Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Reign of Rot-Day 1 (Game Thread)  (Read 10750 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Reign of Rot-Day 1 (Game Thread)
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2015, 04:19:42 pm »

"Cuff away, fella, but mind my nails, would you?"
Ebony sighed. This wasn't the first time in her life she'd been kidnapped, but this was still quite exasperating.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2015, 09:33:29 am »

273 looks around confused. He shrugs to himself and starts to head up the ladder.
Harriet follows 273, cautiously.

The pair moves up to the roof with a quick shimmy. Over the trees, they can see city ahead is in a slight depression in the land-they can make out the general layout of Seaside from here...patchwork suburbia, marble and glass city center, a large park, and a sprawling commercial area. No doubt there were, in better days, more tourists residing here than citizens. Far to the west, they can just make out the California beachline, stretching on and on, with what is no doubt a docking area-beach access is in walking distance of the town. And, smaller self service and roadside buildings on some of the side roads.

It's too far away to make out any specifics of these sights. At least without binoculars.

Spoiler: Seaside (click to show/hide)

----

"Cuff away, fella, but mind my nails, would you?"
Ebony sighed. This wasn't the first time in her life she'd been kidnapped, but this was still quite exasperating.

The figure from behind you grunts.

"Jus' hol' still, ma'am." Says a soft, Southern inflected voice.

In a few moments, Ebony is placed on the ground and feels a pair of shackles settle on her wrists behind her back...and, then a pair of shackles snap around her ankles, completing a full body restraint. A little bit of chain rattling tells her both sets of cuffs are connected to a single chain between them. To his credit, it's all done gently enough, with no extra attention paid to sexual harassment.

Ebony earned a status effect!

Fully Restrained=Ebony's legs and arms are tied up. She can scarcely act or move without great difficulty.

"...Now that's done, we c..."

The silence is broken by a sudden pained scream. Docs voice. The Leader finally seems to show a bit of surprise, though it doesn't last long.

"...Shit! What now...Johnathan, watch her, will you? We'll be back in a moment."

They dash into the forest, moving in a combat crouch. Ebony studies the concrete her face is planted in. It's not very exciting. When she raises her head, she notices her guard is paying no attention to her whatsoever, instead looking after the runners.

----
((well at this point I think I can get away with making as much noise as possible :))))

Doc gives out a blood-curdling scream. That hurt!

WODEFUYOODOOTHAFA!?

Doc can hear the feet getting closer.

Thank goodness, the Cavalry has arrived!

Unfortunately, it's the enemy Cavalry...two boys come out of the brush in similar garb and arms to the young girl. Doc realizes with a sinking feeling that they are all about the same age. Only the leader-he knows it's the leader by how the girl turns so quickly to him, seeking reassurance, and how he projects an aura of command about him...

"...What happened?"

"...I...I...I told him not to move! He...tried...had a gun in his hand..." She says, obviously flustered. She sounds on the verge of tears. Doc might feel a bit more sympathetic in any other situation...

The young leader steps forward, embracing the girl, calming her down.

"Just relax. All that matters is that you're ok, Janey. Where's his gun? And, how bad is he hurt...hell, I don't know..."

He finally takes a closer look at doc, kneeling down. Up close, he can see the man is no more than a boy, one with a Hell of a weight on his shoulders and a grim determination in his eyes. He notes the wound with a detached look.

"...It doesn't look fatal. You're not bleeding too badly. Just relax, sir..." He says, not sounding very confident in that.

His voice hardens, in what is no doubt a practiced speech.

"...there's neither the time nor the inclination for us to help you. I guess you volunteer as messenger. We know you're in a large group. We counted. They'll be back to help you soon enough, I'm sure. Just stay conscious and listen to me, if you ever want to see your friend again.

