is indistinguishable from them, natch.

That's my short summary, anyways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 25, 2016, 04:32:10 pm »

See the other 25 pages of this thread for the answer to that question.

Yeah, kinda talked those questions as far as we reasonably could.  Might as well start on the new topic that has been brought up and edited into the OP.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 25, 2016, 04:40:23 pm »

Okay. Stereotypical new topics: Biological immortality. If you could, would you? What if it was perfect immortality where you could not die permanently of any causes and would persist even after the death of the universe?

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 25, 2016, 04:46:21 pm »

That's pretty much my own stance. There's always new experiences to be had, and if they eventually run out (peak memes top kek) you still have your own mind.

3. Run Resize Enable

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 25, 2016, 06:20:57 pm »

Okay. Stereotypical new topics: Biological immortality. If you could, would you? What if it was perfect immortality where you could not die permanently of any causes and would persist even after the death of the universe?
I would say yes to biological immortality in a heartbeat. There would be interesting things to do for as long as civilization lasts, and I highly doubt that I would get bored. Worst case scenario I can simply commit suicide.

No on true immortality however. Being stuck in a lightless, soundless and lifeless (aside from you) universe for trillions (quadrillions?) of years wouldn't be worth it.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 25, 2016, 07:01:40 pm »

I would say yes to biological immortality in a heartbeat. There would be interesting things to do for as long as civilization lasts, and I highly doubt that I would get bored. Worst case scenario I can simply commit suicide.

No on true immortality however. Being stuck in a lightless, soundless and lifeless (aside from you) universe for trillions (quadrillions?) of years wouldn't be worth it.

agreed.

also, quadrillions of years would be peanuts compared to the boundless ocean of infinity.  infinity is really scary and I have no intention of challenging it without a way out.
If I was stuck in the spaceless void in eternal life, I guess the only thing which could keep me sort of sane would be creating new universes and see what happens.
except, even if I had such great power, the number of meaningully different universes  I could create is possibly finite. If it is finite, all my godly creation spree is still nothing more than the first instantaneous blink of eternity.
Did I mention that infinity is big?
At that point perhaps I would create intelligent life with the purpose of dedicating a whole universe to find a way to undo my True Immortality(tm). which is actually a short story by some guy which I can't remember.

but standard biological immortality? no aging, no illness, possibly extremely resilient to damage? sign me up for that. but I think i'll be content with dying with the universe should it come to that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #336 on: March 25, 2016, 07:17:20 pm »

Aw yeah biological immortality would be awesome, I would actually have enough time (infinite) to be able to understand the imcomprehensible

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 25, 2016, 07:26:31 pm »

Aw yeah biological immortality would be awesome, I would actually have enough time (infinite) to be able to understand the imcomprehensible
Unlikely. There is a hard limit on what a human can comprehend. Unless you alter your mental capacity (which I fully expect humanity to be capable of doing, but is still a distinctly different issue), you probably won't ever be any better in math and science then someone with a PHD in them even if you study for a million years.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 25, 2016, 08:17:05 pm »

Unlikely. There is a hard limit on what a human can comprehend. Unless you alter your mental capacity (which I fully expect humanity to be capable of doing, but is still a distinctly different issue), you probably won't ever be any better in math and science then someone with a PHD in them even if you study for a million years.
God damn if you wouldn't have seniority from hell, though. Silly little mortals who think being tenured for sixty years means something to the likes of UR-PROFESSOR, BASTION OF TIME.

3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #339 on: March 25, 2016, 08:21:06 pm »

Hey, with infinite years you may not be able to comprehend the incomprehensible but you'll get damn near close. You'll be like some wrinkly old aristotle whatever weird offshoots of homosapiens would come to for wisdom, and it would be wisdom because the language you'd be speaking would be like arcane wise sounding latin to them and everyone appreciates a good ol immortal

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 25, 2016, 09:00:07 pm »

Hey, with infinite years you may not be able to comprehend the incomprehensible but you'll get damn near close. You'll be like some wrinkly old aristotle whatever weird offshoots of homosapiens would come to for wisdom, and it would be wisdom because the language you'd be speaking would be like arcane wise sounding latin to them and everyone appreciates a good ol immortal

"ey bruv you got me dosh for the month, i swer on me mum ill rek u if u don't m8"

"Yes, honored ancestor, this moon-cycle's tribute is of the usual standard."

kek

3. Run Resize Enable

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 25, 2016, 09:18:11 pm »

I think it would be interesting to be perfectly immortal, if you were omnipresent/omniscient. On the one hand, that would change you into something that is definetely not human, no matter which you choose. On the other, it would be interesting to first be omnipresent and then omniscient, because then you would be able to understand just how big of a difference that actually is.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #342 on: March 31, 2016, 05:30:23 pm »

"ey bruv you got me dosh for the month, i swer on me mum ill rek u if u don't m8"

"Yes, honored ancestor, this moon-cycle's tribute is of the usual standard."

kek

"What does the supreme ancestor say we should do?"

"He says pack it in you're being a bunch of numpty mongs."

"Truly, words to live for."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 02, 2016, 01:36:25 am »

Assuming it locked my biological age to roughly where I was when I became immortal, then hell yes I'd take biological immortality in a heartbeat. If I were to continue becoming decrepit then I would have to think on it for a while.

I'm a little more iffy on the subject of true immortality, but I would probably accept it if given some time to think on it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 02, 2016, 02:20:34 am »

Biological immortality would be pretty nifty.  Can't even imagine the side effects of constantly growing non-self deleting cells would be however.  Face of Boe anyone?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24