Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: Thoughts on Transhumanism  (Read 22069 times)

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Technological Immortality
« Reply #315 on: March 13, 2016, 05:45:22 am »

It is possible in this universe, alas it would be a simple possession with your mental propertys, you and your consiousness will not transfer to said device. It will believe it will be you and alive. If the process kills you then sure their would be an immortal version of you but you will be dead.
I have pesonally experienced death/very close experience and your body is considered your one possession to do with what you will, this item that has your mortal essence inserted into it is not owned by 'you' and will never become you, your body, brain or any illusion that you believe in. I do not condone in this transferance in information as it will further your sciences.
The warm wet sickly dark embrace of death will shake off any of your terrors and pull you into a warmth of nothingness renewal and tension raveled
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 13, 2016, 05:47:57 am »

That's the problem with "replication" type uploads.

"Integration until no original remains" method would still be "you", in as much as the "you" that exists now is the same you that existed yesterday. (the argument that they are not the same CAN be made.)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 13, 2016, 08:38:59 am »

the argument that they are not the same CAN be made.
That's actually quite a brilliant point. For all you know, you *are* a 'copy' of the you that went to sleep last night, deluded into thinking you are the original all along because you copied all memories up till that point.

How do you know you aren't? Because you remember dreaming? So would a perfect copy.

Or even imperfect - you forget things, you could construe this as copying fidelity errors. This is purely a philosophical, not (necessarily) biologically sound, mental exercise, since memory is more complex; but it's conceivable.

So perhaps a better question is what makes you feel you're you.

...or you can just flip off these ethical questions and mosey on over here to the Biological Immortality approach. We have cookies. :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 13, 2016, 10:20:31 am »

Good to know that I'm not alone on this crazy endeavor to cheat Death. Specializing in AI development; you?
so

a competitor appears
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2016, 10:25:22 am »

Competition is a foolish notion.

Cooperation results in superior outcomes for all participants.

We all share the same universe-- The chances of finding workable solutions to the problems it poses increases exponentially, the more minds are put to the task.  The free exchange of information is very much integral to the very explosive rate of technological advance of this latter half century.

Competition indeed.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 13, 2016, 10:29:26 am »

that's a lot of words

it was a silly way of saying "me too", not an earnest expression of competitive intent - sorry for the confusion, i know this thread does get awfully into semantics
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 13, 2016, 10:35:57 am »

True, I read a bit more in than should have been.

IMO, there is waaaaay too much competition in academia. Rather than having the "everyone profits, YAY!" view, the materialistic necessity of being the one to win the grant money wins out, and people connive, steal pre-release data and publish first, secretly and jealously guard data and methods-- you name it.

Take for instance, the reaction in academia to Grigori Perelman's solving of the Poincare conjecture.  He refused the Field's medal, and the prize money, because he felt the contribution to mathematics *WAS* the reward.  For his generosity, he was ridiculed and insulted through much of academia.

the condescending tone was more in derision of this fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori_Perelman

In reality, I feel that science and mathematics NEEDS more people like Perelman.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:49:41 am by wierd »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Transhumanism
« Reply #322 on: March 25, 2016, 12:19:36 pm »

Things have pretty much reached as far as they apparently are going to, from what I can tell from conversation dying down.  How about a bit more general of a question.  If pieces of technology were developed to augment sight, strength, speed, lifespan, and the such, would you utilize them?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2016, 12:20:55 pm »

Assuming the downsides and risks of these technologies are less to me then what I gain from them. Sure.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2016, 01:00:01 pm »

I already wear glasses. And use power tools. And drive a car. And take medicines to treat illness.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:20:44 pm by Bauglir »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2016, 01:45:06 pm »

Interesting. Hadn't seen this before.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 25, 2016, 01:59:38 pm »

As Bauglir said, we've been using technology to augment our natural capabilities since the first time a pre-Homo sapiens sapiens individual sharpened a stick or rock.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 25, 2016, 02:15:53 pm »

As Bauglir said, we've been using technology to augment our natural capabilities since the first time a pre-Homo sapiens sapiens individual sharpened a stick or rock.

Perhaps I should have clarified further.  The type of augmentation I am referring to more akin to the mechanical augmentations of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Metal Gear Solid's cyborgs or the biological augmentations akin to Enemy Within's MELD and the Palladium RPG Splicers.  Stuff like additional eyes, modified organ sizes, mechanical arms that are able to transform the hand into different tools, and other stuff that questions the line of 'what is human?'
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 25, 2016, 02:37:19 pm »

I don't mind being not human as I don't want children, so whatever.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 25, 2016, 02:40:38 pm »

If brain uploading doesn't destroy your organic mind, and merely creates a copy of your thoughts, and then you upload and activate its 'identical-to-the-basis-of-its-thoughtcopy' receptacle, how would you feel, if both you and your copy was alive and active at the same time?

Would both of you be the same you, or would there now be two instances of you that have to be treated differently? At which point would you stop being you, and the robot start being you?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24