Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Pseudo-Succession Fortress, Ultra Hostile Experiment  (Read 8870 times)

Polyester

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Pseudo-Succession Fortress, Ultra Hostile Experiment
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2015, 12:29:53 am »

I have no idea what I am doing. I don't know much besides building farms, building a moat, and basic things you learn.
For that reason, I sign up to be a part of this Succession fort.
You know, for fun.
Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2015, 02:41:08 am »

I kind of wonder if my computer can even run a modded fortress. It is, I should state, a HP pavilion laptop that is several years old and still runs Vista. I spent quite a bit of money to have a new computer built but it is not arriving as promised. But if you want to reupload the save I will give it a shot. I don't want to turn Immortal-D's fortress into a disorganized mess (any more than he's done himself what with all the monsters).

I have a HP laptop that runs Vista Business. I got it from a friend of a friend, who got it when their workplace threw it out (it was too old). It runs Dwarf Fortress reasonably fine, and it has 7zip installed (hint, hint). I also have a desktop that runs Dwarf Fortress WELL (there is a difference).

How splendid for you.

Downloading the save. So far so good. Oh look, harpies.

Edit: Guys, I'm going to introduce you to a wonderful alloy; it's called steel. It will change your lives.

Is there a reason I'm seeing so many skilled dwarves designated as peasants? Like our bookkeeper is showing up as a peasant? That doesn't seem right.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:29:36 am by De »
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2015, 09:31:19 am »

I take it De, you have started?  Nice :)  To answer your question; despite the flurry of posts, there have been only 2 turns thus far.  I will update the OP with players and turn order.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 12:57:18 pm »

I take it De, you have started?  Nice :)  To answer your question; despite the flurry of posts, there have been only 2 turns thus far.  I will update the OP with players and turn order.

I am already into summer. I may need to preemptively beg your forbearance. We are not fallen mind you, but perhaps set back a bit. I would have done better to have waited after confirming that the save would indeed run. Sleep, in retrospect, might have been called for.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:59:23 pm by De »
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 06:14:36 pm »

I am already into summer. I may need to preemptively beg your forbearance. We are not fallen mind you, but perhaps set back a bit. I would have done better to have waited after confirming that the save would indeed run. Sleep, in retrospect, might have been called for.
Given my rushed-and-fatigue-induced, ignominious Parallel Forts turn, I can quite sympathize.

What in particular went wrong and how many are dead? I'd be happy to give advice.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2015, 06:27:15 pm »

The crowd demands pictures!  And details.  I am quite curious what could have caused a major setback at this stage.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2015, 06:53:47 pm »

Everything is fine. No one is dead. In my sheer enthusiasm for the defense of the fortress and my conviction that Autumntower needed a tower, I may have floored some things that were not yet ready to be floored and caused a cave-in, which might have caused a few subsequent cave-ins, resulting in some internal injuries to a pair of miners, a butcher with two broken legs, and a rather squashed rabbit. Also our trade depot is obliterated, our wall is partially down and we're under siege. But it is okay because I have walled off all the exits.Also, I built us a lovely new hospital.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2015, 06:56:36 pm »

Everything is fine. No one is dead. In my sheer enthusiasm for the defense of the fortress and my conviction that Autumntower needed a tower, I may have floored some things that were not yet ready to be floored and caused a cave-in, which might have caused a few subsequent cave-ins, resulting in some internal injuries to a pair of miners, a butcher with two broken legs, and a rather squashed rabbit.
I'd be most worried about FPS-death. Water is a pain that way.
EDIT: Oops, I misread "floored" as "flooded."
Also our trade depot is obliterated, our wall is partially down and we're under siege.
Ooh! How many Goblins and how many Trolls?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:58:17 pm by Urlance Woolsbane »
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2015, 07:17:27 pm »

Everything is fine. No one is dead. In my sheer enthusiasm for the defense of the fortress and my conviction that Autumntower needed a tower, I may have floored some things that were not yet ready to be floored and caused a cave-in, which might have caused a few subsequent cave-ins, resulting in some internal injuries to a pair of miners, a butcher with two broken legs, and a rather squashed rabbit.
I'd be most worried about FPS-death. Water is a pain that way.
EDIT: Oops, I misread "floored" as "flooded."
Also our trade depot is obliterated, our wall is partially down and we're under siege.
Ooh! How many Goblins and how many Trolls?

