Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2015  (Read 14100 times)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2015
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2015, 03:57:57 am »

How have you managed 6,400 words already!?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2015, 04:49:54 am »

I found the dream I was planning on turning into a novel.
Will have to smash some iced coffee and try and quickly work out an outline for the story. I don't know WTF I'm doing.
Trying to think of anything story-related is making me weirdly anxious. I remember I used to enjoy writing, even if I'd get bored of whatever I started to write fairly quickly.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2015, 10:31:54 am »

How have you managed 6,400 words already!?

fleshed out full character sheets for 5 or 6 characters and updated more for returning ones. 13 chapters outlined, with 33 scenes or so, each with descriptions. Did a couple minor stage setting documents.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2015, 01:28:04 pm »

Why is naming characters so hard? I hammered out almost 2000 words, but I wouldn't have finished half that if I hadn't started filling in things like [IMPORTANT DOUCHEBAG] and [MACHINIST].
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2015, 01:48:49 pm »

Why is naming characters so hard? I hammered out almost 2000 words, but I wouldn't have finished half that if I hadn't started filling in things like [IMPORTANT DOUCHEBAG] and [MACHINIST].

For side characters, my method is to dive onto the Wikipedia pages containing the common first names and surnames of a country that is either the setting or an approximate of the setting, then select a first name and surname that at least sound decently.  If its a main character, I mess around on a meaning of names site and find something quasi-related to some aspect.  Sometimes dive into google translate and grab a word from another language that means the particular aspect of the character.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2015, 02:05:53 pm »

Go the Fallen London route and call them the Important Douchebag and the Unassuming Machinist or something.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2015, 05:58:40 pm »

Behind the Name is useful for names of real-life or real-life-inspired cultures, but if that's not necessary, I get by with syllable mashing. You just let your fingers wander around the keyboard until you come up with something kinda decent. You might spend the next 50,000 words regretting the name, but if you're anything like me, you'll just let it stay because it's less work than thinking up something perfect.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2015, 06:55:16 pm »

I use placeholders, usually words or names that have vague relations to the personality of the character. Usually they end up feeling right over time, either because they change a little to accommodate or else I get more used to them. If at any point I come up with something better fitting, find and replace exists to make it an instant reality :D Of course, that spoils the rhythm of the text, but that's just another thing for the rewrite to fix - the more things left over to fix, the more entertaining a rewrite becomes to push through.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2015, 09:40:17 pm »

Wow you guys are productive. How could I expect anything else of Bay 12, however?
I'll be catching up on my writing tomorrow.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2015, 12:43:06 am »

Today's writing hasn't been so good  :-\. It appears as though planning might actually have a use and that just making things up as you go doesn't always work out. Oh well, I'll just type words until something works out.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2015, 01:01:16 am »

I got ~1200 yesterday and ~1400 hundred today. I'm hoping it becomes easier as I go.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2015, 01:32:01 am »

I ended up writing some terrifyingly subversive stuff that I didn't even know I had in me. Part of me wants to bury this and try to tame it to Oprah Standard, but I also know it's the best it can be for the book's message as a whole. I guess I could always set it up to publish posthumously... in any case, 5385 words, self-censorship later.
Music, Ballpoint

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2015, 06:21:59 am »

'subversive'?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2015, 08:44:31 am »

'subversive'?
Not in the destructive sense. More Catcher in the Rye
Music, Ballpoint

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2015, 01:36:25 pm »

'subversive'?
Not in the destructive sense. More Catcher in the Rye
Then write.  We need more people willing to say things that aren't quoting Oprah.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12