Advanced search  

Poll

Herp?

Derp!
Derp!
Derp!
Derp!

Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1328

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...  (Read 916354 times)

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...
« Reply #12165 on: March 19, 2016, 02:07:14 am »

Oh, right. Sorry.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: March 19, 2016, 02:17:55 am »

So, having a bad few days. Not enough to make me depressed mind you all, but enough to occupy most of my time. :/

@Elf, I defer to your judgement on Digital's Character, So if You accept him, I also accept him. For anything else, use your best judgement :/

@RWBY People, I'll try to wrap up the plot soon. It shouldn't take much to do. I apologize in advance for trapping you all on remnant for so long :P
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: March 19, 2016, 04:01:03 am »

Define what 'a little bit stronger' for her Gargoyle perk is. Otherwise, specify that Flame of Passion can't inflict both statuses at once with one attack (that would be ridiculous) and we should be good, more or less.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: March 19, 2016, 04:07:12 am »

Elf: It says "Subtract 1d6-1 damage from each hit taken."

Digital: At a glance, you need to have another perk since they're Level 6, since everyone gains another one at Level 5. Street Fighter really ought to be buffed, you get perks once every five levels so blowing one on a measly and static bonus of +1 is ill advised, at the very least make it scale with level or something. Major-turned-minor Demon should be a +4, not +2 (not recommended) or a 1.4x multiplier (recommended).

More critique later.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12169 on: March 19, 2016, 04:09:48 am »

Also, this. You may want to change your flat stat bonuses to a multiplier; that way, they scale with levels.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: March 19, 2016, 04:16:20 am »

Hold for a bit, I'll grab a bunch of relevant precedents, critiques, and (hopefully) ideas for everything.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12171 on: March 19, 2016, 04:26:04 am »

Knowing Emp, I'll probably end up vetoing half of them, so don't hold your breath. :P

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: March 19, 2016, 05:25:44 am »

Knowing Emp, I'll probably end up vetoing half of them, so don't hold your breath. :P
That might just be because so far you've refused to my ever-growing list of possible Actions for Alanis :P

But yeah, still better to be rejected for being overpowered than to be accepted and underpowered. Because in the former case you can fix that immediately, in the latter case you might not even know until you're halfway through a battle and contributing negligibly.

Street Fighter
Again, like I said, you get a Perk every five Levels, so a +1 is an utter waste of a Perk slot, let alone a conditional +1. I would recommend a boost that is proportional to their primary attack stat or level if you want it to be geared towards hard-hitting single attacks. Alternatively, pick up a second hit at half power as a free action, a bonus point to two stats with each Level-Up, or a possibility of raising damage by another stat. Either way the fact that they start at Level 6 means that all of the alternatives would outclass its current form from the get go.
Precedent(Chryssa, Aura Strength: +4 to all STR Rolls)
Precedent(Aesford, Trash Talk: Debuff random combat stat on hit)
Precedent(Anna, Stronger Than She Looks, Extra +1 STR and +1 CON per level)
Precedent(Motya, Optimized Biology, Extra +1 STR and +1 CON per level)
Precedent(Alice, Intellectual, Extra +1 SYN and +1 INT per level)
Precedent(Ashley, Ever Stronger, Extra +1 STR per level)
Precedent(Ashley, Swift, Basic Attack at 0.5x Damage as a Free Action)
Precedent(Idou, Technique Over Might, Chance of adding DEX to Melee Damage Rolls)

Major-Turned-Minor Demon
Again, far too weak. I'd recommend something like Veteran Hero if you want to keep it in the same vein, or you could make it have a chance to inflict burn or pierce RES via hellfire or amplify the weapon's stat boosts. Something along those lines, again you want your Perks to either scale, or have an effect that won't even become obsolete.
Precedent(Mio, Veteran Hero: 1.4x Damage for Hero Weapons)
Precedent(Chryssa, Aura Strength: +4 to all STR Rolls)
Precedent(Anna, Aura Chaneling: +4 for Hunter Weapons)

Gargoyle
Again, please no static numbers. This has an average damage reduction of 2.5, not exactly high. With a perk that grants bonus points on Level-Up, you'd have an effective damage reduction of twice that thanks to the extra RES.
Precedent(Anna, Stronger Than She Looks, Extra +1 STR and +1 CON per level)
Precedent(Motya, Optimized Biology, Extra +1 STR and +1 CON per level)

Suggestive Stare
Well, firstly, you must know that a great deal of the fights are Boss Battles, and most bosses are resistant, if not outright immune to Stun-like effects. Judging by 6AR-1025's Force Push dealing full damage with the stun, and the fact that Ringo's Basic Defend action deals reduced damage, with free movement, and is a basic action to boot, you could certainly buff it.
Precedent(Chizuru, Ox God’s Curse: 0.7x Damage, 1 turn stun on hit, Cannot be used twice in a roll on the same target)
Precedent(Ringo, Basic Defend: 1 turn stun, 0.5x Ranged Damage, Free Movement)
Precedent(Chryssa, Propulsion Attack: 1 turn stun, Might still do damage)
Precedent(6AR-1025, Force Push: 1 turn stun, Full damage)
Precedent(Garnt, Parry: 1 turn stun, Allows a followup attack with 2x Damage)