I told you, it's okay. There's only 10 goblins and two of them are in traps. Some dwarfs are in traps. In all honesty, my biggest fear is that they will flee before I can finish them off. I've temporarily moved the forges up towards the surface, essentially in the magnetite vein with a side order of marble. The militia is in cloth but I'm trying to fix it. We're in a race, can I equip the militia before the scout party leaves and assembles a bigger force? I really am replaying my Parallel Fortress game. This time I will not let them escape so easily.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2015, 07:46:32 pm »

Here. I'll just do a write up of what I've played since we haven't had one for this fortress in awhile and I know I've raised some questions about my time as overseer that could do with definitive answers. Again, a goodly portion of the action I'm about to describe took place when I'd been up for quite awhile so keep that in mind.

My first difficulty in starting up Autumntower (that's the name of this fortress by the way, I don't know if anyone's mentioned that) was in finding out where anything was. The hotkeys took me to such disparate regions that finding out such basics as the location of the mason's workshop was impossible without a great deal of scrolling through the 'R' menu. Upon examining our stockpiles and the only part of the fortress I could easily locate, the Trade Depot and surrounding courtyard, I decided to devote my turn to creating steel and perhaps fortifying the surface. Fortunately there was plenty of wood, with the promise of more since I could see numerous trees threatening to glitch out the save at any moment, so there was no need to invest time constructing blocks in the hard to find row of mason workshops I eventually did locate.

This was fortunate, since when I went to put in a work order for blocks I was informed by a red notification at the bottom of the screen that we had no manager. I went to dwarf therapist and selected a suitable candidate and then discovered that many of our dwarfs were labelled "peasants" in spite of their skills and roles within the fortress. Trying to delete this label didn't work, it just kept reverting, so I re-named some of the prominent ones at least. This should be kept in mind because if their roles change their profession title will need to be manually rewritten. Setting out, once again using the 'R' menu to locate the nobles offices was quite an adventure. Zoom whisked me away to a gigantic, largely empty room filled with what seemed to be randomly placed chairs assigned to various members of the nobility. Likewise, attempting to address the mayor's complaints as to the state of his quarters took me to a group of beds set up, seemingly, in the middle of a stockpile. I decided to dig out some new offices and bedrooms for nobles to make dealing with Demands easier. The location I chose was in the middle of a magnetite vein in order to combine the job of harvesting more ore with expanding the fortress's living quarters.

I had un-paused the game for all of five minutes when a weaponsmith, named Ingiz I believe, was struck by a fey mood and vanished. Using the unit search feature, I eventually located him deep under the earth in the magma forges demanding brass and cut gems and here trouble arose. Our unfortunate smith had chosen to come down with his mood on the turn of a player who does not understand how mine carts work. I had, in my initial exploration of the fortress, found tracks for a mine cart system but it seemed to be entirely abandoned and certainly did not run all the way to the magma forges. I had not the slightest notion how to extend them to solve this logistics problem. I did the best I could and ordered some brass smelted in the nearby magma smelters (someone had ordered tetrahedrite, of all things, smelted endlessly on repeat, not that this had born fruit of any kind) even though said ore was many, many Z-levels away and had almost no hope of arriving in time to do any good. Did we have a jewelers? A search through the 'R' menu turned up nothing. I decided to collect the miners, disable all their tasks except mining, and have them dig out room for some additional workshops.

