Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Armored Warfare-Totally not WoT  (Read 9217 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Armored Warfare-Totally not WoT
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 01:13:01 pm »

Definitely play more PvP, then. I've only done PvE for my dailies and I've never not had enough cash to unlock new vehicles, even when I bought three lines at once. I imagine that that'll change a bit once things start costing 1m+ credits in higher tiers, but credit gain seems pretty solid. I don't think I've seen a profit of <14k even when I sucked.

But yeah, that's one thing that's really stood out to me: just about everything is enjoyable to drive, even if it's the sort of thing where you have to be cautious. The BMP-1 is an absolute riot, fast as shit, tiny profile, and a surprisingly nasty gun.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 10:37:25 pm »

I'm sort of having difficulty understanding some aspects of the game, such as why one round might pierce where another wouldn't (I mean, sure I get that a round that has traveled for a longer time loses some of its strength due to air resistance, and against certain angles of armor), what artillery is good for (not that I've unlocked it yet), and more general things like where I should be trying to aim, or what sort of ammunition is good in certain situations, what the two rings on the map mean, or what the little things around the mini view of your tank in the bottom left means.

Are guides relevant to World of Tanks still relevant here? Because there don't seem to be many for Armored Warfare just yet.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:58:55 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 11:11:59 pm »

While kinetic rounds (AP, APFSDS, etc.) lose effectiveness over distance because of air resistance etc., shaped charges (HEAT, missiles, etc.) don't rely on velocity at all to do damage. However, SC is defeated easily by ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor) which are those cube looking plates you see on some of the later tier vehicles, and anti-heat cages which are those cage-looking things you'll see around certain vehicles. As to whether to use AP or HEAT is situational. Typically you want to use HEAT on anything that isn't a main battle tank as long as it doesn't have ERA on it. If you fire high-penetrating APFSDS at an AFV, for example, the round will 'overpenetrate' and go straight through one end and out the other without dealing much damage.

High explosive works differently. The round has some penetrating power but most of the damage is going to be the large non-penetrating explosion. Rounds like SQUASH, HESH, HEP are a special type of HE shell because instead of penetrating or just creating a large explosion, they rely on spreading a plastic explosive across a portion of the armor's surface ('squash'ing the plastic explosive) which detonates and creates a shockwave that causes the inner armor portion of the tank to spall (armor shrapnel) and injure crew inside without actually penetrating. These rounds are defeated by spall lining, and more modern kinds of armor. (Edit: I don't believe HE rounds rely on armor angles to do damage, just armor thickness at point of impact, but I could be wrong. No idea about HESH because using it is so situational it's likely never going to be a concern)

Most of the gameplay mechanics are not explained in tutorials but rather on loading screen hints. The two rings on the map, for example, are the global spotting distance (Max spotting range for any vehicle) and your current spotting range (the white circle). You can't spot vehicles outside your spotting range, but you can still shoot vehicles outside spotting range if another vehicle has spotted them. The rings around your tank in the bottom left are an approximation of the camouflage that objects around you are providing, and the meter at the bottom of that display is your current camouflage rating. AFVs don't lose camouflage as long as they aren't going at high speeds, but if you shoot or move then this will go down. Artillery is basically an anti-camp tool and a support fire tank. They don't do tons and tons of damage, but they can damage multiple vehicles if they are all sitting next to each other, typically fire pretty quickly with autoloaders, and they can even drop smoke rounds (grants camouflage bonus) or illumination rounds (removes camo value from enemies).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:14:23 pm by OzyTheSage »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 11:38:36 pm »

So far I'm rather enjoying the Dragoon 300-90, after the tedious task of unlocking it, so that's good. It seems to match my style, though I don't quite get why I may receive the sniper bonus on one shot, where I wouldn't on another.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 11:44:12 pm »

Sniper bonus relies on your crosshair to be at the minimum size (maximum accuracy) and is a mechanic exclusive to TDs. You can tell you'll get the bonus when there's a widely spaced, open yellow cross surrounding your crosshair.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 03:12:58 am »

