Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 175

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 261987 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #825 on: August 07, 2016, 07:27:42 am »

NATO will not be pleased that their precious hightech anti air measure is outsmarted by Russian drones.

I sure hope anti air laser defense research is progressing well enough.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 07, 2016, 08:17:53 am »

It depends what version of patriot missile was fired. As the older ones are not that good against smaller/drone targets, and had a lot of software problems.

Huge rally of support to Erdogan is expected to be today in Istanbul. Over 100 000 people are expect to be on streets

Aleppo situation has changed drastically, as rebels with several well place suicide bomb attacks managed to break several defense perimeters and in the end the siege it self and connect with their troops that where trapped in the city. But the battle is still ongoing .

Two recorded videos (that dont have any gore and similar) of some of those attacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IECX_63Ebaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MaSjUSfhMk
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:27:10 am by miljan »
Make love not war

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 07, 2016, 08:28:04 am »

Solution: modify Iron Dome to include Iron Drone, low-cost boost-assisted counter drones.

(They could be 'air-to-air' warhead equipped, but I'm thinking that one alternate approach could be to have 'hairy' drones that fly with (or deploy upon proximity, like a retiarius) anchored tangling materials to get caught in enemy-drone props (where they have them) or just catch onto control surfaces and then the resulting tangle of drone/counter-drone falls to earth for possible investigation. I've not yet heard of that idea being used (just a manpad version) but it seems too logical an extension of drone philosophy for nobody else to have thought of it, practicalities and fine-details aside.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:31:23 am by Starver »

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 07, 2016, 08:32:19 am »

Solution: modify Iron Dome to include Iron Drone, low-cost boost-assisted counter drones.

(They could be 'air-to-air' warhead equipped, but I'm thinking that one alternate approach could be to have 'hairy' drones that fly with (or deploy upon proximity, like a retiarius) anchored tangling materials to get caught in enemy-drone props (where they have them) or just catch onto control surfaces and then the resulting tangle of drone/counter-drone falls to earth for possible investigation. I've not yet heard of that idea being used (just a manpad version) but it seems too logical an extension of drone philosophy for nobody else to have thought of it, practicalities and fine-details aside.)

I think the drones we are talking about here are not those small toys/drones that anyone can buy, but this drones:

They can go very fast so any type of entanglement will not work very good
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:39:52 am by miljan »
Make love not war

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 07, 2016, 08:46:26 am »

I think the drones we are talking about here are not those small toys/drones that anyone can buy, but this drones:
I know. And that prop (I deliberately said 'prop' not 'rotors') looks emminantly entangleable.

Short-range (tube-launched, on demand?) rocket-assisted drones with ability of both operator- (initially) and self-guiding (for final closure once it is confirmed as an unmanned target of interest*) that can be designed to either outpace (with JATO?) or close head-to-head with their targets and deploy one or more tethered cast-nets, as already suggested. Alternately a localised ECM/EMP pulse, but I'm not sure that is so unhardenable against vs the necessity of a target to have wingtips that cannot be easily designed to not snag/desnag whilst in flight.  (If a jet/rocket-powered enemy drone doesn't have wings, its probable more like a rocket.)

* Or just the latter, potentially, but that's another issue.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:49:04 am by Starver »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 07, 2016, 09:40:09 am »

Iron Dome is perfectly capable of intercepting drones as it is; however, due to a "variety of technical reasons", it was unable to intercept the drone on that day.
._.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 07, 2016, 09:56:05 am »

Iron Dome is perfectly capable of intercepting drones as it is;
At great expense, it has to be said. (And already has been.)

An Iron Drome add-on just seems like it is worth investigation. And I have no doubt that better mnds than I are investigating it.

(But I did go so far as to spec up the possible way of deploying of a 50m net (made using chorded dental floss, as my initial model, because that's easily at hand and has the right sort of properties to begin with) that might be able to sufficiently entangle an MQ9 from front or rear. Too many assumptions, of course, but...)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 07, 2016, 10:36:14 am »

Or y'know throw a warhead with proximity fuse on your fancy drone instead of a net.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 07, 2016, 10:49:20 am »

Or y'know throw a warhead with proximity fuse on your fancy drone instead of a net.
Not unconsidered.

They could be 'air-to-air' warhead equipped, but
[...]
resulting tangle of drone/counter-drone falls to earth for possible investigation.
(Never mind the more minimal refurbishment costs for reusing the 'interceptor' if it doesn't probably destroy itself in the process.)

I know I'm being no more than an Armchair General(/Air Chief Marshall) with this, but even if drone destruction can be made reliable, is that all we want out of such a system?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 07, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »

The entire Russian Paralympic Games team has been banned from participating. Those bloody disabled have been clearly given steroids by Putin himself, no doubt.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 07, 2016, 12:30:10 pm »

There's no need for a ban, they can just bleed them before the race and it'll all be fair.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 07, 2016, 12:41:55 pm »

The entire Russian Paralympic Games team has been banned from participating. Those bloody disabled have been clearly given steroids by Putin himself, no doubt.

Oh come on, even the PARAlympics? That's so low.... I'm not neccesarily surprised, every sport has it's doping issues, just that they'd go that far.

I understand the reasoning behind not punishing innocent athletes, but at this point, it seems like it would make better sense to ban Russia from various sporting events if it's that pervasive....

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 07, 2016, 12:51:12 pm »

"The Russian government has catastrophically failed its Para-athletes. Their medals over morals mentality disgusts me. The complete corruption of the anti-doping system is contrary to the rules and strikes at the very heart of the spirit of Paralympic sport.
Collective punishment, however, obviously does not violate the spirit of Paralympic sport.
._.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 07, 2016, 02:36:08 pm »

Over million people on pro Erdogan protests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An6E_i0vW-A
Make love not war

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 07, 2016, 02:43:36 pm »

NATO will not be pleased that their precious hightech anti air measure is outsmarted by Russian drones.

I sure hope anti air laser defense research is progressing well enough.

Boeing already produces a two-man portable anti-drone laser system.

Over million people on pro Erdogan protests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An6E_i0vW-A

Erdö also said that if Turks want death penalty, there'll be death penalty.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 175