I had the new workshop built, along with a mason's, carpenter's, and mechanic's and then ordered some opals cut. This prompted no activity what so ever. My workers kept disappearing to parts unknown. More searching, this time through the 'J' menu, proved that many workshops had a number of inexplicable tasks set on repeat. The masons had all been ordered to make doors forever. The carpenter's shop was churning out endless chairs. Other tasks had been racked up underneath but to no avail since the top tasks were all on repeat. Meanwhile, the fortress was out of drinks. The stills were inaccessible, having been blocked in by butchers and other workshops constructed so close together that they formed an impenetrable barricade. I deconstructed all of these, rebuilt the farmer's stations in a place where they wouldn't block anything, then found the best brewer in the fortress and told her to do nothing but make booze. I then spent at least 10 minutes finding every single workshop and cancelling all of the tasks.

The butchers shop I decided to move to a consolidated location with the tanners. I decided to build a leatherworks and install another kitchen next to a main hall. There was no existing main hall, the closest thing available was the original embarkation wagon still sitting next to the main entrance.

It was in the middle of all of this that I received a strange notification.

Elf? Nevermind, he was gone for good. I never did locate a body or discover what had become of him.

The sound of battle drew me back to the surface where I witnessed a harpy attacking a dog. I deployed The Lucky Picks to take care of the mess and then had another look at the "wall". Our fortifications consisted of a single panel of wood that would do nothing to thwart archers or climbers. There were some inexplicable bridges erected haphazardly about. I ordered these taken down then got to work expanding our fortifications. My intention was to construct a respectable wall with fortifications, including some towers from which to shoot down the foul harpies before they could cause more trouble. I believe I was working away at this, feeling rather harried and as if I were being pulled in six directions at once, when I got another notification.

I need to pause for a moment here to note something I can't explain. This notification came immediately on the heels of the one about the weaponsmith.

This is one of the guys with the weird "peasant" designation. I renamed him Chief Enforcer because he was the hammerer. I found him lying dead in the new mason's workshops, many Z levels away from the action with the berserk smith. There was no battle report or sign of a struggle. Perhaps he died of old age? I hope nobody was attached to him. Anyway, back to the show.

I zoomed to the weaponsmith's location and followed him down into the caverns where he began to attack dwarfs going about their inexplicable business. The Lucky Picks were summoned once again though they took their sweet time appearing from wherever they had been since the harpy attack. Once they had finally arrived they made short work of him. Feeling some irritation of my own, I spoke the words that will make everyone reading this account cringe and groan aloud: "Why don't I just rebuild the entire thing?"

I returned to my old friend the 'R' menu and proceeded to disband, dismantle and dissipate every room, zone, designation, stockpile and stick of furniture I could find. You may all second guess about this decision but I do feel somewhat justified. I mean look at this mess.

I don't mean the room setup, that's fine, I mean the fucking graphics. This is why I haven't updated my copy of the LNP for months. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to make it so that engraving a room made the floor indistinguishable from the walls? I understand it in a limited ASCII palette, Toady wanted some way to differentiate the engraved portion of the fortress from the rest, but Phoebus had a perfectly good system for engraving and decided to go back to this absolute bullshit. I mean, is this room furnished? You can't tell because of the indecipherable mess of images here. If the new release of Dwarf Fortress doesn't have a clean looking tileset that does away with this nonsense available I will not play it. The end. Yes, this is the hill I have chosen to die on and I am sticking to it. Speaking of hills and imminent demise, this is about the time I started getting cave in notifications.

My instinctive response to the first notification was to ignore it and continue on with my radical restructuring of the fortress proper, but the first notification was soon followed by two more so I went to investigate. As it turns out, the trouble with the weaponsmith had distracted me from my work on the wall. The dwarves had continued to construct and deconstruct based upon my last commands unsupervised. At some point some bit of flooring or wall had become insufficiently supported and collapsed leaving our courtyard in quite a mess and our trade depot in ruins. This is how the miners, butcher and rabbit I mentioned in the previous posts were injured. Though on the bright side, I had recently finished a new hospital as part of my reconstruction project.