Succubus
Rest assured a paltry +1 to damage against a specific group of foes (omnicidal eldritch horrors aren't well-known for their libidos) is not going to be worth much. Not unless it takes place after damage calculations and they have a means to perform enough attacks a turn to make it worthwhile. Which they do not. Might want to just give their presence/attacks a chance to inflict some sort of Charm status ailment, or for their attacks to just partially pierce or have a chance to debuff RES or something. The only real use I see right now is for Aesford to Trick Play it to Shirogane so that Ultimate Art, Red Carnival and its one hundred hits deals up to an extra 100 damage. If you want to keep it similar, go for 1.5x Damage.
Precedent(Alria, Greedy: 1.5x Damage against foes who look like they're wealthy or have good loot)

Change Form
Not aware of any precedents for this. Arguably dual forms might be too powerful, and should take up a Perk slot instead. It's not like Street Fighter is a currently powerful enough to warrant occupying a Perk slot anyway. My advice would be to make a Perk that grants the dual forms and gives this as a result, that way you have one extra Action before even allocating your 10 Action Points. Plus you might be able to use that to bargain for extra effects on upgrading Change Form to start giving minor boosts. As well as power boosts for your Actions as they may only be used in a specific form.

Powder Bomb
Not sure if we've had any dual status ailment Actions before. Blind's miss chance will probably have a greater effect than bleeding though. You could probably get away with making it an Area of Effect attack, seeing as that doesn't come up too often anyway, so you might as well grab that property if the GMs are willing.

Strange Vial
Assuming that Ian's Charm works on himself (mechanically it might, even though it makes utterly no sense for it to flavor-wise) then you might want to buff it. Because Charm can also debuff foes. Perhaps make it more potent or give it a 1-2 Turn buff or bonus in addition to the current indefinite buff.
Precedent(Ian, Charm: +3 SYN to Ally or -3 RES to Foe)

My recommendation would to be to look at the sheets of the GMPCs (Mio, Penelope, Tourmaline, and Shirogane), Motya, and Chryssa. Because the GMs are going to stick to what is balanced (while quite a few PCs are under-powered) while Motya is a tried and tested Healer-Tank Hybrid, and Chryssa has been proven to be an effective Glass Cannon.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:31:04 am by Empiricist »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12173 on: March 19, 2016, 05:39:29 am »

Change Form has a precedent in the form of Mankai, which is technically a form change that changes Mio's stats (doubles her offensive stats) and gives her a new moveset (all of her old moves are changed). However, it also counts as a Super Mode, so you may need to find a different set.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: March 19, 2016, 05:59:20 am »

Not quite, Mankai upgrades all her actions and boosts her stats. In this case, some stats are higher, some are lower, and actions aren't so much upgraded so much as they are replaced by new actions entirely. There's no real precedent as far as I can tell, other than Tourmaline being a fusion, which still isn't quite the same.

You see? This is really wherein the problem lies in trying to balance all of this, not that there are any real solutions of course. They'll always be something that you didn't think of, that someone will want to use, and in the end with no proper precedent it'll somewhat broken, be it from being less than useful, or being relatively overpowered.

What can I say? You can never really tell what your players are going to do.

Perhaps, they'll just forget about your game and stop posting. Perhaps.
Or perhaps they won't do as they're told, choosing to weave their own trainwreck from the burning ruins of your premise. Also possible.
Perhaps when power lies in unity, they'll segregate, bickering amongst themselves, having their own little Cold War, complete with arms races and The Departed style espionage, except where the double agents turn out to be the same person. Might sound odd, but it's happened before.
Perhaps they will take an interest, maybe not in what you expected them to, but still an interest in the game.
The interest becomes an investment.
The investment becomes a passion.
They'll start to bear your cross with you, manage the game in your stead, draw artwork, pay to show their support, even petition so that your game leaves its mark.
Perhaps they liked what you thought was a silly little game more than you knew.
Perhaps they'll contact you one day, tell you what fun you had, and once again you'll run it anew.
Or perhaps, they'll go on to make their own games, ones in the image of the original, Byzantine masses ultimately looked down upon as cesspools or a war-torn failed states, but enjoyed but the majority of those in it, nonetheless. Ones that will sprout followups of their own. Ones that continue until this day. Perhaps they'll form friendships of sorts, get to know each other. Perhaps some will look back with contempt and disillusion, while others clash with one other without end, yet always rushing to one another's aid for those events in the real-world that truly matter, be it with a few words in the dead of the night, or entire speeches during what may feel to be another's darkest hour. Perhaps your game's legacy will live on, even to this day, years from those days that seem oh so long ago, persisting even without you to oversee it.
Or perhaps they'll just run around in their underwear, breaking into stores and calling themselves The Ladlemonger.

Who knows? Players are a strange bunch :P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:28:22 am by Empiricist »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12175 on: March 19, 2016, 06:28:57 am »

why

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12176 on: March 19, 2016, 06:29:58 am »

someone's been playing fallen london
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12179 on: March 19, 2016, 06:32:22 am »

Please be more specific.
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1328