Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 261735 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #2580 on: August 25, 2024, 03:40:02 am »

I don't believe the reasons/motives behind the wars are similar, what I do believe is similar is the attitude to civilian casualties.

Ukraine does not use it's civilians as human shields.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: August 25, 2024, 03:54:27 am »

I don't believe the reasons/motives behind the wars are similar, what I do believe is similar is the attitude to civilian casualties.

Even if we accept Hamas's claims, the number of civilian casualties in Gaza is small considering population density, Hamas tactics and Egypt's cruel policy of not letting anyone flee Gaza. It is proof by itself that, on the strategic level, Israel makes steps to limit civilian casualties.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: August 25, 2024, 04:26:56 am »

Even if we accept Hamas's claims, the number of civilian casualties in Gaza is small considering population density, Hamas tactics and Egypt's cruel policy of not letting anyone flee Gaza. It is proof by itself that, on the strategic level, Israel makes steps to limit civilian casualties.

I guess its just a waste of time arguing with someone who wants to write off anything they don't want to see as "propaganda".
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 07:46:01 am by wobbly »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: August 25, 2024, 07:46:40 am »

It's a hell of a thing when you're considering two different conflicts, and of the four relevant forces involved Ukraine's (well... maybe five and then ukraine and the west bank folks, I don't recall offhand mention of that particular bantustan getting up to that shit?) the only one that hasn't done that :-\

Congrats ukraine, you've managed to hold yourself to a higher ethical standard in conflict than russia, israel, and hamas. You'd think that wouldn't be a high bar to clear but apparently it is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: August 25, 2024, 08:07:11 am »

Egypt's cruel policy of not letting anyone flee Gaza.

I'm not going to dispute the cruel part, what I don't get is why you believe Palestinians from Gaza are more Egypt's problem then Israel's.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: August 25, 2024, 11:42:59 am »

I'm not going to dispute the cruel part, .what I don't get is why you believe Palestinians from Gaza are more Egypt's problem then Israel's

Why? Well... 1) They are not enemies. 2) they share the same religion 3) they are extremely closely related.
 Also, if you believe that Israel is evil and genocidial, you don't ask that. Like you don't ask "why do you believe Ukrainians are more EU's problem than Russia's"

Do you believe Israel should start accepting refugees from Gaza and host them somewhere on their territory? Build camps for them. Maintain law and order in them with armed guards? And, considering that most won't go to Israel anyway, forcefully deport Palestinian women and children in such camps?

Or should Israel accept those in their cities, importing people who will gladly launch terror attacks?

Israel is in no position to assist those who want to leave Gaza and move to a safer place. Egypt is in such a position but chooses not to...

I can easily empathize with Palestinians there. It is easy to imagine neighbors of Ukraine closing borders in February 2022 and saying. "Nope. Die. Try to cross the border and we'll shoot. Keeping you alive is a Russian problem and responsibility."

It would be monstrous... but somehow it is ok in the Gaza case. All people worried about the deathtoll in Gaza (from American students to the UN) put around zero pressure on Egypt. As if Palestinians doesn't matter unlike hurting Israel. After all, more dead Palestinians = easier to tell that Israel is pure evil.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: August 25, 2024, 12:07:19 pm »

Also, if you believe that Israel is evil and genocidial, you don't ask that.

And what if I don't believe Israel is evil and gencodical? Which I don't but current actions and current government and current official government statements are making me question the 2nd a little.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: August 25, 2024, 12:09:47 pm »

Or should Israel accept those in their cities, importing people who will gladly launch terror attacks?

Should Egypt accept potential terrorists?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: August 25, 2024, 12:19:21 pm »

Also, if you believe that Israel is evil and genocidial, you don't ask that.

And what if I don't believe Israel is evil and gencodical? Which I don't but current actions and current government and current official government statements are making me question the 2nd a little.

Strongpoint is a Sith; if you don’t support Israel, you must hate them, with all that entails. There is no middle ground, only support or anti-semitism.

Should Egypt accept potential terrorists?

Another of the issues is whether or not Israel will allow the displaced back into Gaza if they decide to leave. The safe money appears to be on “not”, and I don’t think Egypt wants to be complicit in that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: August 25, 2024, 12:23:22 pm »

Do you believe Israel should start accepting refugees from Gaza and host them somewhere on their territory? Build camps for them.
That's the way it ends without a genocide. The UN could easily pony up the money to build cities, build hope, for them. People who have a future rarely strap bombs to themselves.
We'd apparently rather solve the problem by giving more bombs to Israel.