We have one of yours. We don't intend to hurt her. No harm will come to her as long as you leave us alone. We forage in the city and forest as well. So, if you see our people, swing wide around. We took one of you here, and we can take you anytime we like. Remember that. I assume you want her back, so listen close-at sunset tomorrow, you're going to make sure there's at least five days worth of food and water in the parking lot of the Big Big Burger up the road. And that's the place where you'll find her, the day afterwards, at sunset. You show us respect for passing through our territory. Don't try to screw us. Don't try to trick us. We have eyes everywhere, and we know these woods in and out. If you don't do exactly as I say...she'll...stay with us"

Judging by his last words, Doc has a feeling the plan somewhat falls apart at what happens if you don't do as they say.

In any case, he turns more conversational in his parting volley.

"...I'm sorry my sister shot you, mister. She didn't mean it. She has trouble killing rabbits...I guess your gun just...freaked her out. Scared her. So we can still make this work, right? You'll tell them it was an accident. Won't you?"

The other boy goes to retrieve Docs gun from the bushes, and the leader stays crouched, and Doc has to decide what to do.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2015, 09:40:02 am »

237 checks back the way they came. If it looks clear he starts to climb down.
"Welp, let's raid this place and get going."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2015, 10:02:28 am »

237 checks back the way they came. If it looks clear he starts to climb down.
"Welp, let's raid this place and get going."

A quick look back, reveals nothing but trees for miles-the 'bowl' goes slightly uphill from here, blocking any sight of the sign or your party. Shrugging, 273 accesses the roof entrance and drops down into the dusty confines of the fast food joint...

Harriet remains on the roof.

His first thought upon viewing the interior is a curse. Mostly because he notices the oven is open and the grill has been removed. A minor thing, sure, but it means someone with some sense has already been through here-scavengers take them to cook food over campfires. He had been hoping to find one here for himself...

A quick look reveals the rest of the place is more or less cleaned out. It shows all the signs of a through scrounging by experienced scavengers-thorough, and with minimal mess. He sighs. It's going to be tough to find anything that hasn't been picked up.

The front of the diner is significantly more interesting, however.

He's really glad he chose to enter through the roof, in retrospect.

273 cautiously edges around, noting the simplistic yet effective design of the trap in the front door-with an eye to using himself in the future. It seems someone stuck a small, flat piece of wood near the bottom of the door at an angle-the wood has been drilled through and strung with fishing wire, which loops up to a simple pulley and counterweight system. If someone opens the door, the wood is drawn up, slack is given, and it drops the weight-which in this case is what looks like a duffel bag of baseballs-and when the weight drops, it pulls on another fishing line-which, releases the lever of a hand grenade, located in a simple coffee can. It's designed to shred anyone who opens the front door-the can would effectively direct it's shrapnel all in one direction. Forward.

Definitely an area denial tool. You would only trap a place if you had no intention of going back...or you wanted to warn people not to poke around.

It's really quite ingenious, what you can do with a little imagination.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2015, 10:06:00 am »

"...I'm sorry my sister shot you, mister. She didn't mean it. She has trouble killing rabbits...I guess your gun just...freaked her out. Scared her. So we can still make this work, right? You'll tell them it was an accident. Won't you?"

The other boy goes to retrieve Docs gun from the bushes, and the leader stays crouched, and Doc has to decide what to do.

Doc nods, groaning softly.

...of course... I'll make them... understand...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2015, 10:10:46 am »

Gianna continues to pick and harvest berries, humming "Shake It Off", as she does so.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2015, 10:11:47 am »

The boy nods, looking away.

"Thanks. And...sorry for giving you such a bad turn, mister...but, the last time we trusted strangers, I lost a few of my friends. We've learned that lesson now. It's all bad turns for everybody, from here on out."

The other boy recovers Docs gun, jamming it in his pocket, and the three of them set off in the direction of Ebony.

Does Doc do anything else, or just wait?

((OOC: Once Doc gives his final action, team berry pickers will reunite with team defeated by preteens.))

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2015, 10:15:53 am »

Doc will wait.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2015, 10:42:23 am »

Doc will wait.

Time passes. Doc bleeds. The birds sing. The clouds roll by. All in all, just another day.

A good time later, the remaining members of the group return with satchels full of berries...