I began a cleanup but I was somewhat hampered by notifications concerning the drifting arrival of clouds of evil dust. Caution, and my recent reading of the Clobbermountains thread, caused me to summon all the dwarves inside every time one of these notifications showed me a location that was close to the wall. This is a blessing in a way because it is the reason everyone was already inside when this happened.

This notification created something of an existential turmoil within me. I took a long moment while on pause to begin asking myself the big questions. What made me think I could rebuild the entire south side of the wall in one go? Why isn't the militia in metal armor yet? How many of these little staircases I've been seeing around go all the way to the surface?

Some of these questions will no doubt remain shrouded in mystery forever, but the answer to the last one turns out to be two. I soon found this out since the goblins were drawn to the second, smaller, access stairway like cats to the hole of a mouse. (A scientific aside, evil dust has no apparent effect on goblins.)

I ordered the front doors locked and this side stairway walled off. Unfortunately, this left a carpenter and a mechanic stranded. Fortunately, the goblins did not seem willing to traverse the trap barrier, at least for the time being. Perhaps they do not know the exact location of the entrance. They also failed to notice the hole left by the cave in. It leads directly into a large dug out room of indeterminate purpose. When I arrived in the fortress this room had a partially constructed Siege Engineer Workshop that I had taken down since the only nice thing I can say about siege weapons in DF is that they are marginally more useful than fish dissection. At some point during the restructure I had the clothing industry installed over in that direction but since we're busy smelting and smoothing the newly constructed fortress proper no one has gone over there much. I don't think the goblins will jump down, but they might take a few pot shots.

The Lucky Picks had assembled, as ordered, near the entrance stairway. I took one look at their quaint arsenal of silver knives and bone armor and decided they would not be facing the goblin menace today. I dispersed them again and refocused on steel production. This did involve totally dismantling the magma forges, as the only two anvils were down there and I needed my furnace operators smelting not sprinting back and forth down 40 stairs and through interminable narrow hallways.

While this was going on, the mechanic decided to make a bolt from the mouse hole. The goblins were on her in less than a second, but this turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

[Imgur]http://(http://i.imgur.com/Te7g7aQ.jpg)[/img]

When Dastot the mechanic was knocked unconcious, she fell into the cage trap which registered her as a non-dwarf and snapped her up, protecting her from further attack. Observing this no doubt prompted the carpenter to try the same thing.

This exercise ended with two dwarves and two goblins enclosed in cage traps.

I would need to equip the militia, kill the goblins and retake the wall, all preferably before the dwarves in the traps starved or dehydrated. Was it worth it? What had the surface ever done for Autumntowers? It was a forested wasteland filled with goblins and harpies, not the sort of place to raise our growing horde of children. For a moment I considered reversing my exodus, rebuilding the magma forges and moving all the vital portions of fortress life to the depths, forswearing sunlight
and Trade Depot alike.

No, I would not do it. I would stay up here and undertake the grinding work of equipping the militia in time to kill this scouting force of goblins before it could return to its civilization and report our weakness.

However, the clock now read 5:30am, meaning it was time to drink a cup of tea and have a sandwich before heading off to work. The struggle for Autumntowers would have to resume at a later date.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:49:25 pm by De »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 08:24:04 pm »

Elf? Nevermind, he was gone for good. I never did locate a body or discover what had become of him.
I take it you haven't read my reports? If so, you might want to. They explain a fair deal of what I got up to, which, I admit, might be fairly puzzling otherwise.

