Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon - Online co-op Action Roguelike - Kickstarter 48 hours!  (Read 4041 times)

Rotondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys, I'm the developer of The Forgettable Dungeon.

I remembered you guys enjoyed the original prototype for this game, The @Team http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112205.0

So I figured I'd give you guys an update on what the game turned in to.

This is what the game looks like now,

This is what the original prototype looked like, it used 3D ascii characters for the players & monsters,

The @Team was my attempt at doing a pure roguelike in a multiplayer setting, what it turned into is more of an action rogulike similar to spelunky or binding of isaac.

Here's some gifs of the game in action,

The game also features a heavy focus on customization so you can still do that classic ascii character look, you can also create your own character.

Anyway I launched the kickstarter for the game a few days ago and it's doing pretty well.

If you guys want to check it out head here, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rotondo/forgettabledungeon

If you guys have any questions I'd love to answer them.

Edit: Also if you want to check out the original prototype it's available here: http://www.odnotor.com/post/56100118624/the-team-prototype

The game has changed so much since then, it's fun to look back.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:06:11 pm by Rotondo »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

My only comment right now is that I think the title of your game is unfortunate.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

I would have gone with pixel tiles instead of voxels, really.

There's a certain effect to these voxels that make them... more generic.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile

My only comment right now is that I think the title of your game is unfortunate.
I'd tend to agree, but who knows? Perhaps the odd title will actually make it more memorable.

I have to say, though, I rather like the look of this game. If it has solid gameplay, I'm sold.

Rotondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The game actually had no title the first year in development, The @Team was a good name but googleability was not good. Not to mention the style and look of the game changed dramatically.

The Forgettable Dungeon started as a joke, it being the worst name we could come up with. It just stuck after a while, and people seem to love the name or hate it, but they remember it.

I would have gone with pixel tiles instead of voxels, really.

There's a certain effect to these voxels that make them... more generic.

The art style came about as a way to keep the original ascii character look as an option, while offering more conventional sprites as well.

People also seem to have a lot of fun drawing characters and changing the look of the dungeon.

I'd tend to agree, but who knows? Perhaps the odd title will actually make it more memorable.

I have to say, though, I rather like the look of this game. If it has solid gameplay, I'm sold.

Thanks!

The title seems to do a good job, it has good googleability. It also compels people to comment about it which is good.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

PTW.
Plans to release it on Steam or something?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile

PTW.
Says so on the KS page
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

It looks like you're going to make it. I really hope you get up to some of the stretch goals too.

This looks like a blast, and should even be pretty streamable/youTubeable for getting the name out. Custom avatars in a multiplayer roguelike seems like a very marketable concept. Especially for streamers. Get in contact with the Polaris crew (TB/ Jessie Cox/ Dodger/etc). They'll eat this up for a laugh.

Cue the walking peni! (and hopefully some slightly more PG friendly avatars). But honestly, if you can get a few later prototypes out to some good streamers before the KS ends, you'll be set. I'm backing it. I get to be a sword swinging unicorn or magical kitty! Or anything, really.

Looks good to play, good to watch, and hopefully is fun all round. Might want to throw in friendly fire as a basic option (not really a deathmatch, just a magicka-esque cooperative style thing that can be switched on or off). Because, you'll definitely get $50k if you do. Everybody likes hurting their friends when there's potential permadeath as the reward. You could even revive them, if you wanted to. Then do it again! Every single level. Maybe make it scalable percentage-wise so pkayers can choose the lethality levels of their own hilarity.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:52:46 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A quick group let's play by someone so people can see a slightly longer gameplay vid:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BM0WqH4r7jA

I sort of wish the camera was zoomed out a little bit. It would allow larger rooms, and wouldn't hurt the graphics at all. It'd just look/feel a little better.

Still, it looks like it'll be heaps of fun multiplayer. If only there were more voxels/pixels available for avatars (this is from an amateur pixel artist, who's used to those constraints). Maybe make player avatars a different voxel res to everything else? You are the main characters, after all.
It's a game. Have fun.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I agree that murdering your friends is absolutely hilarious.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rotondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW.

Yeah the game is going to be eventually released on steam.

It looks like you're going to make it. I really hope you get up to some of the stretch goals too.

This looks like a blast, and should even be pretty streamable/youTubeable for getting the name out. Custom avatars in a multiplayer roguelike seems like a very marketable concept. Especially for streamers. Get in contact with the Polaris crew (TB/ Jessie Cox/ Dodger/etc). They'll eat this up for a laugh.

Cue the walking peni! (and hopefully some slightly more PG friendly avatars). But honestly, if you can get a few later prototypes out to some good streamers before the KS ends, you'll be set. I'm backing it. I get to be a sword swinging unicorn or magical kitty! Or anything, really.

Looks good to play, good to watch, and hopefully is fun all round. Might want to throw in friendly fire as a basic option (not really a deathmatch, just a magicka-esque cooperative style thing that can be switched on or off). Because, you'll definitely get $50k if you do. Everybody likes hurting their friends when there's potential permadeath as the reward. You could even revive them, if you wanted to. Then do it again! Every single level. Maybe make it scalable percentage-wise so pkayers can choose the lethality levels of their own hilarity.

Thanks! We're super super close to the goal, so I'm hoping we can cross that barrier today.

So far the people who have streamed & put it up on youtube have loved it. I haven't sent it to the Polaris crew yet, I will definitely do that, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks so much for backing.

It definitely depends on how the gameplay progresses but magicka style friendly fire would be hilarious and cruel lol. Though this would require a bit of a faster revive mechanic than what we have now though.

A quick group let's play by someone so people can see a slightly longer gameplay vid:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BM0WqH4r7jA

I sort of wish the camera was zoomed out a little bit. It would allow larger rooms, and wouldn't hurt the graphics at all. It'd just look/feel a little better.

Still, it looks like it'll be heaps of fun multiplayer. If only there were more voxels/pixels available for avatars (this is from an amateur pixel artist, who's used to those constraints). Maybe make player avatars a different voxel res to everything else? You are the main characters, after all.

You can actually change the camera angle a bit similar to how you could in 3D Dot Game Heroes, eventually I'm going to add support for larger more varied room sizes similar to BoI rebirth.

Right now it just supports the fixed sprite size to keep consistency but I did write a thing that auto scaled your player to be the correct size, would be a funny cheat code to have.

----

Posted an update on the Kickstarter showing off an idea I had for the backer credits,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rotondo/forgettabledungeon/posts/1391885

I think this is much more fun than just having a bunch of letters on the screen.

Rotondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bump, we got 100% funded the other day!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rotondo/forgettabledungeon/posts/1394984

It's been pretty crazy and we're only halfway through.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Grats on getting funded!
I'll be keeping my eye on this, it looks cool and I'm a sucker for anything coop.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Congratulations on getting over the first hurdle. I'm actually surprised there's not more noise about this (and money being thrown at it). There's not enough fun little co-op games about these days.

Hopefully there'll be a push over the next two weeks for some of those stretch goals. Considering there's a free demo, a working (updated) prototype that's been youTube'd etc, this seems like a sure thing.

Admittedly, the price is a little high. But between quick development expected, no vapour-ware, and a cool little concept, I'm surprised it's not doing better. Especially considering the trash that people back that never ends up being made properly, this one is a definite goer.

Adding content and maybe a few UI tweaks and options takes time and money, but at least there's already a game there. One that looks like it'll be pretty fun to play as-is, so the KS will just make that even better.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:55:48 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They got an extra $2k over the weekend, so it looks like a Mac version will be in the works. But more importantly, Deathmatch! Yay!
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: [1] 2