Also simply paying attention to the damage readout when you shoot someone is a good way to figure out what works against what. Just note that overpenetration is mislabeled as overmatch for some reason, so whenever you get overmatch on something that means you should probably switch to HEAT.
Also HE is good for things you can't pen or things that present their rear or engine deck to you, because engine deck hits do double damage and have a pretty good chance of killing the engine outright. HESH is kinda like HE except you deal less HP damage but there's a much bigger chance of damaging modules and crew, even when you don't pen (with regular HE you'll mostly be damaging outside modules unless you penetrate). Combined with crew skills and Ioannis (TD commander unlocked from the LAV-300) this can get pretty damn silly in certain tanks that have acess to good HE and HESH ammo because you'll be critting a couple of modules with every shot.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 06:11:00 am »

I'm sort of liking the recon tanks as well, particularly the XM800T at the moment. It generally ends up being like a piece of code, the matches I've played.

IF ENEMY.ARTILLERY = TRUE;
    LOOK_FOR_OPENING();
    SEEK_AND_DESTROY();
ELSE
     SCOUT();
ENDIF

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 08:12:49 am »

Yeah, the little autocannon buggers are hella fun. I'm enjoying the AMX10P atm, nothing quite like flanking an MBT who's busy with something apparently scarier, marking him, then emptying the whole HEI clip into his ass for half his HP.
Or generally anything with thin armour and a decent reload time, like a glass cannon bully :D
AS - IG

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 08:18:48 am »

If it only weren't like 20gbs... ;_;
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2015, 08:27:29 am »

That's one of the big issues, but hey, the amount of big maps and tanks has to go somewhere :/
Also if you didn't know, you can delete the installation files once you're done to clear up some space, useful if you don't plan on reinstalling the game anytime soon.
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 08:52:14 am »

Heh, these days it's more like "At least it's only 20GB," right?

Also simply paying attention to the damage readout when you shoot someone is a good way to figure out what works against what. Just note that overpenetration is mislabeled as overmatch for some reason, so whenever you get overmatch on something that means you should probably switch to HEAT.
Also HE is good for things you can't pen or things that present their rear or engine deck to you, because engine deck hits do double damage and have a pretty good chance of killing the engine outright. HESH is kinda like HE except you deal less HP damage but there's a much bigger chance of damaging modules and crew, even when you don't pen (with regular HE you'll mostly be damaging outside modules unless you penetrate). Combined with crew skills and Ioannis (TD commander unlocked from the LAV-300) this can get pretty damn silly in certain tanks that have acess to good HE and HESH ammo because you'll be critting a couple of modules with every shot.

Mm, it's sorta absurd. I hit another Dragoon squarely with a HEP/HESH (whatever the precise one it gets is) round and got something like six or seven module+crew kill/damage markers.

3. Run Resize Enable

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2015, 10:16:53 am »

Fuck the hard drive space, the real problem is horrible download speed down here. I really need a better connection. :/
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2015, 11:15:11 am »

TFW of waiting several minutes for a match as arty, then getting a completely and utterly shit lemming team (as in, 11 tanks go one side, two remaining are arty and stay in base and two go watch the other side, middle of map is uncontested) and the match ends in like five minutes. I really wanna play arty, but the wait times combined with the general inability to do anything about these kinds of teams is really making that hard :V
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 05:35:33 pm »

Three free days of Premium for Halloween weekend, and each day has a decal or two you can unlock by winning 3 or 5 matches.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 05:49:35 pm »

Actually the premium time is a kind of "we're sorry for the issues" apology because there were some issues with folks losing their premium time. So they reset all pruchased premium time so far and gave everyone a bonus 3 days just because.

Also last patch lessened the grind somewhat by increasing both rep and credit gains, most noticeable in mid to high tiers it seems (low tiers were a breeze for the most part), which is good because I'm almost up to the bagelpanzer which seems really nice and a single good match with the daily double and free prem time nets well over 4k rep :D
AS - IG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5