And, considering that most won't go to Israel anyway, forcefully deport Palestinian women and children in such camps?
Remember near the start of the conflict where Israel went "Hey, uninvolved civilians should go here for safety ... LOL psych get bombed n00bs."
Imagine if instead the first group got nice new apartments, good jobs building new cities for future waves, all the food they can eat, and new phones to send pictures back to their old neighbors. Sure, they know that the new phone has a tracking chip, but so what?

As if Palestinians doesn't matter unlike hurting Israel. After all, more dead Palestinians = easier to tell that Israel is pure evil.
It seems to me that current Israel standing policy is designed to radicalize as many Palestinians as possible against them (because "Look, an enemy is shooting us. I need to stay in power to fight them, and now that they're dying, there's more land for us"). Things will only continue to get worse while the current administration of Israel is in power.

From a realpolitik standpoint, a government policy of basing people who want to violently retaliate against the ones who turned them into refugees, is a recipe for getting Israel to attack Egypt next.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: August 25, 2024, 12:25:38 pm »

I don't claim any in-depth understanding of Egypt's politics, but their recent history with the Muslim Brotherhood suggests to me that their refusal to open borders to a potential influx of radicals from an MB offshoot is not as arbitrarily cruel as it is being painted in Strongpoint's post.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: August 25, 2024, 02:34:39 pm »

That's the way it ends without a genocide. The UN could easily pony up the money to build cities, build hope, for them. People who have a future rarely strap bombs to themselves.
We'd apparently rather solve the problem by giving more bombs to Israel.
If what I described would somehow happen, the world would scream that Israel established concentration camps. And it would actually qualify as such unless Israel ignores security and policing.

Also, strapping bombs is usually not about "no future", it is religious fanatism and genocidal hate deeply ingrained in the culture.

Remember near the start of the conflict where Israel went "Hey, uninvolved civilians should go here for safety ... LOL psych get bombed n00bs."
Israel never claimed that it won't bomb areas they suggest people to move in. They merely said - those areas are safer. It is not the same as entirely safe. And it was completely true. If Hamas respected "go there" zones, bombs wouldn't fall there at all.

Imagine if instead the first group got nice new apartments, good jobs building new cities for future waves, all the food they can eat, and new phones to send pictures back to their old neighbors. Sure, they know that the new phone has a tracking chip, but so what?
Imagined... Unless it is a concentration camp with severe security, It would result in hundreds of dead Jews from stabbing and other attacks. We are talking about people who, after their child's cancer was treated in an Israel hospital, say that they hope that their child will kill Jews in the future.

People living on the border with Gaza were among the most pro-Palestinian, pro-coexistence people of Israel. They hired Palestinians from Gaza, they treated them as equals. Result? Those people helped Hamas to kill, rape, loot. They actively participated in the process. You want to repeat the experience on a larger scale.

I don't claim any in-depth understanding of Egypt's politics, but their recent history with the Muslim Brotherhood suggests to me that their refusal to open borders to a potential influx of radicals from an MB offshoot is not as arbitrarily cruel as it is being painted in Strongpoint's post.

Valid point. I know that. Letting Palestinian refugees in wasn't a nice event for any country that did so. I totally understand not letting men of military age in.  Let women and small children in then. It is not zero potential terrorists but it mitigates security risks. Also, people who hate Hamas, the Palestinian cause, 

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: August 25, 2024, 05:56:04 pm »

Ultimately I suppose it's a war between two different kinds of naive utopianism, which is why it never ends.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: September 03, 2024, 09:54:54 am »

Well, it happened again: I've been attacked (On Reddit) for saying Israel and Hamas are both cunts. In this case, apparently I'm a supporter of terrorism. I was also shadowbanned from the subreddit for this opinion, despite it being ostensibly a politically neutral subreddit.

I can't help but feel that people have been fed a false dichotomy that you *have* to be on one side or the other, and they've fallen for it hook, line and sinker, apparently lacking the critical thinking skills to adopt literally any other position including "I've no idea what's going on so I'm staying out of it". Instead everyone out there seems to think that Israel's either a saintly country or full to the brim of genocide-supporting dickheads, and Palestine is either full of faultless victims or else the Middle Eastern Nazi Germany.

It's so goddamn frustrating because you can't actually hold a conversation or argument about it with anyone without it rapidly devolving into accusations of supporting genocide or war crimes or civilian casualties or what-have-you.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: September 03, 2024, 10:07:26 am »

How dare you try to bring nuance to the conversation.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175