This is one of the guys with the weird "peasant" designation. I renamed him Chief Enforcer because he was the hammerer. I found him lying dead in the new mason's workshops, many Z levels away from the action with the berserk smith. There was no battle report or sign of a struggle. Perhaps he died of old age? I hope nobody was attached to him. Anyway, back to the show.
Something like this happened to me, too. It might be worthwhile finding his Thoughts Screen (via the Relationships Screen of a live Dwarf who knew him) to check his age. I thought we might have a vampire on our hands, but neither bodies were drained of blood. Is it possible for a nosferatu to kill a Dwarf without leaving evidence?
Other tasks had been racked up underneath but to no avail since the top tasks were all on repeat. Meanwhile, the fortress was out of drinks.
In my experience, putting a task on repeat will not prevent a dwarf from completing other queued-up tasks. A worker will still cycle through the list.
I would need to equip the militia, kill the goblins and retake the wall, all preferably before the dwarves in the traps starved or dehydrated. Was it worth it? What had the surface ever done for Autumntowers? It was a forested wasteland filled with goblins and harpies, not the sort of place to raise our growing horde of goblin children.
Er, do you know something I don't?
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2015, 08:46:42 pm »

I take it you haven't read my reports? If so, you might want to. They explain a fair deal of what I got up to, which, I admit, might be fairly puzzling otherwise.

Something like this happened to me, too. It might be worthwhile finding his Thoughts Screen (via the Relationships Screen of a live Dwarf who knew him) to check his age. I thought we might have a vampire on our hands, but neither bodies were drained of blood. Is it possible for a nosferatu to kill a Dwarf without leaving evidence?
Other tasks had been racked up underneath but to no avail since the top tasks were all on repeat. Meanwhile, the fortress was out of drinks.
In my experience, putting a task on repeat will not prevent a dwarf from completing other queued-up tasks. A worker will still cycle through the list.
I would need to equip the militia, kill the goblins and retake the wall, all preferably before the dwarves in the traps starved or dehydrated. Was it worth it? What had the surface ever done for Autumntowers? It was a forested wasteland filled with goblins and harpies, not the sort of place to raise our growing horde of goblin children.
Er, do you know something I don't?

Haha, no I'm afraid that's a common typo of mine. I often write a word totally different from the one I'm thinking. I don't know why. Often the word isn't even tangentially related. I think in this case thinking "horde" made me write "goblin" out of instinct. Though we apparently have a large number of baby crundles as part of our population. I for one welcome diversity.

I did read your report when you posted it and I skimmed through it while playing. I remember you mentioned our "elf" but I don't recall you doing anything untoward to him. Did you?

Edit: Ah, rereading. He was the one who had the mood. I see. I actually meant to mention that. The way the fortress was spread out it was impossible for anyone having a mood to gather all their requirements before going insane. I found your spider farm and left it alone. We have a new GCS that I'm having tamed by a dedicated animal tamer... or I would be if there hadn't been... developments.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:58:36 pm by De »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2015, 08:59:33 pm »

I did read your report when you posted it and I skimmed through it while playing. I remember you mentioned our "elf" but I don't recall you doing anything untoward to him. Did you?
No, he was named by Immortal-D. I was the second player, and as such, the one to be momentarily surprised by his nickname.
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2015, 09:15:56 pm »

No, he was named by Immortal-D. I was the second player, and as such, the one to be momentarily surprised by his nickname.

Ah, he must have named the crundles too. I had your mention of him mixed up with the pixies in my mind actually. Do you think the sticky peasant profession might be something he did?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2015, 09:19:04 pm »

Ah, he must have named the crundles too. I had your mention of him mixed up with the pixies in my mind actually. Do you think the sticky peasant profession might be something he did?
The Crundles were my doing, as well as one or two others, but the Peasant-label is either something he did or a bug.
EDIT:
Edit: Ah, rereading. He was the one who had the mood. I see. I actually meant to mention that. The way the fortress was spread out it was impossible for anyone having a mood to gather all their requirements before going insane.
I got several artifacts on my turn, so it wasn't impossible, but you probably have a point.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:22:34 pm by Urlance Woolsbane »
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6