Group Gained some supplies...
8xChokeberries, Food and Water (1 use, 1 load)
+Special: Feeds a person for one day

Survivor Tutorial: Obviously, every person needs to eat at least one ration of food and water a day. This can be single servings, or more general 'supply points'. Supply points resemble a significant source and varied source of goods you have accrued-you can feed your entire group on a single supply point in a day (or maintain it with a lucky roll), or expend those supply points to take out any resources you might need-ammo, bandages, medicine etc. You are limited to your maximum amount of supply points as per members of your group, if you are not in a refuge-which is any sort of semi-permanent dwelling.

Gianna continues to pick and harvest berries, humming "Shake It Off", as she does so.

It's not to hard to notice the obvious.

First, Doc has a crossbow bolt in his stomach-though he is still conscious, and only a bit pale.

Also, Ebony is gone.

Vanished into the wind.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2015, 10:52:37 am »

237 lets out a small issue before looking for a sharp bit of something. A grenade isn't useful you can't use it after all.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2015, 11:04:14 am »

237 lets out a small issue before looking for a sharp bit of something. A grenade isn't useful you can't use it after all.

237 finds a rusted piece of metal that was likely once a nail file, lying on top of a table, covered in old newspapers. Will this do?

((Updated character sheets))

Spoiler: Group Status (click to show/hide)
Survivors
Spoiler: Jason Lane (Glacies) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Number 273 (kj1225) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ebony (Gigla) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:34:32 pm by Dwarmin »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2015, 11:09:53 am »

Looking over the file, 237 nods to himself. He can pull the line towards the grenade and file through the taught part.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2015, 11:23:15 am »

"....Gosh darnit Doc? What happened?"

Holiday removed his backpack, preparing to pull out medical supplies.

"Wait, first, tell me how to get this thing outa your chest first. I know a bit 'bout first aid, but I'll bet your advice would be more helpful there."

((Do we know about the regenerative effects of the Rain yet? In-character knowledge is vital for operation "KNEECAP CHILDREN"))
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2015, 11:38:59 am »

((Do we know about the regenerative effects of the Rain yet? In-character knowledge is vital for operation "KNEECAP CHILDREN"))

((OOC: You weren't given a dossier on it, no. It's not hard to notice you're a bit tougher, faster, and stronger than you were before though-the exact amount depends how much your character has been pressed to survive compared to his former life-someone like Holiday was probably already pretty tough and fit, and he would not notice the difference as easily as say Ebony would. If you put this down as to alien biowarfare chemicals, divine intervention, good exercise running from rotters, or whatever, is up to you. Only Doc might have an idea about what it really is, and if pressed he will become the GM's plot tool. :P

Edit: To clarify, can your character connect the Rotters regeneration with his own increased physical abilities? It's not a nice comparison to admit to yourself, to be honest...that you are infected.))
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:40:51 am by Dwarmin »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2015, 12:07:46 pm »

"....Gosh darnit Doc? What happened?"

Holiday removed his backpack, preparing to pull out medical supplies.

"Wait, first, tell me how to get this thing outa your chest first. I know a bit 'bout first aid, but I'll bet your advice would be more helpful there."

((No pressing!))

Doc, who is lying down gazing up at the passing clouds, edges himself up onto his elbows.

Oh, I was merely sauntering through the forest, enjoying the post-apocalyptic scenery on the way to recovering Ebony. Next thing I know, the flora achieves sentience and appropriates my revolver and fires a crossbow bolt into my belly. A bolt from the blue, I tell you...

Doc then laughs heartily to himself, slapping his knee A bolt from the blue! Hahahaha... he stops laughing and pauses for a moment, clearing his throat. Seriously though, this is rather painful. And, ah... no offence, Johnson, but I would feel more comfortable with Jason working on this. I am more familiar with his anatomical knowledge, so it would be easier to walk him through this.

Not looking anyone in the eye, Doc continues: I also have some... troubling news, though I would prefer to deliver it sans bolt, if you do not mind.

((Can I Apply Knoweldge here to help in bolt removal and not suffer further damage to the wound, since it's technically not physical activity? ;D))

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8