Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The perfect final DF  (Read 2436 times)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The perfect final DF
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 03:21:56 pm »

I think Toady's mentioned you'll be able to turn it off if you don't like it.

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 03:37:00 pm »

have no poverty or create slums, crime, beggars and so on; let all classes intermingle or separate your fortress into several zones
These are micro-scale details. Macro economy would be achieved when it's possible to flood the entire world's supply of [trade good X] with your brand. As in, every civilisation in existence uses e.g. gold goblets made from your fort. When you make an adventurer to visit some human castle after your fort retires, you'll see those same goblets made by your fort complete with your 'logo'.

Even more exciting would be using your ridiculous fortress wealth to drive production on a civilizational level. Specifically, I'm thinking of buying all the lumber that anyone offers you in exchange for those goblets. The humans and dwarves will then log every tree that they come across, leading to massive deforestation and war with the elves. You helpfully supply steel masterworks and legendary warriors to the war effort, leading to the extinction of the elves. Eventually, the only trees left in existence are in your fortress, giving you a corner on the global lumber market.
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 03:54:30 pm »

Even more exciting would be using your ridiculous fortress wealth to drive production on a civilizational level. Specifically, I'm thinking of buying all the lumber that anyone offers you in exchange for those goblets. The humans and dwarves will then log every tree that they come across, leading to massive deforestation and war with the elves. You helpfully supply steel masterworks and legendary warriors to the war effort, leading to the extinction of the elves. Eventually, the only trees left in existence are in your fortress, giving you a corner on the global lumber market.
Except for anyone else who thought to make a tree farm, underground or otherwise.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 11:42:03 am »

Except for anyone else who thought to make a tree farm, underground or otherwise.

So that's something that would have to be added. They'd have to have some sort of ability to cordon off sections of forest for the farm, as well as making orchards I suppose.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 12:04:40 pm »

Deforestation would probably lead to mass extinction, climate change and war with everyone. I doubt such complex climate processes will be added to the game but a settlement changing a biome might be possible. City biome: cats, dogs, pigeons, bats and rats.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 01:54:56 pm »

Deforestation would probably lead to mass extinction, climate change and war with everyone. I doubt such complex climate processes will be added to the game but a settlement changing a biome might be possible. City biome: cats, dogs, pigeons, bats and rats.
Species that could only survive in forests would either go extinct or evolve into different species. The latter is something the current DF can't do, but on the other hand, real life has shown that most species can't evolve quickly enough to adapt to deforestation at the hands of sapient beings anyways. As to biome changes, the creatures of a city are still dependent on the local wild biome. Sure, you might manage to import dogs, cats and pigeons because they're domestic creatures that you lost track of and let turn feral (another thing DF can't do ATM) and rats because they're vermin that follow you and cling to you wherever you go, but if bats and/or peregrine falcons are native wildlife, you'll see them in the city. Likewise, if monkeys are native wildlife you'll see them in the city too.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 09:19:49 am »

I envision a world embark.

You still pick your little slice of territory as 'your area', under your direct control, but the map is no longer limited to your embark.  It stretches the entire world.  Unmapped terrain and Fog of war exists beyond your borders.  Dwarfs sent out will uncover the lay of the land and push back the fog where they are at, much as adventurers do. 

As for your fort, it may extend as far as you want in any direction you please.  Want to build a road to the mountain home?  Go for it!  A huge bridge connecting an island with the mainland?  Make it ostentatious, with golden pillars and platinum railings!  Want magma but don't want to dig down and pump it up?  Build an aqueduct to the nearest volcano and bring it here!  Establish mini forts days away from your main fort where your dwarfs can operate from for work or patrol duty!  Tired of zombies?  Besiege the tower yourself with your military!  Disassemble the building brick by brick or collapse it with a support/lever.

People and creatures will wander the map in real-time.  Caravans no longer come at set times, but however long it takes to get to your fort and back to where they came from.  Animals no longer come in groups onto the map, replaced quickly after leaving an embark, but are free to wander into and out of your embark as they please.  Sieges will have to march to your fort to attack you (much as they do now) but you could scout the terrain, determine (or 'arrange') their best path to your fort, and build a guard house their to alert you of impending invasion! 

So many possibilities.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 12:40:13 pm »

Tired of zombies?  Besiege the tower yourself with your military!  Disassemble the building brick by brick or collapse it with a support/lever.
5x bonus points if you use it as a magma piston.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 01:18:35 pm »

That's kinda what they did with the Sims. It'd require a sort of < button which zooms the world along several stages between the normal fortress level to world generation scale so we can see what's going on. It's also reminiscent of the camera in Black and White where you could zoom out to see the island in the distance or zoom in to look at an apple on a barrel with a worm sticking out of it.

You really took the no fps restriction thing to another level.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 09:11:35 pm »

You still pick your little slice of territory as 'your area', under your direct control, but the map is no longer limited to your embark.  It stretches the entire world.  Unmapped terrain and Fog of war exists beyond your borders.  Dwarfs sent out will uncover the lay of the land and push back the fog where they are at, much as adventurers do. 
please, I prefer my computer to NOT be on fire.
Then again given that dwarf fortress is approximately 999999 years away from completion computers will probably be able to handle it by then...
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness
Pages: 1 [2]