Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Armored Warfare-Totally not WoT  (Read 9206 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armored Warfare-Totally not WoT
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2015, 12:59:38 pm »

So far I can't remember having had single game where artillery was the top damage dealer and not once did I have the thought of "this could have been a nice game, if it wasn't for arty."
i had both a lot. the warning isnt much worth if my alternative to eating the arty shell is to leav my cover and get blown to bits by other tanks. sure, one hit from the arty is less powerful, but then, arty seems to fire much more often.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2015, 01:38:47 pm »

If your already surrounded to the degree that you can't even relocate without getting blown up by other tanks, it's not the arty that is your most imminent problem. And with the low alpha, you atleast have the possibility to react even when pinned down, so you can pop smoke or stop peeking the ridge so you get unspotted. And with their fast reloads arties won't keep aiming at you if your not permaspotted.

I simply can't come up with any situation where the low alpha AW arty gives you less options to react then the oneshotting WoT arty.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2015, 03:42:00 pm »

Yeah, when I play arty, I specifically look for people who have put themselves into bad positions, then fire so that they have to choose between eating my shell or moving out of cover and being shot by my team. The key is to not get yourself in those situations.

CB fire is an interesting dynamic, dependent heavily on the skill of the enemy arty. If they're good, you're better off just shooting at enemy tanks and avoiding any fire they send your way, but if they aren't you can usually take them out of the fight quickly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2015, 08:37:52 pm »

kay, played some more, arty proably realy isnt that bad as i felt it the first games i encountered it.
as said before, not a bad game.
however, i found one thing i REALY REALY hate, and that is unlocking these retrofit thingies. it forces me to play tanks i hate to upgrade completely different tanks. i can see where the devs want to encurage players to play all their toys, and the fact that i can ust kill bots mitigates the fuckup slightly.
still, killing bots doesnt net much xp, and i find this to be even more frustrating then unlocking guns in wot.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2015, 07:25:53 am »

You're in luck then

Developers are planning to overhaul the Retrofit system so that the players won’t have to play vehicles or classes they don’t want to play just to unlock the Retrofit they desire. In the future, there will be multiple ways of obtaining Retrofits (from multiple vehicles and from a “production” system that is not yet implemented). Another variant that is for example considered is to allow the players to select any Retrofit module they want and unlock its Mk.3 variant when the “top” vehicle of the branch the player is using is unlocked (so the player can play whichever branch he or she wants without having to take available Retrofits into account)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2015, 07:51:02 am »

nais :)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2015, 05:41:50 pm »

So, just in case anyone isn't aware, Obsidian's running a big special for Thanksgiving/Black Friday. There's a 3x experience multiplier on all matches, both PvE and PvP, and that's still up. They're also running a big giveaway of a set of tanks with special camo patterns--some are premium, some aren't, and it's something like 150ish items in total (single tanks, an assortment of multi-tank bundles). The first round is over, but the second is from Dec. 4-6th, and all you have to do is win 5 PvP matches to enter the drawing.

3. Run Resize Enable

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2015, 10:43:51 pm »

If this isn't a good simulation, then it's garbage, just like WoT.

The whole "NO ONE SHOTS GUYZ" thing turned me off, as a tank could realistically have its fuel/ammo popped and flame out.

See Battleground Europe for proper (albeit primitive) tank mechanics.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2015, 12:32:34 am »

Honestly? I'm not the biggest fan of the game, but I'd take a decently made non-sim over a primitive yet proper sim. It sounds like you just want to complain.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 12:50:07 am »

I want more games to take the approach to simulation IL-2 Sturmovik did. But until then we'll take what we can get.
Plus, not all games have to be simulators, I always found WoT to be pretty arcadey and silly... health points? What tank in real life do you know has a health bar?
Sometimes games have to abstract things to function, or be enjoyable.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 02:04:01 am »

If this isn't a good simulation, then it's garbage, just like WoT.

The whole "NO ONE SHOTS GUYZ" thing turned me off, as a tank could realistically have its fuel/ammo popped and flame out.

See Battleground Europe for proper (albeit primitive) tank mechanics.
Whats the no one shots thing? Because I am rather certain that you can be ammoracked and explode in this.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 11:01:45 am »

You can't actually, or it's really really hard to do so, which is a good thing. Dying without being able to react because someone rolled high is retarded and not very fun.

If you want simulator tanks, play WT, I'll take my no-bullshit arcade any day of the week over that.

Anyways, the special was pretty damn nice, got myself a Challenger 1 and about 250k reputation on it just by doing PvE missions with some folks, netting about 10k rep each game was super fun, gonna be hard to adjust to much less now X)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 11:18:23 am »

Hah. More like if you want to play simulators, go play Steel Beasts. This is like coming into a CounterStrike board to bitch about how they aren't playing ArmA.

3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2015, 03:07:23 pm »

What about Red Orchestra 2?

Hell, I think you can buy actual simulators for tanks, the thing that most of NATO uses. Costs something like $130.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 03:52:29 pm »

RO2 is more of a tinnitus simulator than anything else.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5