Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 96

Author Topic: Might and Fealty (Beyond Battlemaster: Sandbox Strategy-RPG Medieval RP)  (Read 136558 times)

Ratharing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Might and Fealty (Incredible new Sandbox strategy-RPG medieval RP game)
« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2015, 06:53:54 pm »

So anyone can have other deities but we follow "Armok's will" through coordinating on these forums.

Such level of metagaming/clanning would get your realm wiped pretty fast by older players. I'd recommend you RPed characters with goals, dreams, fears and passions of their own, not necessarily always agreeing, or even supporting, each other.

I recall somewhere that M&F was purposely given limited resources so that only a few cities can grow big. Obviously, let's just funnel all our food to one fortress until it reaches maximum size, then focus on the rest.

There is no such limit, and there are buildings that no city is currently able to produce (due to no having reached the minimal requirements). You can always grow larger, if you have food available.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2015, 07:10:14 pm »

I mean there's not enough food to make all cities big, so it needs to be coordinated which ones become bigger than the others.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 13, 2015, 08:17:01 pm »

What would be a typical amount of time for a noob character (with only 3 soldiers) to take control of a province? I have one that says 9 days to take control and is pop 916, grasslands. Is this pretty much the best speed I'm going to get with a poorly-equipped character?

Ratharing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 13, 2015, 09:01:42 pm »

No, that's a long time. Check if there are militia in the settlement. If it's independent, you'll be able to mobilize them, thus getting more soldiers and speeding up the process of takeover: Actions > Manage Militia.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 13, 2015, 09:53:42 pm »

Thanks a lot for the advice, it grabbed the soldiers and tried again, now it's only 13 hours to take it over! I feel slightly less noobish and useless now!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 14, 2015, 12:07:48 am »

I finally got a settlement. Is there a building guide somewhere? Any reason not to put 100% of workforce on something?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Ratharing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 14, 2015, 12:12:52 am »

I finally got a settlement. Is there a building guide somewhere? Any reason not to put 100% of workforce on something?

There's the manual: http://mightandfealty.com/en/manual/economy

Try not to get more than 10% of the population working in constructions, or up to 20% if you are in a real hurry and/or have external food supplies. The more people building, the less people tending the fields, so the less food you produce. Less food, less population, less workers.

Buildings usually cost metal, wood, goods and wealth, so if you get a supply of them the construction will go faster.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 14, 2015, 12:26:20 am »

The farming system would be interesting to know more about.

I can see that there's a diminishing return for each additional farmer in the community. Clearly the first farmer for example must be making e.g. enough food for 2 people, and at some point there's a break-even point where each additional farmer makes enough for exactly one additional person, and every farmer after that actually consumes more food than they produce. If that's the entirety of those farmers economic input then it's clear that you want to find this break-even point and anyone over that should be doing some other economic activity or turned into soldiers, or the surplus food past that point should be exported to support larger non-farming centers.

I'll start getting my head around the whole thing once I have control of a settlement or two, but I'm sort of guessing people have already done a fair bit of analysis on optimizing this sort of thing?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:31:31 am by Reelya »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 14, 2015, 12:35:39 am »

The manual doesn't help much. It dumps too much info without explaining.

Should I be building defenses? Soldier equipment? What's the best soldier combo?

Resources?

It's building an inn and mason in my settlement; should I be reallocating to something like the market?

And should I just set building to 0% for the buildings I don't urgently need, while focusing 10% workforce on the important ones?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 01:40:01 am by Muz »

Ratharing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 14, 2015, 01:57:57 am »

I'll start getting my head around the whole thing once I have control of a settlement or two, but I'm sort of guessing people have already done a fair bit of analysis on optimizing this sort of thing?

I haven't done that optimization, but to be fair it is not that useful as you will have to sacrifice population in order to have a large city that is able to produce high-tier equipment.

Should I be building defenses?

Every settlement would benefit from a palisade. Other buildings that provide defense help with economic security, as soldiers do. Usually your population will increase (due to increased economic security, which affects the % of productivity wasted) when you have between 50 and 100 militia in your settlement (the better equipped the soldiers, the higher the economic security). Militia produces half the resources than peasants, so at some point past that more militia in a settlement will decrease your productivity.

Soldier equipment? What's the best soldier combo?

Broadsword-Plate-Warhorse. Of course, there are currently less than 300 soldiers with warhorses in the entire game (out of a total of almost 140k soldiers in the entire game, not counting rabble), so you will likely have to do with less.

Here you can see the equipment reference:
http://mightandfealty.com/en/info/equipmenttypes
As a guideline, the more lessons to train, the better the equipment. The system is very simple, and a sword will always be better than a halberd which will always be better than an axe.
The best combination depends on what resources you have available, and how long are you willing to wait (you will find that training naked axemen is fast as hell, but they die like flies).

Resources?

Small settlements tend to produce more goods, and large ones more wealth. Wood serves mainly for buildings, bows, leather armor and whatnot. Metal for heavy armors and metal weapons. Food for horses and population.
Food tends to be the most expensive resource in the game, followed by metal (though this depends on the area, in some places metal is so abundant that it's worth less than wood, while on others it's worth more than gold).

It's building an inn and mason in my settlement; should I be reallocating to something like the market?

The peasants have certain fancies, and after a certain population level they will build things they find useful for themselves, sometimes not so much for you. Try reducing the amount of workers in those buildings, but don't be surprised if they are increased again in a turn or two.

Markets are great. They increase production of every resource that you already produce, so they are always worth it.

And should I just set building to 0% for the buildings I don't urgently need, while focusing 10% workforce on the important ones?

A building with no workers assigned to it will deteriorate until it's gone. Assign at least one worker if you wish to put the project on hold.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 02:00:04 am by Ratharing »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 14, 2015, 02:39:18 am »

A note on diminishing returns on farm production. By default, you basically have a lot of farmers who make less food than they eat.

For example, I assigned 40 people from farming  to a construction task, and the total food production fell by only 15. So 15 people will die because of this decision, but I freed up 40 workers, meaning a net gain of 25 productive workers. And that's only the first iteration of reassigning people. I plan to adjust things until each remaning farmer grows at least the food he eats. Once I build a market or other food-increasing buildings that will change the equation however.

EDIT: This is for a completely undeveloped province but I've put 80% of people on construction and at this level, there are 48 farmers producing 435 food. So I'm assuming the first farmer feeds ~10 people and it massively drops off after that. Going from 48 farmers to 88 farmers only went from a total of 435 produced foor to 472 produce food, which is less than 40 extra, so literally after about 40 farmers they start eating more than they produce! So, it looks like for basic provinces you don't really want many people on farming at all. They just eat more than they produce. The factors might change after I get my market however, so I'm not cutting the farmers all the way to the bone.

EDIT: I settled on 200 farmers, which gives me about 30 free workers less than ~50 workers, which is the optimum, but I decided starving an extra 120 people wasn't worth freeing up 30 extra labour. I'm kinda hoping that developing the province makes it worthwhile to have a bigger population in a production sense.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:39:47 am by Reelya »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 14, 2015, 03:24:20 am »

Thanks. I'm a little surprised there aren't any 'builds' on a wiki by now.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 14, 2015, 10:00:15 am »

We might be overextending ourselves. I'll leave the details in game, but maybe time to focus on all that long term stuff soon.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 14, 2015, 10:32:55 am »

I don't agree. If we don't make claims now, we'll have no basis for claims later. Holding onto extra provinces now can be used as bargaining chips later. If we let everyone else cover the map, then there's no Armok to be created.

Ratharing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 14, 2015, 10:36:51 am »

EDIT: I settled on 200 farmers, which gives me about 30 free workers less than ~50 workers, which is the optimum, but I decided starving an extra 120 people wasn't worth freeing up 30 extra labour. I'm kinda hoping that developing the province makes it worthwhile to have a bigger population in a production sense.

There's an issue with only having 200 farmers: buildings have minimum population requirements. 200 for mills, 400 for markets, 1200 for fairgrounds, 500 for fishery (if on a coast), 200 for irrigation ditches (if on a river). All of them increase food production.

Besides, if you don't have a populated settlement that means you are sending the food elsewhere, so the inefficiency has merely been transferred.

The good thing about having one or more large settlements is that they allow you to produce high-tier-equipment troops. The benefit of having more medium-sized settlements is that you can train more and faster low-and-medium-tier-equipment troops.

Thanks. I'm a little surprised there aren't any 'builds' on a wiki by now.

There's a wiki and there's the forum. Most of this is in the forum, since there are little incentives to share and document everything you discover. It's a competitive game in a sense, after all.

I don't agree. If we don't make claims now, we'll have no basis for claims later. Holding onto extra provinces now can be used as bargaining chips later. If we let everyone else cover the map, then there's no Armok to be created.

Just be careful who you mess with. If you are too aggressive then you cannot complain about others, stronger than you, treating you exactly that way.
Personally I think it might have been wiser for the Children of Armok to have settled west of the Broken Lake, and not east of it.
In any case, you'll likely have an offer for help from some of my characters in the near future, specially against large and unified realms.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 96